Revenant Not In An Acceptable State:Weapons

in Revenant

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

So I am probably beating a dead horse here. I feel that rev is not viable in many ways because it lacks meaningful options. I encourage anyone else reading this to post the things that make Revenant unfinished or underwhelming to them.

From my point of view here are all the problems preventing any kind of build diversity Starting with weapons. From here on is my opinion of what is wrong with the class. Feel free to post why you agree or disagree below.

Staff:

• has very low damage on the auto attack chain
  • long chain 1/2+ 1/2+ 1 sec
  • the heal part of the chain is near useless. With a menders amulet and healing based rune your putting out a wooping 300 health per second. Its embarrassing. The difference between thief staff auto and rev staff auto is crazy it is literally the same cast times and chain. The difference being the end of chain combo is its 60% higher on the thief before traits.
  • Staff 2 is not worthwhile in it’s current iteration

Staff is low damage. It’s only value is the block, condi clear, and the knockdown. Sadly its more valuable then the rest of its weapons 90% of the time because it will allow you to stall to change legends in order to get more energy.

Hammer

• Easily interruptible/dodgeable because of how slow it is
  • Bursty, High hits, low dps.
  • CoR has an issue with terrian where if you cast the skill and it does not go along an even plane it wiffs on targets on even the tiniest elevation variation.

Hammer would be a lot better if we had reliable access stability

Mace

• Chain sucks, 1 stack of torment, 1 stack of torment, 1 stack of poison this is our only access to poison. It’s actually a damage loss to complete the chain.
  • Searing fissure has a the same elevation problem as CoR
  • Echoing interruption is a multi blast skill, however it will only blast one field once. despite being separate blasts.

Mace applicaition and build up is really slow, and it requires you to be in melee the entire time. The issue with this weapon is it requires a paradox to happen. Your opponet needs to be constantly moving to get the most of torment, but your opponet must also never leave your burn field to get good damage mace. I love the animations on this weapon, but it sucks. It sucks that it sucks.

Axe

• Temporal Rift has the same bug as CoR

Sword(offhand)

• grasping shadows has a very small radius, which makes it hard to land
  • grasping shadows also has issues with the backwards port involving terrain.

Finally across all weapons the majority of skills cost way to much in tandem with having long cooldowns. It feels like anet double diped on preventing us from being impact in fights. With no meaningful way to generate energy, it feels as those skills were never meant to have energy costs with them.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

in Revenant

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I don’t get why there need to be CDs anyhow. “It works for thieves”.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Revenant

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

CoR has some where pathing issues. I’ve seen mine go sideways in certain circumstances.

Drop the Hammer’s only issue is its vulnerability to blind.

I’d run mallyx if Unyielding anguish was a stunbreak & stability/or evade.

in Revenant

Posted by: Chungo.3169

Chungo.3169

I am main rev since I started in this game both in pvp and pve and I feel that we are being excluded, 1700/1800 is my mmr and in almost every game my colleagues ask me to change class, and I think they are right … Which since the last 2 updates is below average in almost everything that can be done at this skill level. In raids they are no longer useful, for which I change to warrior every time I can not use my favorite class.
I agree that it needs an urgent revision, not just in Pvp, since they are finally balancing pvp and pve separately I think they could make it viable in raids and not be more than 70% of useless specializations in all game modes.

Based on your +1

(edited by Chungo.3169)

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Good point on the Mace design paradox.

I like threads like these.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

You need to add Sword offhand #5, in particular the initial hit and how to land it. It fails quite often for no apparent reason, terrain issues, etc. A shadow step to the target would make a world of difference.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Revenant

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

I’d run mallyx if Unyielding anguish was a stunbreak & stability/or evade.

I do not know if you have played mallyx since the pain absorption change, but it is now a stunbreak. Overall its a very attractive legend for me personally. It’s not quiet as mobile as shiro, but it does get around a lot better compared to glint.

You need to add Sword offhand #5, in particular the initial hit and how to land it. It fails quite often for no apparent reason, terrain issues, etc. A shadow step to the target would make a world of difference.

Will add this. I personally have never had any issues with sword 5, aside from it being 130 range which is very hard to land on targets given how mobile everything is.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

in Revenant

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

I don’t get why there need to be CDs anyhow. “It works for thieves”.

It rather have only cd for weaponskills and energy cost fur utility, elite and heal.
The weaponskills could generate energy with doing dmg.

Grasping shadows could be something like a projectile, throw it hit and animation stays the same(just fix the bug and add evade frame).

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Revenant

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I enjoy my Rev as a PvE Alt, but….

…. the fact that Anet has Torment on the mace – a weapon where you stand face to face against your enemy- pretty much says everything.

in Revenant

Posted by: Shena Fu.5792

Shena Fu.5792

I’m new to Revenant. Only at level 17 and have unlocked all weapon skills. But I don’t feel any of the weapons are particularly fun or rewarding.

Mace and sword don’t do enough damage, so haven’t used them at all. So my weapon of choice is hammer. AOE is nice, but it’s so slow. Also having two skills require ground targeting is too awkward. Suggest to make Drop the Hammer just land at your target.

My other weapon is staff. Main reason is just for #5 to speed up travel a bit and animation kind of cool. Otherwise it’s okay, but doesn’t feel special.

in Revenant

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

So my weapon of choice is hammer. AOE is nice, but it’s so slow. Also having two skills require ground targeting is too awkward. Suggest to make Drop the Hammer just land at your target.

Yeah and never land that skill on anyone ever again…Ground targeting for a skill is a blessing not a curse.

in Revenant

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

…. the fact that Anet has Torment on the mace – a weapon where you stand face to face against your enemy- pretty much says everything.

