[Revenant Feedback] Major flaws, improvements

in Revenant

Posted by: Metabrit.1839

Metabrit.1839

I’ll start off by saying revenant has very much improved since the last beta and well done to Roy and the other staff working on it. Loving mace/axe i think its in a very good place at the moment and popping impossible odds for simply moving around with super speed is great. However it still lacks the ability to keep up with the other professions competitively:

1. Other Utilities PLEASE, seriously make this happen because a revenant cannot compete when locked into the utilities it has. Other professions can use any utility at any time and you never know which ones they will be using, with a revenant you see the legend and instantly know the skills and how to combat them, there’s not enough choice to make it truly viable or competitive. Some of the skills just lack impact at all anyways, I found myself only using one or two from each legend apart from Malyx which is the best by far. For example, The elite of Jalis does not feel impactful enough for me to ever use it, personally I think it should be changed. Other skills such as the shadowstep on shiro and chain on Jalis just aren’t worth the cost for a 2 second slow and taunt. Which brings me to the next point…

2. Removing energy costs from weapons: or at least reduce it, using any kind of utility already depletes the energy enough and it really hinders the revenant’s abilities. It would also be nice to reduce the energy cost of some utilities e.g. the chain on Jalis as previously stated. The traits don’t give enough survivability to revenant to actually sustain damage when energy is depleted.

3. Not enough condi cleanse, Malyx is the only chance of surviving a condi build in PvP, Ventari’s mechanic is too clumsy to use and the other legends or trait lines simply don’t have enough to come close to fighting celestial eles or engis.

4. Sword: Auto-attack is clunky and feels wrong, skill 2 is basically useless, make skill 3 on sword evade, skill 4 for sword needs its block fixing, skill 5 costs too much energy imo

5. Shiro heal skill basically feels like we don’t have one, I’m a fan of the shiro legend but the heal skill has made me remove it from my build and swap to Jalis/Malyx. I understand the design for it but in a practical environment it simply isn’t enough. The elite skill for shiro is fun but uses all the energy available so you can’t actually do much while they are stunned yourself, just have to use it at the right time for the team to take them down. (Also the elite has a tendancy to bug character animations on down state trait, not sure about normally?)

6. Jalis is supposed to be the tanky legend but the skills just offer stability and an easily-interrupted damage reduction. Tanky builds offer protection and regen which it completely lacks, I use it mainly for the stability and swiftness buffs along with the best heal skill revenant has. The hammer upkeep is ok, maybe add a buff while it is active (possible protection or regen?)

As far as hammer, staff and ventari go I haven’t done much testing with it. I will try to tomorrow to add to this but those are my overall impressions. I have played the story instance 3 times on rev, dragonhunter and reaper and the difference was insane. dragonhunter was a lot easier, somewhat due to learning the new enemy attacks, and reaper just absolutely tore through them with no difficulty or problems. I love the mechanics of revenant and the interaction with the legends so please take this into consideration <3

Keep up the good work, hopefully Roy get’s around to reading

Update: I’ve found a pretty competitive build, its not perfect but it has a lot of potential and I never thought it would include staff! Staff seems in a very good place now apart from the skill 2 which feels too sluggish for just a stack of weakness and small damage but overall awesome feel. Celestial revenant could become a great thing with changes, its not bad for might stacking.
Hammer has also greatly improved from last patch and the team has done with the changes

Update: Even the ventari legend skills are better than previous beta, I was on knights gear and still giving out some ok heals. Bare in mind this is PvE based information, I refuse to try it in PvP because I know how bad it will go, but for PvE sure its decent, there is some potential

Been on GW2 since headstart to launch
Plays: Ranger, Engi and Thief and occassional Guard, War and Ele

(edited by Metabrit.1839)

in Revenant

Posted by: SoulstitchMMO.1396

SoulstitchMMO.1396

Yeah, the mechanic of Utility OR Weapon skill is weird. While I’m successful with it currently that’s the choice I’m making most of the time.

in Revenant

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I think it is encouraging that revenant is getting better. It’s a class with a lot of potential. But it still needs tweaking. Some major things on my list in no particular order:

Shiro heal….remove the icd on the siphon please.

Swords (both main hand and offhand) are kind of lackluster compared to the other weapons. Sword AA could use a small buff, sword 2 needs love, sword 3 needs an evade or allow us to dodge while using it instead of being locked in, sword 4 should last a bit longer than it does and sword 5 is just a mess to me. I feel like it would just be better for it to be a normal pull that puts vuln or weakness on a target. If sword offhand is supposed to be a somewhat defensive minded weapon they need to improve that because rev does feel squishy right now.

