Rev went through changes from beta

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

The Revenant went through many changes from its original concept.

I believe its time to let go of some of the older design concepts that are still around, such as the Energy System, and the Legend Swap mechanics.

Legend Swap should be designed around frequent swapping like Engineer Kits, instead of the cooldown version we have today.

Cooldowns are all thats needed. the Energy system was an old concept that just never worked out. Yeah cool call back to GW1, but it doesnt even work like GW1 does.

in Revenant

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I believe its time to let go of some of the older design concepts that are still around, such as the Energy System, and the Legend Swap mechanics.

Legend Swap should be designed around frequent swapping like Engineer Kits, instead of the cooldown version we have today.

Cooldowns are all thats needed. the Energy system was an old concept that just never worked out. Yeah cool call back to GW1, but it doesnt even work like GW1 does.

While I agree that the revenant in its current state has issues, I’m not sure making the class a copy of the engineer is the way to go.

I do think Arenanet needs to sit down and do a proper class revamp taking into account many of the last minute changes the class experienced (weapon swaping, cooldown on skill even though energy is required, bugs). The class is now aproximately 6 months old which should give enough knowledge of what works and what doesn’t work.

Personally I would hate seeing things like legendswaping and the energy mechanic go. It’s what makes the class unique (and the lore works around this). Maybe differentiate between weapon and utility skills. Remove energy cost from weapon skills (have them work off of cds) and use energy cost for utility skills. Then let people freely choose utility skills from both selected legends (and ideally racial skills). Rebalance accordingly.

in Revenant

Posted by: Crowley.8761

Crowley.8761

While I agree that the revenant in its current state has issues, I’m not sure making the class a copy of the engineer is the way to go.

I do think Arenanet needs to sit down and do a proper class revamp taking into account many of the last minute changes the class experienced (weapon swaping, cooldown on skill even though energy is required, bugs). The class is now aproximately 6 months old which should give enough knowledge of what works and what doesn’t work.

Personally I would hate seeing things like legendswaping and the energy mechanic go. It’s what makes the class unique (and the lore works around this). Maybe differentiate between weapon and utility skills. Remove energy cost from weapon skills (have them work off of cds) and use energy cost for utility skills. Then let people freely choose utility skills from both selected legends (and ideally racial skills). Rebalance accordingly.

I think it’s fine that weapon skills require energy more akin to a thief. The difference of course being that the Revenant has CD on top of the energy cost which Thief doesn’t have – This only serves to eliminate freedom of play and seems to me like a direct result of poor weapon balance. Add to that pretty much every class except Thief has CD on wep skills, can’t Rev be the other class that doesn’t?

If they could at least choose between CD and Energy cost that would be great – instead of having both which seems overly restrictive and a bit weird. If you use your class resource for attacking why should CDs limit how you want to play it if you’ve spent time building that resource?

As for weapon swap – As far as I understand, this was added because people complained that it wasn’t there. And then it was poorly implemented. No 2nd condi wep, only one underwater wep, only one ranged option – Obviously there are some aspects lacking here. I’m not sure what I’d actually prefer here to be honest, if they take away the weapon swap on a class that’s already not allowed to pick and choose their specific utilities it’ll just add to the restrictive feel of the class.

I suppose removing wep swaps and then also removing CD off wep skills would be “okish” but the class would be so monotonous I can’t imagine many current Revenants would keep playing it at that point.

No one likes being a one-trick pony (Except of course if they’re bad gamers and the one trick happens to be horribly overpowered).

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Heck no!!!! The current system is fine, it just needs tweaking, ala removing CDs altogether, from both weapons and utility.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Revenant

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Agreeing with this one, racial skills should be the only swappable itilities in legends and should stay in the legend stance it is in. Ventari would be en exception in terms of the heal skill. If racial skills would cost energy idk but give them to rev anet.
Now the idea of giving the energy mechanic to utility is vetter than giving it to weapon skills, because it would distinguish rev from thief and with proper cost of energy it should be possible only to use a utility skill twice before reloading energy and elite should only be castable once before energy has to refill.
A lot of people conplain about the cd is there because balance issues and would make it eadier to do so but it conplifies a lot.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Revenant

Posted by: Hooglese.4860

Hooglese.4860

Yes rev went threw some changes during beta. They absolutely messed up Mallyx, and have yet to totally fix what they said they would. There will never be a fix.

No rev should not have it’s primary mechanic removed. It works. If you don’t like the energy mechanic then revenant isn’t the class for you.

PvP
revenant – Hoogles Von Boogles
Mesmer – hoogelz

in Revenant

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Let’s see…
1) Mallyx went from a very cool design to being gutted because, as they say, they didn’t want people getting mad if a friendly removed conditions. And yet they still kept a number of traits and skills that still rely on conditions being on you. Seems either that was an excuse, or they got extremely lazy in their redesign
2) The OP mentioned no cooldown of legend swap, well they didn’t have one (or it was real low) in Beta. I believe that got removed because people switched back and forth so quick that energy was always replenished. Then they changed it so cooldown was during combat, but not outside, but that got removed because they said the constant superspeed out of combat was too much
3) Cooldowns on skills use to be extremely small. Just enough so you couldn’t cast the same one twice in a row within a second. That got nerfed all to you know where
4) Energy values on skills just keep going up while cooldowns go up as well. This has caused you to rely way too much on AA since you use 80% of your energy on a single skill half the time.

