Should I continue with Revenant?

in Revenant

Posted by: ardal.5403

ardal.5403

Hello Guys,

I have been playing on and off since launch, right now I am coming back for PoF. I leveled a revenant and I am now half way through HoT.

I like Rev, their skill effects (GW1 nostalgia much?) and interesting mechanics, I hate facets visual thou – simply hideous.

Now after reading through this section on the forum I am not sure If I want to continue playing Rev. There is so much negativity for every game mode be it PvE or PvP.

Is it seriously that bad? Is Rev not apreciated in group content or PvP? Or should I just roll a different class and not feel like I am gonna be useless?

Thanks for your opinions!

in Revenant

Posted by: Law.1704

Law.1704

If you look at all the class forums besides engi right now since their op you will notice people only whining and crying. This is because the only people on the forums are the ones that didn’t like their specs and the others are happily playing the demo.

The hard truth on Revenant or Renegade elite spec in general is that its 100% useless in pvp/wvw but will be a nice upgrade in pve to the current condi build and I can see it becoming very meta in raids.

I would like to inform you that Revenant is not the only class suffering from this design choice as warriors new spellbreaker is looking to be amazing in pvp/wvw but will never be taken for anything besides solo open world roaming in pve etc etc. Hope that helped

in Revenant

Posted by: Yagudo.6759

Yagudo.6759

I’d also point out, even though a lot of people are complaining about Renegade (myself included), you should remember that Revenant isn’t losing anything. If you like their current kit, or you like Herald, or you’re enjoying it right now, then you can continue to use it in PoF. You dont HAVE to play renegade.

in Revenant

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Is it seriously that bad?

It depends on what you want out of them.

For my tastes the base profession – not the disappointing “elite” specs – is the best in the game. Because it’s less cooldown driven rotation garbage. And except for maybe one insane piece of single-player pve content, revenants are perfectly functional.

I think they’re also presently decent in PvP. Though flavour of the month changes with every patch so that’s never a constant.

Judging by forum comments they’re unpopular in raids. But raids are a problem for multiple classes. Not every ranger wants to play a healer but their elite spec (druid) was designed as THE healing profession for spike damage. Not every mesmer wants to be a tank and alacrity bot, but that’s what raids demand from them.

And of course we’re functional in underwater combat but have no choice of legends there. Still.

If you look at all the class forums besides engi right now since their op you will notice people only whining and crying.

For the OP, one thing you’ll be able to see clearly from the forums is that there’s much less activity in the revenant ones. Even now. Because it’s not a popular prof.

Most of GW2’s existing players like their cooldown driven stuff and revenant’s energy is just an annoyance on top of that. People who don’t like that style of combat might have loved revenant, except it still has a lot of cooldowns. Not only on weapons but also utilities and especially in the “elite” specs.

in Revenant

Posted by: Euthymias.7984

Euthymias.7984

-stuff-

I’ll give you a quick rundown from my perspective.

The Good:
Cool theme
Lots of Gw1 Nostalgia
Flexible – can spec/gear to fill multiple roles depending on what you want to do
Fairly challenging to use if you want something like that
Decent against Power builds (PvP)

The Bad:
There are still bugs/unfinished aspects of the class
Energy can be a kitten to manage on top of cooldowns and sometimes outright cumbersome
Certain roles are exceptionally niche – there’s not much that Rev does "better’ than others
Melts like butter to Condi builds (which are extremely prevalent these days)

>Is the Rev not appreciated in group content?
It does alright in PvE (particularly open world and Fractals, even though its not the “Meta”. If the group’s not asking for something specific, you’ll likely not have too much trouble getting in.

Raids are another matter. There are specific Meta compositions that people are often not very flexible with. You wont easily find a spot here, but YMMV if you have a guild or whatever.

WvW? Revenants are fairly appreciated if they use Mallyx/Jalis for buffs to survive condition bombs from the enemy groups or Ventari for zerg healing. They’re probably second only to Tempests and Guardian frontliners.
Dont expect to roam as well as other professions like Druids, Thieves, and Mesmers, though.

PvP?
We’re not exactly in a good place with the current meta. Its usable as a profession, but you will absolutely struggle against some matchup/comps because there’s very little you can do to disengage or manage conditions thrown on you.

