Ranger vs revenant

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: azzandil.2564

azzandil.2564

So I’m fairly new and I have a ranger and revenant both around lvl 62 and I just don’t know what to choose. Which can do more dps because I’d like to stick to one and I like dealing a lot of damage and what’s rev better than ranger at and vise versa. Thanks

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Choose anything over rev. Rev is good at nothing, even for harvesting thief is better due to superior mobility.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

in a WvW fight a rev will out heal a druid with the most recent patch. in a WvW team fight rev will last longer but deal a little less damage. in a WvW roaming ranger is an uncontested choice. outside of WvW ranger kittens on rev in pve and in pvp a rev is just a resistance bot which mesmer does a better job of anyway.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: azzandil.2564

azzandil.2564

in a WvW fight a rev will out heal a druid with the most recent patch. in a WvW team fight rev will last longer but deal a little less damage. in a WvW roaming ranger is an uncontested choice. outside of WvW ranger kittens on rev in pve and in pvp a rev is just a resistance bot which mesmer does a better job of anyway.

Alright thanks for the advice guys sticking with ranger now. Know any build that would increase dps?

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Hold up a moment! Which do you enjoy playing? Because in the end, that’s what matters. Watch some videos of endgame play with both classes and figure out which mechanics you prefer. DPS only matters in Raids, and is heavily dependent on the current metagame. If you choose a class solely on the basis of it being able to deal fractionally more damage, but don’t actually enjoy how it plays, you are going to be dissapointed. The Rev puts out plenty of damage, so don’t be daunted by that. The question is, which play style do you enjoy the most?

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Malchior.5732

Malchior.5732

Revenant can be fun to play around with IMO. It was some problems with build diversity and some trait lines can feel either too focused or too unfocused. There’s also very clear weaknesses to conditions, crowd control and/or ranged enemies.
It also seems very forced into the elite spec.

On the PvE side of things, it’s kinda middle of the road. It doesn’t excel at anything so it’s not really asked for much content, but it’s also pretty versatile.
It has decent DPS, it can heal, it can tank, it can support, but doesn’t do any job better than any other class.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Revenant is a more DPS oriented class. In PvP revenant far outpressures any ranger DPS build, and revenant has aoe damage which is omething ranger sorely lacks, which is why nobody wants rangers for zerg play unless it’s a druid healer.

Ranger in WvW also means, get used to your pet being useless and dead immediately in any teamfight since unlike PvE pets get no aoe protection. They die immediately and go on a 50 sec cd.

Ranger on a tanky build is a better duelist, that’s about it. Revenant is a far superior team fighter for PvP, which is why zergs want them. You give out boons easily, and you are durable in the frontline when built for it. Ranger can’t frontline at all.

Ranger is wanted over rev for PvE on TWO conditions:

1- That you play a healer (druid).
2- That you play the ranger condi damage build, which is mainhand axe and torch. If you find that weaponset not to your liking, or you want to use a power build, you are out of options.

Ranger power build at best does 22k DPS under optimal scenarios. Revenant optimal output is around 30k DPS on a power build.

Ranger condi build easily puts out 36k, but the caveat is that it only applies for stationary targets who sit in your Bonfire aoe.

Ranger condi build is a superior DPS class, but understand that it’s a very limited build with very little aoe outside bonfire and in open world PvE it’s really deficient compared to a power revenant.

Ranger has more mobility for travel than revenant. Staff+greatsword is a lot of mobility, though revenant also has easy access to perma swiftness.

Revenant Hammer>>>>>>>>>Ranger Longbow in PvE as far as ranged weapons go. Rev hammer hits harder, cleaves baseline (rangers have to trait so their arrows hit more than one target), and revenant hammer autoattack does not depend on target distance, only their #2 skill does.

If you play ranger, be prepared to be asked to go druid if they need a healer. That’s the primary reason a group will want you.

And be prepared to deal with the garbage pet, because pets in this game are terrible and don’t scale with food, potions, runes/sigils, or ascended gear upgrades, and the pet swap death penalty if a high end mob chooses to 2 shot your pet is pretty stupid.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Rangerdeity.5847

Revenant is a more DPS oriented class. In PvP revenant far outpressures any ranger DPS build, and revenant has aoe damage which is omething ranger sorely lacks, which is why nobody wants rangers for zerg play unless it’s a druid healer.

