Afterpatch trapper wvw thief build

in Thief

Posted by: Rudy.6184

Rudy.6184

Hey I’ve just seen new rune – trapper and I just thought why not to make hybrid thief? New rune imo is perfect for that (more condi oriented). Also thought about full dire, maybe it would be better.

Here is the build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZEQNAqYVlsMptplNx0J8rNhRBxdAiwD8uH74+dtCA-TlyCABAcIAU4EAQz+DRq+DgaC+S5Xe6BSUJIDPAAKOCAkCAilVA-w

Obviously in place of grenth rune is rune of the trapper (new one) which gives stealth and superspeed after using a trap.

Instead of grenth elite (which i think would be nice here – control) anything else would be good (daggerstorm maybe better cause of its hybrid dmg).
Tell me guys what you think about it.

(edited by Rudy.6184)

in Thief

Rudy.6184

Okay i tried it and i must say it is the trollest build I ever made. Works quite well. Running away is most fun part ;p cause if u use trap u gain stealth – 2 initiative. With base 15 i can teleport with bow all day and my enemies just walk into traps xd. Still can quite nice dps especially vs meele class.

in Thief

Posted by: SigmaOfApeiron.8397

SigmaOfApeiron.8397

Seems interesting and I’ve also been thinking about a trap-oriented build, and when I heard of the new Trapper rune it seemed even better/more likely..
I like your idea of going Hybrid for some on-hit damage. I guess survivability is good too?
The coming of this rune may actually make a trap Thief very viable(especially in WvW)

in Thief

Rudy.6184

Yea survi is quite good – little worse than standard dire setup, but i don’t like be so tanky, prefer to exchange it abit for dmg. It is playstyle simmilar to engi/ranger – kiting and condispam. Shortbow for mobility is very important when it goes bad.

in Thief

Posted by: Juston.6817

Juston.6817

Would be nice if it it works, but (!) the bonuses only activate on wvw traps:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Trapper
Edit: read under Notes

in Thief

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

“The trap bonuses activate on World versus World traps”

It doesn’t say ‘only works’.
I take it to mean it will work with WvW consumable Traps as well.
Can we get confirmation, please?

in Thief

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

“The trap bonuses activate on World versus World traps”

It doesn’t say ‘only works’.
I take it to mean it will work with WvW consumable Traps as well.
Can we get confirmation, please?

I have them and they work with any type of traps, utility/trait/consumables.

in Thief

Posted by: fictitiousacct.1782

fictitiousacct.1782

Is there a limit to how many people get hit by traps (specifically tripwire and needle trap)? I naturally assume 5, but if it isn’t, you could shake up entire zerg vs. zerg fights by simply using them in the middle or front of a zerg. Additionally, this gives reason to hold onto and use wvw traps just in case too.

in Thief

Posted by: TheBandicoot.5294

TheBandicoot.5294

WvW traps have a much higher target limit than Thief traps do. Thief traps have a limit of 5 targets while WvW traps can affect up to 50 people i think within the trap´s 1200 units effect radius once its tripped.

in Thief

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

alright, so my P/D just put on these beautiful little runes last night. I’m in love! Running ambush, needle trap and tripwire, ambush on 28 CD the other on 24s CD. Even if nobody steps on my traps (they always do though), the speed + free sneak attack really lets me put more presure on. If I’m in a 1v1 and they step on trip wire its GG.

If you have a condi thief, try these runes and ditch your shadow refuge+stun breaks for traps, its so fun. Reveal technically “counter” it, but not really- its a cooldown trade and I’ll get a free stealth before their reveal is up again. Just don’t make the mistake of dorpping a trap while revealed, easy to do on accident.

also, you need to toggle auto attack off- if you drop trap while autoing, you’ll go stealth in the middle of your auto animation and you will not get a free sneak attack

(edited by Cam Ron.4170)

in Thief

Rudy.6184

@Cam Ron – yup the stealth can be broken cause of autoatack and even when enemy walks into a trap too fast. It is worth go without any stunbreak on thief? Without a shadowstep you’ll be locked down and die. Tried the fullcondi spec, works even better then hybrid, cause on non-squishy targets it has too little pressure (hybrid one). Also it would be nice if the second minor SA trait would work on trap stealth. And about multitargeting – it usually works on one target.

in Thief

Posted by: fumcheg.1936

fumcheg.1936

every trap is a SB with these runes

in Thief

Rudy.6184

no they aren’t, but shadow trap is when u activate it, I’ll try it in practice, can be op.

