And another Thief bugs [video]

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I tried to concentrate on the bugs, that’s why it’s that short.
The first part of the video is how the game has been for me for the past 2 years (until ~2 months ago) – Edit: Everything was recorded in the past 2 weeks, though, this is a sample of now pretty rare bugs that were the majority in the past 2 (- 2 months) years. I could hit mobs only if I was hitting at a non risky angle (circular CnD? forget it!) and they weren’t moving. These bugs are rare now, I’d say they went from ~99,99 to 10%. And that depends on lags as well.The Sons of Svanir were recorded with slight lag and they seem to have some issues with their hitbox anyway, like centaurs and acondas – I miss them more frequently than other mobs.
Hero Challenge NPCs need to have their stealth tolerance checked. It’s that often that they’d reset that I either call map chat for help or don’t use stealth at all.
My thief gliding over SAB’s ice surface is the point after which I show that some of the bugs shown before aren’t ‘technically’ there = I manage to hit mobs at the same angle elsewhere.

The video is rather fast but should be easily understandable
Again; in the end I didn’t believe myself anymore that’s why I didn’t record videos before. The stealth attack cooldown still is an issue, there’s no apparent reason why I miss.
And I know it’s boring that it’s a PvE video, but: these bugs should be everywhere in game, just that they’re probably more frequent in wvw as they amass with lag.

https://youtu.be/LG0tKtPLXpc

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

I tried to concentrate on the bugs, that’s why it’s that short.
The first part of the video is how the game has been for me for the past 2 years (until ~2 months ago). I could hit mobs only if I was hitting at a non risky angle (circular CnD? forget it!) and they weren’t moving. These bugs are rare now, I’d say they went from ~99,99 to 10%. And that depends on lags as well.The Sons of Svanir were recorded with slight lag and they seem to have some issues with their hitbox anyway, like centaurs and acondas – I miss them more frequently than other mobs.
Hero Challenge NPCs need to have their stealth tolerance checked. It’s that often that they’d reset that I either call map chat for help or don’t use stealth at all.
My thief gliding over SAB’s ice surface is the point after which I show that some of the bugs shown before aren’t ‘technically’ there = I manage to hit mobs at the same angle elsewhere.

The video is rather fast but should be easily understandable
Again; in the end I didn’t believe myself anymore that’s why I didn’t record videos before. The stealth attack cooldown still is an issue, there’s no apparent reason why I miss.
And I know it’s boring that it’s a PvE video, but: these bugs should be everywhere in game, just that they’re probably more frequent in wvw as they amass with lag.

https://youtu.be/LG0tKtPLXpc

This is a problem and needs fixing.

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Your issue is twofold as I see it.

1) You tend to not precast CnD soon enough so you run through the creature before your dagger actually strikes.

2) You tend to turn your character away from your target after you cast. If you take your fingers off movement keys, hitting CnD will reorient you so you are facing the right direction. Conversely, if you are aimed the wrong way when you start CnD you can reorient yourself using the manual controls to face the right way in time for the attack to hit.

However, you are starting CnD in the right direction and swerving away from them before the strike connects. This says to me that your control input is causing your character to swerve, whether or not that is caused by you or a bug.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Jana.6831

Not really: I have a few hours of footage, want to see how a non bugged hit looks?

I don’t really get what you want me to say with your second point though. That would apply to the first 3 bugs in which I used CnD and BS. In the first 2 examples I kind of changed direction midway, yes. Still it should be possible to still hit, don’t you think?

Just for the record; I’m using both mouse and keyboard to move, even turn . Not always, sure, as the game is too fast to do so.

ETA: Also: I only miss one CnD that I used with steal – everything else is still in range, so there should be no precast. If there is then it is bad design (in fact there isn’t anymore, maybe a millisecond precast)

ETA²: I don’t know how exactly anet changed their game and I can’t really remember how PvE was 2 years ago. I never had problems with my CnD there, but I had to adjust my precast in wvw if I wanted to use it with steal, yes. All other CnD in wvw still hit, no issues, it was only with steal that I had to precast, which I usually don’t have to do in PvE anymore. This really is my usual gameplay and the bugs were rather rare. There’s tons of footage in which I move just like this and don’t miss. And probably be careful saying “But I don’t believe you” as I will make more videos

And again, this video isn’t to shame anet, but I guess it’s more helpful if they actually see what issues players face than to read it. If they see it, that is.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

saerni.2584

I’m not saying you aren’t bugged, if that’s what you mean. The first was a comment on timing which may involve skill latency. The second involves movement controls, which may also be bugged.

Thief (Daredevil)

in Thief

saerni.2584

Have you considered the possibility that your computer hardware is the thing at fault? Others, myself included, don’t seem to be having the same problems. It seems more than likely that your hardware may be the source of some of your control issues.