2- That you play the ranger condi damage build, which is mainhand axe and torch. If you find that weaponset not to your liking, or you want to use a power build, you are out of options.

and yet as of the recent balance patch in WvW revs have become the best healers outside of arcane water tempest auramancers. they pop 10k heal that pair with regen and protection boons literally every 2 seconds. with infinite access to knockback alacrity and condi clearing and projectile blocking. in PvE it depends if your team is spread out a ranger is good but an ele is probably better but then again spirits are bae.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

and yet as of the recent balance patch in WvW revs have become the best healers outside of arcane water tempest auramancers. they pop 10k heal that pair with regen and protection boons literally every 2 seconds. with infinite access to knockback alacrity and condi clearing and projectile blocking. in PvE it depends if your team is spread out a ranger is good but an ele is probably better but then again spirits are bae.

Um, no. Ventari has raw healing, but it provides neither grace of the land (10% extra damage for affected allies is huge), spotter for 7% extra crit, or the combined condi cleanse and blind of seeds let alone the daze of lunar impact.

As ventari if you’re maintaining alacrity, it’s only 60% uptime, and you can’t cast anything at all to maintain that 60% uptime. So, no, you aren’t doing reflects if you’re doing alacrity.

More importantly, you’re useless to boot because you don’t have the energy to do anything with your weapons worth a kitten .

Tempest healing is mobile and has no wind up delay, and they fart out boons while all you do is heal. Rangers also can use their utilities and elites without cutting into their healing output or boon provision.

I’ll still take a mallyx/glint rev over a ventari any day. Providing resistance to your group is far more important.

In PvE ventari rev is useless, nobody needs a raw healer much like most meta groups don’t even bother with magi druids and make them go DPS stats because you don’t need that much healing unless the group is really bad. In which case you’ll probably fail mechanic checks anyways regardless of how much the rev can heal.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I came from druid to Herald because hammer damage is hilarious in comparison to rangers longbow. But maybe that isn’t your cup of tea?

https://youtu.be/iCd3jw2ovI4

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Rudedawg.1876

Rudedawg.1876

It depends on whether you plan on pvping a lot or not.

Personally I cannot seriously pvp with a character with such a “clunky” way of applying stability.

Can a Rev apply stability – yes.

Is it intuitive and flow with the game – no.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Napo.1230

Napo.1230

I came from druid to Herald because hammer damage is hilarious in comparison to rangers longbow. But maybe that isn’t your cup of tea?

New to rev and this is exactly why, great video!

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: allias.1420

allias.1420

It depends on whether you plan on pvping a lot or not.

Personally I cannot seriously pvp with a character with such a “clunky” way of applying stability.

Can a Rev apply stability – yes.

Is it intuitive and flow with the game – no.

If that’s your only worry in pvp then you’re not looking at the bigger picture.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Um, no. Ventari has raw healing, but it provides neither grace of the land (10% extra damage for affected allies is huge), spotter for 7% extra crit, or the combined condi cleanse and blind of seeds let alone the daze of lunar impact.

As ventari if you’re maintaining alacrity, it’s only 60% uptime, and you can’t cast anything at all to maintain that 60% uptime. So, no, you aren’t doing reflects if you’re doing alacrity.

More importantly, you’re useless to boot because you don’t have the energy to do anything with your weapons worth a kitten .

Tempest healing is mobile and has no wind up delay, and they fart out boons while all you do is heal. Rangers also can use their utilities and elites without cutting into their healing output or boon provision.

I’ll still take a mallyx/glint rev over a ventari any day. Providing resistance to your group is far more important.

In PvE ventari rev is useless, nobody needs a raw healer much like most meta groups don’t even bother with magi druids and make them go DPS stats because you don’t need that much healing unless the group is really bad. In which case you’ll probably fail mechanic checks anyways regardless of how much the rev can heal.

I can’t remember the last time I had Grace of the Land in effect. Most Druids don’t run Skirmishing either. I can’t say since I don’t play Ranger.

