Revenant still considered Meta?

in Revenant

Posted by: ElvisMcRanft.8569

ElvisMcRanft.8569

After all the talk here, I’m pretty discouraged about ever touching Rev again…
Started again in Feb, used my 80 boost for a Rev, but I was completely discouraged with all the bad talk about it.

Now after spending some time on Metabattle, I always wonder, how is Revenant considered Meta for Fractals, where Necro isn’t. And why?

Is it worth going, if I run 99% Fractals?
I would go for Staff / Hammer, whatever I need, and Sword / Shield – Shield because I really dig the added survivability.

If it’s just…well, kitten on metabattle, I think I will stick to my plan, Condi Engi or Zerker – Support Druid (with Warhorn tho).

So, for T4 Fractals – is Revenant really that good to run, or nah?

in Revenant

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

For T4 Fractals you can run anything and do just fine. People won’t discriminate against the class assuming you don’t die.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Revenant

Posted by: orisci.6527

orisci.6527

If the team is using a DPS meter then watch out. A not very good necro can out dps a good rev.

in Revenant

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

PvE: No.
PvP: competitive PvP no longer exist so doesn’t matter, really.

in Revenant

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

It is pretty decent in fractal groups where the comp is completely random and none of the other players are bringing any relevant utility. In this case it can fill in holes such as providing fury, some might, protection, projectile defense, stability, resistance, and in a group with no chrono your damage is decent since you are the only one with quickness. However once you actually try to use a semi respectable composition everything rev brings becomes redundant or obsolete, and you are left with class with not nearly enough support to make up for its trash tier dps which is why it is unofficially banned from raids.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in Revenant

Posted by: CrustyBot.3564

CrustyBot.3564

Fractals unlike raids are designed in a way where you don’t see specific classes really struggle with the content so Revenant is fine. It’s single target DPS is not particularly great but for PUGs, it’s buffing can be pretty useful since you’re not guaranteed to have might, fury, etc. The cleave and cc ability of Rev is also decidedly much more useful in fractals than raids.

As for other classes, I don’t particularly like Condi Engi for fractals that much as many fractal encounters have non stationary bosses, which can mess with your DPS significantly. Though it’s stellar for raiding if you play it well. And I’m not too familiar with Power Druid but it does not translate well at all into other high end PvE content. It’s more expensive but I feel like a Viper Druid would be infinitely better if you’re going for a Druid.

(edited by CrustyBot.3564)

in Revenant

Posted by: Its Nerfing Time.1495

Its Nerfing Time.1495

Meta just means “do this in this way for shortest amount of time”. The Rev is fine to use in all content – so please do ignore posts of “rev is trash”.

In terms of Arthurs post regarding “unofficially banned” – it isn’t. Anybody running a meta team won’t want it because of QT’s benchmark meta speed-run spreadsheet. You can easily complete raids with a Rev (plus it frees up buffers to do more DPS).

Meta is defined differently on each balance patch, so in a sense it doesn’t really matter.

Overall, ignore the bad talk (unless it’s a serious bug which is pretty much unavoidable). Most people just don’t like the Rev, but it’s easy enough to prove them wrong if you’re good with it.

in Revenant

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

You can try to sugar coat it all you want but make no mistake, for raids with the sole exception of hand kiting at deimos, no group will ever request a revenant for their squad. Many pug groups will kick you for wanting to play rev even if they only requested a generic DPS. Pugs will never request rev as a support as they will specifically ask for druids, PS warriors, and chronos for support. Most groups will insistently ask if you have anything else you can play. Many groups will treat you as a scapegoat if things start going poorly even if they are not your fault nor DPS related. No respectable raid guild that I know of will recruit someone who only plays revenant. If you get recruited to a respectable raid guild because you play something meta they will always request you play that instead of rev unless they are already good enough that they can easily kill the boss regardless of what you play and have no problem carrying a sub par class.

