feel like im seeing less revs

in Revenant

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

in PVE atleast. from HoT until last week there was 2-3 revs in every frac I ran etc now I iusually dont even have one, but ive been seeing 2-4 berserkers per party

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

That’s to be expected (that there would be a decrease over time) because it was the brand new shiny thing and many were saying it was OP. Not everyone that plays it will find it to be their favorite, so they gradually switch back to an old main or try something else new.

in Revenant

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

Look at some raid revenant PoVs. I can link you 2 different runs in an instant, of 2 different revenants, using sword auto for 7 minutes straight, not a single other skill(except glint facets – not even activating elemental blast) and outputting around 17k dps when target is over 50%, then having around 23k when it gets under 50%. For a class averaging 20k dps from using auto attacks, you can see why so many, including me, rerolled. Don’t get me wrong, I love my revenant, I faceroll 99% of the content in HoT(I got a shield so I basically have facet+shield5 = 2 safety nets that make me unkillable) but its skillcap is very low(yes, even when SUPPORTING and dpsing it’s easy as hell, stop trying to justify reve as being hard to play- you know who you are)and the huge downside is that it’s boring as hell when it comes to long fights.

TL;DR even if reve is OP as hell, no good player wants to play a class that only auto-attacks any target from 100-0.

in Revenant

Posted by: Iohanna.4863

Iohanna.4863

no good player most players don’t wants to play a class that only auto-attacks any target from 100-0

A simple easy-to-play class does not imply bad players. Maybe lazy players.

in Revenant

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

Coming from a Sword/Dagger Thief where Auto Attack was most of my DPS, Revenant is a natural transition for me. I actually did my first Vale Guardian kill today and while despite most of my skill usage was mashing 1, there was a lot of micro management for me in making sure I could use my Chaotic Release, Staff 5, and Jade Winds for break bars while also getting off some clutch rezzes with Impossible Odds+Infused Light and popping my Glint heal to be able to soak up damage while rezzing in aoe fields.

I honestly didn’t find Revenant much different from my Fractal Thief running Sword/Pistol and spamming 3 or my Warrior hitting Hundred blades and Arcing Slice when they’re off cool down then spamming 1.

in Revenant

Raizen.7981

Thief can play venomshare or DD, warrior is awesome as condi. Those classes have a choice at an alternate harder/more rewarding spec. You as a reve either tank or play glint+ shiro/mallyx.

in Revenant

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

People are tired of smashing 1 and almost never swap. WE NEED GS!!!

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in Revenant

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

Coming from a Sword/Dagger Thief where Auto Attack was most of my DPS, Revenant is a natural transition for me. I actually did my first Vale Guardian kill today and while despite most of my skill usage was mashing 1, there was a lot of micro management for me in making sure I could use my Chaotic Release, Staff 5, and Jade Winds for break bars while also getting off some clutch rezzes with Impossible Odds+Infused Light and popping my Glint heal to be able to soak up damage while rezzing in aoe fields.

I honestly didn’t find Revenant much different from my Fractal Thief running Sword/Pistol and spamming 3 or my Warrior hitting Hundred blades and Arcing Slice when they’re off cool down then spamming 1.

People often assume that because our main source of damage is our attack, that the class is boring. Truth is while we don’t actively use our weapon skills, our utilities management is very important, keeping up as many boons as we can, while keeping up nature facet for the chrono. Being able to use jade wind, staff 5 or even keep protection up. Most Herald I see play barely use the class potential.

in Revenant

Posted by: Acratin.3910

Acratin.3910

I admittedly wonder how people determine that they have a certain level of DPS at any given time. Personally, I do use my weapon skills as well, though it depends on the situation. Sword 3 is risky at times, but can be used as an extra dodge, or also just to boost DPS if you aren’t in a group stacking you with 25 might. I’ve also been known to use sword 2 and axe 4/5 to help break down a champion. With the one GM trait on Shiro’s line, you’ll see single hits take out -half- of those defiance bars. Those weapon skills definitely have purpose. Revenant absolutely shines at stunning champions.

