Revenant beta reactions and feedback

in Revenant

Posted by: Miragee.3604

Miragee.3604

This is a detailed post I picked up from another forum to post it on here in consent with the original poster.

Having gotten my first hands-on time with the revenant today I found myself slightly underwhelmed. I think the class has great potential, but needs a few alterations. The most glaring problems that I saw will be detailed categorically below along with a purposed solution.

Hammer: I really liked the theme of the hammer and its playstyle, but I felt that it lacked sufficient means to maintain distance, making it non-viable. I purpose the addition of a knockback feature to one of the skills. I think a great option would be to add a knockback effect to skill 2. This skill already does damage based on distance, so I suggest a knockback with strength inverted by damage. That is to say that when in close quarters the skill does little damage but has a high knockback, while at a distance there is little to no knockback but higher damage.

Demon Stance: The standout issue here is the Unyielding Anguish skill. This skill seems very powerful on paper, but unfortunately is too unpredictable to use properly. The “displacement” teleport effect sends foes off randomly, causing the skill to constantly break line-of-sight and disrupt the flow of play. With so many revenant weapon skills having such high importance on positioning this means that no weapon can be used effectively in conjecture with Unyielding Anguish. I suggest swapping to a standard knockback effect like a guardian bubble after the initial teleport, or developing tech to remove the randomness of the teleport and instead hard-code it to keep the foe in line-of-sight.

Centaur Stance: The problem here is context. It appears that healing and control are being pushed hard for the expansion, and there this legend might preform admirably, however in the core game a pure healing stance like this is of little use. I suspect it will see little play in leveling and less during organized world events and dungeon runs until HoT specific content is reached. The solution would be add a greater focus on blocks and barriers to add an active defense element to tablet skills, this would make the legend more useful in areas of the game where direct healing is inconsequential.

The Big One: I feel the biggest issues with the revenant right now, from a pure design issue, is the lack of player personalization among its builds. There is simply a lack of options, and a lack of meaningful choices to be made. While every other class offers numerous ways to build for and play each possible role the revenant does not; with skills, legends, traits, and weapons so closely tied to their themes it means there is little room for player input. A rev wanting to play a healer has little choice but to take Ventari, the staff, and the Salvation trait line to do so, and since the other legends have no use in that role they will be given only secondary consideration at best. This is a problem as it means players will only have one meaningful choice; their role, instead of the numerous choices beyond mere role offered by other classes.

in Revenant

Posted by: Miragee.3604

Miragee.3604

After giving it some thought I’ve come up with a solution that I feel works within the current system and theme of the class while also circumventing the legend limitation. This solution is to add one new skill to every legend, a signet. Right now the expressed goal is to have six skills within every skill type. Some types fall short of this, but it has been said that elite specializations will offer exactly six new skills; something not possible within the five-lock of the current legend system. So I purpose adding a single signet skill to every legend, including the elite legend offering the elite signet.

These signets are tagged as legend specific skills, are unlock within their “parent” legend’s skill line, and benefit from that legend’s trait line, as well as work within that legend’s theme. This adds a small additional option to each legend package. However beyond that I envision these signets being unbound and able to be slotting into ANY legend’s skill bar. This allows a minor form of legend blending, and can offer additional options as well as adding greater importance to the third specialization option; you might only be able to slot two legends at a time but at least that one signet can benefit from those traits.

The sixth signet, or I should say first, is a non-legend heal skill that each rev starts with. Beginning at level one with no hero points invested into any legend’s skill line each revenant instead begins with a universally slotted healing signet. This means that players will ultimately unlock six signets, keeping in line with the six skills per type ideal. In addition to that this opens the ability to comprise a skill bar entirely of signets creating what is functionally a sixth legend I call Legion.

Optionally, if this idea is used, a few things can be done to make the Legion legend stand out; firstly the game can detect a full signet skill bar and replace that legend’s icon with a new one denoting that change. And since we know that legends will “talk” to the player when active this build can disable the filter and allow the player to “hear” dialog from all legends at the same time, adding to the concept of simultaneously channeling multiple legends at once.