Revenant's Main-Hand Ranged Dagger

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Please note that all the numbers are just to give an idea, they’re not balanced numbers. Balanced numbers are outcome of internal testing

Hello,

One of the most fun stuff in this game for me is drafting various builds. I enjoy coming up with interesting trait suggestions and weapons. Short list of couple of my creations:

Necromancer Changes pre-23rd July patch

Soulbinder – Necromancer Elite Specialization for WP’s contest

Now many players here and in-game complain that Revenant lacks second Condition weapon to make a non-hybid condition build, that Condition Revenant lacks second Ranged option for Condition build besides Hammer. So I thought that I will try to come up with some solution.

And I did

Here’s my suggestion for new Main-Hand Ranged Condition weapon for Core Revenant – Dagger.

Dagger’s Condition damage sources are Poison (Venom Enhancement trait is now very good) and Torment.

Link to album on imgur

First 3 attacks are part of Auto-attack chain.

So how does it work?

• Many attacks are quick and strike multiple times for good synergy with Devastation and Corruption Specializations.
  • Most attacks have a chance or are guaranteed to be Physical Projectile Finishers
  • Dagger has high uptime on Combo Field: Poison with a trail similar to one left by Elementalist’s Burning Speed. It’s up to debate how long should it last and what the cooldown on #2 should be, but currently I tuned it so Revenant could have 2 trails up at the same time.
  • Using a Physical Projectile Finisher through Combo Field: Poison adds Poison (2s) to your projectile.
  • Wailing Dagger is a 100% Physical Projectile Finisher, can strike multiple foes (it pierces) and inflicts Pain to foes hit by it.
  • Pain is an effect similar to just introduced Daredevil’s Pulmonary Impact. After 2 seconds it explodes from affected target, dealing a tiny bit of damage and inflicting Torment to all foes around the target, including target Pain exploded from.
  • Successful Auto-attack chain with Void Strike hitting all three times resets the cooldown of Wailing Dagger.

How would it be played?

Dagger is all about good positioning. Piercing multiple enemies with Wailing Dagger causes more Pain effects to explode. Launching your projectiles through Poison Fields spawned by #2 skill causes them to inflict Poison on foes they strike.

Landing your auto-attacks will let you dramatically shorten the cooldown of Wailing Dagger (but not it’s cost!). Which is a guaranteed Projectile Finisher.

Weaknesses and Counterplay

• All Projectile Dagger skills can be reflected. Reflecting Wailing Dagger may be very painful for Revenant and his group.
  • Dagger, unlike most Ranged weapons, doesn’t have any Crowd Control – no soft CC, no hard CC. It means that You, as a Revenant, will have to use your #2 Dagger skill Sadist’s Trail as your only escape mechanic on Dagger itself and supplement it’s weaknesses with other aspects of your build or with help of allies.
  • If Revenant using Dagger is not able to land all three attacks from last part of AA chain, Wailing Dagger won’t reset it’s cooldown.

Bonus Synergies
Aside from ones mentioned above, long Combo Field: Poison has good synergy with all the Blast Finishers avalible to Revenant. And because of the nature of Revenant’s Mace, which is a Condition weapon, you could get a lot of Weakness from comboing Sadist’s Trail with Echoing Eruption.

Thanks to @that_shaman for providing an excellent tooltip builder. His site: http://thatshaman.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Rym

EDIT: Updated Sadist’s Trail tooltip with longer range.

Attachments:

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Revenant

Posted by: Enrif.7359

Enrif.7359

I like it.

and again i post the picture with the Dagger Herald!

Attachments:

in Revenant

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

I’d approve just for the fact that the lack of dagger (and thus the delicious Incinerator skin) is one of the few things keeping me from ditching all other classes and jumping straight at Revenant. XD

But, it’s also a very neat concept. The AoE-on-AoE effect of Wailing Dagger reminds me of Engineer’s old Coated Bullets trait, being able to fire into a crowd to make each one explode and really pile on the damage (theoretically) the bigger that crowd was.

The direct damage seems pretty high for a condition weapon (or for any weapon, really) if that’s what it is at base Power. 1950 damage for a one-second auto-attack chain kinda overshadows the Poison and Torment. Though, I’m sure the direct damage wasn’t the focus when making the tooltips, and thus isn’t really representative of what you were after. X)

Anyway, I’d certainly use it. Would maybe want to see a bit higher range on Sadist’s Trail, as it’s not really enough to use for escape, particularly when movement abilities of that sort have a tendency to make your character pause at the end to “get their bearings” if you have any sort of lag whatsoever. For comparison, Elementalist’s Burning Speed has 600 range, and still often feels like it isn’t really enough to escape with.

Otherwise, I like it. XD

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Revenant

Rym.1469

I’d approve just for the fact that the lack of dagger (and thus the delicious Incinerator skin) is one of the few things keeping me from ditching all other classes and jumping straight at Revenant. XD

But, it’s also a very neat concept. The AoE-on-AoE effect of Wailing Dagger reminds me of Engineer’s old Coated Bullets trait, being able to fire into a crowd to make each one explode and really pile on the damage (theoretically) the bigger that crowd was.

