30 seconds of revealed for 500 Karma. [merged]

in Thief

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

@sunflowers. lets pretend ur a ranger for a moment. you have 10supply+ stealth trap. you are alone and found a thief coming at you from afar starting invis. what would you do? try place trap? or pray you are better than the thief and fight to risk running aaaaaaaaaallll the way back if /when you die. if i were the ranger, i would personally use a quick invulnerability and drop a trap leaving 1 sec of free hitting. usually dodged. wasted a trap/10 supply but ur alive and theres a dead thief or running thief.

not just this scenario….but a thief can abuse it……….shadow refuge + set stealth trap wherever. nobody would know. amazing in thief v thief or thief v mes

If I am a Thief I will see that he is placing a trap and not fight him there. It’s like if someone runs to an supply camp I won’t fight him there either, because of all the guards.

i fight people in supply camps but depends on build. anyway point is. IF YOU FIGHT….its a loss tothe thief and a WIN for whever placed it…..if they DONT fight you…you still win by not dying / waiting for backup. either way its auto win / auto life. its a game changer.

point of the game is not to run in a 1 v 1 ……or in a 5 v 5. its to fight.

Are you serious? Think what happens if they use the trap:

Roamer uses 10 supply
Thief chooses not to fight at that area
Roamer wastes 10 supply.

How does anyone not see this?

Actually it’ll be a stalemate, while you’re all like “uh uh I ain’t goin over there”
They’ll be like “uh uh, I ain’t leavin here”
<.<
>.>

The place where I can go is everywhere but that little rectangle
The place where they can go is everywhere inside that little rectangle, not to mention they wasted 10 supply on it.

I doubt anyone will use it on roaming Thieves.

in Thief

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Scouts and gate tappers can just purposely trigger the traps anyways, wasting all that supply that could be used for offensive or defensive siege.

I think a more practical use of them would be as a counter to portal bombing or mass zerg stealthing via blast finishers or utilities. Might also have some applications in sweeping, but probably not.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

@sunflowers. lets pretend ur a ranger for a moment. you have 10supply+ stealth trap. you are alone and found a thief coming at you from afar starting invis. what would you do? try place trap? or pray you are better than the thief and fight to risk running aaaaaaaaaallll the way back if /when you die. if i were the ranger, i would personally use a quick invulnerability and drop a trap leaving 1 sec of free hitting. usually dodged. wasted a trap/10 supply but ur alive and theres a dead thief or running thief.

not just this scenario….but a thief can abuse it……….shadow refuge + set stealth trap wherever. nobody would know. amazing in thief v thief or thief v mes

If I am a Thief I will see that he is placing a trap and not fight him there. It’s like if someone runs to an supply camp I won’t fight him there either, because of all the guards.

i fight people in supply camps but depends on build. anyway point is. IF YOU FIGHT….its a loss tothe thief and a WIN for whever placed it…..if they DONT fight you…you still win by not dying / waiting for backup. either way its auto win / auto life. its a game changer.

point of the game is not to run in a 1 v 1 ……or in a 5 v 5. its to fight.

Are you serious? Think what happens if they use the trap:

Roamer uses 10 supply
Thief chooses not to fight at that area
Roamer wastes 10 supply.

How does anyone not see this?

Actually it’ll be a stalemate, while you’re all like “uh uh I ain’t goin over there”
They’ll be like “uh uh, I ain’t leavin here”
<.<
>.>

wasting that 10 supply at the VERY least just saved his butt.

saving it = a waste.

i did not know this.

in Thief

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

Is the trap placement interrupted if attacked? If it is then roamer thieves are more or less safe from this, if not if someone is really sick of fighting a roamer thief he can use this and just taunt the Thief (and if he can be interrupted he might use some sort of invulnerability while placing it). To be fair the cost of using it would be more than repairing one piece of armor, but it’s an option if they get sick of it.

My main problem with this is not that it damages survivality, it is that most thieves builds are oriented around the stealth skill (I hated the day they made them because I knew most thieves would be forced to play around them when they originally intended and stated for stealth to be very secondary). If a Thief is part of an assault affected by the trap, his build is completly damaged so he can’t add much to offense.

