Am I still a noob for running this build?

in Thief

Posted by: Nimrud.5642

Nimrud.5642

Hello,

(Skip to the 2nd paragraph, unless you like reading personal stuff.) I’m a somewhat noobie, somewhat experienced player. Started playing last december. Got all dungeons except aetherblade. Fracs up to 40, full zerker ascended, etc. Not something extraordinary, but not your average Joe either. Anyways, its not a self esteem or evaluation thread; I’m only writing this to inform you about the frames of my knowledge about the game.

So far I’ve been using this build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZEQNAsaVl8MpwpVOxxJsPNxLBtdzrwG0dBBovoA-ThBBABScAFwa/R5HAnCgAeSBVq+zZKBDAgAYiTciTciTsJOxJOxJOxA-e

This is the S/P version ofc, but I think the trait choices are obvious for other weapons as well. (Combined Training —> Dagger Training etc…) I sometimes switch to the 6/6/0/0/2 meta build for fights like Rasbovich or Subject Alpha, last boss of Uncategorized Fractal, etc. where I know I wont need that many dodges. But generally 70-80% of the harder PvE content feels much better to complete with the 5/6/0/3/0 build. Not to mention that it enables me to survive with 3 signets and I dont need to ‘waste’ utility slots for Shadowstep, -refuge and the likes. I also take Power of Interia when running the dodgy build (Descent of Shadows at Snowblind frac last boss).

So all in all? How far is this putting me behind the meta build in terms of dps? Is any1 actually running the meta build with 3 signets or 2 + Haste? (The latter is really the sitting duck build of gw2.) And IF this build is not stupid, then would it be better to use Strength runes (Power of Interia) or are Scholar runes still superior?

Ty

p.s.: I also wanted to ask about the most expensive 70 attack pwr of the game:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mighty_Infusion

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Versatile_Mighty_Infusion

These are extremely expensive. I’ve considered myself an elitist up until I saw the ingredients for these. Does buying them give any significant improvement, or are they only gold sinks?

enthusiastic noob

(edited by Nimrud.5642)

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Always valuate your build in terms of what groups you will run with, if you mostly pug, any content you find harder, 3pts in acro is better than sligtly more dps. I use 6/6/0/0/2 and 3 signets unless the group needs some utility. 5/6/0/3/0 only for CoE since I pug all the time. Those few times I was lucky to get dps group that knew what they were doing, I didn’t really need those extra dodges.

Imo, scholar is better for thieves than strength, especially since most might stacks in a groups are provided by eles.

The infusions, well, for pve only, they are a nice addition to your dps. If you however Wvw as well, you’d lose the additional +/- 1% to guard dmg. You can equip 2 same rings (to have might infusion on both) if one is infused and other the regular version.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Nimrud.5642

Always valuate your build in terms of what groups you will run with, if you mostly pug, any content you find harder, 3pts in acro is better than sligtly more dps. I use 6/6/0/0/2 and 3 signets unless the group needs some utility. 5/6/0/3/0 only for CoE since I pug all the time. Those few times I was lucky to get dps group that knew what they were doing, I didn’t really need those extra dodges.

Imo, scholar is better for thieves than strength, especially since most might stacks in a groups are provided by eles.

The infusions, well, for pve only, they are a nice addition to your dps. If you however Wvw as well, you’d lose the additional +/- 1% to guard dmg. You can equip 2 same rings (to have might infusion on both) if one is infused and other the regular version.

I’d say I pug 50% of the time, but even in guild runs I lack the max 25 stacks of might, so overcapping is hardly an issue. However I’m 90+% HP most of the time, as in high lvl fracs its either this or you are dead and there aren’t many options in between the two. Low HP pool and medium armor as you know…

Anyways, is there a way to quantify the difference between 6/6/0/0/2 and 5/6/0/3/0? 5% or 10% rather? Even more? And talking about quantifying – how much dmg does that 70 AP translate into? I’m suspecting that having simple infusions and running with the 5/6/0/3/0 build results in 12-18% dps loss compared to the meta. But this is only a gut feeling, I have no clue how to back it up matemathically. Is that still a fair ‘calculation’?

I just would like to know if its worth the struggle to learn to survive with the meta spec.

ty

p.s.: Oh btw, for a thief to cover all offensive slot on all your gear takes 15 infusions if I’m not mistaken. And 8 versatile for defensive slots. Offensive costs around 57g each, defensive costs around 160g each – calculating with buy orders. That means a whooping 2100-2150g depending on current prices. Thats what I meant by insane. Basically a semi-popular legendary’s price…

enthusiastic noob

(edited by Nimrud.5642)

in Thief

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

These are extremely expensive. I’ve considered myself an elitist up until I saw the ingredients for these. Does buying them give any significant improvement, or are they only gold sinks?

