Three Legends [Suggestion]

in Revenant

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

I think having three legends would solve many of Revenant’s problems.

Going 50/50 on two legends seems underwhelming. Mixing three subsets = build diversity.

For example, if we take the Power Rev build and throw Mallyx in the mix, you automatically get the answer for low condition cleanse.

There are so many possibilities by allowing three legends. As far as I can tell I don’t see any broken mechanics that can come from this. Remember that by going to one legend you can’t use the other legends, so just because you have more legends doesn’t automatically make you 2x more powerful. It just allows for more build variety.

(edited by Abelisk.4527)

in Revenant

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

The bigger underlying problem with the utilities is that we can’t mix and match like other classes. I’ve been using Rev on and off in PvE and only just started in WvW, and its quickly obvious that most builds tend to rely on only 1 utility in each Legend (usually the one with the highest energy cost), leaving the other 2 as purely opportunistic.

The whole reason this usually ends up being awkward is that each skill set (including weapons) exist in a vacuum, and aren’t designed to synergize internally. Part of it has to do with the Rev being considered a pure support class (back liner), but mostly its their attempts to simplify balance by designing it as presets. And more then any other class (in theory)…. Rev synergy does have the potential to compound out of control, if its force multipliers were internal instead of external.

A 3rd legend doesn’t solve the underlying issue, as its the disjointed skill/trait interactions that are causing the class to feel the way it does. What the Revs need for general PvE is for one of trait lines (likely Shiro) to gain better momentum with more enemies in the field. Mallyx in an offensive config does this through AOE; but Shiro lives in this dissonant state where his traits are clearly designed to take advantage of his attack rate to ramp up damage, but it caps out too quick to do well as single target, and his damage gets diluted quickly with multiple targets. On the one hand the cap is there purely for sPvP balance, but it leaves PvE players very few options for handling mob groups at close range without loading Mace/Axe (which means condi gear) and Mallyx for the AOE.

Shiro’s kit (Sw, Trait, and Utilities) needs something that can build up and burst med sized groups of mobs, or a trait that can turn Jade wind into a finishing move, converting vulnerability stacks into damage.

in Revenant

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

The bigger underlying problem with the utilities is that we can’t mix and match like other classes. I’ve been using Rev on and off in PvE and only just started in WvW, and its quickly obvious that most builds tend to rely on only 1 utility in each Legend (usually the one with the highest energy cost), leaving the other 2 as purely opportunistic.

The whole reason this usually ends up being awkward is that each skill set (including weapons) exist in a vacuum, and aren’t designed to synergize internally. Part of it has to do with the Rev being considered a pure support class (back liner), but mostly its their attempts to simplify balance by designing it as presets. And more then any other class (in theory)…. Rev synergy does have the potential to compound out of control, if its force multipliers were internal instead of external.

A 3rd legend doesn’t solve the underlying issue, as its the disjointed skill/trait interactions that are causing the class to feel the way it does. What the Revs need for general PvE is for one of trait lines (likely Shiro) to gain better momentum with more enemies in the field. Mallyx in an offensive config does this through AOE; but Shiro lives in this dissonant state where his traits are clearly designed to take advantage of his attack rate to ramp up damage, but it caps out too quick to do well as single target, and his damage gets diluted quickly with multiple targets. On the one hand the cap is there purely for sPvP balance, but it leaves PvE players very few options for handling mob groups at close range without loading Mace/Axe (which means condi gear) and Mallyx for the AOE.

Shiro’s kit (Sw, Trait, and Utilities) needs something that can build up and burst med sized groups of mobs, or a trait that can turn Jade wind into a finishing move, converting vulnerability stacks into damage.

Agreed. +1

in Revenant

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I wish there was no cooldown on legend swap and they functioned like kits. And that energy didn’t reset on legend swap but instead there were skills with energy management effects.

in Revenant

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I wish there was no cooldown on legend swap and they functioned like kits. And that energy didn’t reset on legend swap but instead there were skills with energy management effects.

The energy management is part of a weird compromise in usability. If 100% energy carried over on swap, the energy cost for their big skills (which are the ones we use more then anything else) would have to up as well. But if low energy carried over on swap, you couldn’t afford to use skills. The Energy management is to limit their burst potential on one skill set, while the Energy reset on swap is there to make sure you can use any skill immediately without forcing you to be over conservative in your previous Legend.

As seen with thieves, recouping resources through skills gives an insane amount of burst potential without a Timer to halt it. But at the same time, the timer renders the resource kind of pointless. Its a big reason why the weapons skills feel so clunky to use on Revs, as they use both… and it always catches you at the wrong moment.

Revs are conceptually built for sustain. But it doesn’t function right without group support, because they expend too much energy in bursting actions. If any change needs to be made, its the benefits of certain skills need to last longer so we aren’t constantly incentivized to keep spamming our big skills (and only our big skills) as much as possible.

in Revenant

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

I disagree. Both Mallyx, Jalis and Ventari have stat requirements so far away from what’s optimal for power Shiro+Glint than adding a third legend swap does nothing for the theoretical builds.

Condition cleansing is a relatively minor problem compared with the other problems the class has (0 access to reliable stability, no availability of a ranged condition weapon, easy to be poked to death by classes with access to stealth or high mobility because the huge cost of energy + the cooldowns makes us ultra weak vs “hit & run” tactics.

in Revenant

Posted by: Vena.4276

Vena.4276

I disagree. Both Mallyx, Jalis and Ventari have stat requirements so far away from what’s optimal for power Shiro+Glint than adding a third legend swap does nothing for the theoretical builds.

Condition cleansing is a relatively minor problem compared with the other problems the class has (0 access to reliable stability, no availability of a ranged condition weapon, easy to be poked to death by classes with access to stealth or high mobility because the huge cost of energy + the cooldowns makes us ultra weak vs “hit & run” tactics.

This.

Shabulu
Ferocious Arsenal of Resolve [FEAR]

in Revenant

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I thought it was a dumb idea but really if they segregated them from eachother hard enough it could be good.

Shiro, movement and speed
Mallyx, condi control
Dwarf, tanky stuff
Centuar, support

Glint, upkeep aoe buffs, no energy cost utility

in Revenant

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

I think giving each base legend its own F2 skill would be an easier bandaid fix.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer