Revanant most difficult class to learn?

in Revenant

Posted by: Techstriker.4130

Techstriker.4130

I admit I only have 3-4 hours of time into the revnant, but from what I’ve seen so far with not only switching between legends, but with how trading off energy regen vs activation, and how it seems the most effective method will be switching between legends on the fly (similar to ele), I can’t help but feel this is now the most complicated class in the game.

I have friends coming back at launcher of HoT and am trying to determine Rev’s difficulty when they ask.

in Revenant

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Nope. Not by a long shot. (answer to thread).

Would say upper mid tier.

in Revenant

Posted by: Yashuoa.9527

Yashuoa.9527

Well its a whole new class + an Elite spec.

So its a lot of new, which could add in it feeling difficult, compared to a class you already know, where you only check out a new Elite spec.

in Revenant

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Once you get enough exp with it you’ll get a feel for how many or how often u should/could use abilities vs energy, thats pretty much it

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Revenant

Posted by: Maxite.6102

Maxite.6102

It is a lot to keep track of mid fight. Once recharge/energy costs are settled, should be easier.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Revenant isn’t difficult. There aren’t enough skills available to be difficult, since you are stuck with the skills associated with your legend. Then it’s just swapping, which isn’t complicated. Upkeep is no more difficult than thief initiative.

Herald is even easier, because you can get away with not swapping legends at all and being very capable.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Revenant

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

It’s pretty easy. I normally play ele and engi. I’d say the rev is lower-middle tier difficulty. I’ve hardly ever had any problems with energy, even if I’m not actively trying to conserve it. The 20 skills you have are pretty easy to keep track of once you commit them to memory.

Engineer is still easily the most complicated profession. Easily.

in Revenant

Posted by: Tipper.6973

Tipper.6973

I’d say its somewhere at the top of the middle-tier. I don’t think it is too bad. I think ele, mesmer, and engi are all harder.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kaizoku.1298

Kaizoku.1298

Honestly, it was very easy for me.
Even made it easier to play when glint was added.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

I’d say its somewhere at the top of the middle-tier. I don’t think it is too bad. I think ele, mesmer, and engi are all harder.

lol, it’s definitely harder than all of the classes and their metabuilds you mention.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

in Revenant

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

I think it can be tricky since you have two action bar swaps to manage separately (weapon and legend), as well as managing energy. Since energy is a limiting resource for all skills (weapon, utility, healing, and elite), the number of button presses (actions-per-minute) is lower than some other professions (e.g. ele, engi). There also seems to be less combo field interaction than some other professions.

However, one thing I have noticed, and that I have enjoyed about Revenant, is that if you do not manage your energy, you will yourself unable to both attack and defend. There is a very large performance gap between a player managing energy well vs. poorly. The shared resource takes a different mindset for effective play than we have gotten used to with some of the cooldown whack-a-mole styles that can work with some other professions.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Revenant

Posted by: Mebaru.4513

Mebaru.4513

lol, it’s definitely harder than all of the classes and their metabuilds you mention.

I agree mesmer isn’t very hard to learn the basics. but engineer running 3 kits is much more difficult to play properly than revenant. Engi is a most tedious class to play if you want to be efficient and competitive.

in Revenant

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

prob the easiest class tbh. you just learn whats in front of you, dont have to worry about utility swapping and such

in Revenant

Posted by: SoulstitchMMO.1396

SoulstitchMMO.1396

Easy to play hard to master.

in Revenant

Posted by: Darkheron.6271

Darkheron.6271

Elementalist and mesmer are debatable, but no… no it’s not harder then engineer.

in Revenant

Posted by: MercenaryNote.8506

MercenaryNote.8506

I have around 50 hours total clocked in with the Revenant. I also play every other profession rather proficiently

With that said, I can say with confidence that it is no where near the hardest class to play, and that Engineer still holds the title of the most difficult class to play.

I’d say that Revenant is below Elementalist in terms of difficulty but I still feel like that’s a little generous to say at this point in time.

(edited by MercenaryNote.8506)

in Revenant

Posted by: Zeroth.7046

Zeroth.7046

There’s a certain degree of awareness in knowing when to swap legends, when your heals are up, manipulating stuff like energy sigil procs without changing weapons, and other shenanigans. Revenant is not easy per see, but it’s not harder than elementalist or engineer. I do have to admit that playing ele for a fair bit made the switch to revenant much easier.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Depends on the Legend. Pre-BWE3 Mallyx was hard to learn and play because of high energy costs and very heavy risk/reward gameplay.

Glint is probably the easiest Legend of all because it doesn’t have hard Energy costs, while Ventari occupies the number #1 as hardest to learn.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Revenant

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Not as tough as engineer or elementalist. I think a skilled thief is harder to play as well. Then maybe revenant.

in Revenant

Posted by: Death Scythe.9738

Death Scythe.9738

Nop rev is not the hardest class to learn, engineers are, follow by ele and then maybe rev

in Revenant

Posted by: Arkantos.7460

Arkantos.7460

Nope, its like a reversed ELe with heavy armor and Initiative system compared with cooldowns.

