Staff for pvp ?

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

opinions ? i seriously can’t decide Hammer or staff…..

im leaning to staff because
1 i hate hammers
2 staff has cool fight animations
3 has some heal

but looking at PvP videos seems like everyone and his grandmother using hammer….
has some crazy dmg and range.

so going Sword/shield , Staff in pvp would i kitten myself ? on a Shiro/Glint build ?

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Any work. I see phantaram doing success on his sword shield n staff rev. I personally will go sword shield n hammer cuz i dont want to be tied to melee which is a hinderance in some scenarios. Hammer is also quite versatile, as with the staff.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

As long as you’re running Shiro, it should be fine. With the insane mobility you get from Shiro, it makes the range from hammer a lot less necessary.

In WvW the hammer will be a lot better but in sPvP, both the hammer and staff are good choices.

I personally am the other way around. I don’t like the staff but I love the hammer but all of the weapons on the rev are really quite good. Any and all combinations of weapons can be used with the right build.

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Imo Staff isn’t something you can replace, it’s a mandatory weapon because of its desfensive capabilities (block, evade, condi cleanse). Even that damage can be great with #5 not to mention how handy that instant CC is.

Taking it out would be a yolo move :P But we’ll see.

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Yolo move is to run 2 melee sets when sword/x+hammer is superior. Regards to double melee freebags i have met on my way.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

(edited by Burtnik.5218)

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

Yolo move is to run 2 melee sets when sword/x+hammer is superior. Regards to double melee freebags i have met on my way.

Hammer supremacy!

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Hammer is better if you tend to +1 more and want burst, Staff is better for long fights on nodes.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

if you run marauder you take hammer. if you run something more tanky you take staff.

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

witcher.3197

Yeah when you are being bursted by 2-3 people and glint is on CD please tell me how your super slow ranged weapon with 1 single evade helps you survive

Sword set is for bursting, 2nd set should help you survive. Btw staff also has somewhat decent damage, skill 5 actually does more than decent dmg.

if you run marauder you take hammer. if you run something more tanky you take staff.

It’s like saying “thief shortbow is for condi builds only”.

(edited by witcher.3197)

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

Yeah when you are being bursted by 2-3 people and glint is on CD please tell me how your super slow ranged weapon with 1 single evade helps you survive

Sword set is for bursting, 2nd set should help you survive. Btw staff also has somewhat decent damage, skill 5 actually does more than decent dmg.

It’s like saying “thief shortbow is for condi builds only”.

Hammer is not optimal vs certain classes (builds) but it can be said also about staff. Even then tho, you can open with hammer and force ppl to waste 2 dodges quite easily. Projectile block also prevents a lot of pressure, including condi as most condi based attacks are projectiles. You can literally annihilate any condi engi with hammer for example as theres not much they can do at this point.

Hammer allows you to pressure from distance as ruin is nothing to joke about, and that is really useful thing in teamfights. When you get focused by 2-3 ppl you gonna die no matter what you run. Staff wont save you in this situation either. 1 1/4 evade vs 2 sec block. No big deal except evade will always remain evade while there are still unblockable attacks around.

And sword is olny for bursting? Sword actually shinies at sustained damage rather than bursting. I would not consider UA to be burst, as it takes 2 seconds to deal damage.
You know what is real burst actually? Insta 15k from mes. Surge can be considered a burst skill, but UA takes twice as long to deal the same kind of damage and doesnt cc.

Sword is pretty much sustained damage weapon like necro dagger, but unlike necro we can pop up quickness at anytime and deal true pain to anyone who dared to face us in melee. Even reapers has to step back if they dont want to melt. At this point we can consider sword aa to be also burst in this case as it damage is not far away from UA by any means.

I personally had no problem surviving in teamfights with s/s+hammer and berserker amulet. Note that i mention berserker amulet which puts me at..16k hp. Shiro/Glint is not that kind of rev you can focus in teamfight as it is pointless with the amount of evade/blocks we can get along with Glint heal.

td;dr
Hammer is underestimated by community.

