11 Major traits. 3 minor traits.

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

1 heal, 3 utilities, 1 weaponskill, and 1 weaponset combo (technically 3, but 2 of them are fairly rare, so we’ll exclude them for now). That’s what 30 seconds of revealed effectively renders nearly or completely useless (HiS isn’t “nearly useless” since it still heals, though it is severely UP without the stealth). Also of course, stealth attacks.

I don’t even WvW; kitten, I don’t even run a stealth build anymore – this is just a really, really poor precedent to set. I’m not interested in traps that deny stealth for 30s, or renders protection/regen/stability null and keep the target from gaining them for 30s, or locks adrenaline skills, or despawns a pet, or locks an attunement…

Don’t have effects that specifically target a class to the point where you almost completely nullify an entire traitline, numerous traits outside that line, utilities, weaponskills, and combos. It’s poor, lazy design that makes a playerbase lose confidence in you.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

For once, I have to agree that ANet did a really poor job with this.

Seriously? We all know that this “patch” was directed against thieves; we’re the only profession with enough stealth to make this trap worth using. 10 seconds, maybe I can understand. A pulsing reveal, perhaps. But a 30 second reveal that destroys a major class mechanic? Seriously? How desperate can you be?

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

(mandatory post that talks about how it was meant to target Veil bombs and misses the point entirely)

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: LovefulfillsAll.4870

LovefulfillsAll.4870

(mandatory post that talks about how it was meant to target Veil bombs and misses the point entirely)

These post are the real ignorance. The REAL point was stated quite well, it still disables the thief and an entire trait line.

Ignorant player will be ignorant, nothing you can do. This applies to game designers as well.

in Thief

Posted by: TheTaffer.8761

TheTaffer.8761

while that might be true it would be like hiring a pest control guy to get rid of a rat in your house and he burns your house down AND still wants paid for a job well done.

sure he got rid of the rat but he took out your house too.

if veil bombing was an issue do something to the skill

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

You can say that certain actions were meant for one thing all you want. It still doesn’t change that fact that it effectively crippled more than what was intended.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I should probably clarify that I agree with everything that has been said – my post was making a mockery of the people that say that, hence “misses the point entirely”.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: TheTaffer.8761

TheTaffer.8761

I should probably clarify that I agree with everything that has been said – my post was making a mockery of the people that say that, hence “misses the point entirely”.

oh… well then please consider what i said more of a larger/clearer explanation of why the stealth traps are an over-reaction from Anet.

rather then me trying to prove it to you.

in Thief

Posted by: ShadowLordX.5148

ShadowLordX.5148

I feel like this deserves repeating here. Everyone QQ’ing over this are overstating the case. Yes, it will suck if you get hit by it. But no, 99% of your fights will not involve this. And out of the one’s that do, it will either be painfully obvious they’re setting it and you can avoid it or kill them while they’re rooted for 4 seconds.

Or you simply disengage and outdistance them. You don’t need stealth for most disengages, really enemy thieves, and maybe warriors or rangers are the only ones who can catch us. And you shouldn’t need stealth to beat 99% of warriors(Seriously this matchup is almost painfully easy except versus VERY good warriors), and any ranger who is decent enough to catch you won’t have the damage to catch you and chase you down. The mirror is the only place to worry about this, and you can counter it the exact same way they do.

All Classes 80; Kylar, Verushk, Thorgar,
Valar, Lyala, Laya, Leyela, Cattee
Coldsnap [IX], Blackgate

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

most fights wont have this involved. but if thats the case its the case by choice. ok i have lots of karma (2million) and lots of badges(2k)…..why wouldnt i drop one after i shadow refuge in a roaming fight aginst antoher thief? tell me why iw ouldnt. i just roam anyway…not much i can do else as a thief :P i could go follow my zerg and blast finish on fire fields….yaaaaay thats fun. chance are you wont run into them all that often. but if roaming which is what we thieves do…… if it is dropped its an insta win button. thieves get to cut off the reinforcements on raid nites. .. all the reinforcements have to do is run with invulnerability and drop one if they get in trouble….no thief is going to try if they do. but back to the point…yes we wont run into them much….but when we do its an instant win button for opponent. do we ahve taht for anyone else?

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

I feel like this deserves repeating here. Everyone QQ’ing over this are overstating the case. Yes, it will suck if you get hit by it. But no, 99% of your fights will not involve this. And out of the one’s that do, it will either be painfully obvious they’re setting it and you can avoid it or kill them while they’re rooted for 4 seconds.

Or you simply disengage and outdistance them. You don’t need stealth for most disengages, really enemy thieves, and maybe warriors or rangers are the only ones who can catch us. And you shouldn’t need stealth to beat 99% of warriors(Seriously this matchup is almost painfully easy except versus VERY good warriors), and any ranger who is decent enough to catch you won’t have the damage to catch you and chase you down. The mirror is the only place to worry about this, and you can counter it the exact same way they do.

Like I said, I Don’t WvW – at all. I no longer run a stealth build, nor have any plans to return to it. This trap has absolutely no effect on my gameplay, and probably never will. It still worries me however that Anet put it into the game.

Regardless of the class and the ability, how would you like it if they introduced a trap that said “You know that trait line you have 30 points in? Every major and minor trait in there is useless for 30s. Plus maybe another trait or 2 outisde that line, your heal, one of your utilities, and one of your weaponskills. Also the thing we’re talking about is one of your primary defense mechanisms (the primary defense mechanism for SA thieves, a trait line commonly used)”

“Dont worry, you probably won’t see it much” doesn’t change the fact that Anet (in their sheer laziness or stupidity, I don’t know which) decided it would be a good idea to design a trap that so completely and transparently targets a single class and shuts it down for 30s.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

In most cases, this trap will be a non factor for roaming thieves because of the cost. But it doesn’t make it ok either. The random situations where it’ll proc will feel like that : random. Like the game decided to kill you for no good reason at all. Like if you stumbled onto a forgotten trap that wasn’t even put here by the player you were fighting.

And all that, I fail to see why the debuff has to be 30s long. I mean, if it was meant as an anti zerg stealth tool, why put such a huge revealed debuff on it? Wouldn’t 10s be more than enough?

The only situation where 30s revealed instead of 10s matters is when a Thief that had heavily invested in Shadow Arts gets hit by it.