You’re missing a huge part of Ventari. It can heal massively while CC’d. Stability is important since your weapons provide blocks and evades, but you can still heal yourself while CC’d.

The common myth is there won’t be enough energy to use weapon skills etc. That is completely false. While using Natural Harmony there is a wind up time before its cast. Your energy fills up by about 5% while it’s casting.

Ventari’s Will heals pretty modestly also, and it’s very cheap. It moves quickly towards your target so it’s almost guaranteed to heal your ally who is likely mobile.

“Tempest is mobile” and so is Ventari. I constantly kite enemies while healing allies with the tablet. It gets easier once you’re accustomed to it.

A neat trick for landing Natural Harmony on your opponents is to cast it first, but right as you start to cast it use Ventari’s Will to move it to your ally.

Ventari like most Rev builds has a high skill cap. And you might say Tempest grants boons, but so does Ventari’s Will and Facet of Nature. Ventari’s applies regen and protection everytime it moves (which is very often), and Facet of Nature activated every 30 seconds which applies 5 total boons (might, fury, protection, regeneration, swiftness).

Don’t forget Glint stance too. That is a boonshare machine.

Then Ventari has a projectile denial bubble used to secure revives/stomps and to block bursts. It gradually uses energy and can easily be cancelled any time.

I’ve played with Ventari for quite a while now and it’s a lot more complex on the inside than on the surface. It’s also grossly underestimated. Took it to a dueling server and a guy started trolling me with his burn guard build because he couldn’t kill me.

(edited by Abelisk.4527)

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

I can’t remember the last time I had Grace of the Land in effect. Most Druids don’t run Skirmishing either. I can’t say since I don’t play Ranger.

You’re missing a huge part of Ventari. It can heal massively while CC’d. Stability is important since your weapons provide blocks and evades, but you can still heal yourself while CC’d.

The common myth is there won’t be enough energy to use weapon skills etc. That is completely false. While using Natural Harmony there is a wind up time before its cast. Your energy fills up by about 5% while it’s casting.

Ventari’s Will heals pretty modestly also, and it’s very cheap. It moves quickly towards your target so it’s almost guaranteed to heal your ally who is likely mobile.

“Tempest is mobile” and so is Ventari. I constantly kite enemies while healing allies with the tablet. It gets easier once you’re accustomed to it.

A neat trick for landing Natural Harmony on your opponents is to cast it first, but right as you start to cast it use Ventari’s Will to move it to your ally.

Ventari like most Rev builds has a high skill cap. And you might say Tempest grants boons, but so does Ventari’s Will and Facet of Nature. Ventari’s applies regen and protection everytime it moves (which is very often), and Facet of Nature activated every 30 seconds which applies 5 total boons (might, fury, protection, regeneration, swiftness).

Don’t forget Glint stance too. That is a boonshare machine.

Then Ventari has a projectile denial bubble used to secure revives/stomps and to block bursts. It gradually uses energy and can easily be cancelled any time.

I’ve played with Ventari for quite a while now and it’s a lot more complex on the inside than on the surface. It’s also grossly underestimated. Took it to a dueling server and a guy started trolling me with his burn guard build because he couldn’t kill me.

Natural Harmony is a 20 energy cost, which means it takes 4 seconds of full upticks to cast another, and alacrity is only applied for 3 seconds and natural a harmony has a delayed application of 1 seconds. 3/5 seconds i 60% uptime of alacrity.

And that’s assuming you dedicate all your energy to Natural Harmony, which means casting nothing else. You use any weaponskill, you delay your next Natural Harmony by 2 seconds.

You move ventari tablet, that’s a 1 second delay to using your natural harmony again.

If you switch to Glint, that’s 10 seconds of not healing or giving alacrity just so you can slap on some boons, and if you went ventari rev you’re useless in glint besides the boons because you do garbage DPS.

Tempest heals move with the ele automatically. Ventari rev sacrifices to move the tablet to use a heal because every single skill they use draw from the same limited resource.

It’s like saying a thief can blind and headshot at the same time. Not really, since both headshot and black powder compete for initiative just as revenant skills compete for energy.