Then the facets. I see people not using them well at all. Darkness is a mixed bag. It’s mostly good for CC, but every now and then that can be handy. Might and Elements are great for thinning out a crowd. Pop Darkness, Might, then Elements in that order to take out most crowds of junk. If they’re still alive and you need breathing room, use the elite. While all those are on cooldown, swap to your other legend and burst those skills.

People just sit on facets. You don’t need to. I still almost never run out of the buffs, and yet I do so much more than spam 1. It’s a lot more fun, too.

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

I love my Revenant. In fact, despite all the flaws and things that are broken, I’ve had more fun playing this profession than any other in an MMO that isn’t named City of Heroes. And I do a heck of a lot more than press 1 all day and long fights are never boring to me.

You know what’s boring? Pressing the same stupid sequence of keys over and over again. You know what else is boring? Spamming powers on cooldown. If that’s what people want, go play an engineer. Or an Ele. Or a Mesmer.

Pop Darkness, Might, then Elements in that order to take out most crowds of junk. If they’re still alive and you need breathing room, use the elite. While all those are on cooldown, swap to your other legend and burst those skills.

I wouldn’t use Darkness to start a fight, since it is a stun break. Burst of Strength is great when running solo against tougher opponents or groups, but not really needed in groups. As you said, I like to use it right before Elemental Blast.

(edited by Misguided.5139)

in Revenant

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

You know what else is boring? Spamming powers on cooldown. If that’s what people want, go play an engineer. Or an Ele. Or a Mesmer.

Care to explain this one? I play both Engineer and Mesmer, and they’re some of the most complex (read: NOT boring) classes in the game. “Spamming powers on cooldown” doesn’t make much sense to me, seeing how every class but thief rotates their skills based on cooldowns, including Rev.

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

You know what else is boring? Spamming powers on cooldown. If that’s what people want, go play an engineer. Or an Ele. Or a Mesmer.

Care to explain this one? I play both Engineer and Mesmer, and they’re some of the most complex (read: NOT boring) classes in the game. “Spamming powers on cooldown” doesn’t make much sense to me, seeing how every class but thief rotates their skills based on cooldowns, including Rev.

You cut off the bit that was aimed more directly at engineer, referencing the long rotations. For me, complex doesn’t make a profession interesting. If complex makes it interesting for you, then that’s awesome (no sarcasm, I truly mean that).

But to answer your question, what I love most about Revenant is that while yes, there are cooldowns, getting solid dps isn’t strictly dependent on hitting every power when it comes off cd. To me, that’s a positive, not a negative, because I can afford to be more selective when I use a power to get the most out of it. That is what makes the class far more interesting to me than anything else I have played.

I don’t expect that everyone will love it as much as I do. There are different professions that suit different play styles and different players, just as there should be. If Revenant isn’t to the liking of a particular player, they should play something else, not try to change it in to something we already have.

Sorry if I came off as feisty. Being told I’m a lousy player (not by you) because I choose to play the profession got my dander up.

(edited by Misguided.5139)

in Revenant

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

Sorry if I came off as feisty. Being told I’m a lousy player (not by you) because I choose to play the profession got my dander up.

Not at all! I was honestly just genuinely curious what you meant there, and now that you explained it a bit more it makes sense

That said, I feel Mesmer is pretty similar in that regard. Spamming wells can be rather straightforward, but I found that the more comfortable you are with the class, the more reactive you can be with your skills/shatters, as opposed to just following a rotation. Let’s me be reactive to the fight and that’s very rewarding for me.

Either way I’m glad you’re liking Rev. I really really want to like it, and I did at first, but I almost feel “forced” to play Herald because the boons are so good (and, frankly, perma-swiftness is amazing in open world). The problem there is that the “pop and let them sit there” style of facets bores me to tears haha

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Revenant

Posted by: Acratin.3910

Acratin.3910

Pop Darkness, Might, then Elements in that order to take out most crowds of junk. If they’re still alive and you need breathing room, use the elite. While all those are on cooldown, swap to your other legend and burst those skills.

I wouldn’t use Darkness to start a fight, since it is a stun break. Burst of Strength is great when running solo against tougher opponents or groups, but not really needed in groups. As you said, I like to use it right before Elemental Blast.

I feel like an idiot for never realizing that it was a stun break. Regardless, it’s also powerful CC. At some points that is useful!

in Revenant

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I admittedly wonder how people determine that they have a certain level of DPS at any given time.