Thief (Daredevil)

in Thief

Jana.6831

Again, should I make you a video in which I show 100 not missed CnD and backstabs?

Do you play D/D thief? Do you turn with mouse and keyboard?

And btw: like I initially said: I usually don’t have troubles since 2 months ago anymore – whatever issue there was with CnD has been pretty much solved after I wrote on the forums that the hitframe might be too small.

My computer stayed the same, also my internet connection. Computer has been the same it is since 5 years ago. And it’s still decent.

in Thief

Jana.6831

Have you considered the possibility that your computer hardware is the thing at fault? Others, myself included, don’t seem to be having the same problems. It seems more than likely that your hardware may be the source of some of your control issues.

But you probably didn’t get that the video wasn’t recorded before the fix, but after the fix – everything has been recorded in the past 2 weeks. Just that my game used to look like this before they started to fix stuff (it was multiple issues actually) – so everything looked normal and some 1337 thieves would’ve told me that I precast too early and that my hardware is at fault..
If you look closely you see that I made a nifty comparison after the first SAB part. So if I missed because I wouldn’t hold the initial CnD path, then I would’ve missed the second time again – that was what I wanted to show. No idea if it’s really because some hitboxes of mobs are bugged, it probably is.

in Thief

saerni.2584

Components break, hardware reacts in strange ways. My windows update produced some strange interactions with the game which screwed me up for a while.

I play P/D, so the same issues with landing CnD are something I’m very familiar with. I also have played D/D and D/P extensively enough to understand the melee range interactions.

The stuff I see in your video, as far as the moment when CnD would do its “strike” don’t suggest bugged hit boxes. They suggest, at most, bugged interactions with movement controls. You clearly should miss, given your end positioning, but as I’ve said that may be a result of a bug.

Or that could be the result of a strange software/hardware bug that I’m not aware of. I’ve had them happen to me, such that I’ve had to literally disable features of windows using the command line, in order to get my game functioning normally again.

Thief (Daredevil)

in Thief

Jana.6831

You do realize that I recreated the double CnD miss with the centaur, right?
And you do know that my game mostly runs flawless nowadays and these were rare bugs. If my computer/hardware were at fault I’d still have the same bugs ETA everywhere. And in fact there’s 2 circular CnD that don’t miss in the video and I have a lot more.
Suggestion: make a video of your own – I can’t say if our playstyle is differently and maybe that’s why you don’t miss as frequently as I (used to).

ETA: Please finally get the point and at least read what I write. Again (I really thought I made it clear in the video but obviously not) : Pictures: Same angle, same movement, different mobs. In one case I hit, in the other I miss. So your theory that I was messing the angle up doesn’t fit.

Attachments:

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

These seem to be caused by either being past the target or not facing them.

in Thief

Jana.6831

The two bugs which are pictured above?

in Thief

Jana.6831

On February 4th 2015 anet uploaded a patch. Minutes before that I had a 15 min long duel against a S/D thief in wvw. Was really awesome. My win chance in wvw was at 99% back then. Against thieves 100% (would’ve been 99 had I one thief on my server as my enemy). After that patch, which was chinese new year, my win chance against players fell to 70% (got it slightly up again after a while), against thieves 0%, no matter how bad they were (they were D/P, no offhand dagger thieves).
I asked some buddies, I asked here and no one noticed any difference. Then came the June 2015 patch, then HoT, I couldn’t really solo roam anymore anyway, so I became a zergthief, so no idea how the hit/miss chance changed since about HoT. Then I had to give up wvw and only played PvE again. The game looked normal, just like the first minute of that video (which again was recorded in the past few days – all of it). But one thing really bugged me the most: That mobs would run straight through my CnD. So, I didn’t really believe myself that it indeed was a bug, but was really mad and created a thread in which I asked anet to check the hitframe of CnD. Anet never really say what they did but a few days later that very bug was gone. I still had some issues with circular CnD, but that must’ve been fixed as well (sometimes it’s a back and forth) – my previous video was recorded a few days before I started to record for this video – there’s circular CnD in it as well, one misses, one hits.
Hitboxes: I was farming AP and one of the achievements I was still missing was ‘Plant Slayer’. The oak/moss whateverhearts on the newest map count towards that. At first I would miss my BS after CnD every time. Then a few weeks later, when I made the first bug video, I tried to recreate it and it was fixed – I guess hitboxes do matter. I’ve killed 200 or so of them, so I am certain they were bugged.

I’m fine with the game as it is right now, I can live with a few misses here and there. Just wanted to show you guys. Although I’m a bit disapointed that it seems to be pretty hard to get that there is a comparison in the video. I’d say “yeah that was because” as well, but on other occassions, in a similar situation, I don’t miss. And I said to the tester that you guys would get it. “Everybody who wants to tell me that it’s a learn to play issue will see that there’s the exact same situation with a hit in that video” you proved me wrong.