I’d recommend playing it for awhile, preferably with a lv80 boost and see where it takes you. If you like playing it, then just roll with a guild if you want to play it in High end content like Raids/T4 Fractals reliably (even easier if you’re a condi-Rev). If not, there are always other options.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

If you don’t like something just reroll off it for a while.

Usually is the best solution.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

If you like playing Dan in Street Fighter, then yes.

in Revenant

Posted by: Garr.1823

Garr.1823

With revenenat – ofc you should continue. He is below average, bugged, but still fun to play.
With renegade – ofc no. It’s boring, PvE only, poorly designed, and he will stay like that for ~1 year until Anet will redesign it.

in Revenant

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Revenant is a good class but it suffers a lot from design choices that makes no sense, Renegade is flawed since people won’t even play with Kalla legend and even the Shortbow, they’ll just take the spec to get the boost in condi damage and that’s it…

in Revenant

Posted by: ardal.5403

ardal.5403

After trying other classes (mainly Daredevil and Dragon Hunter) I think that I will continue playing Revenant despite all the negativity here and in other topics.

I simply like the nostalgia and the feeling of uniqueness amongst all the other classes.

Thank you all for your input!

Cheers!

in Revenant

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

After trying other classes (mainly Daredevil and Dragon Hunter) I think that I will continue playing Revenant despite all the negativity here and in other topics.

I simply like the nostalgia and the feeling of uniqueness amongst all the other classes.

Thank you all for your input!

Cheers!

People are passionate right now to get things fixed. We know after the last time when we didn’t push as hard to get bugs fixed and issues looked at we basically had to wait a few years to see things changed/fixed. I wouldn’t take too much negativity too seriously, people just trying to make their case now when there’s a slim possibility something might change vs later when we’re at the mercy of balance passes and if someone is feeling like doing something other than just nerfing our class.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

If you look at all the class forums besides engi right now since their op you will notice people only whining and crying. This is because the only people on the forums are the ones that didn’t like their specs and the others are happily playing the demo.

The hard truth on Revenant or Renegade elite spec in general is that its 100% useless in pvp/wvw but will be a nice upgrade in pve to the current condi build and I can see it becoming very meta in raids.

I would like to inform you that Revenant is not the only class suffering from this design choice as warriors new spellbreaker is looking to be amazing in pvp/wvw but will never be taken for anything besides solo open world roaming in pve etc etc. Hope that helped

That’s not completely true. Every class has some whiners, but many people like overall almost every spec. Scourge is not perfect but has great design and condi damage and boonrip, Spellbreaker is godly for pvp, Ranger has basically been upgraded, Holosmith and Firebrand are OP, and Elementalists are only nitpicking at 2/40 skills and attunent management. Also all of them have GREAT animations and design.

This subforum has many experienced Revenants and none of them is happy with Renegade. It’s simply bad design, functionality, usage and looks.

And if you look at all the polls, Rebagade is the most disliked spec

in Revenant

Posted by: otto.5684

otto.5684

Hello Guys,

I have been playing on and off since launch, right now I am coming back for PoF. I leveled a revenant and I am now half way through HoT.

I like Rev, their skill effects (GW1 nostalgia much?) and interesting mechanics, I hate facets visual thou – simply hideous.

Now after reading through this section on the forum I am not sure If I want to continue playing Rev. There is so much negativity for every game mode be it PvE or PvP.

Is it seriously that bad? Is Rev not apreciated in group content or PvP? Or should I just roll a different class and not feel like I am gonna be useless?

Both power and condi builds work in PvE and sPvP.

In PvE you should not have any issues. Rev does put good damage while maintains good survivability. I personally find power rev to be a bit underwater in sPvP currently, but surely functional.

My issues with rev is build and weapons lack of variety and lack of range condition (this is where renegade comes). As for renegade, while it was disappointing, it is still not final. I do expect changes before release.

in Revenant

Posted by: Captain Obvious.6951

Captain Obvious.6951

Here’s the simple facts:

If you wanna dps melee in PvP, the Warrior or Guardian do it better.

If you wanna do condi build, The Guardian, Engi and Thief do it better.

If you wanna bunker, the Guardian and Druid do it better.

Anything the Rev can do, another profession can do better. The ONLY thing Rev brings to the table is some buff spamming which honestly isn’t worth it in PvE or PvP. I’ve been booted from fractal groups I joined just because I was a Rev. It’s that pathetic.

in Revenant

Posted by: Turbotef.9203

Turbotef.9203

If you like playing Dan in Street Fighter, then yes.

