Staff PVP

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Lord.4270

Lord.4270

Hi,

Lot of players says that staff is better than hammer in pvp. But, how do you deal with it ?

What s the rotation do to with ? How to use it ?

They say 5 carry lot of kills …

That s my first question, and the second is … power staff is it better than condi rev ?

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

Staff isn’t your primary weapon if you go the power rev but it’s a massive survivability and control increase.
Staff 2 is a bit energy heavy but it can be used to interrupt ress and stomps if timed well, does a respectable amount of damage with the interrupt part and currently its main effectiveness is keeping tempests overload in check.

Staff 3 is a 2 second block on a 10 sec cooldown which is great.

Staff 4 is your major source of condi cleanse if you go shiro/glint it’s also a blast and a small heal.

Staff 5 is my favorite CC
short cast, eats stability and breakbars for breakfast, it is incredibly effective in interrupting stomp/ress, and it does a large amount of damage if aimed right ( try to keep your target aligned with you or smash him against a obstacle.)

As far as I’m aware condi rev is the go to right now but shiro/glint has a place.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Staff sucks period.

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: thebatman.6250

thebatman.6250

Hammer has no place in PvP right now. I’ve seen plenty of revs walking around using TDM’s build thinking its hottest thing because of CoR. Staff is a much more viable option in PvP. Staff #5 has amazing point control if done properly. The #3 is one of the best blocks in the game. 2s duration w/ 10cd and a blind at 600 range is just beautiful. The AA damage is enough to keep pressure going on your targets while you wait to swap to Sw/sh.

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Hammer doesnt work bc Jalis kit is broken. There is nothing on hammer that help you kite and in melee range it sux forcing you to swap weapon unlike dh that can pressure you still with no range penatly on true shot+traps.

Why hammer sux cus of Jalis? Bc vengeful hammers used to deal 200% more dmg so you wasnt really forced to swap out from hammer and keep going just like dh can do with traps. Synergy between jalis and hammers was great back then but cause they nerfed it into oblivion it doesnt work anymore. Hammer is pure pve/wvw wep now.
Damage nerf on Jalis hammers need to be reverted.

Staff is more of a utlity weapon but cd’s on 4 and 5 are a bit too high when other weapons (-shield) has 12/15cd. Its overall in good spot tho but cds could be tweaked a bit.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Wolfs Shadow.7234

Wolfs Shadow.7234

Hi,

Lot of players says that staff is better than hammer in pvp. But, how do you deal with it ?

What s the rotation do to with ? How to use it ?

They say 5 carry lot of kills …

That s my first question, and the second is … power staff is it better than condi rev ?

It is better than hammer in my opinion.

But is situational.

Just for 5 alone can do the following.

5 is great for for the following
- Dodging out / extra mobility.
- Interrupting
- Pushing off enemy revives,
- pushing players off point on a close cap
- Downing a player quickly comes with practice, but you can do some serious damage. You’ll keep your eye on their boons, dodges & if possible on your own boons (might).

I can’t confidently say it is better than condi rev since that varies based on so much (team comp, opponents you are up against and really what players are most comfortable with). I still run condi rev, but power rev certainly should use staff

(edited by Wolfs Shadow.7234)

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Imperator totius Sylvari.9164

Imperator totius Sylvari.9164

To use Staff, do not use the second skill, or seldom use it. Autoattack is decent, staff 3 is a nice block, staff 4 is one of our few condi clears and staff 5 is a godlike skill, it rips stab like no tomorrow and is an evade great to use on a downed enemy which has a person reviving that is not invulnerable.

Hammer on the otherhand is slow, its skill 2 does not hit hard enough in pvp situations, as people tend to close in and that negates a rather large chunk of its damage, skill 3 is good for its evade, skill 4 is kinda useless due to the amount of projectiles being near 0 and skill 5 is to slow and very very nicely telegraphed.

