Sword DPS-Unrelenting Assault Single Target

in Revenant

Posted by: Scar.1793

Scar.1793

Hey,

I’ve tested Revenant twice, but always felt something was lacking. Just like the previous Beta week-end, I still find Unrelenting Assault to be quite weak, even after a 30% damage increase.

To me the issue is the fact that it wants to be some kind of AoE attack, but thing is, it’s not even good at it, not at all. And even on a single target, it doesn’t do much damage.
Sure you get an evade, but look at pistol whip for example, it’s less flashy but does decent damage (AoE and on a single target) why not Unrelenting Assault ? Just because it gives 7 Might Stacks? Hell, Might Stacks are easy to get, especially in PvE.

Right now, I feel sword is more about auto-attacking in PvE, just like Warrior’s axe, which is honestly very boring. Sword offhand doesn’t feel helpful either in a PvE scenario, and people are already starting to use offhand Axe to replace it because it’s more useful. Kinda sad since Swords were supposed to be burst-DPS weapons.

I do think giving Unrelenting Assault decent damage would make the gameplay more entertainning, using mainly auto-attacks to DPS.. it shouldn’t be that way unless you want to be bored.

Just my opinion ^^

in Revenant

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I feel like it’s in a good place. It does decent damage while gap-closing, sticking to the target, evading, and giving you might stacks.

in Revenant

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

I disagree, this skill is incredibly bursty especially in PVP. I can basically 1 shot a thief with this skill on a zerker revenant and they can’t do anything because of the evade. A buff is the last thing it needs right now.

in Revenant

Posted by: Demented Yak.6105

Demented Yak.6105

It’s absolutely perfect as it is. It does great damage to a single target and even helps when you’re 1v2. Any more damage and it would be a bit over the top.

in Revenant

Posted by: Aleth.9630

Aleth.9630

You are wrong in terms of PvP, I was watching 1v1 arenas and it’s the strongest skill of the Revenant for that.

I don’t like the design however, why does it split to multiple targets? It feels like it’s punishing you when there’s more than one enemy (including pets), and it shouldn’t be that way because that’s a silly condition for a skill to be good.
They should just make it target-only and balance its damage around that. Also, full-time evade might be too strong for PvP, maybe it should not evade during the ~0.5s windup animation it has? Otherwise there are no simple counters, you can’t run away, double-dodging is too wasteful, and you can’t interrupt it.

And while we’re talking about the skill itself, why isn’t it showing the total damage per target as all other Flurry-like skills do (Pistol Whip, Blurred Frenzy)?

(edited by Aleth.9630)

in Revenant

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Unrelenting assault plus enchanted daggers is some large burst on a single target. I’ve taken people from 100% down to around 20 or less with one burst.

in Revenant

Scar.1793

Some of you didn’t read the OP, I was talking about PvE not PvP.
And yea, I know why the damage was low, I was using the celestial gear instead of zerk. ><

Still I think Unrelenting Assault would be way more reliable if it was single target or at least focus on a target while dealing some to nearby ennemies.

in Revenant

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Personal Opinion here:

I think Unrelenting Assault is exactly where it needs to be. Damage is not so high that mobs or players can be burst down with 1-2 hits of it. Damage is high enough that it doesn’t feel under-powered and useless. Having the evade also doesn’t make me afraid to use it in larger combats.

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I disagree. Sword 2 on the other hand need to be buffed to actually hit enemies.

in Revenant

Posted by: Warulfen.6549

Warulfen.6549

Using UA for groups of enemies will deal light damage across them all, as intended. If you want massive AoE damage you pop Impossible Odds and just slash away with your auto for loads of cleaving explosions and vuln.

That said, sword OH is still an excellent tool in PvE for dealing with sudden aggro (2-sec block plus immob), or to drag important mobs away from a group to burst them down with daggers and UA.

in Revenant

Posted by: Michal.4513

Michal.4513

Assult seems fine, but bugged, it hell using it on Hammer or map where is alot of obscales. I got multiple time stucked on them…. And.. mby its annynoing to fight ranger or minion master necro, but its help vs Mesmer clones x)

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

The only problem with UA is when it simply doesn’t work because of uneven terrain. I played PvE all day yesterday and thought it was great. Keep in mind that the evade is an extremely powerful defensive tool.

