Ability to 'not use a minor trait'

in Thief

Posted by: Mufa.1326

Mufa.1326

Hello, can the developers please give us the ability to deselect certain minor trait and use nothing in its place?

There are certain minor traits that are extremely harmful for certain ways of playing the thief. For me it is the Last Refuge. I would say that this trait is the primary reason I die recently. (I can explain the mechanics if necessary)

I assume that this will eventually be fixed and such a trait will be eventually substituted in minor spot with something else that is universally ‘useful’ (or at least ‘non-harmful), while ’Last Refuge’ trait will be moved to be selectable as major trait. However, I assume this will take a long time (for developers to process how bad this thing can be and decide it is not appropriate to force it on people).

So it would be very useful to have ability to deselect such a trait so we are not actively harmed n the meantime (while all the developers decision making is going on).

Thanks….

Soko D Medo

in Thief

Posted by: Deathspike.1870

Deathspike.1870

You can deselect by selecting that ability on a different slot. Then swapping that out again..

Active: Mesmer, Warrior
Inactive: Guardian, Elementalist, Ranger, Thief (ex-main)
Leveling: Engineer, Necromancer

in Thief

Mufa.1326

You can do that with MAJOR but NOT with MINOR trait.

Soko D Medo

in Thief

Posted by: Aervius.2016

Aervius.2016

I’ve noticed that problem with Projectile-based weapons, but with a melee-centered build it works just fine.

Kolt – Human Thief
[NEX]
#swaguuma

in Thief

Mufa.1326

Last Refuge is a big big big issue for some builds but that should be discussed in other places.
This is purely a request for them to allow us to deselect minor trait and have nothing in its place. It is a good idea because it is general mitigation for future issues like this.
It may take them months to realize just how bad idea is to force ‘last refuge’ as a non-choice trait.

Soko D Medo

in Thief

Posted by: Marcus.2643

Marcus.2643

Could you explain the problem with the trait-build? Thanks o.o

in Thief

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

The problem is the stealth is completely outside your own control, and very often it will trigger while you’re in the middle of attacking and put Revealed on you, while you’re already about to die and need stealth most.
I thinkittenerally the only times I’ve had it actually work properly are when either the attack that triggered it also stunned me, or if I was attacked at a distance while trying to reach or flee from the enemy.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

in Thief

Posted by: Smashbag.3047

Smashbag.3047

I’m having the same difficulties. It feels like last refuge only wants to proc whilst I’m midway through a CnD.

in Thief

Posted by: Seth.4927

Seth.4927

Best part is when it activates and bam: Lupicus reset…

Roker
Tarnished Coast

in Thief

Mufa.1326

Marcus.2643: Could you explain the problem with the trait-build? Thanks o.o

Answer: It is simple, if you are mid-action (call it action_A) which puts you outside of stealth and ‘last refuge’ triggers and puts you in the stealth during performance of action_A then you get ‘revealed’ debuf which prevents you going into stealth again. It is simply catastrophic for certain builds.

People already mentioned issue with it popping mid C&D.

Now, my build is even more sensitive to it since ‘last refuge’ has much larger time window in which it can ‘trigger’ and mess things up.

Imagine you are d/p build and you do ‘blinding powder’ plus HS combo for stealth while fighting 5 or more people alone. You will often que those two skills quickly one after another. If the ‘last refuge triggers’ in the middle of of ‘blinding powder’ you will go into stealth just to be revealed when your shot hits someone fraction of a second later and you will carry a revealed debuff now making you unable to stealth. If it triggers before or during HS same will happen, you go into stealth just to come out of stealth at the end of HS when you hit your target.

It is extremely annoying because it happens at the worst possible moment (when you are low on health) and can easily lead to death when one fights zergs alone. I can tell you that this trait probably accounts for 80%+ of my deaths.

In the case of my builds, this trait is like having a high chance (over 50%) to
1. LOSE 9 initiative points
AND
2. stealth to randomly fail
AND
3. get revealed debuff
at the worst possible moment (when you are at 25% health and being actively DPS-ed).
How is that a good idea?

So developers should let us simply disable the trait and put one big nothing in its place until they put something more reasonable there. Such option would solve similar issues in the future. While people are explaining what is the problem with ‘minor trait X’ and developers are taking the time to understand the issue and fix it, people can simply decide to remove it from the build and have one big ‘non-harmful’ nothing in its place.

Soko D Medo

(edited by Mufa.1326)

in Thief

Mufa.1326

…and bump to this……I hope it is allowed. I simply think adding this feature is very simple (it merely requires you not to auto-populate minor traits on trait reset (as you already do for Major ones)), while it will save players and developers lots of headaches in the future.

Soko D Medo

in Thief

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

in Thief

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

Or they could just fix the bug where last refuge doesn’t cancel your current action.

No instants do though. Same thing would happen with blinding powder if you did it manually. The trait just needs to be changed. Just have it drop the same blind field as black powder shot at our feet or something.

in Thief

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

This trait in it’s current form is a relic from the time Revealed didn’t exist and needs to be purged for the new world order.

in Thief

Posted by: Malicious.6742

Malicious.6742

I’d rather have ANet fix the Blinding Powder bug instead..

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

How about granting stealth on steal when health is below 25%?

The stealth will be instant like before, but on-demand instead of triggered automatically.

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Or Stealth could Ignore the basic auto attack, and this issue would cease to exist.
Auto-attacks aren’t stealth attacks and the two cannot occur at the same time, no reason for the auto-attack to break stealth just screws up traits.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Mufa.1326

I think that the discussion about what should replace ‘last refuge’ should be left for some other topic.

Soko D Medo

in Thief

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Oh I know right…

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

Oh I know right…

This was happening to me so many times last run I gave up and went to WvW to reset my traits.

There is something seriously wrong with both the trait itself and Lupicus’s reset trigger.

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Yes, Last Refuge is a very problematic trait.

in Thief

Mufa.1326

Yeah, unfortunately good simple-to-implement ideas are not priority for these developers.

They are spending their time on more important things, such is forcing us to play temple for one whole week. Random map is too difficult to implement apparently ( or some nonsense about tracking meta for each map, instead of freezing everything about the team (traits/weapons/class etc) at tourney submit and forcing people to make team composition when facing uncertainty of map choice)….
…they are what they are, abysmal.

Soko D Medo