It has nothing to do about skill cap, especially when ele is already a high skill cap class given the management of 20 weaponskills with differing cooldowns and being a class with the lowest base ehalth and armor in a frontline and relatively long cd’s on stunbreaks and defensive cd’s like mist form and arcane shield.

Ventari rev is a gimmick that may work in WvW zergs because you can use others as your meat shield to keep focus off you. It works nowhere else, be that PvE or spvp. It brings nothing but healing, and if it wants to do something else such as reflect or give boons it doesn’t heal instead. Multitasking and the energy system don’t go together, you commit to a single task with the current way energy and energy costs are designed.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Revenant does not have better raw healing. The classes have the same hps overtime.

• The Druid has better burst, but its hps oscillates between high and low. It is perfect for raids, but perhaps not for WvW.
  • The Ventari can maintain a medium hps between the high and low of druid. It is perfect for WvW, but perhaps not for Raids.

OP the best part of Revenant is that it can sustain the abilities of other classes for much longer duration than they themselves can, and essentially on demand.

The unfortunate part is that this sustain prevents us from multitasking, and when its unnecessary it also makes the class unnecessary.

• A Revenant can perma projectile denial, OR it can perma stability
  • A Guardian can burst projectile denial AND stability. Its not perma but they can do both enough that you dont need Revenant for that.

@ Zenith

Ele is punished for multitasking with large cds instead of energy costs, destroying their sustain. And their burst healing is punished because of their access to water fields.

The only way your statement is accurate is if you count the healing from blasting water fields. But not all of those blasts come from the tempest.

While its true Ventari has been made unnecessary by Tempest, that is not because Tempest is better at healing in any way.

edit: Simultaneous condition removal does not count as healing, even though it can remove damaging conditions.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

(edited by Daniel Handler.4816)

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Rangerdeity.5847

well this is a problem with rangers long bow it has been nerfed into the ground. i mean honestly its big nasty almighty 5 is an aoe cripple with kitten tier damage. i mean it should be a weaker version of meteor storm but nah its just an aoe cripple with a long cast time and moderate to long CD.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Have any of you even played Ventari, and if so for how long?

You might claim it doesn’t belong in sPvP but my 9 win streak proves it’s a worthy support role.

Ventari grants raw healing, alacrity which doesn’t need to be kept up constantly (even Mesmers can’t upkeep alacrity for long either), condi cleanse, CC, projectile denial, all possible even while CC’d.

I’ve impressed and wowed my opponents who constantly shoot PMs asking how the Ventari rev is. Of course I’d say it’s amazing.

When you say Tempest’s heals are mobile, don’t you understand that the tablet (an undestroyable object) heals around itself, meaning you will generally be out of focus? You can even try baiting enemies to yourself as long as you have blocks and evades ready (e.g. Unrelenting Assault, Warding Rift).

When I was talking about Glint I was talking about Facet of Light -> Infuse Light, which converts all condition damage and physical damage to health. That is a ‘panic button’ with the potential to refill your health up to 100%.

When switching back to Ventari the CD on the facet will be 18-21 seconds, depending on when you switch back to Ventari.

Tempest isn’t a heavy class and it’s susceptible to be downed once obsidian flesh runs out. After that support’s gone!

I said high skill cap because of energy conservation, tablet placement, skill usage etc. Most of the time I space out skill usage which obviously reduces the chance of energy reduction down to 0%.

I swap to Glint once I’m completely burned out of energy and on intense focus. Facet of Light -> Infuse Light converts all damage to health. Then you have blocks and evades again. Repeat the process and you’ll succeed.

Oh and about Guard, you can’t multicast while blocking projectiles

(edited by Abelisk.4527)

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

well this is a problem with rangers long bow it has been nerfed into the ground. i mean honestly its big nasty almighty 5 is an aoe cripple with kitten tier damage. i mean it should be a weaker version of meteor storm but nah its just an aoe cripple with a long cast time and moderate to long CD.

You also forgot the part where the ranger loses half his HP to retaliation from Barrage while the people he cast Barrage on barely lose 20% of their health at best.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Rangerdeity.5847

You also forgot the part where the ranger loses half his HP to retaliation from Barrage while the people he cast Barrage on barely lose 20% of their health at best.

