Please explain this skill

in Revenant

Posted by: Skor.4652

Skor.4652

Can someone please explain the hammer ability Coalescence of Ruin?

The tooltip says it hits 3 times, with 3 strikes on the ground. I have used it many times but I only ever see one strike and one damage number in my combat log when I use it. Seems rather underwhelming if it is only going to hit one.

What am I missing? I’ve even taken my other hammerbolt off of auto attack just so I can isolate COR and I still only ever see one damage striker per usage of the skill.

in Revenant

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

it does a total of kitten across the 3 phases of dmg.

So if phase 1 hit 5 times phase 2 and 3 deal 0 dmg

Basically means this skill is God tier at range an in melee it meh.

in Revenant

Skor.4652

Is there an English version of that explanation?

in Revenant

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

it does a total of kitten across the 3 phases of dmg

It does three attacks, each one cascading outwards, but they do not overlap.

It can hit a maximum of 5 players total. Each attack being AOE, but as mentioned not overlapping.

The first attack is weak, but gains damage with each cascade. With the final hit dealing lots of damage at 900-1200 range, but being fairly weak in melee.

Hope that helps.

in Revenant

Skor.4652

it does a total of kitten across the 3 phases of dmg

It does three attacks, each one cascading outwards, but they do not overlap.

It can hit a maximum of 5 players total. Each attack being AOE, but as mentioned not overlapping.

The first attack is weak, but gains damage with each cascade. With the final hit dealing lots of damage at 900-1200 range, but being fairly weak in melee.

Hope that helps.

So basically it’s only one attack with different damage values at 3 different ranges? So any one target will always only get hit once. But if multiple mobs are in the area at different ranges they will take the damage that correlates to their range, but still only hit once each?

in Revenant

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

It strikes,
Small damage -> Medium damage -> Large damage
on a timed cascade. It is 3 sepperate attacks. I’m not sure but I think it’s 5 targets per each packet for a total of 15 possible strikes spread over 15 unique foes, similar to Berserker’s Scorched Earth longbow burst skill.

An enemy can only be struck by this ability once per unique cast. Because it cascades it is possible to get two strike checks on the ending/leading edges of 2 packets. This was causing huge damage so it was fixed to only strike once with a hidden cooldown of some sort preventing a second strike. I imagine it functions similar to fire aura’s 1sec cooldown per unique attacker.

For example,
I occasionally cast CoR while blinded and I both miss and strike with a single cast.

in Revenant

Skor.4652

It strikes,
on a timed cascade. It is 3 sepperate attacks. I’m not sure but I think it’s 5 targets per each packet for a total of 15 possible strikes spread over 15 unique foes, similar to Berserker’s Scorched Earth longbow burst skill.

An enemy can only be struck by this ability once per unique cast. Because it cascades it is possible to get two strike checks on the ending/leading edges of 2 packets. This was causing huge damage so it was fixed to only strike once with a hidden cooldown of some sort preventing a second strike. I imagine it functions similar to fire aura’s 1sec cooldown per unique attacker.

For example,
I occasionally cast CoR while blinded and I both miss and strike with a single cast.

Thanks to those of you who cleared this up for me. The wording on this is very misleading. I was thinking this was going to be the mains source of dps for this build. Seems lackluster now.

I’m kind of wishing I hadn’t purchased the Heart of Thorns upgrade now. After reading this forum, I’ll probably go back to my engineer or ranger. It’s too bad, because I like the idea of the play mechanics of the Rev. But if it can’t perform, it’s pointless.

in Revenant

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

It strikes,

For example,

Thanks to those of you who cleared this up for me. The wording on this is very misleading. I was thinking this was going to be the mains source of dps for this build. Seems lackluster now.

I’m kind of wishing I hadn’t purchased the Heart of Thorns upgrade now. After reading this forum, I’ll probably go back to my engineer or ranger. It’s too bad, because I like the idea of the play mechanics of the Rev. But if it can’t perform, it’s pointless.

Hammer rev isn’t good DPS. It’s ok ranged DPS but mostly it’s for ranged spike. The best places to use it are probably solo pve (because ranged cleaving DPS) and WvW for heavy ranged cleaving spike.

WvW play with hammer rev,
https://youtu.be/iCd3jw2ovI4
https://youtu.be/Gkp3_P16DCI