Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

The ranger. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Tiger

Actually dusted off my oldest toon

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Oh snap! Someone got a little too much swag in dis thread.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

flavor of the month

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

flavor of the month

flavor of the 6 months ;p

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

let’s open everyday a “nerf ranger.. ranger op” thread like other classes have done for thieves from the release.
We don’t even need to know how the class works, just spam the forum with nonsense things about rangers. Let’s act like 10years old childs, it’s the only way A-Net will listen to us

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

let’s open everyday a “nerf ranger.. ranger op” thread like other classes have done for thieves from the release.
We don’t even need to know how the class works, just spam the forum with nonsense things about rangers. Let’s act like 10years old childs, it’s the only way A-Net will listen to us

engis seem to be immune to it, i wonder why…=.=

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

engis seem to be immune to it, i wonder why…=.=

We didn’t cry enough. Actually we didn’t cry at all.

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in Thief

Faeyd.5094

Yeah Longbow is going to get nerfed. I thought it would be reigned in playing some sPvP without all the WvW bonuses but it isn’t. I can destroy everything 1:1 from range in there and not just glass… nothing can stand up to it. Thieves are fleeing across the kitten map after one encounter.

I’m even getting jumped and drilling folks down to zero in one rotation so the whole get to me and you got me thing is not valid. Zerker amulet, fire, air, pets that CC and this toon went into stupid land.

Tiger

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

When I see a ranger I equip Smoke Screen, it blocks their first burst (usually rapid fire) and since they now feel invincible, they are all usually glassy now. So if you manage to survive that first burst, they are not really a threat.

But yeah, it’s bound to be nerfed. I wonder if A-net really test things before hitting live? Sometimes it doesn’t seem like that to me…

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: Necrotize.2974

Necrotize.2974

When I see a ranger I equip Smoke Screen, it blocks their first burst (usually rapid fire) and since they now feel invincible, they are all usually glassy now. So if you manage to survive that first burst, they are not really a threat.

But yeah, it’s bound to be nerfed. I wonder if A-net really test things before hitting live? Sometimes it doesn’t seem like that to me…

What’s best is when they know they’re screwed so they try using back to back pet CC’s to keep you away until Rapid Fire is back. Had one ranger blow RF then Wolf’s fear, hound’s immob, knockback shot and stealth shot then switch to GS and use swoop to run. Lo and behold he was waiting right around the corner, waiting to launch RF again. It needs to be toned down but ranger really needed a buff anyway since last I remember, they were pretty much free kills who were there mostly to provide spirits to other players. It was like the whole team had a pet who also happened to have a pet.

in Thief

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

If you’re using OH pistol … you should have very little issue with Rapid Fire … daze them.

If you can’t because you have allowed them to pelt you from max range … then you’ve already made a mistake … bad positioning. Thief is a mobile class … correct bad positioning.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Thief

Necrotize.2974

If you’re using OH pistol … you should have very little issue with Rapid Fire … daze them.

If you can’t because you have allowed them to pelt you from max range … then you’ve already made a mistake … bad positioning. Thief is a mobile class … correct bad positioning.

Still, assuming your reaction time is good and you see the ranger targeting you, the casting time for headshot is 1/4 seconds and has some traveling time(not much). So, accounting for that, you will take at least a fifth of the damage, a little more depending on how the arrows hit you as your headshot travels. This is ofc assuming you both press your respective skill at the exact same time. There is also the difference in ranges. Headshot is 900, RF is 1200 and potentially 1500 if I understand the Eagle Eye trait correctly. RF also has been known to arc and travel a bit further than its listed ranged so I’m including that just to cover all the bases. This means that to headshot a ranger that is aiming for you, you need to cover over 600 units and launch headshot, assuming that they aren’t finished casting at that point. This of course all goes out the window if you are both already in range of each other fighting. Also worth mentioning that if you interrupt their rapid fire, it goes on cd for 5 seconds instead of 8 or 10(most likely 8 ), so if you take a certain amount of damage from rapid fire before interrupting it, you are actually helping them more than you are hurting them by stopping it mid cast.

There are definitely more factors to it all but I’m tired and don’t feel like thinking right now.

