Ventari's Teachings: Act with wisdom

in Revenant

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

The other day I saw a fellow mate get wrecked by a mob spamming projectiles at him. He was quite a distance away from me and had only a sliver of health before making peace with Grenth, so I popped protective solace and moved the tablet over to him. He was dumbfounded when I did that. He couldn’t get over the fact that he’s never been helped like that before and it got me thinking. In the year or so this profession has been out, I too can’t recall a single encounter where I’ve ever seen another Revenant use that skill. I’ve definitely seen them run around with a tablet, but even then I never see them use it, or just leave it behind in the heat of combat.

I know Ventari is not going to win you DPS awards, but its utility is undeniably effective for the right situation. As I main an engineer, I don’t have the comfort of such a barrier to protect me. I need to rely on skill and knowledge to survive (Ventari’s second tenet: Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes stronger roots). Nevertheless, there are some events that benefit highly from protective solace (ex: Stavemaster Adryn in Dragon’s Stand, Pyroclastic Jade in Ember’s Bay, Tequatl’s Dragon Barrage). So why not lend a helping hand?

in Revenant

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

This is how I tend to play on Engineer and Druid so I would agree with the sentiment. The problem for me isn’t ventari’s lack of DPS but rather the horrific clunkiness of using the tablet. The energy costs are quite high, the effectiveness of the heals is low and there are too many steps to activation and the cast time is too long.

I find that my personal survival using Shiro tends to be superior to Ventari and as such can help people better by being alive to res, agro or cut down enemies faster so they don’t have opportunity to threaten other players. In short, bubbling the occasional random player is fun, but it’s more effective to annihilate their enemy in most situations. Which is a shame because I would prefer to play the way you are advocating.

I haven’t really thought about it til now but the fact that playing Shiro tends to provides better, more efective and easier to use survival than Ventari, is just bizarre.

(edited by wolfyrik.2017)

in Revenant

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

This is how I tend to play on Engineer and Druid so I would agree with the sentiment. The problem for me isn’t ventari’s lack of DPS but rather the horrific clunkiness of using the tablet. The energy costs are quite high, the effectiveness of the heals is low and there are too many steps to activation and the cast time is too long.

I find that my personal survival using Shiro tends to be superior to Ventari and as such can help people better by being alive to res, agro or cut down enemies faster so they don’t have opportunity to threaten other players. In short, bubbling the occasional random player is fun, but it’s more effective to annihilate their enemy in most situations. Which is a shame because I would prefer to play the way you are advocating.

I haven’t really thought about it til now but the fact that playing Shiro tends to provides better, more efective and easier to use survival than Ventari, is just bizarre.

I disagree with the whole tablet is clunky thing. What makes Ventari a drag for me is the lack of a stun breaker within Ventari’s kit.

in Revenant

Posted by: narcx.3570

narcx.3570

I once wiped my entire party with tablet while trying to projectile block cheese everyone’s way up the laser-death-staircase in Uncategorized Fractal… Haven’t much touched it since then.

in Revenant

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

I disagree with the whole tablet is clunky thing. What makes Ventari a drag for me is the lack of a stun breaker within Ventari’s kit.

I forgot to make a point of the lack of stun breaker, good point! You don’t find it clunky to switch legends, then have to use a skill to get access to the utilities instead of them being immediately available? or having use two skills to get the effect of one at a specific location? The tablet is an interesting idea but the fact that it has inescapable lag due to cast, travel time and additional button presses where most skills require only the one activation can surely only be described as clunky?

It’d be like an engi swapping a kit, then having to press another button to gain access to the kit skills before finally pressing the key for the skill they need. No one would put up with that.

in Revenant

Jack Skywalker.5674

I forgot to make a point of the lack of stun breaker, good point! You don’t find it clunky to switch legends, then have to use a skill to get access to the utilities instead of them being immediately available? or having use two skills to get the effect of one at a specific location? The tablet is an interesting idea but the fact that it has inescapable lag due to cast, travel time and additional button presses where most skills require only the one activation can surely only be described as clunky?

