Rune of Surging & Roaming

in Revenant

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Assuming I was going to make a roaming build, would Rune of Surging be a good choice? I heard somewhere that it activates from just beginning upkeep on Glint 4, not sure if that’s accurate or if it has been changed.

I’ve also come in to possession of half a set of ascended armour via boxes, but they are only defensive stats. Would Celestial be a workable choice of stats, or is that a complete waste of time?

Thanks for reading my random questions.

in Revenant

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

I assume you mean for power rev.

You’re right, revs can instantly use elite effects on runes just by upkeeping facet of chaos (Glint elite). Note that even if you don’t use chaotic release to put the facet on CD, you still get the rune effect CD so the next time you swap to Glint you won’t get the rune effect until the 45s CD is up. To help me with this, I often use chaotic release anyway even if to just give superspeed to allies; keeping the CDs synced is more valuable to me.

Another trick you might not be aware of, if you swap your legend first, then your weapon, you can get all 4 sigil swap effects. Example, I have energy sigil on sword, I swap legends and get the energy sigil effect. Immediately after, I swap my weapon to staff (which has a hydromancy sigil) and gain the swap effects of that weapon set.

Surging is decent but IMO loses out to durability and leadership in WvW. Random protection procs and condition clears are just more likely to save your life in WvW than shocking aura.

Don’t bother with celestial. I use a mix of zerk Marauder and cavalier for both roaming and zerging.

Another nice thing, you can easily turn any roaming power rev build into a zerging rev build by changing foods, putting on hammer instead of sword shield, swapping out shiro for mallyx, and maybe changing some traits/traitlines if you’re picky.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in Revenant

nosleepdemon.1368

Ah great, those are helpful tips. You are right – I hadn’t considered being able to proc every swap sigil.

I was indeed planning a marauder roam spec, and it’s interesting that you mention you use hammer in a zerg, but seemingly not whilst roaming. I use hammer even when roaming (backed up by sword and shield) but that might be because I run straight berserker right now, and find that the hammer hits much harder than people expect it to. Zerker also has terrible survivability, so I find myself on the defensive very quickly in melee. If I can knock a third of someone’s life off by the time the fight goes to close range, they can’t just win a war of defensive skill attrition since my burst is just as likely to down them as theirs is to down me, once we run out of endurance.

I assume you roam with sword/shield and staff? How do you prevent being at a disadvantage at range? How do you open a fight / bring it to melee? Furthermore, although I know that surge of the mists is absolutely mental, I can almost never land it. Do you have any tips for decent staff usage?

(edited by nosleepdemon.1368)

in Revenant

BeepBoopBop.5403

If I’m solo or small party roaming on rev, I’m most likely using sword. I’m open to hammer and have no problems stopping a fight and going out of combat for 5 seconds to swap if I feel hammer is better for that fight, but that usually comes hand in hand with fights getting fatter and turning into zerg fights. Hammer is handy when you can hide in a cloud of players, but the smaller the number on your side, the slower and more vulnerable that hammer looks. That said, it can work for roaming (I’ve found it great for chasing down thieves, use Impossible Odds on shiro with hammer auto lol 5k 5k 5k), I just really prefer the style of sword compared to hammer’s simple pew pew.

To prevent being disadvantaged at range I do a few things. I’ll swap to shiro and kite with LoS to build up energy for a phase traversal → burst. Remember that 4 sigil swap I mentioned? If you do it right every time, and have an energy sigil, that’s an extra dodge every 10s which is equivalent to a third dodge; abuse this

in Revenant

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Don’t bother with celestial. I use a mix of zerk Marauder and cavalier for both roaming and zerging.

Another nice thing, you can easily turn any roaming power rev build into a zerging rev build by changing foods, putting on hammer instead of sword shield, swapping out shiro for mallyx, and maybe changing some traits/traitlines if you’re picky.

^ thats what i have on my power Rev. Marauder/Cav mix since fury gives 40% extra crit chance you can have a lower base crit chance. I also keep an ascended hammer in inventory for when i join a zerg. The damage is great and you can play from midline.