(edited by Necrotize.2974)

in Thief

Sebrent.3625

I’m aware of the discrepancies in range. I just fought Sir Vincent the other night who was saying that Ranger Longbow and Greatsword are OP, especially to Thieves. He went Ranger and I went Thief (which I don’t play that much) and I shut him out on kills.

Daze was quite helpful. You can Head Shot every 4s with base initiative regen as it costs 4 and you regen 1 per second.

I’m interested in what you said about when you daze it though. Are you sure that if you interrupt a channeled ability it won’t go on its full cooldown? That’s honestly something I’ve never tested. Do you have a video of this for any channeled ability that has a cooldown? (that would save me time).

If you’re a thief and just running at a Ranger across an open plain … you’re either kitteny, dumb, or know something about the situation that the rest of us don’t :-p

Thief mobility is good enough to stay on a Ranger.

Now, if that Ranger starts using traps too … sorry. I’ve personally found that is a very effective counter to most melee-only Thief builds. Drop trap, stand on trap, shoot at thief.

Thankfully for thieves, though, you can’t chase someone while standing on a trap. So I find that works best for controlling a point … not roaming.

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I have few issues with rangers, especially now with the fotm berserker builds. If anything, they’re statistically worse players with so many of them being alts/fotm noobs and have no defense. I consider most rangers free lootbags, especially if they’re using longbow. I actively flee from sword rangers more than anything, since those are the good ones who are much harder to kill and can apply a lot of condition pressure with a lot of evades and battlefield control.

I’d rather see the other skills made better on the longbow, though, and the skill tweaked so that it still deals more damage than auto-attacking (it used to not), but making it less newbie-friendly.

Good longbow rangers are absolutely terrifying with the skill, but so is anyone who’s good and has a counterbuild, really.

in Thief

Sebrent.3625

DeceiverX … I <3 you.
I feel we’re on the exact same wavelength.

Better yourself.

in Thief

Posted by: TrOtskY.5927

TrOtskY.5927

this wouldnt even be remotely a problem is the ports weren’t so buggy right now.
As I mentioned in a post in another thread that got deleted, a thief can port like 2-3K unit range INSTANTLY which is WAY longer distance than RF.
Once you are ontop of them they are dead.

in Thief

Sebrent.3625

Once a thief is on top of any glass cannon, they are dead (or at least should be … if not, it’s the thief’s fault :-p)

Better yourself.

in Thief

Necrotize.2974

I’m aware of the discrepancies in range. I just fought Sir Vincent the other night who was saying that Ranger Longbow and Greatsword are OP, especially to Thieves. He went Ranger and I went Thief (which I don’t play that much) and I shut him out on kills.

Daze was quite helpful. You can Head Shot every 4s with base initiative regen as it costs 4 and you regen 1 per second.

I’m interested in what you said about when you daze it though. Are you sure that if you interrupt a channeled ability it won’t go on its full cooldown? That’s honestly something I’ve never tested. Do you have a video of this for any channeled ability that has a cooldown? (that would save me time).

If you’re a thief and just running at a Ranger across an open plain … you’re either kitteny, dumb, or know something about the situation that the rest of us don’t :-p

Thief mobility is good enough to stay on a Ranger.

Now, if that Ranger starts using traps too … sorry. I’ve personally found that is a very effective counter to most melee-only Thief builds. Drop trap, stand on trap, shoot at thief.

Thankfully for thieves, though, you can’t chase someone while standing on a trap. So I find that works best for controlling a point … not roaming.

Haven’t personally tested it but that is what it notes on the wiki, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Interrupt
It makes sense as I’m sure we’ve all had heals interrupted before and assuming we don’t die, the heal comes back off cd long before its normal cd.

in Thief

Faeyd.5094

Guys… Played him again last night. There were plenty of brand new rangers to harvest but I found the thieves the easiest class to own over and over and I struggle to believe there is a flock of new thieves rushing to play thier massively nerfed class. Doesn’t matter what class it was… It’s just not risky running a glass ranger…. No risk.

Tiger

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Well, it worked on thief and has yet to work on warrior even in the mature discussions.

Anet just has 0 direction with thief and probably uses forum Q.Q against thief for a majority of their changes. A majority of the changes that “buff” thief don’t make any sense to anyone. The person responsible for typing the patch notes probably scratched their head when they updated water combat skills.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”