Underwater Revenant is awful

in Revenant

Posted by: Scowny.1654

Scowny.1654

Just as the title says, its obvious that the effort for the Revenant underwater is non-existent. Why are Legends completely unusable underwater? I can get the difficulty’s of using Ventari underwater but Jalis and Glint? I imagine that the skills Inspiring Reinforcement for Jalis and Elemental Blast for Glint would be the reasons that these two legends are unusable since they are ground targeted but surely this could be worked on and slightly modified rather than just blatantly ignored.

It’s also bloody irritating that the Revenant only has Spear for underwater combat. I bet the reason being is that Revenant was originally planned to only being able to equip one weapon and after they changed this after feedback, it meant a new underwater weapon had to be designed. Or at least thats what should have happened. Instead, we got a second auto attack thrown onto the spear because that fixes the problem. We got a ranged condi auto attack and a melee damage auto-attack. Woo!

Now, my final complaint may just be me, but I feel like the DPS of the underwater weapon feels really low. Again, I don’t do anything like DPS tests or checks but just by looking at the numbers popping up and the time it takes to kill an enemy, it feels like the spear is really weak.

I understand that there are a lot of complaints about underwater combat and no new underwater combat came with HoT apart from some tiny sections and I doubt any new underwater environments are coming soon but that doesn’t make the current underwater combat sections non-existent. What about the underwater fractal? The various dungeons with underwater parts? Open world events such as Straits of Devestation and Frostgorge Sound? Underwater Revenant should be finished and not just left alone in its current state.

in Revenant

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

I felt that the spear melee attack is pretty decent DPS. It also has some nice sustain with all the leeches from the sheer number of hits.

That being said, underwater combat is a relic from ages past and may very well be deleted from the game, seeing how their support of it was lacking to being with and was only reduced in the last years. As such, Revenant was rushed as it is but since underwater combat is non-existant in 99% of the game, I don’t expect anything to be done in that regard (and stopped caring, personally).

in Revenant

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

We have underwater combat?!?!?!

in Revenant

Posted by: RazielTheUnborn.2189

RazielTheUnborn.2189

I felt that the spear melee attack is pretty decent DPS. It also has some nice sustain with all the leeches from the sheer number of hits.

That being said, underwater combat is a relic from ages past and may very well be deleted from the game, seeing how their support of it was lacking to being with and was only reduced in the last years. As such, Revenant was rushed as it is but since underwater combat is non-existant in 99% of the game, I don’t expect anything to be done in that regard (and stopped caring, personally).

Here is the thing, we have no clue what the future holds. I mean, we have an Elder Dragon utterly dedicated to the Sea. The opposite possibility is also true; ANet may very well be working on ways to revamp underwater combat to usher in the next expansion down the road dealing with the sixth dragon.

in Revenant

Sourde Noire.5286

Given how much players seem to like what little underwater combat there is (hint: not much), and how sluggish ANet is when it comes to revamps and such, I find it much more likely they’ll either avoid Bubbles as Elder Dragon to fight (I mean, there’s still Kralkatorrik and Jormag which are tied into the story already) or simply summon some kind of story deus ex machina akin to ‘we are now able to force Bubbles out of the water’ or ‘we managed to create a device that allows us to summon air domes underwater’, just so we can continue to do regular combat.

It still doesn’t change that UW combat in its current state is neglected and actively reduced by ANet (removal from PvP, WvW, no new BL skins or Legendaries for underwater). I really like the concept of it all, but as it stands, it may very well be removed from the game.

in Revenant

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

They could have extremely easily made all the legends sans Ventari work underwater. Make the AoE targeted spells hit the targeted enemy instead of being an aimble AoE ring. Or for Inspiring Reinforcement, just make it go straight forward where you’re facing (or straight toward the target, either way). Simple, and a method that’s been used on plenty of other skills in the game.

The fact that they didn’t just shows how little Anet cares about underwater combat.

I can only partially blame them, though. While developers should put effort and care into every part of the game, on the other hand most players don’t care about underwater at best and outright dislike it in many cases, so if it comes down to prioritizing where to put that effort, its clearly not going to go to the thing people are at best ambivalent to.

As far as the weapon goes… I don’t mind it. I mean, I do agree that the reason for only a single weapon is almost certainly the fact that Revenant initially had no weapon swap. But I actually think its a cool concept having a true dual-nature weapon, ranged and melee / condition and power in duality, and works pretty well. Heck, I actually hope they use the concept for other weapons in the future. I do agree it seems a little underpowered, but that’s nothing a few number tweaks can’t fix.

in Revenant

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

This fact is the only reason I switched to guardian and warrior over the revenant. I can’t believe how awful the revenant is underwater. The revenant by far has to be the worst under water.

in Revenant

Sourde Noire.5286

I find Guardian to be far worse, both weapons just suck and mostly useless utilities. At least Revenant can use Shiro.

in Revenant

Posted by: GenoGar.5497

GenoGar.5497

I still don’t understand why Glint can’t be used underwater. It only has 1 targeted ground ability that could easily be made a pbAoE or center targeted on an enemy. Mallyx has a targeted leap that has changed functionality underwater and yet an entire elite spec of their newest profession is scrapped because of 1 subskill of 1 skill.

I’m hating underwater Revenant because of how wishy-washy Anet is about underwater content. They seem to utterly hate underwater with their lack of support yet they continue to acknowledge that it’s still a thing like adding ascended breathers and adding it in one map in HoT.

in Revenant

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

Rev underwater is bad because it’s unfinished. It’s rushed. It’s something that didn’t came out in the betas. Just like the Mallyx changes, it was something that they slapped into the class in a hurry at the last second just to finish the expansion.

Pumpkin – Mag

(edited by Pumpkin.5169)

in Revenant

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I still don’t understand why Glint can’t be used underwater. It only has 1 targeted ground ability that could easily be made a pbAoE or center targeted on an enemy. Mallyx has a targeted leap that has changed functionality underwater and yet an entire elite spec of their newest profession is scrapped because of 1 subskill of 1 skill.

Virtually nothing from HoT works underwater, even when it really should (chronomancer wells, for example, which don’t work underwater even though necro wells do).

Revenants got enough to make them functional underwater only because there’s too much existing underwater content to ignore.

in Revenant

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Underwater in general has been all but abandoned. It’s a shame because no MMO so far has come even remotely close to how well GW2 does it, and “all” (I do understand it’s still a lot of work) it needs is:

• One balance pass over the weapon skills, fixing the worst outliers.
  • Making all GTAE skills work as PBAE skills while underwater, this can hopefully be done in a generic manner so that it’s a single fix for all skills.

There are a handful of edge cases after that (swim animations for summons, for example), but overall we got it after that.

And the underwater areas we do have are amazing in atmosphere, I wish we’d have more of them. Imagine a “sunken jungle” zone :o

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Revenant

Posted by: pepsis.5384

pepsis.5384

It sure is……….. We found 1 thing the rev sucks at

in Revenant

Posted by: Arthua.4389

Arthua.4389

One thing drive me crazy about rev is that I always have to refresh skills in dragon stance for ex. when I go into water for a sec after exit all skills for swiftness, might,fury is turned off, when I change stance and return to dragon game doesn’t remember previous state.