heal on shield isnt that high and forced on place while heal/block

It’s only useful it if you have more than 700 HPower

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

WHY; shield over sword offhand?! ....

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Bc they forgot about existence of sword offhand.. not that it matters much, both are terrible now so who care..

Also from style point shield>sword oh as this game lack animations for dual wielding. I mean whats the point of dual wield when you dont make use of your offhand weapon lmfao.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Historically speaking, offhand weapons were usually used primarily defensively by people for whom shields were impractical or unavailable, with the potential for an opportunistic strike if the opponent leaves themselves open.

Most people don’t have the coordination to attack effectively with two hands at one. Even ambidextrous people are more likely to alternate which is offensive and which is defensive than try to attack with both simultaneously.

I suspect Arenanet’s animations are more born out of laziness than historical reflection – although the fact that offhand swords do tend to be defensive in nature (mesmer sword 4, revenant sword 4, and warrior sword 5 are all blocks) may be indicative that historical usage is something they’ve kept in mind.

(Looking at the skills, it seems to me like it’s warriors, thieves, and maybe rangers that are considered to be ambidextrous.)

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

Well reality is completely different thing. I am in game however and i want to swing 2 swords at once. You dont have asura and charr in rl right?

Anet kittened up bc they made sword/sword etc as separate option. They could easily fix it by adding new “dualsword” kind of stuff. Thats generally why i prefer 2h weps (gs) over dualwield in gw. It just seems wrong to me that most of the time i do not use my second hand. Even in faction trailer you see Shiro using both swords at once..

in Revenant

Posted by: Bambu.4270

Bambu.4270

Because shield looks nicer and skill 5 is a nice panic button.

That’s progress. Hooray for progress!

in Revenant

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Minor heal helps and Shield #5 fits better in cooldown rotation.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Revenant

Posted by: Fenris Amarok.4052

Fenris Amarok.4052

Well reality is completely different thing. I am in game however and i want to swing 2 swords at once. You dont have asura and charr in rl right?

Anet kittened up bc they made sword/sword etc as separate option. They could easily fix it by adding new “dualsword” kind of stuff. Thats generally why i prefer 2h weps (gs) over dualwield in gw. It just seems wrong to me that most of the time i do not use my second hand. Even in faction trailer you see Shiro using both swords at once..

To do that they would have to rework all sword auto attacks specifically for when you’re dual wielding swords/melee weapons. So that’s not an easy fix. Like someone else pointed out. According to history, it’s fairly accurate. Even having two full length swords is realistically implausible. If we’re going by anime logic, maybe, but that is NOT an easy fix.

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

To do that they would have to rework all sword auto attacks specifically for when you’re dual wielding swords/melee weapons. So that’s not an easy fix. Like someone else pointed out. According to history, it’s fairly accurate. Even having two full length swords is realistically implausible. If we’re going by anime logic, maybe, but that is NOT an easy fix.

In theory its easy fix. Separate dualwielding into a new weapon type anddddddddddddddddddddddd… here is the hard part – make animations to them. For that reason it wont happen so i have to w8 for gs elite spec.

I doubt they made it the way it is now due to history btw.

in Revenant

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

they really should have kept offhand dagger instead of offhand sword…

offhand sword just looks ugly to me..

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

This.. dagger offhand was unique in heavy and the idea behind parrying dagger is neat as well (i love sword/dagger in dark souls). Hopefully they release one day dagger looking skin for sword.

in Revenant

draxynnic.3719

I doubt they made it the way it is now due to history btw.

It’s easy to point at frugal use of animation resources and a weapon system that animates each weapon individually instead of in pairs (with some exceptions, such as Dual Strike and some thief dual skills), at least some of ArenaNet’s people do have the geek cred that they may be aware of historical usage. At least some of the blocks look at least reminiscent of historical defensive stances.

Mind you, some most definitely do not (rule 1 of blocking with a sword, mace or similar weapon: don’t expose your hand), so the good ones could just be a fluke.

At the bottom line, though, if anyone in GW’s history was able to legitimately fight effectively with two weapons at once, it would be Shiro. If the engine could handle it, one method could be to make one of the autoattack animations use the Dual Strike animation (it’s a bad attack from a martial arts perspective, but Rule of Cool) if you’re not using a shield in the off hand. Or find an offhand attack animation that works with shields as well as swords and axes. Shield bashes were a thing, after all – often with the edge rather than the front, so an overarm strike might well work.

I wouldn’t consider it high priority myself, but if an animator is bored sometime, I could see it happening.

in Revenant

draxynnic.3719

This.. dagger offhand was unique in heavy and the idea behind parrying dagger is neat as well (i love sword/dagger in dark souls). Hopefully they release one day dagger looking skin for sword.

There are a couple that have blades not much longer than some of the daggers, although they tend not to have convincing hilts. The best options might be the Lionguard sword, Shark’s Tooth (a little silly, but if you imagine the teeth are magically reinforced, it would probably make a decent bladecatcher), the various wooden swords if you don’t mind it being wood, Winter’s Slice with the same caveat, or possibly even Twin Sisters/Talons.

in Revenant

Burtnik.5218

None of current skins fit as “dagger” imo. They should have left it as dagger offhand.
But its okay..gimme gs.

in Revenant

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Or both, considering how few weapons rev has. A lot of the new skills they made copy paste animation and just have new particle effects anyways. I’d like a dagger main hand more tho.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kastiel.1947

Kastiel.1947

I run an off-hand sword and it’s great , my favourite option for off hand deffinetly. It’s sorta mid way between offensive axe and overly defensive shield. The walking block is absolutely great, the immobilise doesn’t feel too rewarding but I’ve had times where it came in handy and the 5 is actually amazing – great for interrupts and stopping rezzes, pretty good at breakbars, can be used for relocating , singling out enemies , pulling the bomb on Tarir south – and it’s really not hard to get a hit with it as ppl paint it to be, just have to make sure you are in melee. PT + 5, followed by a UA is a pretty good combo (switch legends if low on energy).
And as for dagger off-hand , kitten that ! Dual wielding swords looks way more bad-kitten than having a little toothpick in your left hand – just imho

in Revenant

draxynnic.3719

No reason they can’t have both in the long run. :P