As a design principle, this is essentially forcing a dilemma on your opponent. Do they stand and take it in order to reduce Torment damage? Or do they kite, and suffer more Torment as a result?

Personally, I think the bigger problem is that the revenant really needs an additional ranged weapon, and it needs to be core. Having just one ranged weapon means that the revenant is far too sensitive to the balance state of that weapon, and that weapon being power-based (the slow attacks means it isn’t even good at triggering condis off traits) means that condi-based revs don’t have a ranged option at all.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Revenant

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

As a design principle, this is essentially forcing a dilemma on your opponent. Do they stand and take it in order to reduce Torment damage? Or do they kite, and suffer more Torment as a result?

Personally, I think the bigger problem is that the revenant really needs an additional ranged weapon, and it needs to be core. Having just one ranged weapon means that the revenant is far too sensitive to the balance state of that weapon, and that weapon being power-based (the slow attacks means it isn’t even good at triggering condis off traits) means that condi-based revs don’t have a ranged option at all.

There is a trait that buffs torment to essentially be on par with bleeding for revenants.

The problem is that this should be core, not a trait, if torment is going to be the main revenant condition (the same should be true for mesmer confusion in PvE).

In fact, I think torment and confusion should have the same baseline damage as bleeds, and their bonus conditionals are just extra damage, BECAUSE CONFUSION AND TORMENT ARE MUCH HARDER TO STACK THAN BLEEDING. Confusion and Torment are more rare than bleeding, they should do more damage.

And on top of that, Revenant needs to be the king of torment application, which it isn’t.

The problem as well is that axe and mainhand mace are really hybrid weapons, and hybrid weapons are trash. They always are half effective based on the revenant’s stat investment because the skill has its power split between different damage sources that scale off power/crit/critdmg, OR condi/condiduration.

Mainhand mace has really impractical condi application as well outside the autoattack to boot.

in Revenant

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Eh, the ‘white damage’ of revenant mace is on par with other condition weapons (necromancer scepter, engineer pistol, mesmer staff and scepter, ranger shortbow) so I don’t think being a hybrid weapon is a problem. It’s very clearly designed to be on the condi side, noting that very few attacks have no direct damage at all.

Axe is more of a hybrid, yes. Offhands usually are, since they’re intended to work regardless of what they’re paired with.

The theme generally seems to be one of forcing the enemy to choose between standing in the fire, and moving and being stung by torment. This is a viable theme, as long as it’s balanced so that both are bad options for the opponent, rather than needing the opponent to simultaneously remain in the fire fields for their full duration and be taking full damage from the Torment.

Whether it’s balanced numbers-wise is another question.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

Eh, the ‘white damage’ of revenant mace is on par with other condition weapons (necromancer scepter, engineer pistol, mesmer staff and scepter, ranger shortbow) so I don’t think being a hybrid weapon is a problem. It’s very clearly designed to be on the condi side, noting that very few attacks have no direct damage at all.

Axe is more of a hybrid, yes. Offhands usually are, since they’re intended to work regardless of what they’re paired with.

The theme generally seems to be one of forcing the enemy to choose between standing in the fire, and moving and being stung by torment. This is a viable theme, as long as it’s balanced so that both are bad options for the opponent, rather than needing the opponent to simultaneously remain in the fire fields for their full duration and be taking full damage from the Torment.

Whether it’s balanced numbers-wise is another question.

The problem is condition coverage in PvP. 2 condis are easily cleansed on top of their application revolving on a fire field.

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Hammer:
Make Hammer 4 into a attack as well as a projectile shield. Enemies that touch the shield is damaged while in contact. Better would be a sort of life drain from this damage as well. makes a better tanking weapon.

Hammer 5 should get a secondary chain skill that activates after the hammer falls down. Maybe make the Hammer explode on the chain effect giving a boon or condition or something.

Staff:

Staff 4 need bigger healing baseline, or add a damage effect to this.

Staff 1 chain should have a heal with each strike or at least on second chain for a small % of the damage along with orbs. Makes for a better Raid support weapon.

Staff 2 skill need change. You can take the above idea and apply here. First strike Daze target, if interrupt, the second attack heals a large percentage of the damage.

in Revenant

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

Hammer 3 could be a 2 part skill, a leap there with damage plus a leap/tele backwards. Retyrn clears condi or gives stability. Gives some nice mobility and utility we desperately need.
Edit: also, link weapon skills to either CD or Energy, but not both, it’s just frustrating and illogical.

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

Hammer 3 could be a 2 part skill, a leap there with damage plus a leap/tele backwards. Retyrn clears condi or gives stability. Gives some nice mobility and utility we desperately need.
Edit: also, link weapon skills to either CD or Energy, but not both, it’s just frustrating and illogical.

We really don’t need more shadowsteps and double teleports in this game, thieves are broken enough with it.

Rev skills just need to have energy costs removed completely for weapons, keep energy costs just for utility skills.

in Revenant

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Rev skills just need to have energy costs removed completely for weapons, keep energy costs just for utility skills.

Or just remove it entirely, it’s a boring mechanic. We have cooldowns to limit skill spam, we don’t need something else to hinder playing.

Being tied to specific utilities and not being able to customise much should be enough of a restriction.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

in Revenant

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Mace should work like spear where #1 is ranged, and #2 is your other AA with no energy cost or cool down.

Agreed with those above that weapon skills should not have energy costs.

Also as a mechanic, energy above 50% should not instantly drop to 50% when out of combat. When you leave combat the energy should slowly drain back to 50%. So many times I’ll be managing my energy, and the jog between one foe and the next is just long enough to trigger me going out of combat and snapping back to 50% energy. This gets frustrating.