Revenant DPS "rotation"

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Vogel.9613

Vogel.9613

While seeing some gameplay of the rev in the beta first Vale Guardian kill in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX3Z21sgYQA&feature=youtu.be
I noticed that the “rotation” to keep the highest DPS by this player is:

1. Glint: upkeep Darkness and Strenght, use Elemental Blast, then Autoattack
2. Switch to Shiro, Impossible Odds then Autoattack
3. back to 1.

He never uses Sword 2 or 3 and only switches to staff for the breakbar.

After betatesting the Rev I was under the impression that it is a fairly complex class, but seeing this simple rotation being the most effective I was let down a bit. Even the Guardian rotations are more complex. What do you guys think? Is it ok to just use autoattack or is it sad that there is no real reason to use the other weapon skills/sets?

Keep in mind, I’m talking about PvE endgame content, where the focus is to maintain the highest DPS. You could make an argument abut using UA as an evade and other skills in different situations, but If you don’t need them in Raids, where else?

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: MercenaryNote.8506

MercenaryNote.8506

Honestly that wasn’t an optimal rotation and you can get similar DPS with warrior Axe. An optimal DPS setup would be to hit to use axe off-hand and hit 4+5 when off cd and to use Shiro’s heal into the rotation as well. Hitting sword 2 while running up to the enemies would’ve added DPS also. Sword 3 isn’t optimal because of seekers, and you put yourself in danger of being placed where you don’t want to be.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

As far as I know most classes you can just use 3-4 skills and get around 80-95% of the optimal rotation dps.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I think this is by design and I like it a lot. As far as I can tell, the class was not designed around spamming skills on cooldown. As someone that doesn’t like complex skill rotations, the fact that you can get most of the dps without doing that and instead use powers situationally fits me perfectly.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

You would need to actually run the numbers but this rotation seems optimal to me. You don’t want to waste energy on anything except impossible odds while in shiro so that you can keep the quickness up.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

For personal dps this rotation sounds good. But that’s if you are by yourself, sometimes keeping allies alive/bufffed gives more damage overall then you dealing that extra 5-10% personally.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

For personal dps this rotation sounds good. But that’s if you are by yourself, sometimes keeping allies alive/bufffed gives more damage overall then you dealing that extra 5-10% personally.

Shiro has 0 ally support.
I think revenant is in that weird place where most of its damage comes from auto attacks, and using other abilities feels like an actual dps loss

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

Shiro has 0 ally support.
I think revenant is in that weird place where most of its damage comes from auto attacks, and using other abilities feels like an actual dps loss

It’s not weird, it’s a beautiful thing that allows us to manage energy usage without sacrificing a ton of DPS. I’m sure there are builds that will spam abilities and legend swap constantly, but several of the legends are well-suited to camping, and the fact that so much dps comes from AAs allows that to work while remaining effective. This is why I have said that the people who complain about energy costs on weapon skills are caught up treating this profession like every other.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Terra.8571

Terra.8571

@ OP, as has been pointed out, adding axe dps (I usually just use 4) is a dps boost when in Glint. I also switch on the f2 in glint so it increases all allies boon duration. Then blow the f2 before switching to shiro. You can use shiro heal, but in raids I find it’s best to save it as staying >90% hp is more important than wasting the heal.

But yeah, the rotation isn’t too taxing. Energy management is a bit trickier with other legends but it’s still not too bad.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Vogel.9613

Vogel.9613

Yes, using the axe sounds like a good idea for more DPS (haven’t tested it though) at least in dungeons/fractals. However in the raid he used the sword off hand just as an additional CC against the boss and I don’t know if you can do without it.

@Misguided, I can see your point, but don’t you think its so much wasted potential of all other weapon skills and weapon sets if the most effective thing is spamming sword AA? Isn’t it going to get boring? And what are you going to use that extra energy for? IO uptime on Shiro and passives on Glint is the only thing you can do anyway.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

While seeing some gameplay of the rev in the beta first Vale Guardian kill in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX3Z21sgYQA&feature=youtu.be
I noticed that the “rotation” to keep the highest DPS by this player is:

1. Glint: upkeep Darkness and Strenght, use Elemental Blast, then Autoattack
2. Switch to Shiro, Impossible Odds then Autoattack
3. back to 1.

He never uses Sword 2 or 3 and only switches to staff for the breakbar.

After betatesting the Rev I was under the impression that it is a fairly complex class, but seeing this simple rotation being the most effective I was let down a bit. Even the Guardian rotations are more complex. What do you guys think? Is it ok to just use autoattack or is it sad that there is no real reason to use the other weapon skills/sets?

Keep in mind, I’m talking about PvE endgame content, where the focus is to maintain the highest DPS. You could make an argument abut using UA as an evade and other skills in different situations, but If you don’t need them in Raids, where else?

the “perfect” dps rotation is more complex than that. the dps rotation you have seen in the video is not the optimal one. also glint/shiro isnt optimal (for max dps).

people havent figured out the class yet.

wait for class/build guides after hot release.

[qT] Quantify

(edited by NoTrigger.8396)

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

also glint/shiro isnt optimal (for max dps).

Could you please explain that? I can’t see what other combinations would do more dps.

Jalis has low dps.
Ventari has no dps.
Mallyx has some decent condition damage but with just torment (and a little poison), I can’t see how it would out-do impossible odds or the boons/active effects from facets.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

also glint/shiro isnt optimal (for max dps).

Could you please explain that? I can’t see what other combinations would do more dps.

Jalis has low dps.
Ventari has no dps.
Mallyx has some decent condition damage but with just torment (and a little poison), I can’t see how it would out-do impossible odds or the boons/active effects from facets.

you will max every boon anyway if people run the correct builds. for dungeons shiro could be the best options. for raids? i dont think so.

i wont give you my build now because i wanna do more testing and have math to back it up.

[qT] Quantify

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Mallyx gives you 10% more power precision and ferocity with his elite, which is a colossal dps boost in a pve situation, especially if you’ve built up some quickness already from guards or mesmers.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

Yes, using the axe sounds like a good idea for more DPS (haven’t tested it though) at least in dungeons/fractals. However in the raid he used the sword off hand just as an additional CC against the boss and I don’t know if you can do without it.

@Misguided, I can see your point, but don’t you think its so much wasted potential of all other weapon skills and weapon sets if the most effective thing is spamming sword AA? Isn’t it going to get boring? And what are you going to use that extra energy for? IO uptime on Shiro and passives on Glint is the only thing you can do anyway.

First off, not everyone uses Shiro &/or Glint. My point isn’t that you won’t ever use other abilities, but that you can choose when to use them for maximum effect instead of always on cooldown because you HAVE to sustain decent DPS.

Revenant DPS "rotation"

in Revenant

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Wasn’t UA a 10% ish DPS increase (and 7 stacks of might) over sword auto on a single target? So wouldnt you wanna use that in Glint if it doesn’t screw you over (ie, seekers) because Glint doesn’t use much energy?