Any dev's opinion on thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

Q:

Title says it. Is there any developer caring to share their opinion on thieves? Balanced? Needs fixing? Needs buffs? Both? It would be nice to hear a dev talk about a thief.

I am a teef
:)

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

They know nothing because none of the devs play a thief.

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

Most recent Red post was from a CC appologizing about the delay on making sure a thread go stickied.

Anet Can we please have more feedback in the Thief Forum from your developers
with sugar and a cherry on top

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Devs don’t play thief since it’s so underpowered. They only play OP classes like warriors and guardians.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

OP classes like necro, guardian, engi, ranger.

Thieves are looking like bottom of the barrel to me in spvp. I still prefer thief for wvw roaming.

In spvp our burst is not high enough to take out bunkers.
Stealth builds are fairly pointless because bunkers will win the point on a far point push and hold it while it may take thief over a minute to kill said bunker if he can at all.
Condi builds are a joke in comparison to necro or engi.

We can’t do anything with shadow arts build.
Burst is negated by bunkers and easily countered by necros and engis.
Condi is a joke.

Also, 4 reveal to boot. I am pretty sure anet gave up on this class a long time ago.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

OP classes like necro, guardian, engi, ranger.

Thieves are looking like bottom of the barrel to me in spvp. I still prefer thief for wvw roaming.

In spvp our burst is not high enough to take out bunkers.
Stealth builds are fairly pointless because bunkers will win the point on a far point push and hold it while it may take thief over a minute to kill said bunker if he can at all.
Condi builds are a joke in comparison to necro or engi.

We can’t do anything with shadow arts build.
Burst is negated by bunkers and easily countered by necros and engis.
Condi is a joke.

Also, 4 reveal to boot. I am pretty sure anet gave up on this class a long time ago.

even roaming we arent number 1 without a doubt. its arguable. i see mesmers wreck theives alot…engineers too sometimes ….even zerk guards do it.

in Thief

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

“OP classes like necro, guardian, engi, ranger.”

Which makes warriors, mesmers and elementalists the fair and balanced classes?

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Are you people kidding me? Thieves are nowhere near the bottom in sPvP. You’re starting to sound like the warrior subforum, complaining about how ANet hates them. We’re not the best nor the worst. I do urge you all to adapt to a condition build and try it out in sPvP, as that’s where the meta has shifted.

Ranking us from 1-8, 1 being Warrior and 8 being OP, I’d give us a solid 4. We’re pretty well balanced as it is, but most people seem to think that thieves’ place will always be heavy burst damage support, no matter where the meta goes.

So try a condition build. I guarantee that you’ll enjoy it.

in Thief

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

You’re starting to sound like the warrior subforum, complaining about how ANet hates them.

‘Tis true. I find it quite hilarious that every profession gets these sort of pity party type threads (it admittedly didn’t start that way, but devolved rather quickly) accusing the devs of hating them.

Developers do not hate professions. Why would you spend years designing, crafting and molding something from the depths of your creative soul, only to hate it? Software development is just not a world filled with hate. It is filled with excessive overtime, gallons of caffeine and customers that will always be passionately displeased.

Hate filled? No. Soul crushing? Yeah.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

warrior is 2nd to worst in spvp in my opinion. s/d is decent but not having much condi removal can hurt…i mean our best condi removal other than shadowstep is on stealth….stealth is bad in spvp and youlose caps if you decide to use it.

IMO the top classes for spvp are : (and these are changeable +1 or -1)

1- Guardian
2-Mesmer
3-Necromancer
4-Engineer
5-Ranger
6-Elementalist
7-Warrior
8-Thief

7 and 8 are interchangeable
5 and 6 are interchangeable
2 and 3 are interchangeable

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

warrior is 2nd to worst in spvp in my opinion. s/d is decent but not having much condi removal can hurt…i mean our best condi removal other than shadowstep is on stealth….stealth is bad in spvp and youlose caps if you decide to use it.

IMO the top classes for spvp are : (and these are changeable +1 or -1)

1- Guardian
2-Mesmer
3-Necromancer
4-Engineer
5-Ranger
6-Elementalist
7-Warrior
8-Thief

7 and 8 are interchangeable
5 and 6 are interchangeable
2 and 3 are interchangeable

You realize that sword 2 is a spammable Condi removal, right?

in Thief

Posted by: Marduh.4603

Marduh.4603

5 ini 1 condition. Spamable?

in Thief

Travlane.5948

yes i do. i just dont consider 2 condis removed for basically all of your initiative a “condi removal” build or trick or foundation etc. dont get me wrong its better than nothing but it kinda does nothing when it removes blind or vulnerability or cripple (most of which are only a few seconds long anyway) and bleed , burning, chill and the dmging ones remain. thats why i always won aganist s/d on my condi build bc after the first 10 seconds they run out and dont have enough to keep up.

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

5 ini 1 condition. Spamable?

I got this for you.

#InitiativeRegeneration

We have more than 5 sources of increased initiative regen. Use them.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

unless ur getting back 2 init per second on average i dont belive its enough to keep up.