Rev is the worst class for raids, no contest, no real debate. Maybe they aren’t the worst by a huge margin but it is basically a unanimous opinion among the raiding community which ensures revs will be discriminated against at all levels as even noobs will try to emulate what speed runners do.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in Revenant

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

The big issue here is that Rev is nowhere near the “Flavor of the Month” when it comes to raids simply because there are outclassed in every role: tanking, healing, damage dealing, boon distribution, buff distribution, etc. So, unfortunately, there’s a huge bias against Revs in that setting. Thus, anyone playing copy-pasta will immediately turn away that class.

Though in a Fractal setting? Quite the opposite. Revs are pretty well packaged as far as being able to give just a little bit of everything bundled into one class. It’s a really good class to have when pugging as you don’t really know what you’re gonna get comp-wise (unless you’re going for condi only). Though, that’s just my personal experience as in I know our damage output won’t go through the roof, but I know I can stand next to a rev and get some really good boons out of him.

in Revenant

Posted by: ElvisMcRanft.8569

ElvisMcRanft.8569

Well, it’s, as I said, mostly meant for Fractals, T4 & daylie rec.
So you say, Revenant is very good for pugging those?

And, I know it’s the Rev and not Engi Forum, but is Condi Engi really that bad outside of Raids?
And Power Engi?

in Revenant

Posted by: susana.7814

susana.7814

Rev is fine for anything outside of raids. If you want to raid with it, prepare to be disappointed.

in Revenant

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

rev still core in WvW <3

in Revenant

Posted by: Gmaster of the shadow.9145

Gmaster of the shadow.9145

This saddens me with all the work I put into my Rev when it came out just to use it for raids, and now it is considered “obsolete”.

in Revenant

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

What’s a “Revenant”?

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in Revenant

Posted by: Its Nerfing Time.1495

Its Nerfing Time.1495

You can try to sugar coat it all you want but make no mistake, for raids with the sole exception of hand kiting at deimos, no group will ever request a revenant for their squad. Many pug groups will kick you for wanting to play rev even if they only requested a generic DPS. Pugs will never request rev as a support as they will specifically ask for druids, PS warriors, and chronos for support. Most groups will insistently ask if you have anything else you can play. Many groups will treat you as a scapegoat if things start going poorly even if they are not your fault nor DPS related. No respectable raid guild that I know of will recruit someone who only plays revenant. If you get recruited to a respectable raid guild because you play something meta they will always request you play that instead of rev unless they are already good enough that they can easily kill the boss regardless of what you play and have no problem carrying a sub par class.

Rev is the worst class for raids, no contest, no real debate. Maybe they aren’t the worst by a huge margin but it is basically a unanimous opinion among the raiding community which ensures revs will be discriminated against at all levels as even noobs will try to emulate what speed runners do.

Except they aren’t the worst class for anything. Only people interested in speed runs define it as “worst ever”. As for “unanimous”, I think you mean " amongst those who take QT’s word as bible and nothing else". Revs are perfectly capable of filling any role in raids.

I wouldn’t call any raid guild respectable if they refuse to accept any class based on what somebody else said. At the end of the day, it does not matter in any way shape or form the time it takes you to do a raid boss in. If you do it faster or slower than other guilds, so what?

in Revenant

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Fractals unlike raids are designed in a way where you don’t see specific classes really struggle with the content so Revenant is fine. It’s single target DPS is not particularly great but for PUGs, it’s buffing can be pretty useful since you’re not guaranteed to have might, fury, etc. The cleave and cc ability of Rev is also decidedly much more useful in fractals than raids.

As for other classes, I don’t particularly like Condi Engi for fractals that much as many fractal encounters have non stationary bosses, which can mess with your DPS significantly. Though it’s stellar for raiding if you play it well. And I’m not too familiar with Power Druid but it does not translate well at all into other high end PvE content. It’s more expensive but I feel like a Viper Druid would be infinitely better if you’re going for a Druid.

Your telling me my rev can be a multi class filler in fracts?