All this Doom and Gloom?

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: redux.1502

redux.1502

I see all these comments that Thief is worthless right now. Why is that the case? (Details are what I’m searching for)

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: Nihlus.9724

Nihlus.9724

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Dagger/Pistol

Counters

• Most 1v1s (it’s simply not your role to engage in duels)

In a vacuum, we’re objectively the worst class. Our worth in team fights is severely reduced due to the current bunker meta. Additionally, other classes can approach our decap and +1 potential, making us less worthwhile to have.

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Because outside of Warriors, all of the other classes got the ability to have both high sustain and high dps aswel as good group support.
What put thief in the meta before was it’s mobility, right now there’s high horizontal mobility across other classes aswel (Rev’s, Mesmers still, even Druid’s really) so we’re facing a point where literally everything we can/could is done better by classes that got a much lower risk vs a much higher reward. They do what we do, along with higher sustain, more support and probably more dps over the course of a fight (not to mention direct counters such as Reveal etc.)

Really, the only thing we still do best, Is vertical mobility.
Which is useless as soon as your enemy has two points bunkered in PvP (vertical mobility doesn’t matter in PvE and hardly in WvW).

We just don’t bring anything to the table.

EDIT:
Also… Passives… Those crutch “get out of jail for free card” traits/procs prevent us from effectively taking out unaware/bad players within seconds.
Bad/unskilled play doesn’t really get punished anymore until you reach higher tiers of gameplay.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

(edited by Vornollo.5182)

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Meta is bunker and AoE spam. The thief has neither. They also have very few group based buffs making them dead weight in most fights. Highly skilled players running certain builds can be effective but those same players in meta builds are beasts.

The thief class is a selfish class that while fun to play at times isn’t team oriented.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

What do you mean by vertical and horizontal mobility?

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Your strength isn’t space imagination, or??

Vertical Mobility = Moving upwards, like using a SB5 to reach a point, that is higher than you.

Horizontal Mobility = Moving forwards, because at this are other classes easily able to outclass us, which makes no sense at all when in fact the thief should be by design the fastest class of all.
Warriors for example in HEAVY ARMORS being able to outrun a thief with the right troll build, or currently Revenant outclassing thieves also in alot of other things, that should have been a thief only mechanic.

The thief has been nerfed totally to death with the june 23rd patch and the introduction of he total overbuffed powercreep e-specs from HoT, without that ANet has done anythign at all at the crucial important parts of the combat mechanics of this game to prevent this, because all what they did over the last years is only buff buf buf buf the offensive game mechanics, while leaving all the reats of this games balance in a state of 2012, where all this powercreep diodn#t exist.
It’s no miracle that sooner or later the game will fall together like a house of cards from this terrible unbalanced kind of balancing and improving always only offensive mechanics, while ignoring the defensive mechanics is no solution.
They ignored all the years too much especially the important core mechanics of this game that are also part of class balancing too and not only the weapon skills and traits, while ignoring such important balancing factors like Class Base Health Values, like Attribute Efficiency and Effects and mechanics, like Upgrade Balancing, aka Sigils, Runes and Gemstones and so on …

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: EazyPanda.6419

EazyPanda.6419

Vertical Mobility = Shadowstepping from the ground to the roof of Khylo.

Horizontal Mobility = Walking from Point A to point B on a flat surface

Anet logic:
where bashing people over the head with a stick deals more damage than a stab to the heart.
-My D.A. = http://eazypanda.deviantart.com/

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

reikken.4961

I see. I wasn’t aware you could do that. In PvE, any time I try to shadowstep up to a place I can’t walk to (WALK, not even jump), it says no valid path

and outside of Portal Exeunt, there’s no way anything else beats thief in moving from one place to another. Thief can blink 3-5 times in a row, and dash almost indefinitely.

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: EazyPanda.6419

EazyPanda.6419

I see. I wasn’t aware you could do that. In PvE, any time I try to shadowstep up to a place I can’t walk to (WALK, not even jump), it says no valid path

and outside of Portal Exeunt, there’s no way anything else beats thief in moving from one place to another. Thief can blink 3-5 times in a row, and dash almost indefinitely.

The way shadowsteps/blinks work is by using a grid which enables NPCs to walk on the surface.
If an NPC can walk from one point to another, you can shadowstep to it.

Check out WoodenPotato’s video on it on youtube. =)

Anet logic:
where bashing people over the head with a stick deals more damage than a stab to the heart.
-My D.A. = http://eazypanda.deviantart.com/

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: Midi.8359

Midi.8359

Not answering the question you directly asked. But part of the gloom too comes from the fact that we haven’t really been cared for at all as far as balancing goes.

Still waiting for that promised 10% heal increase for withdraw… If they ever do add that in, it’ll be along with a new internal company policy to never promise any balance changes for the game.

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

reikken.4961

The way shadowsteps/blinks work is by using a grid which enables NPCs to walk on the surface.
If an NPC can walk from one point to another, you can shadowstep to it.

Check out WoodenPotato’s video on it on youtube. =)

Oh, huh. I’ll do that, thanks

All this Doom and Gloom?

in Thief

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

We’re way past a pityfull 10% withdraw healing, thief doesn’t really lack burst nor healing, and even has decent sustain by itself.

We lack the proper tools to use it efficiently all the while bringing something to our teammates in the middle of a midblob fight.
Meaning not bouncing around the blind/daze/throw/launch/stun/block/immune/invulnerable/weakness/dodge/knockdown/interrupt/taunt/stealth/frozen/moa/slow/protection/fear while going on GCD because most resources were spent for nothing.
Meaning burst is negated, sustain drops to the floor, and dodging/healing only gets you so far. And again, without even bringing anything noticable to the team’s synergy.

Venom share could have been a nice answer to this but the CD and pathetic stack quantity makes 0 sense and never did. It still shines sometimes, but again, in a sea of immunity you go 30s GCD so easily, meanwhile what’s your burst is another classe’s sustain.

(sustain = sustained damage*)

(edited by muscarine.5136)