What one thing that Rev should excel at?

in Revenant

Posted by: Stormbolt.7293

Stormbolt.7293

Even though every class is designed to be reasonably autonomous, every one excels at something above all others. So far, we have

Warriors: Single target DPS
Guardians: Durability and survival
Thief: Agility, picking off isolated targets
Ranger: Long range attacks
Engineer: Area control
Necromancer: Debuffs
Mesmer: Misdirection, CC
Elementalist: AoE DPS

Revenant has access to a lot of different tools, but so far I can’t think of something that it alone excels at. Every class needs something like this in order to feel unique and interesting to play. Is there something about the class I’m missing so far? What should Rev’s “thing” be?

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Revenant’s are the best Healers/Support in the game.

in Revenant

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Actually, that’d be an Elementalist.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Revenant

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Revenants got the best…stunbreakers

in Revenant

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Revenants got the best…stunbreakers

I assume you are joking.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

in Revenant

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Here, I fixed your list:

Warriors: Cleave DPS, Melee Combat, Durability
Guardians: Team Support OR Melee Cleave DPS
Thief: mobility, 1v1s, picking off weakened targets
Ranger: Skirmishing, 1v1s and smaller fights (ideally team support but spirit nerf)
Engineer: Focused CC, jack of all “offensive” trades, with some minor team support
Necromancer: Boon Corruption, Conditions, and Durability
Mesmer: Interrupts, Team Utility (ie portal/timewarp/mantras)
Elementalist: Team support and sustain, as well as good sustained AoE damage.

The revenant seems to be “best” in what each of its legends do. Ie mallyx is almost competitive with necro for boon and condi control, ventari should be, but isn’t quite, as team supporty as guard, and jalis should be as durable and resilient as a warrior. Its just that these things currently fall a tad short of their goals as of now.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Revenant

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

^ “A tad short” bit more than “a tad”

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

in Revenant

Posted by: Sojourner.4621

Sojourner.4621

Actually no I would have to agree with Knighthonor. If you trait it correctly with staff and ventari, you can dish out a very very large quantity of group healing. The problem, of course, being that you can’t do this while having any kind of damage at all. Elementalist still has the option of dealing some solid condition damage while in that support role.

in Revenant

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

revenant is best at trolling in pve, making champs tping everywhere while blobs chasing it desperately just to dps.

in Revenant

Posted by: Dibaryon.7469

Dibaryon.7469

The Revenant’s uniqueness should focus on being a class without condition cleansing (or with minimal condition cleansing). Using resistance to its favor, transfering conditions, sustaining with conditions/increasing damage output while being affected by conditions.

All of the mechanics are already there, it just needs more polishing.

I’ve noticed in the beta, and especially on the original trailer, that the revenant has some sort of shadowstepping abilities. This could be one of the revenant’s main mechanics (using mists power/animations).

It could fill a gap like this:

Mesmer (light): deceives and confuses (main theme); deceives by using clones/phantams and stealthing
Thief(medium): ninja-ish + ability stealing + bursty (main theme); stealthing and shadowstepping
Revenant(heavy): invokes legends from the past (main theme), stealth-ish skills, shadowstepping/teleports (like the axe skill) and condition managing

(I know engineer and ranger have stealth abilities, but it’s not part of their core mechanics)

*GANDARA *
Flipping your camps since 2014 :3

(edited by Dibaryon.7469)

in Revenant

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Pre-Revenant, yes. Post-Revenant, Elementalists get to put up some fields and then go back to the corner of shame. Let the real healers do the work. :P

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Revenant

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I think team support may well be it.

Other professions can certainly do it well, but plonking a tablet over your allies allows for a lot of support, including the longest duration projectile blocker in the game. Other legends we’ve seen so far have support-ish elements as well: Mallyx can draw conditions and push enemies away from a vulnerable ally, for example, while Jalis can grant stability (and the Rite is also supposed to be team support, although at the moment I’m not sure it’s useful due to the low uptime/cast time ratio). When you look at weapons: hammer can drop three blast finishers in sixteen seconds and have 50% uptime of a projectile blocker that is also a dark field, mace can create a fire field every three seconds and self-blast every eight seconds, and staff has generous party healing and condition removal.

Elementalist and guardian are both fairly good at these roles by current standards, but I think the revenant is going to come out ahead.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Revenant

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Revenants are the best at being unfinished.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

in Revenant

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

It needs to be overpowered.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Revenant

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

The legends really limit the type of builds you can make. You either tank or your go condi. If you ask me one of the legend should be about attack, the other defense, while the specilization should do condis.

I see some potential for it to heal in pve and maybe tank on point in pvp. I don’t see revenant being used over a guardian in wvw. You have 1 weapon at a time that is either a power or condi weapon while 1 of your legends is condi.

As far as I can tell they are far from being finished or providing any time of role in a team.

Bad Elementalist

in Revenant

Posted by: jacksparrow.7921

jacksparrow.7921

Le me doge first then i will bring the “tablet” to heal u. Take the revnant and go dps heal in any dungeons and u will see the difference from paper and the real deal. ( sitting in LA proving u nothing) and then u feedback here .He excel at nothing in the current state .. only the animations look very nice.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

Revenant can be okay support, but don’t forget at expense of all dps and its support offers 0 boons. Simply a little meh healing support.

I would say revenant is best class at boon stripping at this point of time. That’s all its good for…. yep banish enchantment spam ftw.

At least until it gets some tweaks to numbers so it can actually deal decent dps. I feel like im running an uplvl that is still using its starter weapon at lvl 50. Talk about hitting with a wet noodle…