The 4 sigil proc is an absolute must use “trick” if you dont want to be labelled a scrub rev. :P

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Revenant

nosleepdemon.1368

I used to main a Warrior everywhere I went, and got to know it quite well. The Rev doesn’t have quite the CC potential, but for some reason I’ve been drawn to it. I feel like the skill cap is a tad higher in all content, but the play style is also very interesting. It took a looong time to get to the point where asking questions about the class felt like a worthwhile thing to do – one can read guides until they are blue in the face, but if you don’t have the faintest clue of what you are even aiming for, you are still going to get wrecked. I’ve finally started actually winning fights 1v1 with just my berserker’s gear without buffs, so I figured I’d start asking around for tips and tricks, since I reckon the time investment to build an ascended set with pvp infusions would now be worth it. I’m leaning toward Marauders for sure, lots of fights I lose tend to be close, so I don’t think I need to reinvent the wheel with a hybrid play style. I just need a bit more survivability, and to remember that 4 sigil combo

Cheers folks!

in Revenant

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

i only have one set of full marauder armor with Durability runes which i have to swap between my Rev, Power War or DH depending on which class i want to play.

I dont do much fractals or PVE so getting enough gold to make many sets is a problem. I have plenty of exotic sets and a couple other ascended sets with diff runes .

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in Revenant

nosleepdemon.1368

Ascended armour is rather expensive to make, which is why Marauder’s suits me well, as like you my Warrior is also power based.

in Revenant

Posted by: Bheowulf.4572

Bheowulf.4572

Hi everyone, thanks for the highly interesting topic – I am atm mainly playing my power rev as WvW solo roamer, since the patch it goes pretty well but heavy condi players are still a challenge so 1) any tips on how to fight necros and mesmers? I have tried a couple of times with hammer and combined to riposting shadows I can defeat some of them 2) when it comes to the rune I have actually chosen Rune of Lyssa "when you use an elite skill, convert up to 5 conditions into boons (CD: 45 secs), is this crazy compared to rune of leadership or durability? Not sure if this is a bug but it seems that Jade Winds does not work with this rune, has someone experienced the same?

in Revenant

BeepBoopBop.5403

Hi everyone, thanks for the highly interesting topic – I am atm mainly playing my power rev as WvW solo roamer, since the patch it goes pretty well but heavy condi players are still a challenge so 1) any tips on how to fight necros and mesmers? I have tried a couple of times with hammer and combined to riposting shadows I can defeat some of them 2) when it comes to the rune I have actually chosen Rune of Lyssa "when you use an elite skill, convert up to 5 conditions into boons (CD: 45 secs), is this crazy compared to rune of leadership or durability? Not sure if this is a bug but it seems that Jade Winds does not work with this rune, has someone experienced the same?

Lyssa is an available and cheap alternative, but unfortunately the stats on them suck.

When you used Jade Winds, the rune effect might have been on CD, or you did not finish casting the skill.

in Revenant

Bheowulf.4572

ok thanks, so would you choose the durability runes then combined maybe with some food providing -20% condition duration? and together with which sigil? Sigil of cleansing? Again conditions is the main issue for me running mainly with marauder stats…but maybe this is not a stuff issue but a “learn to dodge/play” issue…

(edited by Bheowulf.4572)

in Revenant

Bheowulf.4572

sorry, 1 more: you mentioned above running with mallyx/herald: could you please share a build? I would like to try out with SW/SH and Hammer, it would be great if this could be a viable build working with marauder stats, because this is the only ascended gear I have – thanks in advance

(edited by Bheowulf.4572)

in Revenant

BeepBoopBop.5403

I use Glint shiro, basically the PvP build on metabattle for traits weapons.

Durability runes are popular. I personally use Leadership for the extra clears. I also use cleansing sigil on my sword.

I don’t recommend wasting time with minus condition duration food, I felt no difference. Really just have to dodge or block everything and save your cleanses while you can. There’s also infuse light, staff 4, and some logic, like if a condition Mesmer bombs you with torment and confusion, you can mitigate the damage by waiting it out in shield 5 and not moving.

Personally I find pure Marauder to have kitten damage while still being glassy, so I’d rather mix stats since Marauder’s got too much h precision. My mix of stats gets me 228% crit damage, 85% crit chance with fury, 2.6k armor, 20k health, and 2500 power with no might. That’s with (if I remember correctly) zerk armor, Marauder weapons, cavalier rings, and rest of trinkets are Marauder. I use roasted cactus for food and furious sharpening stones for utility.

Going sword/shield and staff is the most fun to me, but substituting sword for hammer is often a good choice depending on the fight (usually more people = hammer better). I’d recommend using staff a lot, it gives 2 more clears and small heal, one of the lowest CD blocks in the game, and burst damage/CC with Surge of the Mist.

(edited by BeepBoopBop.5403)