The direct damage seems pretty high for a condition weapon (or for any weapon, really) if that’s what it is at base Power. 1950 damage for a one-second auto-attack chain kinda overshadows the Poison and Torment. Though, I’m sure the direct damage wasn’t the focus when making the tooltips, and thus isn’t really representative of what you were after. X)

Anyway, I’d certainly use it. Would maybe want to see a bit higher range on Sadist’s Trail, as it’s not really enough to use for escape, particularly when movement abilities of that sort have a tendency to make your character pause at the end to “get their bearings” if you have any sort of lag whatsoever. For comparison, Elementalist’s Burning Speed has 600 range, and still often feels like it isn’t really enough to escape with.

Otherwise, I like it. XD

Yeah, the numbers are just there out of blue. I’d like it to maybe have neat base damage, but scale worse with Power, so Condi builds with absolutely no bonus Power can still do any direct damage with it and destroy structures (like Walls or Diamond Skin Eles). But they’re just there because they were needed for proper tooltip.

Now, 600 range on Sadist’s Trail seems like a good idea, I’ll probably edit the tooltip later. Initially I was thinking about maybe an upkeep which would let you leave a trail of poison or really low cooldown of this skill (like 2s and the poor range is leftover of that). I got the idea from one of the fights in 5-man dungeon in WoW, Zul Gurub, from the first boss who spawns something like growing maze of poison trails (often referenced as “Poison Snake”) from this skill

in Revenant

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

I certainly prefer the straightforward “dash” approach. X) The only way you’d get an escape tool out of leaving a poison trail in your wake is to also give it Superspeed, which Revenants already have amazing access to via Shiro.

Well, that or making the trail apply Blind or a movement-impairing condition, as well, but the dash sounds way more fun.

The class is always greener on the other side.

(edited by Toolbox.9375)

in Revenant

Rym.1469

I certainly prefer the straightforward “dash” approach. X) The only way you’d get an escape tool out of leaving a poison trail in your wake is to also give it Superspeed, which Revenants already have amazing access to via Shiro.

Well, that or making the trail apply Blind or a movement-impairing condition, as well, but the dash sounds way more fun.

Yeah, that would be too samy to Slick Shoes.

Anyway, I updated the tooltip for Sadist’s Trail with longer (600) range as you’ve suggested.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Very nice idea. I like it.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Revenant

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Gimme Gimme!

Looks like it’d be super fun!

in Revenant

Rym.1469

Glad you like it

in Revenant

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Revenant can continue ignoring the status quo for how to use a weapon

Pretty cool idea. I think it might be overly complicated, but I like the general idea behind a ranged condi dagger option.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Revenant

Rym.1469

Revenant can continue ignoring the status quo for how to use a weapon

Pretty cool idea. I think it might be overly complicated, but I like the general idea behind a ranged condi dagger option.

It’s not that complicated, really. I wanted to put more emphasis on Combo Field usage.

Basically, what you would do uninterrupted is position yourself in a way to pierce as many enemies as possible, place your Poison field and try to hit multiple targets with #3 while resseting #3 cooldown with successful auto-attacks.

So there would be no skills you wouldn’t want to use in your “rotation” for PvE for example as every single one including AA would be vital to best performance. I think it could be decently engaging gameplay.

As yes, if we have Ranged Hammer, Ranged dagger isn’t that bad, considering they’ve just created a set of animations for throwing Daggers for Daredevil and could re-use most of it.

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Is a very cool concept, good work! only thing i see is the combo of AA and #3 seems a bit to powerful. I’d set the CD reduction to 50% otherwise #3 is sorta spammable (even i energy management).
Make lower a bit the direct damage and higher a bit the condi one and this is perfect!

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

(edited by Gaaroth.2567)

in Revenant

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Nice work – I like the idea. I agree that Revenant needs a ranged condi weapon, and I’d personally prefer it be a main-hand weapon. This idea lines up well with that!

in Revenant

Posted by: Seisus.6591

Seisus.6591

I think Revenants should get rifle to kitten off all of the thief players.

in Revenant

Rym.1469

Oh come on, we’re Revenants. We would have melee rifle

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Oh come on, we’re Revenants. We would have melee rifle

Or a Portal-like rifle

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Rym.1469

Is a very cool concept, good work! only thing i see is the combo of AA and #3 seems a bit to powerful. I’d set the CD reduction to 50% otherwise #3 is sorta spammable (even i energy management).
Make lower a bit the direct damage and higher a bit the condi one and this is perfect!

The numbers would have to be tested and balanced obviously. To be honest, I’d aim for #3 & full AA combo score be kind of Energy-heavy spam. It’s still only Torment stacking (unless you position good and use Poison fields properly) and that’s one condition.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

Anet…we want this for the core class!