(edited by Burtnik.5218)

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Rym.1469

Don’t underestimate Hammer. Staff isn’t really super defensive set either, it’s more utility based. Good player with Hammer can really do a lot of burst and mess in teamfight, much more than Sword #3.

Excuse me, but you sound a bit like a person who watched a lot of streams and Phantaram playing and think you already know everything about Revenant. You don’t.

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

witcher.3197

Don’t underestimate Hammer. Staff isn’t really super defensive set either, it’s more utility based. Good player with Hammer can really do a lot of burst and mess in teamfight, much more than Sword #3.

Excuse me, but you sound a bit like a person who watched a lot of streams and Phantaram playing and think you already know everything about Revenant. You don’t.

Didn’t watch too much of phantaram during betas, but I did play revenant whenever it was available, so I think I know something about it

Hammer is indeeed a very powerful weapon, but it’s best used in premades where you won’t really be forced out of your role and can rely on teammates for support.

I was mostly using sword/axe staff, staff allows me to go for more offensive stuff like the axe off-hand or even zerker amulet in some cases because of how well you can disengage with it especially combo’d with shiro.

I’m not against using hammer, I’m just saying that for a 2nd set you’ll need a staff, whatever your build is.

(edited by witcher.3197)

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Rym.1469

You absolutely don’t need a staff as second weapon set. Proven by Celestial builds for example.

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

You absolutely don’t need a staff as second weapon set. Proven by Celestial builds for example.

so Sword / X is a must, so it’s down to players to choose between staff or hammer. Just checked metabattle that the current meta is staff, and is your celestial builds one of the builds listed under the test section on metabattle?

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

so Sword / X is a must, so it’s down to players to choose between staff or hammer. Just checked metabattle that the current meta is staff, and is your celestial builds one of the builds listed under the test section on metabattle?

Let’s be honest the meta hasn’t been established yet.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

Meta is a joke and i suggest to not follow it. Going double melee is sucide espesially vs dh while with hammer you can faceroll them.

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

rchu.8945

if it’s ok, may I ask those that have PvP extensively share some builds (differ from metabattle) with hammer as weapon that you guys are having success with?

Thanks in advance.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

witcher.3197

Let’s be honest the meta hasn’t been established yet.

Every single competitive team’s running S/Sh Staff revenants since day 1, it’s safe to say that revenant meta already settled.

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Rym.1469

I wrote guide for Celestial on metabattle and it’s somewhere in the drafts or test, haven’t checked since.

As for meta or not meta – I have no idea. I think it can easily be competitive even right now, surely if Mallyx changes are on the way, but I believe most feel safe on power herald, copying one build.

While it sacrafices a bit of mobility and on-demand quickness for rezz, Celestial can deal with things Power Rev has major problems – conditions, boons, Scrappers and even Condition Reapers while dealing roughly same total damage and bringing utility like AoE Resistance etc.

Contact me in-game or check my streams if you’d like to see how it works.

(edited by Rym.1469)

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

rchu.8945

I wrote guide for Celestial on metabattle and it’s somewhere in the drafts or test, haven’t checked since.

As for meta or not meta – I have no idea. I think it can easily be competitive even right now, surely if Mallyx changes are on the way, but I believe most feel safe on power herald, copying one build.

While it sacrafices a bit of mobility and on-demand quickness for rezz, Celestial can deal with things Power Rev has major problems – conditions, boons, Scrappers and even Condition Reapers while dealing roughly same total damage and bringing utility like AoE Resistance etc.

Contact me in-game or check my streams if you’d like to see how it works.

thanks, I will check it out

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

1200 range and a shield against projectiles… at least take the hammer with you as back up.

Staff for pvp ?

in Revenant

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I think it’s easy to agree upon that both staff and hammer should be very present in your bags at the very least!