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I just hate how it easily miss fire when terrain constricted.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rygg.6237

Rygg.6237

I think UA doesn’t display damage like HB or WW and that’s why you feel it’s weak, hitting 5 times for 5-7k seems weak to the eye indeed, but you can 100 to 40% thieves and mesmers with a well time UA, in the previous iterations of revenant you needed to burn 70% of your energy for that to happen, also why bother with UA DPS? altogether the animation is kitten, yeah but the Autoattack chain is just better for that, stack 25 might and get fury, get a sigil of air in your sword MH and turn on Impossible Odds, you’ll be hitting 15-18k each 1.475 seconds while you have quickness, Also the evade is a good oh kitten button too lol.

in Revenant

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

It’s incredibly overpowered 1v1 in PvP. It’s Blurred Frenzy on crack, and them some.

in Revenant

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

I know it’s WvW, but i’ve been hit for 7*1.8k by this skill, which would have been enough to “oneshot” a glassy thief while evading and chasing the whole time.

for comparison:
- Blurred Frenzy: 2.4 multiplier over 8 hits
- Pistol Whip: 3.33 multiplier over 9 hits
- Unrelenting Assault: 5.005 multiplier over 7 hits

Keep in mind that Unrelenting Assault tracks and stacks might, while the other 2 skills selfroot.

Obviously, this skill gets weaker the more targets it has, but for single target it’s amazing.

in Revenant

Posted by: Valfaros.6908

Valfaros.6908

It’s good where it is. Rev really needed some skill for more sustain this skill does a quite good job.

in Revenant

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Only problem with Unrelenting Assault is the pathing making it fail to deliver damage constantly at the slightest hint of terrain issues.

Otherwise it does around 20k+ damage on a full berserker revenant while giving you evade frames.

Unrelenting Assault is basically a way better Blurred Frenzy.

It’s absolutely fine and if anything the revenant doesn’t ened more DPS buffs. It’s right up there with thief and engineer for PvE DPS and only behind staff ele.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Sword #3 is an evade now, and a very long one. With that + 7 stacks of might, it could even do 0 damage and still be good (better then #2 for sure)

in Revenant

Scar.1793

Otherwise it does around 20k+ damage on a full berserker revenant while giving you evade frames.

I’m not really sure it does this much damage, unless maybe, maybe with 25 stacks, fury and full crit. Otherwise I don’t see it do as much damage like a Hundred Blade. Only way for it to be that good imo is to either use Burst of Strength (from the Facet of Strength) for an instant +20% damage or use enchanted daggers.
It’s not a bad skill, just lacking a bit of damage in my opinion.

Sure I can’t test with my ascended gear on my war because the bank is not updated, but still in exotic gear it’s not that much different either. I don’t think it would get that high in a single UA.

in Revenant

Iavra.8510

That’s the thing, it shouldn’t do 100B damage, since that skill selfroots while Unrelenting Assault tracks and evades for the whole cast time.

in Revenant

Rygg.6237

Also daily reminder that the skill is good as it is now, since a lot of people will cry about it being OP, you can interrupt it when the animation starts, since the rev does a backflip, if you daze/stun there it’s fully interrupted, also if you blind the revenant and do one dodge you can wait and immob the revenant or daze at the end of the animation then burst, an enemy even can kill a revenant if it’s less than 50% HP

in Revenant

Scar.1793

That’s the thing, it shouldn’t do 100B damage, since that skill selfroots while Unrelenting Assault tracks and evades for the whole cast time.

I’m not saying it SHOULD do the same damage, just that it needs a little bit more damage, the guy I quoted talked about 20k+ damage, I was just saying from my testing POV it’s clearly not near that.

in Revenant

Posted by: RJMazz.6798

RJMazz.6798

Bro, when coming out of Glint with my facets buffing me with Fury and some Might stacks I’m able to kill a thief through a single use of Unrelenting Assault.

I don’t know where you’ve seen it deals little damage ST.

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

It does 20k+ damage on a fully buffed meta group. 25 vuln stacks, banner PSEA warrior present.

Single target of course, the attack becomes much weaker if there are other mobs around.