The short answer is they don’t. unless they are using a DPS meter (which is pretty janky too) they are just guessing.

They see X hit or X tick and assume that’s their dps. Maybe they got that number, but without knowing how they maintain it over the course of the fight there’s no way to know.

Take every post you see with dps claims with a grain of salt. remember that the average forumer is a l33t gamer (read: a pretty stupid creature).

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

I went back to my war as well. It’s the lack of customization that makes revenant boring for me. If we had 5 or 6 utilities per legend to choose from it would improve things a little. Sword also needs to be redesigned imo, it relies too heavily on autoattack.

(edited by Kraljevo.2801)

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

Not at all! I was honestly just genuinely curious what you meant there, and now that you explained it a bit more it makes sense

That said, I feel Mesmer is pretty similar in that regard. Spamming wells can be rather straightforward, but I found that the more comfortable you are with the class, the more reactive you can be with your skills/shatters, as opposed to just following a rotation. Let’s me be reactive to the fight and that’s very rewarding for me.

Either way I’m glad you’re liking Rev. I really really want to like it, and I did at first, but I almost feel “forced” to play Herald because the boons are so good (and, frankly, perma-swiftness is amazing in open world). The problem there is that the “pop and let them sit there” style of facets bores me to tears haha

Agree on Herald. It’s an unfortunate side-effect of having been designed side-by-side with the base class, IMO. There are a number of the elites that many consider to be “must-haves” for better or worse. Herald and Chronomancer are probably at the top of that list.

I’ve said this in other threads, but for me Revenant is like a multi-tool. It has lots of neat toys to deal with a variety of things. I adore situational abilities and Rev is brimming with them. And while I get some people don’t like the emphasis on the AA, it is that kind of damage structure that allows shield to be a viable pick without gimping yourself offensively.

in Revenant

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

A lot of my friends and the occasional stranger has mentioned how they don’t want to micromanage their Energy (which is something I love about the profession). That can be one thing. Others may be tired of the numerous bugs the profession has (—I especially love how Staff should remove 2 Conditions, but it works like 1/15 times). Others may just have been leveling their Revenant, then gone back to their old mains instead of switching.

Personally, it was a easy choice for me to switch mains from Mesmer (Chronomancer) to Revenant (Herald). I love playing Guild Wars in Guild Wars 2. Energy, Upkeeps and Pips. It’s also a fun profession to bunker with in PvP, and there I sure use a whole lot of skills, I dare say every single one (Glint/Mallyx).

While a brunt of my DPS in Raids are from Sword auto-attacks and Impossible Odds, I do use a fair amount of other skills too. If I played it the no-brain way, I would not play the profession to its potential. E.g., you should use UA at times, if you want to maximize, especially on Gorseval. Maybe people just can’t see all the things you can actually do, and get stuck in some rut idea of it being all about auto-attacking. Very few professions comes close to the amount of Breakbar damage the Staff can do as well.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

in Revenant

Azure.8670

Look at some raid revenant PoVs. I can link you 2 different runs in an instant, of 2 different revenants, using sword auto for 7 minutes straight, not a single other skill(except glint facets – not even activating elemental blast) and outputting around 17k dps when target is over 50%, then having around 23k when it gets under 50%. For a class averaging 20k dps from using auto attacks, you can see why so many, including me, rerolled. Don’t get me wrong, I love my revenant, I faceroll 99% of the content in HoT(I got a shield so I basically have facet+shield5 = 2 safety nets that make me unkillable) but its skillcap is very low(yes, even when SUPPORTING and dpsing it’s easy as hell, stop trying to justify reve as being hard to play- you know who you are)and the huge downside is that it’s boring as hell when it comes to long fights.

TL;DR even if reve is OP as hell, no good player wants to play a class that only auto-attacks any target from 100-0.

im… going to have to agree with this. I love rev, and I actually switched from warrior to rev (former ele mes main, but somehow fell in love with warrior early this year dont ask) but after launch – last week of nothing but rev and some reaper, I decided to give berserker another shot and im loving it. Nothing against rev, but I am finding it super boring

in Revenant

Azure.8670

I admittedly wonder how people determine that they have a certain level of DPS at any given time.

