So how is Rev in high level fractals?

in Revenant

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

Pretty much the title. I’ve swapped from thief to rev for fractals as not having to dodge every little thing a boss throws at me is nice, is it still gonna be useful in the higher tiers or should I stick to thief? I like the utility that rev brings, but thief is more damage as I understand it.

Edit: I’m at fractal scale 42 atm, but I’ve done up to 70 on thief.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

in Revenant

Posted by: Hirasaki.6208

Hirasaki.6208

I use a power/rev full ascended zerker glint/shiro invocation/devastation/herald build and it works great for tier 3 and below. Unfortunately I think it might be too squishy for tier 4 so I use my full celestial ele for that.

in Revenant

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

Rev is perfectly fine in high level fractals. I play with full berserks gear and have no problems staying alive. In fact I sometimes carry the group when everyone else is dead and I am the only one still alive. Rev has a lot of ways to deal damage and still stay alive while stay remaining in melee combat.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

Cool, glad to hear it’s doable, if difficult (which is to be expected tbh). I’m generally impressed with rev atm, it’s a much more chilled out experience than thief since it has ways to deal with stuff other than just dodging better haha xD

I don’t have any issues playing at the level I’m at but just wanted to check really, I don’t want to get to higher levels then find out people won’t party with me or something dumb like that.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

in Revenant

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

I love having a rev in the group… Swiftness helps the slower classes stay alive in so many fights, perma-fury is great, and Natural Resonance really shines in a 5-person group. Plus, never have to worry about a breakbar with a rev up in the mix. Super useful.

Also, I don’t think you’d have a problem staying alive if you’ve played thief. Kind of the same—don’t stand infront of the boss, rotate your blocks/evades, etc… Only, you also get Facet of Light so you can pretty much reset your health in any PvE scenario if ya mess up and take a big hit.

in Revenant

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Cool, glad to hear it’s doable, if difficult (which is to be expected tbh). I’m generally impressed with rev atm, it’s a much more chilled out experience than thief since it has ways to deal with stuff other than just dodging better haha xD

I don’t have any issues playing at the level I’m at but just wanted to check really, I don’t want to get to higher levels then find out people won’t party with me or something dumb like that.

Thief and Rev have been my two mains over the years, and tbh, it blows my mind that anyone defends the Thief in PvE. When I switch back to my Thief from my Rev, the difference in attrition and overall effectiveness is completely laughable. It seriously feels like I have to play twice as hard to be half as effective, and I spend more time downed than I do healthy. Maybe my build needs to be tweaked, but even a bad build shouldn’t make that much of a difference.

I’ll probably never go back to Thief full-time unless they’re completely remade from the ground up.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

Thief and Rev have been my two mains over the years, and tbh, it blows my mind that anyone defends the Thief in PvE. When I switch back to my Thief from my Rev, the difference in attrition and overall effectiveness is completely laughable. It seriously feels like I have to play twice as hard to be half as effective, and I spend more time downed than I do healthy. Maybe my build needs to be tweaked, but even a bad build shouldn’t make that much of a difference.

I’ll probably never go back to Thief full-time unless they’re completely remade from the ground up.

I posted this in another thread, but seeing as you’re also a Thief main, I have to ask you, what makes Rev good? From the skills I see Rev looks more like a Thief than Thief does lol, but that’s just aesthetics. Initiative lets us do a bunch of attacks and combo fields or whatever, but in PvE I feel like I’m just too squishy and stuck in Shortbow most of the time. Then I found out that Rev just Auto attacks to victory? That seems kind of crappy to me.

in Revenant

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I posted this in another thread, but seeing as you’re also a Thief main, I have to ask you, what makes Rev good? From the skills I see Rev looks more like a Thief than Thief does lol, but that’s just aesthetics. Initiative lets us do a bunch of attacks and combo fields or whatever, but in PvE I feel like I’m just too squishy and stuck in Shortbow most of the time. Then I found out that Rev just Auto attacks to victory? That seems kind of crappy to me.

It’s mostly that they do just as much damage as Thief, generally (more in some situations), they deal that damage more easily than thief (simpler AoE targeting and “hooking” mechanisms), AND they have much better survivability with their higher base health and heavy armor. They’re also highly versatile.

in Revenant

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

Maxed out fractals here. Used to do it on Mesmer, did it on thief, hated it and went back to Mesmer, then after signet of illusion chrono nerf started on Rev.

Rev is great in high level fractals because of boon spam, constantly accessible healing [especially with critical rate increase with fury trait with heal on critical food, heal on usage of skill that costs energy, and vampire on side/back hit trait (trait not meta, most use +20% under 50%)]. Then use Shiro daggers and/or herald heal when you’re about to get bursted? Almost always full health, fairly high DPS. Plus excellent functionality otherwise.

Ventari Tablet helps you absorb projectiles, its essentially a lower cool-down wall of reflect/feedback.
I use sword+axe with hammer on glint/shiro. CC from axe and shiro elite, CC from hammer and glint elite. CC on staff if you use it. That’s 4 CCs easily accessible.

The one thing thief did have going for it was daze/blind spam on offhand pistol. That made sword/pistol pretty nice. Not enough though. Also blind wall and stealth running certain spots.

(edited by Enokitake.1742)

in Revenant

Posted by: JahCool.3812

JahCool.3812

I used to run on my DH in fractals and decided to give revenant a try. The almost constant fury uptime plus boons are great but what really made me stay on rev is the break bar capability. You can 100 to 0 a breakbar with a single staff 5 use along with shiro/glint elite and with proper rotations you can break the bar on your own constantly. Never looked back to other classes since then.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

It’s mostly that they do just as much damage as Thief, generally (more in some situations), they deal that damage more easily than thief (simpler AoE targeting and “hooking” mechanisms), AND they have much better survivability with their higher base health and heavy armor. They’re also highly versatile.

Thanks for the reply, yeah this is what attracted me to the Rev in the first place, but I don’t wanna just auto attack and anything other than that hurts my DPS. In high fractals with Thief I feel that there’s nothing I can do short of vaulting in a few times, then dodging out, and waiting. Then I could SB spam but that’s it, and overall I feel really useless :<