So Jalis legend was sold as a tank

in Revenant

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

Now theres a question to people who played beta..did you really had that tanky feeling? We had there stability road, hammers and a taunt paired with not so well made elite to reduce damage (3sec cast to get 5s 50% dmg reduction). Then we had Mallyx with more offensive condi stuff..but was it really that offensive?

I personally was feeling more tanky with Mallyx onboard, due to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unyielding_Anguish
and the nature of melee mobs i was able to prevent a lot of damage as mobs were unable to reach me. It wasnt the case with Jalis, all it had really going on with his tanky meme was high amount of stability, i also used it for perma swiftness to travel around but Jalis on it own was feeling sluggish, and i believe the olny “tankiness” coming from him was 3k armor in stats.

Rite had too high casttime and too short duration to consider it as a viable tool to prevent damage, stablity road wasnt really all that useful as mobs been lacking in cc, summoned hammers was mostly to increase our already pathetic dps. There wasnt any access to protection, vigor, blocks, blinds, deflect/reflect, evades, invul..you know these things that make tank..a tank. I was forced to take everything on the chest just like warrior without ways to prevent damage in Jalis..meanwhile i had great success nullify damage completely in Mallyx just to that single leap – nothing were able to get close to me, i could stand in my safe circle as long i wanted to.

How did you feel? Do you really been feeling as a tank in Jalis? For me Jalis inst a tank legend, he feels for me more as a slow mo pressure/support legend

obey me

(edited by skowcia.8257)

in Revenant

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

If you’re expecting a WoW style tank then you’re going to be sorely disappointed. A taunt, for example from what I’ve seen online is what, 2 seconds or so? It’s not a “grab and hold” skill but instead a “take the pressure off someone in trouble for a bit” skill. “Tank” probably isn’t the right word to use.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Revenant

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I’m curious, does taunt interrupt the target if it’s casting/channeling/charging a skill?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

If you’re expecting a WoW style tank then you’re going to be sorely disappointed. A taunt, for example from what I’ve seen online is what, 2 seconds or so? It’s not a “grab and hold” skill but instead a “take the pressure off someone in trouble for a bit” skill. “Tank” probably isn’t the right word to use.

I dont count taunt as a tool to hold aggro or w/e also i never played holy trinity games. For me its just a cc. Thing is it supposed to feel tanky, like you know..a guardian, pop a block here pop a blind there, pop protection or go invul for 3 seconds, repeat. Jalis has none of that. Thats why i descripted him as a pressure legend due to cc and hammers.

“When a revenant calls on the power of Jalis, they’ll be transforming into what Cronacher calls a “dwarf brawler kind of playstyle.” They’ll be a tank in the massively multiplayer sense of being able to take a lot of damage, but they’ll also be incredibly aggressive."

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/2/18/8061219/guild-wars-2-profession-reveal-revenant-pc-mmo-arenanet

None of that holds true. There arent any tools to take a lot of damage nor there any condi removal outside of heal skill.

I’m curious, does taunt interrupt the target if it’s casting/channeling/charging a skill?

Nope

obey me

(edited by skowcia.8257)

in Revenant

Valento.9852

Well, then it’s broken. If durations are very short (1s-2s), then what use would it have if target uses a 4sec channeled skill and finishes it before being lured to the caster?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Revenant

Posted by: Achrisos.1360

Achrisos.1360

I didnt play Beta but im assuming you had a predefined set of gear not to mention not full access to all traits (you didnt have 3 full trait line access back then). Hell you didnt even have Staff weap back then…

Too early to judge

in Revenant

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Wasn’t it actually sold as a Melee brawler? Corrected: Dwarf Brawler.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/2/18/8061219/guild-wars-2-profession-reveal-revenant-pc-mmo-arenanet

“When a revenant calls on the power of Jalis, they’ll be transforming into what Cronacher calls a “dwarf brawler kind of playstyle.” They’ll be a tank in the massively multiplayer sense of being able to take a lot of damage, but they’ll also be incredibly aggressive."

So a tank in the sense that it can take a lot of damage, but also dish it out.