The short answer is they don’t. unless they are using a DPS meter (which is pretty janky too) they are just guessing.

They see X hit or X tick and assume that’s their dps. Maybe they got that number, but without knowing how they maintain it over the course of the fight there’s no way to know.

Take every post you see with dps claims with a grain of salt. remember that the average forumer is a l33t gamer (read: a pretty stupid creature).

going to strongly disagree here. There are actually people on these forums, specific people, who have been playing since launch with myself, that sit and crunch these numbers with precision

in Revenant

Raizen.7981

Everytime I see people trying to defend revenant “is more than 1 button” I get cancer. In any instanced group content, you either have to turn on fury and nature, or maybe might and nature, maybe protection, while keeping your elemental blast on cooldown. That’s mashing 1, pressing element facet twice, and every 10-20s changing stance, pressing 2 more skills(either nature+some other facet, or daggers+ impossible odds). A rotation using 4 buttons(6 in ultra hard content like raids- loljk) isn’t hard, doesn’t make you good at all, and should stop make you feel like a good revenant.

Just because 1 player in 1000 that play reve isn’t kittened and can do his AT MOST medium-difficulty rotation right, doesn’t mean he is a good player. I managed the revenant rotation perfectly(both glint/shiro and glint/mallyx) in 10 mins reading Obal’s guide and 5 more mins on the dummy in the PvP area. It took me around 4 hours of reve game time to play the class at full potential in a raid. See you do that with an engi or chrono.

in Revenant

Posted by: Imperator totius Sylvari.9164

Imperator totius Sylvari.9164

Because rev is not as high in dps as a berserker, or quite a few classs for that matter of fact, Engineer, Ele more skill,? Warrior? in PvE. Kappa.We trolling in this thread?You can’t be serious, I haven’t seen anything hard in PvE. Honestly if you have gears and guides it won’t take any time to realize a classes potential in PvE

Founder of [CBA]/Former vE
No.2 Warrior NA/Irl behind Mr Kitten.7359

in Revenant

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

going to strongly disagree here. There are actually people on these forums, specific people, who have been playing since launch with myself, that sit and crunch these numbers with precision

Yes i agree that those people exist and we know who they are…. But they are vastly outnumbered by the people that theow out numbers like candy to defend their favourite class. These people also never provide anything to back up their claims… Because they are guesstimations.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Revenant

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

There we going to be a lot of meta players who, after finishing up getting their mistward armor and letting the novelty of Herald wear off, will go try out other classes. It’s how things go. I’m the same, since I have Reaper, Chronomancer, Herald, and am working on the others as the spirit moves me. After Christmas, I bet we’ll have a small, temporary surge in Revenants as people get the expac as a present.

In team PvE and Dungeons, I do tend to run with Glint/Shiro quite often, or Mallyx if I think I’m going to have to boon strip or deal with condis, because I know it’s what is expected of me and I’m usually good about being a team player.

When I’m running solo, however, I like to run Ventari with staff, Hammer for ranged, and just add Glint buffs to a silly, but fun, tablet tank build with spammable AoE blinds, perma protect/regen in combat and a constant spray of enough little healing Power Pellets and Fragments that it’s both amusing to play and very difficult to die. Offense-wise, the staff isn’t impressive unless I’m using 5 and the Ventari elite to smash defiance bars, but it’s a FUN weapon to me, like the hammer, and I enjoy it.

(edited by Mercurias.1826)

in Revenant

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

When HoT was new, you’ll see a lot of Revs simply because it was different.

Players than actually start playing the class. Many stop long before Glint/Herald begins to be able to be used. Why is that important? Because the class feels lacking/clunky until it gets the perma-buffs and the F2 utility that makes it ‘feel’ unique.

Then you have the players that surpassed the Herald lock-out phase, realize other gaping holes/playstyle issues. Some of those issues are eluded to here, boring attack rotation (spam 1) with an occassional use of another ability (no other class feels like Rev in this manner), the class is also no where immune to rebalancing/nerfing (players foresee the unbalanced abilities and know whats coming – some of those abilities were the fun parts already nerfed – Glint heal and Shiro Phase Traversal), some players see that the class “is not done” and things like Mallyx (non-PvP) / Ventari aspects feel incomplete, and then there is the lack of consistent balance across multiple classes.