I’m certain that except for the 3 backstab misses and the Hero Point NPC all of it was either bugs or caused by lags. And I am also certain that the hitframe of CnD was too small and that ‘my game’ was bugged the past 2 years.
And like I said a lot of times: The camera could use some love too, especially when it comes to the backstab issues shown as I’m being punished with the stealth attack cooldown. There’s no excuse why I deserve to miss in the first 2 cases. The third might have been lag.

TL;DR: Read this before you start to make any more weird conclusions about my computer, keyboard, mouse, internet connection, fridge, shoe size or anything.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

A lot of your cnd are far too late tbh, like 1/2 second too late. And you try to bs inside the foe. I will do the same recording tonight if I remember.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

alchemyst.2165

The two bugs which are pictured above?

Yes. Just because you might be able to get a turning CnD one time doesn’t mean it will always connect other times; there are minor changes in where you are positioned and angled in every attack you do, it’s bound to have certain differences. CnD doesn’t have an infinite hitbox, no melee attack does. We notice it more with CnD because:

1. A lot of us like to turn to some degree when we’re doing it
2. It’s an attack we care more about as opposed to auto attack, so we notice it more
3. It’s very hard to get into close melee range, and again, we notice it more with CnD because it’s a more valuable skill.

in Thief

Jana.6831

A lot of your cnd are far too late tbh, like 1/2 second too late. And you try to bs inside the foe. I will do the same recording tonight if I remember.

How can it be too late? It’s an enemy that’s standing there
Yeah, lets hope you’ll remember it!

ETA: I’m using CnD+steal once in that video. In that case you might be right but, like I already said, the game’s servers were lagging while I recorded that footage, so it could be my too early precast or lag. In all other cases (forget it, I still have no idea what you could possibly mean) I just draw CnD while in range of the mob, the precast/too late shouldn’t matter.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

Jana.6831

Yes. Just because you might be able to get a turning CnD one time doesn’t mean it will always connect other times; there are minor changes in where you are positioned and angled in every attack you do, it’s bound to have certain differences. CnD doesn’t have an infinite hitbox, no melee attack does. We notice it more with CnD because:

2. It’s an attack we care more about as opposed to auto attack, so we notice it more
3. It’s very hard to get into close melee range, and again, we notice it more with CnD because it’s a more valuable skill.

Did you see that there’s 2 circular CnD in that video? And read what I wrote to that? It used to miss but was recently ‘fixed’.
Your points 1-3 are nice but I don’t really see the connection to me or to the issue of missed CnD and also that I used to miss every moving mob/player in the past 2 years but now just occassionally do (read the TL;DR). Have been in wvw only few times since,
constantly missed a mesmer who probably was lagging, in some other small scale fights my CnD seemed to be ok.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

Jana.6831

But anyway – I made a new video for you guys, with some of the rest footage I had:
You can watch it in slow motion, there’s some circular CnDs in there as well. You don’t have to though; I officially don’t care.

https://youtu.be/9DAtHtnUQaU

And I do hope you also know why I’m avoiding the forums.
“You can’t turn, why do you even try? And all of us miss(ed) but it’s (was) no bug.”
You guys, eh?!

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

alchemyst.2165

Did you see that there’s 2 circular CnD in that video? And read what I wrote to that? It used to miss but was recently ‘fixed’.
Your points 1-3 are nice but I don’t really see the connection to me or to the issue of missed CnD and also that I used to miss every moving mob/player in the past 2 years but now just occassionally do (read the TL;DR). Have been in wvw only few times since,
constantly missed a mesmer who probably was lagging, in some other small scale fights my CnD seemed to be ok.

Again, there are micro-differences in each CnD. You’re not gonna be in the exact place each “circular” CnD. Some of them will miss.

Connection and latency changes throughout the game. Hitboxes might become better or worse. There are lots of variables. If anything, this is a game-wide issue, not just a CnD issue. Going back to my second point, you notice it more because it’s an important skill. If you’re missing autoattacks you don’t notice it as much, as opposed to shadowshot’s melee portion, where this exact same thing happens.

in Thief

Jana.6831

Again, there are micro-differences in each CnD. You’re not gonna be in the exact place each “circular” CnD. Some of them will miss.

Again: I am able to pull it off nowadays in most of the cases. My win chance fell 30% and even further after something was changed (anet never told what – there’s nothing in the patchnotes as well) – So do you think that was a bug (as I was able to hit before that patch), or do you really think that players should be required to hit a moving target at angle x at 0,001 ms?

Connection and latency changes throughout the game. Hitboxes might become better or worse.

I already said so. I have pingplotter running if I suspect lags. I know that wvw lags regardless.