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

Well, then it’s broken. If durations are very short (1s-2s), then what use would it have if target uses a 4sec channeled skill and finishes it before being lured to the caster?

Take it as a daze which pulls people to you and also prevents them from targetting someone else. It may have group use like taunt people to pull them into guardian traps.

I didnt play Beta but im assuming you had a predefined set of gear not to mention not full access to all traits (you didnt have 3 trait lines back then). Hell you didnt even have Staff weap back then…

Too early to judge

Its not about traits nor weapon. Its about legend itself. Ps i played 6/6/2 – maxed retribution

Yeah, but where are the tools to take that “a lot of damage” part? Before ill cast rite a warrior will put an evi into my face, a thief will land backstab into my back, a ranger will land his full rf in my chest and a shatter mes will take me down within 1 shatter.

obey me

(edited by skowcia.8257)

in Revenant

Posted by: makagoto.1204

makagoto.1204

Now theres a question to people who played beta..did you really had that tanky feeling? We had there stability road, hammers and a taunt paired with not so well made elite to reduce damage (3sec cast to get 5s 50% dmg reduction). Then we had Mallyx with more offensive condi stuff..but was it really that offensive?

I personally was feeling more tanky with Mallyx onboard, due to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unyielding_Anguish
and the nature of melee mobs i was able to prevent a lot of damage as mobs were unable to reach me. It wasnt the case with Jalis, all it had really going on with his tanky meme was high amount of stability, i also used it for perma swiftness to travel around but Jalis on it own was feeling sluggish, and i believe the olny “tankiness” coming from him was 3k armor in stats.

Rite had too high casttime and too short duration to consider it as a viable tool to prevent damage, stablity road wasnt really all that useful as mobs been lacking in cc, summoned hammers was mostly to increase our already pathetic dps. There wasnt any access to protection, vigor, blocks, blinds, deflect/reflect, evades, invul..you know these things that make tank..a tank. I was forced to take everything on the chest just like warrior without ways to prevent damage in Jalis..meanwhile i had great success nullify damage completely in Mallyx just to that single leap – nothing were able to get close to me, i could stand in my safe circle as long i wanted to.

How did you feel? Do you really been feeling as a tank in Jalis? For me Jalis inst a tank legend, he feels for me more as a slow mo pressure/support legend

that combination you mentioned actually makes him pretty tanky. Don’t consider that one legendary stance will be enough for you to use. Also rite of the great dwarf gives that damage reduction not just to you but to your whole party.

in Revenant

Valento.9852

@skowcia, you didn’t understand. Take Mordrem Thrasher for example, he starts spinning towards a direction and you taunt it, it won’t stop spinning towards that direction but by the time it finishes that movement the short time taunt will be already over.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Revenant

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Their elite is the main source I would suspect, plus the road applies weakness, so they are doing less damage to you. Haven’t really looked too much at the traits to see how this might improve things.

in Revenant

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As someone who was not in the beta, I have questions.

1. What kind of health pool does the Jalis legend bring? If it’s the same as the healing and condi legends, then the health pool size cannot be said to be a damage absorption factor.
  2. Was the 3K armor a function of the legend’s special abilities? Or was it that the gear given to beta characters was heavy on Toughness?

Passive direct mitigation in the form of Toughness and health pool size both contribute to being able to take more damage than others can. If Jalis brings neither to the table in its own right, and it lacks a lot of the damage avoidance tools the game offers, it’s hard to see is as being a tank in the sense of a damage absorber. If the Elite and “Taunt” are what makes it a “tank” in ANet’s mind, I have to question that decision.

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

@skowcia, you didn’t understand. Take Mordrem Thrasher for example, he starts spinning towards a direction and you taunt it, it won’t stop spinning towards that direction but by the time it finishes that movement the short time taunt will be already over.

Well yeah..

Their elite is the main source I would suspect, plus the road applies weakness, so they are doing less damage to you. Haven’t really looked too much at the traits to see how this might improve things.

As i said above tho, elite takes too long to cast. You simply wont avoid any burst with rite, all you can do is reduce sustained damage from auto etc but does it really worth losing dps and pressure on a opponent for 3sec? Best defense is attack after all. By running around for 3 seconds to cast it you give your opponent a huge window to intterupt it/burst. If you cancel it (olny via dodge) you lose 50 energy for nothing.

