revenant background?

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

have i missed something or?
i cant seem to find any revenant background or lore or something that can tell me more about the class and the “people” that are/became revenants in the game

i know ritlock is the first of revenant and i understand how he got there but what about all the random norn, asuras and sylvari using the power of the mist to channel past legends?

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Lore-wise, he is the only one.

revenant background?

in Revenant

Vukorep.3081

So after some thinking and finishing the first hot story where Ritlock appears…

This is how Ritlock explains Revenant:
“I was in the mists, its full of heroes,legends and monsters and while i was there i learned how to use their power”

Soooo..have all other norn,charr,sylvari,human and asura revenant characters (players) died or traveled to the mist at one point and somehow managed to return from there “alive” with the knowledge of using the powers of heroes,legends and monsters?

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: Miserymachine.7512

Miserymachine.7512

I prefer the explanation of “I bought the expansion so now I can be a revenant.”

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

For anyone that played 999, my preferred explanation is morphic resonance. Once Rytlock became the first Revenant, others simply manifested the ability.

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

My personal explanation for it is that Revenants, pre-HoT, are just Ritualists who happened to be good with Swords and eventually learned to channel the spirit into their own body rather than externally. After HoT, Rytlock brought knowledge of how to use Glint and that’s why Revenants learned to channel Glint post-HoT. It’s kinda hard to fit into the lore but that seems like what Arenanet want’s people to see Revenants as before Rytlock returned.

revenant background?

in Revenant

Vukorep.3081

but thats the problem… If Rytlock HAD to go to the mists to meet the monsters,heroes and legends in order to learn how to harness their power then other revenants had to do the same…its not a spell that can be thought from 1 individual to another like they do in schools (nolani academy comes to mind)

And nobody even mentions “ritualists” pre hot.
Also Ritualists from cantha 250 years ago used a separate type of magic that looked like it had nothing to do with the magic everyone else was using at that time . As in (i think) they could channel spirits and use the ashes of their ancestors waaay before magic was even introduced to the races.

All in all, so far listening to the npcs talking about Rytlock all sounds bland… and dodgy.
Like, they ask rytlock directly how he became what he became and he avoids the question all the time. And when the npcs comment about it among them selfs its like :
“idk man, but it works, doesn’t rly matter right?”

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Rytlock captured an alien made of the Mists and now all prospective Revenants just siphon power from it. No wait – sorry – that’s Blood Elf Paladins in wow :P

I really wish they had expanded on this more. My guess is that it’s based on the old ritualist Magic (which was mist-based and separate from the other magic types). Personally I’m hoping Razah was involved somehow.

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Razah is not somebody who once lived and become a myst cresture. He born in the myst. :P
Btw our favourite furrytale revenant is a warrior after all. He didmt learn magic within a few weeks. The legends use Rytlock as much as he use them. He opened a portal and found an other to come back (i bet it will be the hall of heroes). Other ghosts came as well and now they search wessels. Shiro once escaped and become alive again. I sooo want to beat him again

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Canonically, I think hes currently the only Revenant, and hes certainly the only Herald. He’ll probably begin opening up about it in HoT Postgame/LS3, or whatever story continuation Anet decides to do.

In the lore post about Revenants that turned up a few months ago, it said anybody can learn the profession if they simply have an open mind and are willing to receive it, and you do not need to go to The Mists to learn the profession, so Rytlock will probably start teaching people, or he’ll simply release a load of information about it, and let people teach themselves.

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

It’s pretty obvious how everybody else learned it. The Mists could be considered the essence of the universe. Time, space, alternate realities, etc. We could assume there is a ‘center’ to said essence, which the souls of the dead dwell at. Rytlock tapped into that, essentially unlocking a ‘door’ on it. Since it is the essence of everything, it caused a ripple that started to effect every reality, and echo through time and space. People who are sensitive to the Mists are now able to use the power within, regardless of whom/where they are. What the negatives of this action are have yet to be shown or hinted to, sadly.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: Iohanna.4863

Iohanna.4863

The entire story mode is simply my ex-Thief meditating upon how her newly developed abilities could have been applied to past adventures.

Or, as a descendant of Shiro Tagachi – my Revenant always thought her Warrior/Mage powers were a result of her bloodline, and everyone else assumed so as well. The realization that Rytlock is drawing upon the same power sinks in very slowly, and she hesitates to share her realization with others.

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

u’r complaining about revenant’s background … but did we have background for any other classes ? XD

cause , for me, my character just learned how to “ele” at start and i have no background about it =p

revenant background?

in Revenant

Vukorep.3081

u’r complaining about revenant’s background … but did we have background for any other classes ? XD

cause , for me, my character just learned how to “ele” at start and i have no background about it =p

We actually do have background story to how humans and other sentient beings on tyria learned magic from the original guild wars. A example i mentioned before was the Nolani academy where they were teaching magic to students.

Even the “new” guild wars 2 professions such as guardians have SOME lore other than " we just slapped monks and paragons together and bam→guardians"

In fact, its not just sentient beings who learned magic. Grawl, elementals, jotun, gargoyles,imps and other creatures learned magic. I also think wooden potatoes saying (tho i’m not sure if this is true..) that because of how magic “works” in the world even a random bunny could learn how to cast meteor showers….

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: KiritoBR.9783

KiritoBR.9783

I became a Revenant and later a Herald because I spend most of my time in the Mist… like Fractals of the Mist and (WvWvW) the Mist War =X that is like i happened to learn to channel its power MWAHAHAHAHAHA

revenant background?

in Revenant

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

We actually do have background story to how humans and other sentient beings on tyria learned magic from the original guild wars. A example i mentioned before was the Nolani academy where they were teaching magic to students.

Even the “new” guild wars 2 professions such as guardians have SOME lore other than " we just slapped monks and paragons together and bam->guardians"

In fact, its not just sentient beings who learned magic. Grawl, elementals, jotun, gargoyles,imps and other creatures learned magic. I also think wooden potatoes saying (tho i’m not sure if this is true..) that because of how magic “works” in the world even a random bunny could learn how to cast meteor showers….

And revenants learned magic from the mist … yeah o/ (your argument is no more than that)