Revenant Energy Discussion and Feedback

in Revenant

Posted by: Glitchfull.5826

Glitchfull.5826

Let’s discuss the Revenant’s energy system here. Being specific can really help the devs out in terms of feedback and giving suggestions is the best to help Anet out.

The energy system, while at the very least unique, is honestly a weakness for Revenant. You spend to much time either ooe or spamming autos. I think the biggest issue to why this is such is that the weapon skills also take energy, so you’re constantly at low energy if you don’t just auto spam. This makes it so you must legend swap to gain energy, which is fine as a regen mechanic, but it doesn’t fix the issue that you will either quickly go ooe again or you just are auto spamming.

Maybe just removing the energy consumption on weapons would do a lot to put them more in line. If it turns out there is too much spare energy then just increase the cost of energy for each utility, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of rev being a multi use utility class.

(edited by Glitchfull.5826)

in Revenant

Glitchfull.5826

Also would be nice if the Revenant energy didn’t instantly drop to 50 once combat ends. Possibly a warrior type drain would play a lot better.

in Revenant

Posted by: Stinja.9612

Stinja.9612

Honestly i was reading some other post and it sounds like Roy wants to make legend swapping 10 seconds all the time combat or not, which sounds terrible to me but w.e.

If that is coming, and skills and utilities will continue to use energy, you should always rest at 100% resource like Thief does. It was supposed to have Gw1 vibes to it with these up keeps ect.

I dont recall in the 7 years I played gw1 any class starting with 50% energy because they put mending on their bar.

At the point you legend swap you go back to 50 and it slowly creeps upward or down depending on what you’re doing. Also it feels so weird having 0 way to gain energy except time or swap.

I may be harsh but i care deeply about the game.
Twitch→ (http://www.twitch.tv/phenomatron)

in Revenant

Posted by: Elbritil.3817

Elbritil.3817

The 10 sec legend swap cd is just a horror in mind… anyway, maybe geting energy for aa wont be bad, as the warrior gets adrenaline. A well balanced amount depending on the weapon would cure this problem i think.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Energy is a limit, a wanted one. It’s there so that you don’t spam skills randomly. If you learn to manage it it’s not a problem and legenswap suffices.

Atm the problem are skills like Jalis taunt taking 50 energy. The problem is not enery generation but energy cost on some skills.

in Revenant

Posted by: SuinegTsol.1729

SuinegTsol.1729

i’d say the energy gain from attacking should be increased.
to deal dmg you are kind of forced to use the energy draining skills like imposible odds/hammers. so if u use those and your heal and only auto atack with sword, you can rly close make it to the next legendary swap cooldown.
this makes the class gameplay feel very very restricted. You should at least be able to mix in the other two utility once while inside one legend (so every 10 second) and use more than auto attack. even if it seems to me the best for dps by now.

And/or a class should not be balaced around to be able to do 25 vulnerability and having “100%” quickness uptime, due to this can be archieved from teamplay for all classes too. (form a dungoneer’s point of view)

in Revenant

Glitchfull.5826

It’s not about spamming skills randomly, it’s that you’re restricted to not doing anything other than auto attacking. Anyways, it’s not like the Revenant utilities are anything game breaking strong. The Revenant is not in a good spot because of how limited they are in their capability. You also have to realize that this entails sPvP too. PvE you can get away with auto attacking but in PvP you get punished pretty hard for doing so.

(edited by Glitchfull.5826)

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

if you swap legend often you have plenty of energy during the fight. If you only camp 1 legend you don’t.
I think that the purpose of almost any class in this game is to use and manage the mechanic. If Rev’s mechanic is legendswap, of course the fight is focused on that.

in Revenant

Posted by: KarlusDavius.1024

KarlusDavius.1024

but it shouldn’t be. You shouldn’t HAVE to legend swap, it should be a choice thats based on what happening in front of you. Not because of lack of energy.

AA should generate energy.
Energy costs need to be adjusted.
Please dear lord, don’t reset the energy back to 50 when OOC.

As a side, traits needs to be addressed and could potential have some sort of energy generation in them when in a specific legend?

I’d also love to see some sort of lingering effect when swapping from one legend to another. EG, switching from malix to another would reduce condition durations applied to on you for 3 seconds.

But hey, thats another post! Energy generation is needed from different sources to develop deeper gameplay in the class.

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

You should probably read the blog post that introduced energy and legendswap.
Plus we have already discussed it and did the math. Legendswap is always a better idea then waiting for energy. You’re not supposed to camp a single legend as if it was your only set of utility.