There are more, but I think I’m a bit tired at the moment.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Revenant

Posted by: Ilias.8647

Ilias.8647

Revenant got so many changes since HoT beta and HoT launch and a few fixes. Strengths reduced while weak points remained.

I feel that Rev moved away from its initial concept but failed to establish a new, working one.

Currently residing on … Gandara[EU]

in Revenant

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

I’d remove legend swapping and instead introduce something like legend channeling. If you running Mallyx for example and do the legend channeling thing then you get Mallyx specific powers for few seconds (I don’t know, you become a walking dark combo field that pulses confusion, for example). It could be like 2nd elite skill or very strong upkeep skill, but you get it for free without needing any resource, just cooldown (20-30 seconds CD, 5-10 sec duration)

Or another version, F1-Fx would be legend specific channellings that would grant legend specific powers, but would keep the player in selected stance.

That of course would further reduce the diversity of class because you’re using just one legend so a counter measure would be introducing at least 2 new skills per legend that we can pick.

OR, allow ALL legends to be invoked while in combat. I don’t see why it was decided in the first place to have only 2 legends at disposal. True, people would still focus on 1 or 2, but if elementalist can burn through 4 attunments worth of cooldowns, I see no reason why revenant shouldn’t have all legends at disposal. If you are focusing on power build then mallyx would be next to useless, but you’d still have access to mallyx skills if situation needed it. It would bring a lot more diverse gameplay to the table.
Healing skill spamming can be simply resolved by making them share cooldown and balance around that.

in Revenant

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

No thanks. Legend swaps bring with them energy resets and stun breaks.

The idea is you want to bounce around legends instead of just camping one.

What they could do is instead reduce legend swap cd to 5-7 seconds.

Or they could just reduce energy costs and buff energy regen or make autoattacks recoup energy so we don’t feel so energy starved.

in Revenant

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

Energy needs to stay. CD needs to be adjusted or gotten rid of. Legend Swapping is essential and creates interesting interactions. The larger issue is that not all the legends are viable.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

All I ask for is change the kittening Sword animation. No one likes the terrible trust attack that has that can’t hit foes to the side of you for kitten. And make the 2nd attack in the chain have a 1/2s cast like the rest of the attacks.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Revenant

Posted by: iroh.2871

iroh.2871

Let’s see…
1) Mallyx went from a very cool design to being gutted because, as they say, they didn’t want people getting mad if a friendly removed conditions. And yet they still kept a number of traits and skills that still rely on conditions being on you. Seems either that was an excuse, or they got extremely lazy in their redesign
2) The OP mentioned no cooldown of legend swap, well they didn’t have one (or it was real low) in Beta. I believe that got removed because people switched back and forth so quick that energy was always replenished. Then they changed it so cooldown was during combat, but not outside, but that got removed because they said the constant superspeed out of combat was too much
3) Cooldowns on skills use to be extremely small. Just enough so you couldn’t cast the same one twice in a row within a second. That got nerfed all to you know where
4) Energy values on skills just keep going up while cooldowns go up as well. This has caused you to rely way too much on AA since you use 80% of your energy on a single skill half the time.

So much this. Like you said, there’s more to this list, so much more. The whole class needs an overhaul, and a really good one at that(no lazy fixes, which is kind of what they seemed like when they gutted Mallyx). For a class that seemingly has so many options, it sure as hell feels like a one-trick pony.

in Revenant

Posted by: MercenaryNote.8506

MercenaryNote.8506

Let’s see…

Agree 100%, but just for some clarification, there was always a CD on legend swap, the change made it so there would be a CD while swapping out of combat too, as people kept switching to Shiro and spammed IO for speed, which is stupid, because you can still do that!

in Revenant

Posted by: Ragfell.7594

Ragfell.7594

I think it’s fine that weapon skills require energy more akin to a thief. The difference of course being that the Revenant has CD on top of the energy cost which Thief doesn’t have – This only serves to eliminate freedom of play and seems to me like a direct result of poor weapon balance. Add to that pretty much every class except Thief has CD on wep skills, can’t Rev be the other class that doesn’t?

If they could at least choose between CD and Energy cost that would be great – instead of having both which seems overly restrictive and a bit weird. If you use your class resource for attacking why should CDs limit how you want to play it if you’ve spent time building that resource?

Not really. Thief needs that freedom in order to lay down those sick, sick spikes. (I’m half-kidding. But only half.) Plus, their weapon skills all cost initiative, which means while they can choose the order they want to lay down these skills, they’re doomed as soon as their initiative is gone.

This is because the thief’s reality is that he (or she) needs the lack of cooldown in order to put out the most amount of damage possible, followed by getting out of the situation. They’re not meant to stand toe-to-toe with a lot of peeps, and instead have to rely on a LOT of evade mechanics to actually be effective. Thieves don’t get initiative refilled every time they switch legends/weapon sets.

If you remove the revenant’s cooldown then, you’re just playing a soldier-class thief, at least in terms of weapon skills mechanics.

If that happens, the thief would literally be blown out of PvP harder than it already is.

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

All I ask for is change the kittening Sword animation. No one likes the terrible trust attack that has that can’t hit foes to the side of you for kitten. And make the 2nd attack in the chain have a 1/2s cast like the rest of the attacks.

+1
/15angryrevenantcharrs

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.