There are lots of variables. If anything, this is a game-wide issue, not just a CnD issue. Going back to my second point, you notice it more because it’s an important skill. If you’re missing autoattacks you don’t notice it as much, as opposed to shadowshot’s melee portion, where this exact same thing happens.

So? That means I have to deal with it and it’s a learn to play issue if I’m not at angle x and hitting at 0,001 ms?
Do you get what I’m getting at?

ETA:
I never said that these bugs only affects thief (but they hurt single target D/D the most), I never said that my issues were only because CnD had a too small hitframe. I didn’t say the reason for the circular miss was that CnD bugged – in my last video I said: Didn’t work the past 2 years, should work now. In this video I said that the hitbox of the mob might be bugged as I’m more frequently missing Centaurs (,Sons of Svanir and Acondas) (had no lag with the centaur, btw).
What you are doing right now is to justify a bug and make a learn to play issue out of it.
Theorycraft how it would affect game play if the hitframe of CnD were too small. That with moving targets, with wonky hit-angles and with lag and so on.
Then theorycraft how camera might affect the hit chance of whatever skill you’re using.

And with that I’m out again – I won’t read any answers.

(edited by Jana.6831)

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Jana I love your threads ! Each time it makes me wonder about conspiracy theories. Same for philosophical things such as “Do god exist ? I can’t prove he doesn’t so I’m stuck”.

Maybe you are right and we are all fools…

My personal opinion is : I don’t know why you want to find the game at fault when you make those awkward moves with your cam. It seems you are asking for it. I’m not expecting my car to have a perfect control if I shake the wheels left and right ^^

anyway see you in 2-3 months

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Jana.6831

Maybe you are right and we are all fools…

I guess so, that’s why I’m rage quitting this forum all the time ;)

My personal opinion is : I don’t know why you want to find the game at fault when you make those awkward moves with your cam. It seems you are asking for it. I’m not expecting my car to have a perfect control if I shake the wheels left and right ^^

anyway see you in 2-3 months :)

The problem is that I used to play like I’m playing and all of the sudden that wasn’t possible anymore. I have over 20k hours on thief – but you’re right the centaur double CnD was ‘risky’ on purpose – I’m not always playing like that (as seen in my last video).

But to explain my brief comeback: @ alchemyst (since you obviously never read what I write in OPs or other walls of text :P) :
I used to miss my CnD in PvE, PvP and WvW whenever my target moved – my laast complain about that issue was the following situation: I’m standing in a distance of the mob who’s triggered and running towards me – I pull my OH dagger, and the mobs just runs traight through it without being hit. Do you think that is a camera issue? A lot of the other issues are because of the camera, some are because line of sight issues – but I never said it was just one issue, just that moving targets and running mobs were my pet peeve.

in Thief

alchemyst.2165

I never said it was a learn to play issue, and I did read your posts. I’m just saying it seems like you’re taking coincidence and making it seem like a bug is all. But yes, if you want to hit a target you have to hit them while facing them. Maybe it is a bug, but it just doesn’t look like that with what you’re displaying.

Here’s an example of what I mean: Let’s say I’m trying to cloak off of a mob. (These aren’t actual numbers, just numbers for demonstration) I can hit them when I’m facing 40 degrees away from them at a certain distance, but at 41 degrees I won’t be able to at that distance. It’s little differences like that that seem to be causing this issue for you, because in a lot of those clips you’re either turned almost adjacent to the target or positioned past the target. The hitbox of the skill doesn’t reach behind you. Since you already position yourself like that, you’re bound to get a few instances where you miss from extending too far. That’s what I’m trying to get at.

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

How can it be too late? It’s an enemy that’s standing there
Yeah, lets hope you’ll remember it!

ETA: I’m using CnD+steal once in that video. In that case you might be right but, like I already said, the game’s servers were lagging while I recorded that footage, so it could be my too early precast or lag. In all other cases (forget it, I still have no idea what you could possibly mean) I just draw CnD while in range of the mob, the precast/too late shouldn’t matter.

No, the first few mins I watched (was at work and couldn’t finish the rest) you were cnd pretty much on top or inside the mob. Ofc you will miss the hit because it’s 130 range in front of you, not a radius around you. I think you know this already but you keep doing it.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: NuhDah.9812

NuhDah.9812

But anyway – I made a new video for you guys, with some of the rest footage I had:
You can watch it in slow motion, there’s some circular CnDs in there as well. You don’t have to though; I officially don’t care.

https://youtu.be/9DAtHtnUQaU

And I do hope you also know why I’m avoiding the forums.
“You can’t turn, why do you even try? And all of us miss(ed) but it’s (was) no bug.”
You guys, eh?!

Unrelated to the tread, but I enjoyed the footage&music. Thumbs-up