(edited by Kidel.2057)

in Revenant

Posted by: Valfaros.6908

Valfaros.6908

I think it’s a bit unfair that you lose all your energy if you get ooc and if you have less then 50 you slowly reg it again. At least make it fair.
If you get ooc you are on 50 energy no matter what or give a dereg that’s about as fast as the reg if you are below 50

in Revenant

KarlusDavius.1024

Plus we have already discussed it and did the math. Legendswap is always a better idea then waiting for energy. You’re not supposed to camp a single legend as if it was your only set of utility.

didn’t say you had to camp it. I said it shouldn’t be mandatory for energy.

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

didn’t say you had to camp it. I said it shouldn’t be mandatory for energy.

It’s not, it’s just way better if you swap.

in Revenant

Posted by: Pomdepin.7068

Pomdepin.7068

I think legend swap should be done to benefit from what the other legend has to offer in terms of utilities, not because of energy. So if you want to chase someone, swap to Shiro for its gap closers. But not like “I’m gonna run out of energy, I must swap, even if the I still want my current utilities”.

With other professions, you save your breakstuns for the moment you’ll need them, cause you need to be reactive in these cases. With revenant, it’s hard to do so because that means you have to mitigate your own damages which already are quite low btw… So I agree, weapon skills shouldn’t require energy. And energy would work better with a system like necro’s life force management imo.

Being stuck in auto-attack after 2 utilities just makes you die… in terrible circumstances. No way to escape.

in Revenant

Posted by: Snafoo.2869

Snafoo.2869

I don’t dislike legend switching being a staple of the class in and of itself, my problem with it though is Revenant doesn’t get many stunbreakers; which is why I always run with invocation (minor grandmaster turns legend switching into a stunbreaker).

I don’t want to feel forced to use one of my very few stunbreakers on cooldown.

Slightly off topic: it feels generally nigh impossible to make a decent build without traiting invocation, a serious weakness in the class design imo.

in Revenant

Posted by: slayert.5904

slayert.5904

Revenant should start at 100% energy always. thiefs don’t have to start at half initative when they start a fight and build it up. The energy cost on weapons skills is absolutely horrible. if i am at 5% energy trying to escape i can’t do kitten, not even weapons skills. It is not my bad play who is killing me but my lack of options at low energy.

This kinda killed revenant for me, having no energy at all is way to punishing for Revenant. Thiefs still able to do utility skills when they have zero initative so why can’t we use weapon skills?

Also the lack of having a boost to energy gain like thief has is soemthing that is bothering me. Heck even a trait that lets me start at 70% energy before combat would be a saving grace to Revenant.

| lvl 80 guard | shout DPS roamer |

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

You start at 100 energy. 50 for each legend.

in Revenant

KarlusDavius.1024

Don’t be condescending. You know what he means. 100% in the legend I think is not needed, however OOC draining is needed rather than a complete reset to 50%

Cmdr. Kiro Heimdahl
Warrior
Far Shiverpeaks

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Don’t spam utilities just because they’re not grey, watch the bar and you won’t run out of energy if you’re careful.

It’s harder than any other profession mechanic, indeed, but it’s because majority of this game already promotes spamming.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Don’t be condescending. You know what he means. 100% in the legend I think is not needed, however OOC draining is needed rather than a complete reset to 50%

but that would mean that you actually start at 200 energy worth of skills, having a huge burst only at the beginning compared to what we have now.

It would also mean 2 elites in a row. To prevent that they would have to add a cd on elites or an increased energy cost, and that’s bad. The class would actually be nerfed, so no.

Don’t spam utilities just because they’re not grey, watch the bar and you won’t run out of energy if you’re careful.

It’s harder than any other profession mechanic, indeed, but it’s because majority of this game already promotes spamming.

Agreed, just manage wisely.

in Revenant

Posted by: nocte.5419

nocte.5419

dunno why the weapon skills use energy and have a cd. make it either one or the other.

in Revenant

Glitchfull.5826

I would like to add that “What I feel, or at least what I think they felt, the revenant was meant to be” talk should be avoided as much as possible. We are giving feedback about how the class plays in it’s current state and what we think could be changed to either buff them if they seem too weak in certain areas, how we think they are balanced so need no change, or how they are too strong and what should be done to fix that with this topic being focused specifically on the energy mechanics of the class. It is not a crime or sacrilege to give constructive criticism about the class for Anet to potentially see. Concepts are alright and all, but if those concepts don’t really work in the game or at the very core of the game aren’t fun means it’s not worth pushing for. Let’s leave it at that.

in Revenant

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

dunno why the weapon skills use energy and have a cd. make it either one or the other.

This. If weapon skills have CD, why energy? you are not going to spam them cause you cant, and maybe using stances that costs penergy pips and being able to use your 1-5 are a good combination, just saying :P

M I L K B O I S