Shhhhhh ranger is amazing what are you talking about their signature weapons are amazing and undeniable. now put that axe away you kitten.

tfw you realize warriors guardians and thief all have better bow skills than ranger.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

Shhhhhh ranger is amazing what are you talking about their signature weapons are amazing and undeniable. now put that axe away you kitten.

tfw you realize warriors guardians and thief all have better bow skills than ranger.

- Ranger:
a member of a body of armed men, in particular.

Seems fine to me. The bow is a classic, but it’s not really what defines a ranger if we use the definition.
Also, Ranger has the most wanted healer build and one of the best condi builds in the game right now (with a really easy rotation). I think it’s fine that they don’t have the best ranged weapon in terms of DPS even if it’s iconic.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

- Ranger:

Seems fine to me. The bow is a classic, but it’s not really what defines a ranger if we use the definition.
Also, Ranger has the most wanted healer build and one of the best condi builds in the game right now (with a really easy rotation). I think it’s fine that they don’t have the best ranged weapon in terms of DPS even if it’s iconic.

Aragorn was a ranger. And id take longbow over this crap hammer anyday anytime. What to not love? Low cd stealth? Low cd knock? Low cd channeled burst that track people in stealth? Literally the only thing which sux on lb is 5, nothing else. Pre hot i enjoyed lb a lot, espesially at top of sm and eotm (for obvious reason).

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

- Ranger:

Aragorn was a ranger. And id take longbow over this crap hammer anyday anytime. What to not love? Low cd stealth? Low cd knock? Low cd channeled burst that track people in stealth? Literally the only thing which sux on lb is 5, nothing else. Pre hot i enjoyed lb a lot, espesially at top of sm and eotm (for obvious reason).

lol, please.

All those lb attacks are hitting a single target or a couple of ones in a line. And none of them are critting people for 6k+ in a zerg let alone landing 12k coalesce of ruin on multiple people or an aoe knockdown, on top of having access to an evade nuke and a projectile destruction wall.

Don’t diss on a crappy one note roaming class that’s forced to go healbot if it wants to zerg or do GvG over revenant who’s absolutely wanted in WvW over a ranger for teamfighting ANY DAY.

Revenant’s problems are in PvE and spvp, not WvW.

If you’re using hammer for roaming you’re doing it wrong anyways. And revenant shouldn’t be roaming after the nerfs made shiro and rev heals all but useless.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

Yea, okay, I don’t really play WvW so I’ll take your word for it I mean you must know what you’re talking about…

If you’re using hammer for roaming you’re doing it wrong anyways. And revenant shouldn’t be roaming after the nerfs made shiro and rev heals all but useless.

But you said Revenant was strong in WvW!
I think roaming is a part of that, no? Arguably the only fun part for a lot of people.

I know what you meant, but if Revenant is only good in blob vs blob, then I think the class does suffer in WvW to some extent.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Rangerdeity.5847

Yea, okay, I don’t really play WvW so I’ll take your word for it I mean you must know what you’re talking about…

I think roaming is a part of that, no? Arguably the only fun part for a lot of people.

I know what you meant, but if Revenant is only good in blob vs blob, then I think the class does suffer in WvW to some extent.

its a little weak in roaming but the real problem is the build for roaming and build for blobs simply do not under any circumstance merge/hybrid or work for each other. they are aggressively different and you cant switch between the two roles without a full trait change and gear set swapping.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

Roaming in WvW is about as important as duels are in spvp. Fun for some people, but not the objective of the game format.

The match ups are won by zergs taking up and defending objectives. Roamers have a marginal impact on that on any highly populated and active server.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

Roaming in WvW is about as important as duels are in spvp. Fun for some people, but not the objective of the game format.

The match ups are won by zergs taking up and defending objectives. Roamers have a marginal impact on that on any highly populated and active server.

Blob vs blob is just <yawns>. Pretty much anything can be viable there. Grab guardian with lootstick and enjoy your loot.I actually played ranger in blobs and the only useless thing i had going for me there was pets who died right of the bat. Lb is stll useful due to its insane range and solid dps from far range, trait for pierce and there ya go. Also dem sweet mauls.

..Then again if you wanna talk about ranged weapons dragonhunter says hi with his bow that provides far more than rev will ever do in current state.