Good Thiefs are average,
Skilled Thiefs are dangerous

(edited by Arkantos.7460)

in Revenant

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Being a thief helped wrap my head around part of the energy mechanic as initiative shares some of the same concepts. I do see where people who come from a Elementalist and Engineer background can relate to the swapping between legends. Revenant is very much like a hybrid of a thief/guardian/ele/eng just a sprinkle of everything, hence making them a jack of all trades.

The learning curve in beta is steep however. You are in a beta, with limited time. A brand new profession, instant level 80, all traits unlocked, all skills weapons and utilities unlocked, full elite unlocked and dumped into the middle of the fray. I am busy on the weekend I only had 3 hours to play sadly.

Rev is the hardest profession for the beta, but not for the overall game. They are mid tier. The other Elites are easier to learn because you have a basic understanding of the core profession, since they been in the game at launch.

Revenant in beta is the guy with the heavy armor thrown into the deep end of the pool. You better get paddling and learn

in Revenant

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

To answer OP’s question directly, I would say the difficulty really depends on the player.

As mentioned above someone pointed out that the Rev is a sort of reverse Ele and that the Rev’s energy mechanic is a lot like the Thief’s Initiative. So, if a player is experience with both classes the Rev will seem much easier to learn. For someone who, for example, mains and only plays a Warrior the Rev more than likely seemed overwhelming.

For me, the Rev was easy to play but was a bit difficult to learn to play well. I put about 16 hours on BW2, and I would say I didn’t have a light-bulb moment of, “I understand everything” until about hour 10.

The hardest thing to learn? Energy management. It’s way to easy to burn out on energy, and a Rev is effectively a sitting duck at that point even more so if Legend Swap is on Cooldown. The other difficult part would be learning Who to bring for what fight, but that knowledge can fairly quick since each Legend is well defined.

in Revenant

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

IMO mesmer is the toughest to learn

in Revenant

Posted by: damnwidget.9301

damnwidget.9301

IMO mesmer is the toughest to learn

Decoy -> Mirror Images -> Mirror Blade -> Mind Wrack

Yes, what a brain damaging hard to learn play style….

[SoW] Sông Of War – Baruch Bay

(edited by damnwidget.9301)

in Revenant

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

for now it will feel easy. Wait till later on when everyone’s more familiar. Revs will have to push their weight and think a lot before hitting certain things.

in Revenant

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

I’d rate Engy > Mesmer > Ele > Rev…

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Revenant is actually quite easy to get into (not necessarily master) once you stop trying to play it like other professions. You don’t necessarily have to constantly swap weapons/legends to be effective. I find it far less complex than Mesmer, elementalist, or engineer. To me, the closest analogue is probably Necromancer.

(edited by Misguided.5139)

in Revenant

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

mesmer is one of the easiest classes to play imo. its only hard when you first pick it up because all the skills and attacks cause clones and seem wacky, but once you break it down its simple. Engi is the hardest, followed by ele. Thief and Ranger are up there, if were talking about HIGH lvl pvp. if not, id still put thief up there but not Ranger

in Revenant

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I personally found revenant one of the easier classes to learn. That said, everyone is different.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rhovanion.8234

Rhovanion.8234

the way I had to rate it would be..
Engi>Rev>Ele.

Engi-Let’s be real, you really need to learn the timing on the skills of the weapon+utlitiy, it isn’t that easy as it sounds+knowing which buttons exactly to hit, on top of blasting constantly on the fields you throw.
Rev-has to be the 2nd hardest as you really need to learn on how to manage your energy, which truly isn’t hard after a while, but if you do a mistake and waste to much, it can lead to you death.
Ele-much as many agree that they’re tougher than revenants to learn, I completely disagree, eles are just far to easy, just learn the rotation and you’re practically set to go and fight oh, and let’s not forget the insane amount of passive traits they can use for the mistakes they do, really a no brainer.

in Revenant

Posted by: lxghostxl.5097

lxghostxl.5097

Not hard to learn..

in Revenant

Posted by: Sarif.1827

Sarif.1827

I have friends coming back at launcher of HoT and am trying to determine Rev’s difficulty when they ask.

There are two ways to play the Rev, Legend Swapping a lot, or a little.

If they like Elementlist or Engineers, tell them it’s kinda like that, but with Thief’s Initiative.

If they like Warrior or Guardian, Tell them Legend Swapping doesn’t have to be the cornerstone of their game play if they play well and manage Energy better.

If they like Thieves, tell them it’s like, without stealth but heavy armor with a weird toolkit.

If they like Mesmers, Tell them the class is too easy for them to play.

;D

Leader and Founder of the Shattered Sky Community.
Guild Leader of Covenant of the First Flame [Soul].