PvE – gold sinks, 70 stat points won’t matter.
WvW infusions – very helpful(for wvw ofc), not that pricy either.
Scholar is worse than strength by far.. almost same damage as strength >90%(assuming you provide and keep up 10 stacks of might by yourself however), guess what <90%. Oh and also pls trait that gives might on signet activation? if you pve..

(edited by Evalia.7103)

in Thief

Nimrud.5642

PvE – gold sinks, 70 stat points won’t matter.
WvW infusions – very helpful(for wvw ofc), not that pricy either.
Scholar is worse than strength by far.. Same damage as strength >90%, guess what <90%. Oh and also pls trait that gives might on signet activation? if you pve..

I am not questioning your good intent, but ‘same dmg as str’ is not true as far as I know. Or maybe you’ve meant WvW or spvp. The required uptime varies from spec to spec, but around 60% uptime Scholar beats Strength. But this is for the meta build. The only reason I thought that Str runes may be better for me was the 3points in acro and power of interia.

As for the might on signet activation… This is the D/D meta:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZEQJAoYl8MpwpVOxxJsPNRLRtdHsBfgXnh2XQAEiA-e

if fury and might is an issue, you still better off with this spec:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fZEQJAoYl8MpwpVOxxJsPNRLRtdI0BfgXvh2XQAEiA-e

And if you are still keen on some signet trait, Signet Use is better according to the almighty masters of thief math. Unless you spec for bursting CoF P1 endboss…

enthusiastic noob

in Thief

Posted by: twoscoops.6913

twoscoops.6913

@OP 15 pts in Acrobatics is a nice comfort zone and most thieves have been there at some point and time. But yeah, if you care about personnal dps – and it seems you do – lose the crutch!

You’re missing out on a lot of good bonuses: +50 power, sweet sweet grandmaster traits from the 1st line (reaveled training, improvisation) and a +5% damage modifier. This adds up to about 12% when using revealed training and 18% when using ele conjured weapons with improvisation. Your estimates were pretty spot on gg.

Now what do you actually gain from 15 pts in Acro? Against trash mobs, you don’t need to dodge because S/P is OP. Against bosses you’ll be running D/D which has built in Endurance regen which should be enough. Need extra dodges fast? Pop signet of agility. Or slot Withdraw as a heal for dodge-heavy fights (great heal per second). See? You’ll come to realize you don’t REALLY need that extra dodge. Sure it’s nice but…

I’m not a special player and I pug using 6-6-0-0-2 all the time. I don’t die more than others. All the guys I play with also use that build. Most pugs don’t because most pugs play bad builds. The only times I switch to 5-6-0-3-0 are pug lupi, mossman and mai trin.

(edited by twoscoops.6913)

in Thief

Nimrud.5642

@OP 15 pts in Acrobatics is a nice comfort zone and most thieves have been there at some point and time. But yeah, if you care about personnal dps – and it seems you do – lose the crutch!

You’re missing out on a lot of good bonuses: +50 power, sweet sweet grandmaster traits from the 1st line (reaveled training, improvisation) and a +5% damage modifier. This adds up to about 12% when using revealed training and 18% when using ele conjured weapons with improvisation. Your estimates were pretty spot on gg.

Now what do you actually gain from 15 pts in Acro? Against trash mobs, you don’t need to dodge because S/P is OP. Against bosses you’ll be running D/D which has built in Endurance regen which should be enough. Need extra dodges fast? Pop signet of agility. Or slot Withdraw as a heal for dodge-heavy fights (great heal per second). See? You’ll come to realize you don’t REALLY need that extra dodge. Sure it’s nice but…

I’m not a special player and I pug using 6-6-0-0-2 all the time. I don’t die more than others. All the guys I play with also use that build. Most pugs don’t because most pugs play bad builds. The only times I switch to 5-6-0-3-0 are pug lupi, mossman and mai trin.

All right then… Dear meta, here I come! Just make sure to instantly kick me if you see my name in the LFG tab. :P Unless ofc you still need the ‘Combat Healer’ title.

ty

enthusiastic noob

in Thief

Posted by: twoscoops.6913

twoscoops.6913

You’ll be fine. Real zerkers don’t die, they transcend.

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I lurk around forums just when I am work so yeah..

25 mights stacks isn’t a problem if the whole group helps blasting. sb for thieves, banners for warriors etc. Usually doesn’t help much explaining this to pugs but for guild runs, it’s definitely worth it.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Nimrud.5642

Yesterday evening I joined a lvl38 fractal group, to put my ‘new’ build to the test. After the loading screen all I see is: ‘Lol, 4 signets!’ and insta kick. :P I think life is telling me something here.

Anyways, I’ve completed a lvl 29 after that with no problems. So there is still hope.

Ty once more!

enthusiastic noob