My point is simple – ranger longbow has amazing synergy within it kit, only 5 feels out of place. What kind of synergy hammer has going on apart from being a cor bot? Its just a bunch of random skills tossed on one weapon.

And roamers are far more important than you think. While your blob is busy at w/e you do, a group of 5 roamers is taking your t3 tower. You also needs camps to upgrade stuff, get supplies and what not, going to camp with whole blob is a waste of time. If anything you only show the problem with rev – hes worthless outside of zerg open pve zones/wvw blobs and that is definitely not acceptable state.

If i was all about blob stuff i would roll necro/ele.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

On the plusside, your Revenant would provider higher raw healing. The heal scales much better, hits harder, and the tablet – something frequently underrated – clearly tells everyone where to be to receive healing.

Your Druid, by comparison, will miss a lot of heals due to people running out of them or dodging out. However, the Druid is the better supporter, despite lower healing output. Superior buffs in the form of Grace of the Land and the spirits and glyphs, coupled with a lot of versatility, can even apply a semi-reliable poison if needed for fights against healing targets.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

In general, ranger is far more desired for organized pve, generally easier/popular in pvp, and much better for wvw roaming. The one area where rev is still probably better is large scale wvw zerging.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: Rudedawg.1876

Rudedawg.1876

Blob vs blob is just <yawns>. Pretty much anything can be viable there. Grab guardian with lootstick and enjoy your loot.I actually played ranger in blobs and the only useless thing i had going for me there was pets who died right of the bat. Lb is stll useful due to its insane range and solid dps from far range, trait for pierce and there ya go. Also dem sweet mauls.

..Then again if you wanna talk about ranged weapons dragonhunter says hi with his bow that provides far more than rev will ever do in current state.

My point is simple – ranger longbow has amazing synergy within it kit, only 5 feels out of place. What kind of synergy hammer has going on apart from being a cor bot? Its just a bunch of random skills tossed on one weapon.

And roamers are far more important than you think. While your blob is busy at w/e you do, a group of 5 roamers is taking your t3 tower. You also needs camps to upgrade stuff, get supplies and what not, going to camp with whole blob is a waste of time. If anything you only show the problem with rev – hes worthless outside of zerg open pve zones/wvw blobs and that is definitely not acceptable state.

That’s my experience with Rev in wvw – you are basically relegated to running around with the zerg as a boon or healing bot.

I find zerging mindless and boring.

Maybe I am not “contributing” as much as the zerglings are – but I am having much more fun scouting, killing dolyaks, flipping sentries, taking supply camps and towers etc…

OP; you just have to ask yourself what you want to do / enjoy doing more – pve, pvp, wvw, zerging, roaming… and then you will have a better idea what class will be more fun for you.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

Dragonhunters don’t use bow in zergs lol, because the zerg guardian build doesn’t even use dragonhunter specialization.

And if you think you only run a single blob in a map, you aren’t playing on a high tier server. There are more than enough blobs to cover several objectives in a map.

Ranger vs revenant

in Revenant

Malchior.5732

Dragonhunters don’t use bow in zergs lol, because the zerg guardian build doesn’t even use dragonhunter specialization.

And if you think you only run a single blob in a map, you aren’t playing on a high tier server. There are more than enough blobs to cover several objectives in a map.

He didn’t say DH uses LB in zergs, he said DH LB is better than Revenant Hammer and I agree.
The former is useful in way more content than the latter.

And the high-tier server stuff is a big problem with WvW. You can’t even say that Revenant is amazing in WvW because it depends on how active your server is, which for a lot of them, they’re not even remotely competitive enough to matter.

So if Revenant is bad at roaming and is only good in zergs, but having actually meaningful zerg v zerg fights depends on servers then that limits Revenant’s usefulness even more IMO.

So, in conclusion, Revenant is:
- Extremely niche in PvE (it can help bad groups out, but bad groups will never admit to being bad and needing the Revenant and good groups don’t need it at all)
- Usable in sPvP, needs a lot of extra work to be good
- Bad at roaming in WvW
- Very good in Zerg vs Zerg

So, OP should just go with Ranger unless they find Revenant fun somehow.