An issue and question in regards to Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: Tzozef.9841

Tzozef.9841

I literally saw a Daredevil dodge around in the middle of a 20 Man zerg.

It was absurd, funny for a moment, then questioned the Elite spec, the objective of the spec and what this does for the game.

But seeing it do that, I was like “Wtf is this?”

I thought the whole point of the Daredevil was High Risk, High Reward.

It seemed more like No Risk, No Reward, No worries.

He might as well been an Elementalist with perma-Obsidian Flesh but do zero damage, or spectator mode.

Even the most bunky or stalemate-y type of characters (Guardian/Ele) will eventually die in a zerg.

They have infinite amount of Endurance rotating through all these Endurance regen mechanics, I’ll list them out.

Here are some things to note:
The extra Dodge
Signet of Agility(30s)
Channeled Vigor (20s cd)
Shadow step (50s cd)

-Vault using 5 initiative as an extra form of dodge. with Trickery used up to 3 times including dealing damage following the Evading (which is invulnerability)

-and Superior Sigil of Energy, with plus dodges from each weapon swap. (once every 10s)
This includes Bandit’s defense (15s cd) used as a stall to get endurance back and cooldown for endurance gain-back skills, which are on low cooldown as it is.

In a span of 30 seconds you have multiple ways to get full Endurance, and still have other skills to regain/build endurance within the next 30s after, including the dodge with Staff vault.

I think this is poor design, Evasion = Invulnerability, people need to understand this.
This is not the same as Death Shroud, DS is damage mitigation, they still take damage and susceptible to effects.

Some questions, what is the trade-off between a Daredevil and running core Thief, hm?

And how it is “High Risk, High Reward” if Evading (Invul to dmg) deals damage on EVERY occasion? I.E. Vault/Bounding Dodger.
You get to evade AND deal damage?

I’m putting to question the whole point or design to this spec as a whole, it’s borderline absurdity and I’m quite critical of it, yet I see the fun in it.

My vision was, Thieves as Daredevils use less stealth and focus more on dodging, and focuses on Charging into battles being upfront, not being sneaky and backstabbing. They are being DARING, they are putting themselves at risk to get more damage in while be more seen, visible, and too close for comfort

It turned out to be more like a bouncing ball that bounces everywhere.

I think the block from Bandit’s Defense is out of place and needs to go, its a stall and removes the risk the DAREdevil is intended to be. I suggest it gets Retaliation when used and knocks back opponents when struck, no block. You have to rely on your dodges and evades as intended.

And I don’t think Bounding Dodger should be a blast finisher, simply because if you are gonna dodge around and do damage, you better commit! (you can’t blast into a stealth) There is no escape and better get it done.

These changes are intended to really weed out the cheese players ftom and in favor of the players thieves/dd who have ACTUAL skill.

If the Daredevil is gonna have a focus on dodges and dodge around, make them commit to it, that is the trade-off if there is any. Blocking should never be available, thematically it doesn’t fit, and mechanically its a cheap stall, and stealth takes some effort.

Also PVP cost of Vault should be unsplit from SPVP to WVW/PVE costing 6 initiative, which currently costs 6 now in sPVP. It just seems more consistent.

And that’s it, everything else get’s left alone.

With the recent August 8 patch, people were QQing about Warrior/Zerk nerfs, meanwhile it wasn’t a nerf, it buffed the core slightly and changed the interaction between Berserker bursts to certain traits, making it a clear trade-off between using Core warrior vs Zerker elite spec. Same includes for Revenants, more incentive to use Jalis/Retribution.

Similar was done to a smaller degree to Tempests. And Yet they completely failed regarding the Necromancer (seems they’ll never get that right.)

With the Deadeye coming out, THE TRADE OFF, is apparent, no more steal, and you get Malice/Target multiplier instead.

If people who play this class for a long time could enlighten me and share me their perspective between core Thief and Daredevil that would be great.

(edited by Tzozef.9841)

in Thief

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

20 people couldn’t time an ability to hit between dodges?

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I can do the same with my build. Only things I use are Steal, Precision siggy, and the physical heal. If I really want to troll a group ill add some shadow shots and actually use my shadow step.

Its fun until people actually learn and either move on or who know when to CC me (which is why I tend to save my shadow step)

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in Thief

Posted by: CreedOfGod.9764

CreedOfGod.9764

You do realize that it only takes like two hits to kill a thief, right? I’d say it’s pretty daring to try and jump around in a zerg, when all it takes is a stray hit at the end of an evade frame to put you out. And you said it yourself,
“I thought the whole point of the Daredevil was High Risk, High Reward.
It seemed more like No Risk, No Reward, No worries.”.

If that thief stops for a kill, it’s dead. Movement is the only form of survivabilty. It’s the thiefs fault for not getting the reward and not stopping, but your zerg’s fault for not catching it when it lands,(which it will land).

And retaliation instead of block on bandits defense? LOL yeah let me reflect all that damage while im sitting with 14k hp. Bet that would teach you a lesson not to beat on a thief! /s

~Ghost Ren~
Stay Low. Move Fast. Kill First. Die Last.