Weakness is indeed cool but thats not enough to keep him as a “tank”

As for traits
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Retribution_

I been running adept 1, master 2, gm 2 – probably the best trait from that line. Also it was hilarious to see 3 hammers spinning around you. At this point im curious why these spinning hammers doesnt cause weakness either or provide some protection/deflection effect.

obey me

(edited by skowcia.8257)

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

As someone who was not in the beta, I have questions.

1. What kind of health pool does the Jalis legend bring? If it’s the same as the healing and condi legends, then the health pool size cannot be said to be a damage absorption factor.
  2. Was the 3K armor a function of the legend’s special abilities? Or was it that the gear given to beta characters was heavy on Toughness?

Passive direct mitigation in the form of Toughness and health pool size both contribute to being able to take more damage than others can. If Jalis brings neither to the table in its own right, and it lacks a lot of the damage avoidance tools the game offers, it’s hard to see is as being a tank in the sense of a damage absorber. If the Elite and “Taunt” are what makes it a “tank” in ANet’s mind, I have to question that decision.

Stats doesnt change with legend. Base hp of rev is 15k and we all had cele gear.
2sec taunt for 50 energy cost (in other words 10cd) and 1 casttime is not worth to cast in current state in my opinion.

Rite of the dwarf is also lackluster as it takes 50 energy, needs to pull off 3 second channel to gain 50% damage reduction for 5 seconds. There is no way to avoid any burst with rite, it simply takes too much time. I believe that rite should be an upkeep skill tbh.

obey me

in Revenant

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

KILLLLLROOOOOOYYYYYYYYY STOOOOONNNNEEEKIIIIIN!!!!

in Revenant

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

well that beta was obviously a VERY old build, didn’t even have the new trait system, so literally nothing in it will be what we get with HoT in the end

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

So guys..do you feel tanky as a Jalis?

obey me

in Revenant

Posted by: jgcd.6041

jgcd.6041

A little, though some things still need to be tuned. It’s not the trinity style tank, but with the damage reduction skills, you can take a pounding if you’re careful. Of course, still getting used to it as well.

- This is a forum, expect logic to get left at the door, beaten bloody, and set on fire.

- The more asinine the post or thread, the more I am amused.

in Revenant

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

My zerker warrior with healing signet and is afk takes a better beating than a soldier rev with active defense and healing. Jalis? Pfft

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

I knew its going to happen. Jalis doesnt even do it job at “tanking”. He must be redone, rite should become a upkeep skill for a good start.

obey me

in Revenant

Posted by: manarchon.2089

manarchon.2089

You combine Jalis with Ventari and the right gear like sentinels + clerics and its kinda tanky then. Taking only Jalis is not tanky alone.

Bit the same as camping ele on earth is not tanky enough you need to use water as well

in Revenant

Posted by: Roxx.8713

Roxx.8713

You combine Jalis with Ventari and the right gear like sentinels + clerics and its kinda tanky then. Taking only Jalis is not tanky alone.

Bit the same as camping ele on earth is not tanky enough you need to use water as well

thats true but in my opinion the Ventari Board is just a nice Gimmick but in sense of PvP total useless, if u switch legend the Board disappear, so ui have to recall it every time if u switch back to Ventari, and with the current pvp “Balance” u dont have the time to do it. (i hope that each legend will get some more ultilities)
And PvE wise no one needs Tanks or Healers right now

in Revenant

Posted by: manarchon.2089

manarchon.2089

thats true but in my opinion the Ventari Board is just a nice Gimmick but in sense of PvP total useless, if u switch legend the Board disappear, so ui have to recall it every time if u switch back to Ventari, and with the current pvp “Balance” u dont have the time to do it. (i hope that each legend will get some more ultilities)
And PvE wise no one needs Tanks or Healers right now

Yes ofc its flawed in that way. The functionality needs to be tuned in some way. The ventari skills have nice heals and condiremove but they’re so slow to use you get cc:d to hell