No matter if the original target was veiled zergs, this kills whole builds when a Thief is affected by one of those traps be it individually or as part of a group. Stealth isn’t something exclusive to Thieves, but the Thief is the only profession where offense isn’t optimized in a lot of builds if they can’t access stealth.

I think now it’s a good time to get rid of the stealth attack concept. It’s silly IMO, it would be like warriors getting extra skills for using Might, all players can be affected by stealth but Thieves are forced to use it to get use to some of their most powerful skills. I know that there are builds that don’t need it, but stealth skills are powerful enough to be the cornerstone of most of our efficent builds. If they get rid of them and rebalance all weapon sets to work without needing stealth I would be really happy given how the current system is producting nerf after nerf after nerf.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

Is the trap placement interrupted if attacked? If it is then roamer thieves are more or less safe from this, if not if someone is really sick of fighting a roamer thief he can use this and just taunt the Thief (and if he can be interrupted he might use some sort of invulnerability while placing it). To be fair the cost of using it would be more than repairing one piece of armor, but it’s an option if they get sick of it.

My main problem with this is not that it damages survivality, it is that most thieves builds are oriented around the stealth skill (I hated the day they made them because I knew most thieves would be forced to play around them when they originally intended and stated for stealth to be very secondary). If a Thief is part of an assault affected by the trap, his build is completly damaged so he can’t add much to offense.

No matter if the original target was veiled zergs, this kills whole builds when a Thief is affected by one of those traps be it individually or as part of a group. Stealth isn’t something exclusive to Thieves, but the Thief is the only profession where offense isn’t optimized in a lot of builds if they can’t access stealth.

I think now it’s a good time to get rid of the stealth attack concept. It’s silly IMO, it would be like warriors getting extra skills for using Might, all players can be affected by stealth but Thieves are forced to use it to get use to some of their most powerful skills. I know that there are builds that don’t need it, but stealth skills are powerful enough to be the cornerstone of most of our efficent builds. If they get rid of them and rebalance all weapon sets to work without needing stealth I would be really happy given how the current system is producting nerf after nerf after nerf.

dmg or attacking does NOT intterupt it.

in Thief

Posted by: Sunflowers.1729

Sunflowers.1729

also all u have to do to beat an arrow cart is get withing like 900 range :P they dont go very far. if u think it doesnt kill roaming…..then ur saying d/p or d/d or p/d dont need invis to play? where does dmg come from ? auto attack? HS wont help…ull never get em under half hp unless they are glassy. i chalenge you to a duel. ill place my trap against ur thief. i guaratee you wont win. under the given that ur not gearing up to go full 100% anti stealth. u will lose 99/ 100 times.

You are missing the point. It’s not that setting up a trap doesn’t counter roaming Thieves – obviously it does. It is that wasting 10 supply, karma, and badges just to counter one person is a waste, just like how setting up a ballista in the middle of an open field to counter roamers is a waste.

I know the trap makes it hard to fight if the Thief’s build depends on stealth. What I’m saying is that nobody is going to put it in random places because it costs too much and is awkward to set up. You will only see it outside of castles, which means that as long as the Thief doesn’t fight next to them (and with patrolling guards, I doubt anyone did that), it doesn’t affect roaming very much.

in Thief

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

I know this might be difficult to grasp but stealth is not a thief’s F# ability. It is not the thief’s equivalent to virtues, or adrenaline, or pet.

that sentence made no logical sense what-so-ever
there is no magic buttons in this game. Majority of escapes and cc are not related to the F buttons.
the rest of your little post carries no meaning

Wow are you that dense? What the hell are you talking about “magic button”? I’d say puff puff pass but that kitten you are on is killing some serious brain cells. Listen, if you didn’t know what I meant by “F#”, you could’ve just asked.

They (the person I quoted in the previous post) asked about traps that can restrict/nullify other profession’s F# abilities. F# means F1, F2, F3, etc. These are the game’s default key bind. A necro toggles in and out of shadow form with F1. A mesmer shatters using F1, F2, and F3. Virtues are like signets, where the ‘active effect’ is used by pressing F1, F2 and F3. Ranger’s pets are commanded and swapped using F1, F2, F3 and F4. Thieves’ F1’s primary function is to steal and then use the item stolen.

So the only thing that makes no logical sense, is requesting traps that severally limit and/or disable other profession’s F# abilities because a thief’s stealth (which is not their F# ability) can now be hard countered by a trap.

