Revenant Class Resource Mangement - Flawed

in Revenant

Posted by: Harvey.7820

Harvey.7820

Every class in GW2 has a resource to manage. For warriors, it’s cooldowns on skills. For thieves, it’s initiative. For Revenants, the resource was supposed to be energy. However, now, it seems that we also have to manage cooldowns with a recent blanket 5 sec CD nerf to Phase Traversal.

I believe a change like this removes a lot of skill from the revenant skill cap. For example, a thief that is forward thinking in PvP will not simply use every single available initiative as fast as they can regenerate it. They’ll wait until they’ve pooled together enough initiative to pull off several skills at once in order to be more effective. This is how the energy resource is supposed to work as well. The idea behind pooling energy is to then release it at an opportune time to be more effective. What is the point of pooling energy if we cant then execute a larger sequence of skills because we’re gated by cooldowns? We cant pool the energy to swap legends and we cant pool the energy within a legend because of cooldowns, so what is the point of pooling energy? If this is the case, why not just make our skills cooldown only and scrap the entire concept of energy?

The issue here is that Revenants are supposed to manage 1 resource: Energy. Now with blanket cooldowns on Energy skills, we have to manage 2 resources within all of our utility AND weapon skills.

My suggestion? Remove Cooldowns on Energy based skills, and remove (or at least significantly lower) Energy cost on cooldown based skills. For example, all of the Legends and utilities should require energy, as that would thematically fit with the revenant class. However, weapon skills should be based on just cooldowns.

From there, if Devs feel that revenants are doing something too much, it’s easy to balance the appropriate resource.

An example of this could be increasing the cooldown of Sword #3 by 1 second to control a revenant’s UA damage while increasing the energy cost of Phase traversal to 30 instead of 25 to balance a revenant’s mobility.

Another solution is to have energy bar only reset to 50% if you are under 50% energy upon swapping legends. Thus, if you pool your energy to 85% while tanking in Jalis, you can then swap to Malyx/Shiro with 85% energy to unleash a longer attack chain.

Either way, the current iteration with both heavy energy costs and cooldowns on all skills, weapons and utilities alike, is making revenants a sitting duck in PvP with a headache of resource management.

(edited by Harvey.7820)

in Revenant

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

The issue here is that Revenants are supposed to manage 1 resource: Energy.

What? Who ever told you that?
Necros manage cooldowns and death shroud. Mesmers manage cooldowns and illusions. Warriors manage cooldowns and adrenaline. Revenants manage cooldowns and energy. And so go on.

If a warrior uses a burst skill and quickly regains adrenaline, he can’t use the burst skill again because it will be on cooldown. The same thing if a warrior tries to use a burst skill out of cooldown but while not having adrenaline. Revenant relies more on his secondary management than the others but this is made into account. Like most skills having a super short cooldown. The balance of the management is shifted and it’s fine.

Look, going offtopic but, people are kittened that revenant got nerfed, but I’m a player that was incredibly hyped about rev before, I’m having crazy fun playing it right now, and I saw these nerfs coming out from miles away. They were completely deserved. Rev obviously got worse, because well, it’s a nerf. This is what nerfs are. But rev isn’t even a bit less viable in any game mode because of that. The only nerf debatable is the 1s from Infuse Light, and even that.

Pumpkin – Mag

(edited by Pumpkin.5169)

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I was going to say the same thing. Revenant is its own thing, not a thief or anything else. There have been cooldown on some skills from the beginning.

It certainly is true that there are more cooldowns now, and cooldowns vs higher energy costs is a discussion worth having, but I don’t recall Roy or anyone else ever promising there would be no cooldowns or that energy was the only resource.

I happen to like the combo.

(edited by Misguided.5139)

in Revenant

Posted by: Malpractice.7850

Malpractice.7850

Necros manage cooldowns and death shroud. Mesmers manage cooldowns and illusions. Warriors manage cooldowns and adrenaline. Revenants manage cooldowns and energy. And so go on.

Engineers manage cool downs and carpel tunnel.

in Revenant

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

It’s the opposite. Thief’s initiative is the flawed mechanic. GW1’s energy system is a proven and true formula.

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

It’s the opposite. Thief’s initiative is the flawed mechanic. GW1’s energy system is a proven and true formula.

Then nerf thieves too?

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Engineers manage cool downs and carpel tunnel.

/true story

anyway I agree…energy+cd is proven as one of the best system to create nice skills and balance them…every class should work like this somehow…it was like this in GW1 (mana + cd) and it worked great.

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Need Energy food..Mallyx just depletes too fast but is so much fun.
Power Bar or Energy Drink consumables..

in Revenant

Posted by: drgast.1469

drgast.1469

What you mean to say is:

“The issue here is I WANT Revenants to manage 1 resource: Energy.”

What you want and what is supposed to happen are not usually the same thing. Chances are, if devs have you managing both energy and skill cds it’s because that’s the way they want it and therefore the way it’s supposed to be.

in Revenant

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

Revenants were also supposed to have no weapon swap, would you like that back too?

Didn’t think so.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in Revenant

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

The cooldowns on our utilities and elites is 0-10 seconds. Compared to 24, 30, 45, 60, 120s on other professions, our cooldowns are practically nothing. And if you are swapping frequently for extra energy, you don’t hit those cooldowns often because you use it once or twice and then swap and have another set of skills to play with.