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

And 1 year to go before seeing it in pvp….

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

fumcheg.1936

no they aren’t, but shadow trap is when u activate it, I’ll try it in practice, can be op.

have you tried it? this skill description says that they should http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Super_Speed

in Thief

fumcheg.1936

ok, I get it. you can’t set trap while stanned)

in Thief

TheBandicoot.5294

And even if we could set traps while stunned – the wiki misleads you. all this rune does, is giving you the buff Superspeed, which does just what it describes, giving you +100% Movement speed. This is not to be puzzled with the engineer skill called super speed, which upon activation causes a stunbreak as listed on its description, and gives you the buff called superspeed. The buff itself isnt a stunbreaker, only the skill which gives you the buff.

in Thief

Posted by: Belisario.3410

Belisario.3410

So this can actually be used outside of wvw? Like, on dungeons? Since most groups use stacking tactics, I dont see how this cant work

in Thief

TheBandicoot.5294

Counter-Question. Why would you want to bring traps on a thief when doing a dungeon? They´re highly underused because they´re even less useful than a ranger´s traps while having much higher cooldowns, and they´re next to useless in dungeons.

Of course you can use this build anywhere besides PvP because the runes don’t exist there.

in Thief

Posted by: Cam Ron.4170

Cam Ron.4170

@Cam Ron – yup the stealth can be broken cause of autoatack and even when enemy walks into a trap too fast. It is worth go without any stunbreak on thief? Without a shadowstep you’ll be locked down and die. Tried the fullcondi spec, works even better then hybrid, cause on non-squishy targets it has too little pressure (hybrid one). Also it would be nice if the second minor SA trait would work on trap stealth. And about multitargeting – it usually works on one target.

as far as the stun break question- runes are still really good even with two traps (short cd) and I’d recommend bringing shadowstep if planing on playing very risky/outnumbered (stealing into large groups). However in most cases I rune 3 traps and run 2/0/0/6/6 with assassin’s equilibrium. I bet 90% of poeople think I’m nuts for not going Sa but I love feline grace especially with with uncatchable trait, and 2s of stability while I’m using my channeled sneak attack has saved me a lot.=, especially with so much stealth access. also between swiftness on dodge, withdraw, infiltrator’s arrow (+vigor on heal if you trait that instead of pain response) you can get around just fine without any + movement speed.

also, never realized how useful ambush thief is, best part is how your thief throw scorpion wire.

(edited by Cam Ron.4170)

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Ok seeing I had a p/d thief in Grenth runes and Grenth so cheap I thought I would try this Trapper rune out.

It IS a lot of fun. I went 6/0/2/0/6. The duration of conditions is 100 percent so the panic strike hits for 5 seconds stacking with that Needle trap anither 6. It has a lot of escapes. I am also taking corrosive traps as each trap now adds 5 stacks vulnerability for 16 seconds.

I am not sure I can work Master trapper in there yet for that cooldown.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Rudy.6184

as far as the stun break question- runes are still really good even with two traps (short cd) and I’d recommend bringing shadowstep if planing on playing very risky/outnumbered (stealing into large groups). However in most cases I rune 3 traps and run 2/0/0/6/6 with assassin’s equilibrium. I bet 90% of poeople think I’m nuts for not going Sa but I love feline grace especially with with uncatchable trait, and 2s of stability while I’m using my channeled sneak attack has saved me a lot.=, especially with so much stealth access. also between swiftness on dodge, withdraw, infiltrator’s arrow (+vigor on heal if you trait that instead of pain response) you can get around just fine without any + movement speed.

also, never realized how useful ambush thief is, best part is how your thief throw scorpion wire.

Nice idea of it, but what dissapoints me is that in wvw sa is almost obligatory because of condi removal. Anet should add more traits with condicleanse and no stealthy. As for the shadowstep I would agree. Now I run full dire 3 traps with shadowtrap – stunbreaker and nice initiation with it, also teleport is really nice (or 6 sec stealth with 12 stacks of might ^^). It is extremally fun – I can troll enemies like a boss.