Founder of [CBA]/Former vE
No.2 Warrior NA/Irl behind Mr Kitten.7359

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Bullet.9271

Bullet.9271

In my experience hammer is the better way to go in PvP for a power Rev. I have had a large amount of success with it. For me it comes down to versatility. Staff is a melee weapon that in my opinion is a one trick pony. #5 is a great knock back burst skill that can really put the hurt on one or many opponents that are not ready for it, but that’s basically it. You have a block on #3 and a small heal/slow condi clear on #4. Regular damage on staff is nothing to cheer about, especially when your other set is also a melee weapon that hits like a truck. The hammer offers much more to round out a power Revs kitten nal. It gives the Rev a ranged option. Regular damage is pretty decent, at least as good as staff. #3 is an amazing skill. It’s an evade that can also be used offensively to trigger dragon hunter traps and AoE reveal from afar. #4 is a projectile block that when combo’d with the hammer auto attack life steals. When you combo hammer #4 with #1 while under Shiro quickness, it’s like a life stealing machine gun. #5 is a great skill because of the long tell it has. People will either react to it by burning their dodges or they will get knocked down. Either way you can set up your burst for when the hammer drops.

So in summary, hammer has an evade in place of staff’s block, can heal via the life steal, has an AoE knockdown that you can also use to set up bursts and is a ranged option. My advice is go with hammer.

The Bullet – human engineer of OMNI on Stormbluff Isle

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

In summary staff 2 (daze part) hits like a truck, is good to interrupt rez/stomp. As for hammer 5 – i dont dodge, i just walk out of it radius before it even land lol.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Staff 4 need to heal more and do damage and create a water field. Staff 2 should be switched around the chain order.

staff 5 need a different ground target system.

staff auto need baseline regen and swiftness.

Energy cost of staff skills need reduce in their current form.

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Bullet.9271

Bullet.9271

In summary staff 2 (daze part) hits like a truck, is good to interrupt rez/stomp. As for hammer 5 – i dont dodge, i just walk out of it radius before it even land lol.

In a 1v1 that is certainly true, you can and should absolutely just move out of the way vs burning a dodge; but in team fights Hammer #5 is great. When players get team fight tunnel vision they don’t often notice the faint ghost hammer right away and either get hit or dodge. Even if they don’t burn a dodge, having a player moving from a place you don’t want them is also a form of crowd control. For example, if a team mate is downed I can cast hammer #5 to also give myself a little cover against people melee cleaving while I rez them. Another situation is when I’m capping a point and have a thief incoming who stealths, I can cast hammer #5 on myself to deter him from meleeing me right away or catch him while he positions for a backstab.

I’m just saying don’t dismiss hammer. It’s a fantastic tool for a power Rev.

The Bullet – human engineer of OMNI on Stormbluff Isle

Staff PVP

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Hammer doesnt work bc Jalis kit is broken. There is nothing on hammer that help you kite and in melee range it sux forcing you to swap weapon unlike dh that can pressure you still with no range penatly on true shot+traps.

Why hammer sux cus of Jalis? Bc vengeful hammers used to deal 200% more dmg so you wasnt really forced to swap out from hammer and keep going just like dh can do with traps. Synergy between jalis and hammers was great back then but cause they nerfed it into oblivion it doesnt work anymore. Hammer is pure pve/wvw wep now.
Damage nerf on Jalis hammers need to be reverted.

Staff is more of a utlity weapon but cd’s on 4 and 5 are a bit too high when other weapons (-shield) has 12/15cd. Its overall in good spot tho but cds could be tweaked a bit.

hammer doesn’t work in high end PvP environment but in mid/low with plenty od squish trap DH, CoF cast at the border of points is massive. I usually run Shiro/Glint and i swap staff to hammer as soon as i see 2 guards on the other team. Can’t really quantify how many times the mid fight was won because i shotted down the guards with hammer#2 and disarmed the traps with hammer#3.
Yeah, sure is a niche :P

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?