funky idea: increase weapon skill cost

in Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Here is a funky idea i want to hear your thoughts on.

what if the weapon skills had their energy cost increased, but all cooldowns removed?

So it would be like having 12 utilities instead of 6.

Would that be an interesting play style?

in Revenant

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Then you would be playing as a thief, not a revenant.

in Revenant

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Scrap energy on the weapons and use cooldowns and keep energy associated with utilities.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Revenant

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Scrap energy on the weapons and use cooldowns and keep energy associated with utilities.

This would be my choice. Energy is already spread thin as it is, it doesn’t need to be made worse. This is more the route that needs to be taken.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Revenant

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

This would be my choice. Energy is already spread thin as it is, it doesn’t need to be made worse. This is more the route that needs to be taken.

Personally, I thought the energy was fine. The entire point is to manage it rather than spamming skills mindlessly.

in Revenant

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

I’d prefer weapon skills have no cooldown rather than no energy cost. Though if they did this they would probably need to reduce the energy cost of some utility skills.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

in Revenant

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Personally, I thought the energy was fine. The entire point is to manage it rather than spamming skills mindlessly.

It’s not about mindless. Right now, with a whole line using energy, you step on your feet far too easily (such as a swap -> forced engagement). You can blow 50 energy and kill your whole bar immediately. Would be like adding Initiative costs to all the tied utilities. It’d drive people nuts.

Perhaps, however if they just did 100 energy swaps instead of 50% is be fine with leaving it. As is, though, it just feels bad most times.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Revenant

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

Here is a funky idea i want to hear your thoughts on.

what if the weapon skills had their energy cost increased, but all cooldowns removed?

So it would be like having 12 utilities instead of 6.

Would that be an interesting play style?

Then I would get a group of Revenants together and have each of us cycle through the ranged, AoE knockdown from Hammer 5. With no cooldown there is absolutely nothing stopping a group from locking down all non-defiant enemies permanently.

in Revenant

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

This would result in an increase of the cooldowns which won’t be a good idea on a no-weapon-swap-class.

The energy costs on the weapons are OK IMO – the idea is that the utilities are pretty strong on a low CD but you have to decide what you want to do – keeping up mallyx elite or bursting out all your weapon skills … (just an example)

in Revenant

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

This would result in an increase of the cooldowns which won’t be a good idea on a no-weapon-swap-class.

The energy costs on the weapons are OK IMO – the idea is that the utilities are pretty strong on a low CD but you have to decide what you want to do – keeping up mallyx elite or bursting out all your weapon skills … (just an example)

I rather have utilities with cd at this point. Apply that system to thief and will be dead.
Energy cost on weapon needs to go, that or weapons cd. Theres no reason nor point to be limited by cd and energy at once.

obey me

in Revenant

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

I rather have utilities with cd at this point. Apply that system to thief and will be dead.
Energy cost on weapon needs to go, that or weapons cd. Theres no reason nor point to be limited by cd and energy at once.

if the weapon CD goes away the energy-cost would increase which would make utilities less usable.

i dont get where the problem is atm
the energy regenerates fast enough to spam your weapon skills on CD without problems. you just get energy problems when you use an upkeep-skill as it does an energy decrease over time – and thats exactly the point the energy system is used for. All other stuff worked pretty well (of course we can discuss some energycosts like 50 for a 1second taunt)

if the energy cost on weapons go away the cd must be increased which will lead to an endless 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 Period AND you will always run on max energy OR with a permanent upkeep skill (like the dwarf hammers for dps)

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

if the energy cost on weapons go away the cd must be increased which will lead to an endless 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 Period AND you will always run on max energy OR with a permanent upkeep skill (like the dwarf hammers for dps)

So whats the difference between current situation then? To gain energy for utility skills you already have to spam 1111111111111111. You wasnt unable to do much else cause that how much energy utility skills cost. Where your idea about permanent upkeep skills coming from as well? You act like its some viable tactic to press vengeance hammers and forget about rest of your utility skills when its not by any means. Beta showed that pretty well.

Current system is similiar to warrior/thief. Its similiar to adrenaline but instead of 1 skill being affected by it, your whole bar is. In case of thief the system is similiar as well except olny thief weapon skills are affected by initiative, even if a thief run out of initiative, he can still heal up, use his utilities (he can even recover some initiative with them), while revenant is completely defendless.Theres no reason to keep up energy cost energy for weapon skills. None.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/My-big-Revenant-Rework/page/2#post5279640

I have already covered everything whats wrong with revenant in current form.

obey me

in Revenant

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Theres no reason nor point to be limited by cd and energy at once.

Most skills in GW1 worked this way.

This created a balance between skills that had a high ratio of energy cost to cooldown, which could be used to burst (damage, healing, control, whatever), after which you would need to recharge. Skills with lower energy cost requirements to use on cooldown, on the other hand, can be used sustainably, but will still slow down your recovery between bursts, and you can be locked out of them if you drain yourself dry with a burst.

Skills 2-6 are the ‘sustainable’ skills, while 7-10 are the ‘burst’ skills. This is the system working as intended to bring back an energy management system similar to GW1.

Now, it’s possible that at present the results that revenants are getting aren’t worth it, and skills should be cheaper, more powerful, or both. But skills having both an energy and a cooldown is nothing new for the franchise, and the revenant is practically GW1 nostalgia made into a profession.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Revenant

skowcia.8257

So in short revenant is designed to be the worse and weaker profession in this game as this system wont work here. K legit

obey me