Shiro Phase Travel + action camera help

in Revenant

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

Hey everyone,

I posted this question on reddit as well and maybe someone here already has the answer

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3pw0jd/revenant_shiro_phase_travel_action_camera/

So I wanted to play full on action camera with the new revenant profession but I am missing a certain option/feature that the normal camera mode has.

With Shiro Phase Travel you can quickly teleport to enemies further away than the skill range, enabling you to travel great distances.

With action camera enabled I keep getting the error that I need an enemy targeted to be able to use that skill, even when I already have an enemy targeted! When I get within skill range, then it works. Otherwise I get the ‘require target’ error.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Cheers!

in Revenant

Posted by: Ryokoshii.4268

Ryokoshii.4268

Press Tab I believe and you can target an enemy?

in Revenant

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

What I found is you have to right click on an enemy that is within a reasonable range (like 2000 units) for it to work :/

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

in Revenant

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

It doesnt even work in 2000 units for me, just the 1200 units skill range. without action camera is can just teleport away if I have a character targeted in the distance…with action camera only 1200 units.

in Revenant

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Yep, I had the same issue. With action camera enabled, I can’t use phase traversal at all when my target is > 1200 units away. As soon as I disable action camera, phase traversal can be used as normal. Not sure if other profession shadowsteps are having the same issue.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Probably an issue with the soft targetting system.

Tryed to “tab” or right click the enemies before fire the skill?

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: damnwidget.9301

damnwidget.9301

I noticed the same behavior, right click doesn’t work (I didn’t test tab but that just doesn’t feels right) you have to open any window or disable action camera to make phase traversal or infiltrator ( on thief ) work.

I hope they get this fixed asap as the action camera in my opinion is a huge improvement.

[SoW] Sông Of War – Baruch Bay

in Revenant

Posted by: Fel.2319

Fel.2319

pls fix this, devs. I know you all are busy with other gamebreaking bugs, but this makes rev so much more tolerable w/o herald to move around the map

Fel.2319 – Maguuma – PM for duels, Idc what u play.

in Revenant

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Do you have auto targeting on? If not try that

in Revenant

Posted by: Joel Helmich

Joel Helmich

Gameplay Programmer

This is a bug for sure, but unfortunately there isn’t a simple solution. For context, action camera intentionally does not auto select skill targets if they are out of range, which usually feels better for gameplay as most skills don’t work on out-of-range targets anyway. The exception cases were enemy-targeted shadowstep skills, such as Guardian sword 2, so I put in special logic to allow these skills to be used on a target when out of range, so long you aim at the target (though there is currently a bug with this when you have autotargeting off; see this post that I made over on the Thief forums). Specifically, the client knows whether or not to target the out-of-range enemy because the skill being used does preemptive path checking, where the skill is stopped early if no path to the target can be found.

The way Phase Traversal works is that it does a short dash and then a shadowstep toward the target, which is a pretty unusual thing. Because the majority of travel distance in the skill is from a shadowstep, it may make sense to flag this skill as needing a preemptive pathing check, so that you don’t waste it on unfavorable terrain; this would also immediately fix the described bug. However, at the same time, there is a non-zero component of travel that comes from the dash, so stopping the skill because of pathing might seem wrong in some cases. It is something that will have to be pondered.

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Solution is simple. Make phase traversal insta!

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

This is a bug for sure, but unfortunately there isn’t a simple solution. For context, action camera intentionally does not auto select skill targets if they are out of range, which usually feels better for gameplay as most skills don’t work on out-of-range targets anyway. The exception cases were enemy-targeted shadowstep skills, such as Guardian sword 2, so I put in special logic to allow these skills to be used on a target when out of range, so long you aim at the target (though there is currently a bug with this when you have autotargeting off; see this post that I made over on the Thief forums). Specifically, the client knows whether or not to target the out-of-range enemy because the skill being used does preemptive path checking, where the skill is stopped early if no path to the target can be found.

The way Phase Traversal works is that it does a short dash and then a shadowstep toward the target, which is a pretty unusual thing. Because the majority of travel distance in the skill is from a shadowstep, it may make sense to flag this skill as needing a preemptive pathing check, so that you don’t waste it on unfavorable terrain; this would also immediately fix the described bug. However, at the same time, there is a non-zero component of travel that comes from the dash, so stopping the skill because of pathing might seem wrong in some cases. It is something that will have to be pondered.

Thanks for the update!

Hmm, what to do in the meantime…do I abuse Phase Traversal on targets 2000+ units away but turn off action camera, or do I keep action camera on and limit phase traversal to targets within 1200 range…?

I think action camera wins. But it’s a tough call.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Revenant

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

I went with turning action camera off in favour of dashing through all of core Tyria in under six hours. That and you can teleport up so many ledges and across chasms, etc. easier if you can select them from that outer-space view. Just seems to have weird issues when going across water… when it is not deep enough to swim, even.

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

in Revenant

Posted by: Griffith.7238

Griffith.7238

So what I’ve done here is I have my phase traversal under the keybind of R. I then have my action camera mode toggle under the keybind of Shift-R. When I need to get to a target that is outside 1200 I simply lock them with Right Click then press Shift-R followed by R-R then Shift-R again to toggle the action mode back on. Takes a little bit of getting used to ,but for any seasoned MMO player that is used to managing a plethora of keybindings its pretty easy.

in Revenant

Posted by: Vyce.2014

Vyce.2014

Thank you for the post! I’m glad it’s being looked at. That said, PLEASE DON’T ADD THE PREEMPTIVE PATHING CHECK! This will break the skill in other ways for me.

Instead can you put in some logic that allows the right click target lock to be a true target regardless of range? Because right now it won’t work even with a manual right click to lock target either. This would fix it without changing the way the skill functions.

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

If someone breaks my void out-of-range teleportation I’ll be a really kittened revenant for sure and I’ll call upon you all the mighty Rytlock vengeance!

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Posted by: Torkable.9378

Torkable.9378

I play thief and I’ve been experiencing similar difficulty with the action camera. I love the action cam, but my teleports that normally teleport directly to a target regardless of the direction I’m facing, no longer work like that. Normally, as long as I’m in range, I can steal or infiltrator signet to a target even if they are behind me. With action cam on, if I use either of those abilities on a target directly behind me, it fizzles.

Tried lots of stuff on a friend in 1v1 arena to confirm the behavior last night, playing with auto target and right click to lock. Even when I make sure I have the lock on caret on the target and I’m in range, I will not teleport backwards.

I believe that using the infiltrator signet to cover ground on an out of range target still works, as long as I’m aiming at them, so it mostly gets me when I try to follow someone that teleported while I’m trying to stomp. I can still use the signet → steal combo for chasing and such.

If the devs had stated this was “working as intended”, I’d simply go back to normal camera mode, but since they are working to improve it I’ll stick with action cam because its awesome and wait for the fixes

Thanks for action cam anet.

in Revenant

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I just keep a keybind handy to toggle it. When travelling around i turn it off… it’s a nice feature despite some technical hurdles as this

in Revenant

Posted by: Vyce.2014

Vyce.2014

Thank you for the post! I’m glad it’s being looked at. That said, PLEASE DON’T ADD THE PREEMPTIVE PATHING CHECK! This will break the skill in other ways for me.

Nevermind. The 5s cooldown that was just added pretty much removed this function from the skill. I’m sticking with glint swiftness now. You can put this one on the backburner.

in Revenant

Posted by: Aldrin.7641

Aldrin.7641

indeed. would be nice if 5s didnt happen

Druid, Tempest, Revenant, Necromancer, Engineer