On one hand, Revs are the glass cannon/tank of original school GW2 but the game has evolved (both PvE and PvP) into a condition meta whereby Revs lack good tools to deal with these issues (beyond aforementioned rushed Mallyx line and it’s actually because of one adept trait – easily vulnerable to a nerf). On the other hand, other new HoT classes are shining examples (Scrapper, Chrono, DH, etc.) of well thought out and new (perhaps overpowered in hindsight) additions to classes.

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

It took me around 4 hours of reve game time to play the class at full potential in a raid. See you do that with an engi or chrono.

Who cares? No one is claiming that their enjoyment of the profession demonstrates how skilled they are (or that no skilled player could possibly enjoy the profession) except you.

If you find it boring, feel free to go play something else.

I’m having fun, which is all that matters to me.

in Revenant

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

It took me around 4 hours of reve game time to play the class at full potential in a raid. See you do that with an engi or chrono.

Who cares? No one is claiming that their enjoyment of the profession demonstrates how skilled they are (or that no skilled player could possibly enjoy the profession) except you.

Stella Truth Seeker

in Revenant

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

It’s great fun to me to play Rev but I think it’s fairly natural that once people get ‘done’ for a bit with their mains, they will start up the new class to check it out and then leave if they don’t like it. Provided you didn’t instamain it

in Revenant

Raizen.7981

I’m not contesting you having fun, I’m contesting people that claim revenant needs more than half a braincell to play well. This, after all, was the thread’s subject.

in Revenant

Misguided.5139

I’m not contesting you having fun, I’m contesting people that claim revenant needs more than half a braincell to play well. This, after all, was the thread’s subject.

No, no it wasn’t. Nothing in the thread title or OP said anything remotely of that nature.

in Revenant

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Thief can play venomshare or DD, warrior is awesome as condi. Those classes have a choice at an alternate harder/more rewarding spec. You as a reve either tank or play glint+ shiro/mallyx.

Funny enough that you list 2 possibilities for thief and warrior (assuming condi warrior opposed to power) as good variance but 3 possibilities for rev are not enough alternatives

Anyway yes, revenant rotations are really easy and straightforward, but that’s because the class plays reactionally and won’t just burst through CDs (like my off main Engineer, which is completely opposite in playstyle).
Sure you can have good dps while afking AAs, but you won’t be a good rev if you do not manage all other skills, support your party and have energy to shoot out eventual CCs.
In simple words, has a low skill floor, but high enough skill ceiling.

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

in Revenant

Raizen.7981

Funny enough that you list 2 possibilities for thief and warrior (assuming condi warrior opposed to power) as good variance but 3 possibilities for rev are not enough alternatives

Anyway yes, revenant rotations are really easy and straightforward, but that’s because the class plays reactionally and won’t just burst through CDs (like my off main Engineer, which is completely opposite in playstyle).
Sure you can have good dps while afking AAs, but you won’t be a good rev if you do not manage all other skills, support your party and have energy to shoot out eventual CCs.
In simple words, has a low skill floor, but high enough skill ceiling.

The only difference between those “3” specs is that you use different buttons to empower your auto attacks. Just because instead of using impossible odds you use the +10% stat from mallyx thingie for your auto attacks it really really really doesn’t make it any different in gameplay. I meant that thief and warrior had alternate [completely different specs] which are better or at least on the same level. Yes, revenant has them too, I sometimes play jalis for the [i don’t get damage muwahahah] thingie or ventari to have some heals, but they don’t really count in group content because other classes do it waaaay better, or because auto-attack herald is so huge over them, they’re not even worth taking into consideration.

When [probably never] Rev will have viable options including Ventari, Jalis, and I hope a good condi build in Mallyx, Rev will be played a lot more, because a class bringing so much diversity, while being good at everything it does, would be really really popular. So far, mash sword1 to win. That’s a no-no

in Revenant

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

Exactly. In raids I feel weird and blessed at the same time. I don’t need to do much work and this allow me to focus on boss mechanics, but on the other hand its so kitten boring, the whole cycling between the few skills I use.