It’d be like an engi swapping a kit, then having to press another button to gain access to the kit skills before finally pressing the key for the skill they need. No one would put up with that.

Annoying yes,but not clunky. Personaly I wish they made Togo the support legend and give it 4 more weapon kits besides Ventari to cast. But as it is Ventari activation is a minor annoyance due to the fact that there is little reward in going through that whole process.

The whole time travel thing….I don’t want to touch that sort of bs after work …. so let’s leave it as a “variable annoyance” (there are days when it’s a huge annoyance and there are day when it ain’t)

in Revenant

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Annoying yes,but not clunky. Personaly I wish they made Togo the support legend and give it 4 more weapon kits besides Ventari to cast. But as it is Ventari activation is a minor annoyance due to the fact that there is little reward in going through that whole process.

The whole time travel thing….I don’t want to touch that sort of bs after work …. so let’s leave it as a “variable annoyance” (there are days when it’s a huge annoyance and there are day when it ain’t)

Just last week I was thinking of the next legend, and what I think would be cool. And it was Togo! Wouldn’t that rock?! We might get a full on ritualist playstyle with item and weapon spells.
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Item_spell
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Weapon_spell
That would totally rock!

To anyone out there who is thinking “but togo isn’t legend worthy”, you can go fly a kite! lol

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

in Revenant

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

few week a go i did a 4v4 as a tablet healer they achive 0 dmg to my allies for a 3 minute fight in WvW was kinda silly xD.

in Revenant

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

few week a go i did a 4v4 as a tablet healer they achive 0 dmg to my allies for a 3 minute fight in WvW was kinda silly xD.

Yesterday I was goofing around in ember bay and decided to play a ventari build for a change of pace. This was my reaction to how effective it was.
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Old-Spice-Guy-Head-Nod.gif
So now I have to legend swap between zones cuz I now know what I’ve been missing out on. That’s just great. lol

(edited by Redfeather.6401)

in Revenant

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

i love tablet i may not be perfect but it probably most fun healing class in gw2 xD

in Revenant

Posted by: Chorazin.4107

Chorazin.4107

Ventari’s teachings act with wisdom. First step to wisdom is clicking on your legend selection and removing Ventari and replacing it with Herald, Shiro or Malyx.

Done, wisdom complete.

Chorazin
[lion]~ riperonis
[tRex]

in Revenant

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

In the year or so this profession has been out, I too can’t recall a single encounter where I’ve ever seen another Revenant use that skill. I’ve definitely seen them run around with a tablet, but even then I never see them use it, or just leave it behind in the heat of combat.

I think people used protective solace against Sloth when wing 2 got released but it turned out that Mallyx was a better option against the shake attack while other profession bring reflections instead of negation.

in Revenant

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I think the bigger problem is how Glint is more or less the automatic choice for second legend.

If I could viably have a DPS spec and just bring Ventari as my secondary, I’d love to go wild with spot-support at times. Maybe with Resonance (apparently) getting the door I might revisit that idea :S

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Revenant

Jack Skywalker.5674

I think the bigger problem is how Glint is more or less the automatic choice for second legend.

If I could viably have a DPS spec and just bring Ventari as my secondary, I’d love to go wild with spot-support at times. Maybe with Resonance (apparently) getting the door I might revisit that idea :S

I think you may have meant Shiro,but ok.

In the year or so this profession has been out, I too can’t recall a single encounter where I’ve ever seen another Revenant use that skill. I’ve definitely seen them run around with a tablet, but even then I never see them use it, or just leave it behind in the heat of combat.

I think people used protective solace against Sloth when wing 2 got released but it turned out that Mallyx was a better option against the shake attack while other profession bring reflections instead of negation.

Doesn’t that mean that Malyx/Ventari is actualy good for wing 2 because it can deal with Slot mechanics and make room for a newb dps within a raid?

(edited by Jack Skywalker.5674)