So what, mobs in PvE don’t dodge so the whole self rooted argument is pointless.

100b should do less damage if anything considering it CLEAVES ALL TARGETS FOR THE SAME DAMAGE, whereas Unrelenting Assault’s damage is spread among the targets.

in Revenant

Iavra.8510

I know there are people actually caring about PvE, but it shouldn’t matter (that much) when balancing skills.

in Revenant

Scar.1793

I still don’t understand that despite saying I’m talking about PvE and not PvP people still find a way to talk about it. Anyways..

It does 20k+ damage on a fully buffed meta group. 25 vuln stacks, banner PSEA warrior present.

Single target of course, the attack becomes much weaker if there are other mobs around.

Ah, well with that kind of setup, anything with zerk gear can do decent damage for sure.

in Revenant

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I actually think its too strong with the evade

in Revenant

Iavra.8510

I still don’t understand that despite saying I’m talking about PvE and not PvP people still find a way to talk about it. Anyways..

I know, but unless they split skills between PvE and PvP, skills must be balanced for the latter one due to #eSports.

in Revenant

Zenith.7301

Ah, well with that kind of setup, anything with zerk gear can do decent damage for sure.

Few classes on that setup can do that number with a single skill even with all the buffs.

You have warrior, ele, and thief. Guardian with whirling wrath may get close.

Necro outside the new Gravedigger cannot do that. Mesmer cannot do that. Ranger’s rapidfire is the only skill that can hit that high, and as we know you only use the longbow as an opener.

However, none of those skills come up with a nifty 2 seconds immunity frame nor are they gap closers.

Unrelenting assault is really good when it doesn’t miss half the time due to pathing issues.

in Revenant

Posted by: Terrorsquad.4802

Terrorsquad.4802

UA is beyond OP, how can u call it weak? It even follows when target is going onto a ledge. The burst is beyond amazing right now. I feel Revenants are fine now damage-wise.

Denied NA Account | 8.4k hours | 5.6k Games | Bored

in Revenant

Posted by: Bean Muncher.5197

Bean Muncher.5197

UA doesn’t need more damage. As has been said before, it is a gap-closing, stronger, might-granting Blurred Frenzy. It’s pretty much objectively better than Blurred Frenzy, so if they want a buff to it, they’d better halve Blurred Frenzy’s recharge and make it create a clone with every hit.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

UA is beyond OP, how can u call it weak? It even follows when target is going onto a ledge. The burst is beyond amazing right now. I feel Revenants are fine now damage-wise.

It’s far from being op because it also has energy cost, so no jade winds or 2 less seconds of impossible odds. It’s just good.

Also you lose dps if a rabbit is close. It’s basically useless in aoe except for might stacking.

in Revenant

Rygg.6237

I’m not saying it SHOULD do the same damage, just that it needs a little bit more damage, the guy I quoted talked about 20k+ damage, I was just saying from my testing POV it’s clearly not near that.

Again, why more damage? Revenant is already the 3rd top DPS class just after a perfect condition engineer with a top notch rotation and staff elementalist that is asking for a not needed nerf.

in Revenant

Kidel.2057

Cough cough… Ice Bow linecasting .. cough .. 64k dps .. cough.. pls nerf

in Revenant

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

UA is fine. It’s nicely balanced. Against a single target it’s very effective, but a single target is also going to be watching for this skill. The telegraph is relatively appropriate for what it’s offering.

The damage is fine. If we’re talking PvE you’re in one of two scenarios. Single target (normally a boss) or multi-target (trash mobs or trash mobs with a boss). Revenant excels at cleaving and the more targets, the better.

You pretty much have two primary options when engaging a PvE scenario. One is autoing and utilizing other skills to sustain DPS against multiple foes, or utilizing UA against a single target.

This is of course ignoring all other skills the Revenant has to offer. You need to remember you aren’t going to be JUST camping sword as there’s times where Staff or Hammer may be needed in PvE (sword offers practically 0 break bar counters for example).

The skill is fine. Doesn’t need a change

noice

in Revenant

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I was playing Shiro/Glint Sword/Axe in PvE and having a ton of fun. It was pumping out highly competitive damage with the other classes I was playing, and very survivable too.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”