This really is the best description of the class tbh.

However, if you got good with CvsS2 Dan, you’d be a force to be reckoned with as no one expected him in most online matches at the time.

in Revenant

Posted by: Arkantos.7460

Arkantos.7460

Hello Guys,

I also play rev since launched, and I love to be not OP.
I love to be challenging every time in pvp with my power hammer rev in platin, because its nice to fight the meta kitten out of head of my enemies.
Dont hear on whines of forum, if you love rev then play rev like YOU want and not some kind of metashit tells you.
When new addon cames out i will fight with kalla/shiro hammer s/s and I will enjoy the crying of players ^^

Good Thiefs are average,
Skilled Thiefs are dangerous

in Revenant

Posted by: Neeja.4579

Neeja.4579

PvE only

Not really.
- Traits are decent but not worth taking over Herald.
- F-Skills are unusable since they have energy costs that mess up with any legend rotation. F3 has the highest energy cost ever seen basically, with 40 for just an aoe with average damage.
- Shortbow is the worst weapon a Revenant can equip. And Kalla used to have a Greatsword by the way.
- Kalla skills are trash. Huge energy cost for basically nothing in return. The healing is the worst in the entire game, and is a breakstun.

tl;dt
Skills are trash and traits are not enough to compensate for what Herald offers.
I don’t see myself using Kalla in PvE in its current state.

in Revenant

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

With how the summons work by buffing those in it’s radius, the greatsword would have made more sense as a weapon choice.

in Revenant

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

With how the summons work by buffing those in it’s radius, the greatsword would have made more sense as a weapon choice.

ANet is probably saving the greatsword for the next legend, the (underwater only) quaggan. It will buff magic finding in scuba places.

in Revenant

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Simple answer: If its fun, play it.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in Revenant

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

ANet is probably saving the greatsword for the next legend, the (underwater only) quaggan. It will buff magic finding in scuba places.

I’d take it over Kalla

in Revenant

Posted by: Coderie.6753

Coderie.6753

Hey I am a new player and have been struggling with this question too. What I realised after reading this thread and a few others, is that for me playing a less powerful spec is MORE fun. For me personally I am the kind in board games who if my friends complain about a tactic/strategy being particularly underpowered, I will definitely choose that tactic next game and even if I end up losing I will have a lot of fun.

I love the challenge of playing something others can’t make work and finding ways to make it work. I think that translates into gw2 too, for some people the most important thing is to “win”, however for me it’s the joy of having a challenge and pushing myself, even if that results in me doing worse.

I think sometimes people (myself included) get so caught up in the minute that they ruin the game for themselves. I am pretty sure that if you enjoy the gameplay, you can find ways to have wins with the class. Initially I was so worried about not being viable later that I kept trying to make different classes like thief etc. but it just didn’t click with me and I kept coming back to Rev.

I could be wrong though I am new hah

(Also note: I still hope they rebalance the class and fix all the issues people have been mentioning too, I just also think that you can still find enjoyment in a class even if it has problems if it suits your style)

(edited by Coderie.6753)

in Revenant

Posted by: Set.7461

Set.7461

Playing a challenging class is fine. I’ve played every class except Ele and they’re all good at what they do. The problem with playing Rev(currently) is the payoff. In this case, many of the comments you read are valid. Lots of class can do it better. The role of rev has been changed so many times, its identity is now lost.

At first, it was a heavy thief-like class with mobility and hard-hitting skills. With the constant nerfs, it has lost most of its burst and the community started to lean towards sustain. The main reason why we’re the “spam 1” in nearly all game modes is because we have to squeeze as much damage as possible out of our energy pool while still surviving. Looking at dmg per energy or survival/energy is extremely limiting because you’re poor in both but you have to constantly juggle between the 2 scenarios.

Sure this is challenging(and fun) but there comes a point where this challenge will lead to masochism. We had high hopes for Renegade and it simply failed to deliver in it’s current state. The issues of survivability and damage has not been addressed in the weaponset nor the Kalla legend.

Most people that are not complaining are the PVEr. You’ll notice they’re more interesting in roleplaying with “pony storms” and random stuff like legend chatter which gets lots of attention on reddit, but largely ignored here. While Kalla may be viable in open world, it’s largely irrelevant to the community we have here.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

I’d take it over Kalla

Fun fact: Kalla had a greatsword and never used summons