The thief F# ability is to 1 steal and 2, use/benefit the stolen item. When stealing from another thief, the stolen item will allow the user to stealth. The trap is a hard counter to this F#.

Good try though.

Oh wow, talk about a stretch on that one. Sorry but if you follow the example of locking the pet, then that is on par with locking out the ability to steal or use any stolen items. Preventing say, wolf’s fear, is more in line with preventing the thief from using a particular stolen item. I don’t even know how it would compare to the other professions. Maybe with warrior it would prevent the use of F1 on just one weapon which is a far cry from allowing them to gain adrenaline. Or, prevent the use of a single virtue for guardians but doesn’t block the passive. This is a far cry from “locking all the guardian virtues”.

But please, grasp at some more straws while you’re already at it.

I never said which one is right or wrong but from your post you’re implying that the new trap will not shut down thief’s F#. I was merely giving you an example of who it can indeed shut down the F#.

in Thief

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

Also, I used the trap vs another thief mid fight. I cast SF and started putting down the trap. kittened up the other thief pretty hard.

in Thief

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

After seeing a video with these kitten traps in action im not worried anymore. Four seconds deploy ? That’s a quick chain of cnd = ur dead while dropping it. Only issue will be thiefs vs thiefs carrying this. You can prep this inside your shadow refuge.. It’s gonna be very annoying man.. losing faith in this game

play hard , go pro.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

@ sir vincent. ill be carrying one everytime i roam…..its the “EASY WIN” button when i face a thief. i cant lose. lol.

You can’t lose? Have you looked and made sure you’re not standing on the other Thief’s trap?

lol?

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

A lot of peope is panicking for nothing.

You got 30 seconds revealed? Infiltrator’s arrow x2 -> shadowstep x1 -> /laugh at your enemy while being at 2000 range from him -> wait 30 seconds -> get your kill.

If you don’t get the kill.. well, he wasted 525 karma, 15 badges and 10 supplies for NOTHING.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

in Thief

Posted by: Ralathar.7236

Ralathar.7236

It is expensive and not spammable, any supply and badges spent on this is not siege. Thus this is only efficient for select situation.

Those situations, in my mind, are things like perma-stealth thieves attacking your trebs when you are sieging bay for example. If you leave them alone they will eventually kill the trebs, but the amount of people and time it will take to actually stop them will leave you at a severe disadvantage vs the enemy zerg.

Now if enemy thieves try to perma-camp a key location with perm-stealth there is finally a counter.

For highly mobile battles and situation where people could quite easily run over the trap and waste it this is simply not worth it at all and IMO it will not stop the veil ambush tactics at all.

Rashanala – 80 Elementalist
Ehmry Bay – Legion of the Iron Hawk [Hawk]

in Thief

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

A lot of peope is panicking for nothing.

You got 30 seconds revealed? Infiltrator’s arrow x2 -> shadowstep x1 -> /laugh at your enemy while being at 2000 range from him -> wait 30 seconds -> get your kill.

If you don’t get the kill.. well, he wasted 525 karma, 15 badges and 10 supplies for NOTHING.

2k range is not that far if otheres also uses mobilty example a midiate guardian with a gs gets 2400 range with 2 abiltys aktivated;) 1200 on gs leap(15 sec if i remember right) and 1200(60secs cd tho) and then comes the 600 on a 10 sec cooldown on sword. and guardians is one of the least mobiles unless they have a staff but then its just swiftness;)

tho i agree some thiefs gets very badly hurt for playing pure zerker gear but welcome in the club with the rest of the proffesions.

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in Thief

Posted by: Daeqar.8965

Daeqar.8965

How about a trap removing clones from mesmers, preventing warriors from gaining adrenline, disabled pet on ranger, and locking all the guardian virtues.

Yeah, this is pretty dumb. Why discriminate against such an important feature for a single class?

How about because the traps don’t stop your ability to steal. I know this might be difficult to grasp but stealth is not a thief’s F# ability. It is not the thief’s equivalent to virtues, or adrenaline, or pet.

Steal? Try to discuss with honesty, please.

The analogy is to a class’s central mechanic that allows them to function effectively. Correlation between default keybindings has nothing to do with it.