I’m happy with where staff and hammer are right now, they feel good and work nice with Shiro.

Ventari tablet really should summon as soon as you switch to Ventari. Ventari’s will should probably not have a cd or it should be lower.

Jalis needs help. Anet keeps saying this is the tanky legend, but it doesn’t feel tanky at all. No protections, no invulns, only the elite with a really long cast time. Vengeful hammers should give protection or something at least.

Also wish we had at least one more utility per legend. Seems kind of unfair other professions get more than revs do.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

It sucks that we either have to pick between stun breaks/survivability or being able to actually do something with our skills. I literally cant legend swap because that’s my stun break. If I swap into Mallyx. That’s it. No stun breaks until legend swap is back up and if I switch to Shiro, I can’t heal because his heal skill is pretty bad. I think Roy is gonna make some changes though. With all the feedback that’s been coming in from the Beta, there are repeated issues I’ve seen and I’m sure Roy has noticed them too.

in Revenant

Posted by: Bloodyx.5946

Bloodyx.5946

I’ll start off by saying revenant has very much improved since the last beta and well done to Roy and the other staff working on it. Loving mace/axe i think its in a very good place at the moment and popping impossible odds for simply moving around with super speed is great. However it still lacks the ability to keep up with the other professions competitively:

1. Other Utilities PLEASE, seriously make this happen because a revenant cannot compete when locked into the utilities it has. Other professions can use any utility at any time and you never know which ones they will be using, with a revenant you see the legend and instantly know the skills and how to combat them, there’s not enough choice to make it truly viable or competitive. Some of the skills just lack impact at all anyways, I found myself only using one or two from each legend apart from Malyx which is the best by far. For example, The elite of Jalis does not feel impactful enough for me to ever use it, personally I think it should be changed. Other skills such as the shadowstep on shiro and chain on Jalis just aren’t worth the cost for a 2 second slow and taunt. Which brings me to the next point…

2. Removing energy costs from weapons: or at least reduce it, using any kind of utility already depletes the energy enough and it really hinders the revenant’s abilities. It would also be nice to reduce the energy cost of some utilities e.g. the chain on Jalis as previously stated. The traits don’t give enough survivability to revenant to actually sustain damage when energy is depleted.

3. Not enough condi cleanse, Malyx is the only chance of surviving a condi build in PvP, Ventari’s mechanic is too clumsy to use and the other legends or trait lines simply don’t have enough to come close to fighting celestial eles or engis.

4. Sword: Auto-attack is clunky and feels wrong, skill 2 is basically useless, make skill 3 on sword evade, skill 4 for sword needs its block fixing, skill 5 costs too much energy imo

5. Shiro heal skill basically feels like we don’t have one, I’m a fan of the shiro legend but the heal skill has made me remove it from my build and swap to Jalis/Malyx. I understand the design for it but in a practical environment it simply isn’t enough. The elite skill for shiro is fun but uses all the energy available so you can’t actually do much while they are stunned yourself, just have to use it at the right time for the team to take them down. (Also the elite has a tendancy to bug character animations on down state trait, not sure about normally?)

6. Jalis is supposed to be the tanky legend but the skills just offer stability and an easily-interrupted damage reduction. Tanky builds offer protection and regen which it completely lacks, I use it mainly for the stability and swiftness buffs along with the best heal skill revenant has. The hammer upkeep is ok, maybe add a buff while it is active (possible protection or regen?)

As far as hammer, staff and ventari go I haven’t done much testing with it. I will try to tomorrow to add to this but those are my overall impressions. I have played the story instance 3 times on rev, dragonhunter and reaper and the difference was insane. dragonhunter was a lot easier, somewhat due to learning the new enemy attacks, and reaper just absolutely tore through them with no difficulty or problems. I love the mechanics of revenant and the interaction with the legends so please take this into consideration <3

Keep up the good work, hopefully Roy get’s around to reading

I agree with a lot of this.

Anet needs to remove energy cost on weapon abilites – it’s too debilitating to use a single combo and be done for 5 or 6 seconds until you build up your energy again.

in Revenant

Posted by: Eugenides.1274

Eugenides.1274

This was probably the most unsatisfying and problematic thing about sword for me. Shiro is a pretty energy intensive legend as is, and if the auto-attack doesn’t feel right the set loses a lot of its appeal.

I think the revenant’s sword auto-attack would benefit greatly from making the overall animations and feedback more similar to that of thief. As they are now they just feel and sound so underwhelming.

Attolis – Beyond the Wall [Crow]
Gandara

in Revenant

Posted by: WindGodGirl.6405

WindGodGirl.6405

I actually like sword’s AA animations.