2 extra per 10 seconds
2 extra per invis (basically every 5 seconds at best …more like 7-8)
3 extra per steal (2 per minute)

GIVEN: 16 seconds to regen 12 init.

takes 8 seconds or so to use all your initiative (generally speaking)
this means you get 3.25 full regens without add ons which means we have a total of 52 INITIATIVE that is spendable. now lets add in the 2 per invis lets say that happens every 8 seconds with s/d so tthats like 7 times per minute for another 14 initiative. add on 6 extra for 2 steals (3 each) for a GRAND TOTAL of 72 initiative.

now how does that break down to condi removal per minute?
well lets see the main skills are 5 3 2 right? rarely 5 but still. lets say per minute this happens

CND 1 or 2 times —- 12 init
FS about 7 —-- 21 init
LS about 7——- 14 init
IS about 7 —-— 21 init
SR about 7 —-— 14 init

this here is about 82 initiative a lil more than we estimated so this is pretty close to what happens per minute i think but obviously less in a real fight where people take their times etc. anyway thats only 7 condis gone per minute. 10 if u add shadow return on SS. so i personally dont consider this reliable.

this for you

#DoMath

in Thief

Travlane.5948

the particular build i run…and well for that matter most condi builds can add 7 condis on in the first 2-3 seconds.

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

the particular build i run…and well for that matter most condi builds can add 7 condis on in the first 2-3 seconds.

But they’ve completely blown their conditions on you initially. Bring Infusion of Shadow and stealth immediately afterward, then restart the fight and play smart while watching your conditions.

in Thief

swinsk.6410

1. Guardian, every team needs one to sit on a point.
2. Necro, aoe condi spam and lots of cc.
3. Engi, tons of aoe condi spam.
4. Ranger, lots of team condi and revives with spirit build, the new ranger meta.
5, Mesmer, best aoe burst in game.
6. Ele, can be decent bunker or decent burst. Solid all around class.
7-8. Warrior and thief, both can be burst or condi but burst no longer implies insta gib and both condi builds are a joke compared to necro and engi. While both can apply pressure to 1 target, the rest have of classes have way better team support.

I’m not talking about hot joins here. I destroy noobs in hot joins. I’ve 2 shorted guardians in hot joins because they are running some messed up build and don’t react fast enough.

In taking about playing tpvp. Thieves just aren’t that great anymore.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Travlane.5948

every CND = Blind + Vulnerability + Bleeding

i also keep poison up 80% of the time

and cripple twice per fight

and torment is up half the fight.

yes sometimes bleeding will get removed but with so many ways of going invis u reapply 5-8 stacks every 4 seconds.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

1. Guardian, every team needs one to sit on a point.
2. Necro, aoe condi spam and lots of cc.
3. Engi, tons of aoe condi spam.
4. Ranger, lots of team condi and revives with spirit build, the new ranger meta.
5, Mesmer, best aoe burst in game.
6. Ele, can be decent bunker or decent burst. Solid all around class.
7-8. Warrior and thief, both can be burst or condi but burst no longer implies insta gib and both condi builds are a joke compared to necro and engi. While both can apply pressure to 1 target, the rest have of classes have way better team support.

I’m not talking about hot joins here. I destroy noobs in hot joins. I’ve 2 shorted guardians in hot joins because they are running some messed up build and don’t react fast enough.

In taking about playing tpvp. Thieves just aren’t that great anymore.

i agree. my list is diff. b ut i take the best thief i ever saw the best guard i ever saw the best mesmer i ever saw and i try to grade them that way. not on average from what i see but the potential. if most people play a build to 75% potential and 100% would be overpowered but u wouldnt know it bc its rarely seen.

mesmer and ele can be way OP in spvp and wvw depending on who is playing them.

then again if they arent like that top .01% of players than its fine.

in Thief

Posted by: Marduh.4603

Marduh.4603

every CND = Blind + Vulnerability + Bleeding

i also keep poison up 80% of the time

and cripple twice per fight

and torment is up half the fight.

yes sometimes bleeding will get removed but with so many ways of going invis u reapply 5-8 stacks every 4 seconds.

1 burning>>all condition damage p/d thief.
d/d condition thief only for pve.

in Thief

swinsk.6410

But they’ve completely blown their conditions on you initially. Bring Infusion of Shadow and stealth immediately afterward, then restart the fight and play smart while watching your conditions.

If you are going to run a shadow arts build in tpvp you are not going to be contesting a point or pressuring an enemy in stealth. In wvw or hot joins, sure. Tpvp, no.

You give up too much damage and rely on stealth for healing condi removal which allows the other team to cap points on you and simply ignore you. The other team wants you to stealth because that means they are putting pressure on you and you can’t do anything beneficial in stealth.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

If you are going to run a shadow arts build in tpvp you are not going to be contesting a point or pressuring an enemy in stealth. In wvw or hot joins, sure. Tpvp, no.

You give up too much damage and rely on stealth for healing condi removal which allows the other team to cap points on you and simply ignore you. The other team wants you to stealth because that means they are putting pressure on you and you can’t do anything beneficial in stealth.

I beg to differ. I have my playstyle and do quite well in tPvP as a condition thief running in Shadow Arts. You may not believe me, or will ask for a video, but my job with my build isn’t to roam. I know fully well what it means to bunker a point and I do a kitten good job at it when all odds are stacked against me (5v1, anyone?). When you learn to play the way I do, you’re just as effective in stealth as you are out of it, and sometimes you have to adapt to maintain control of a point using only the initial stealth to remove 2 conditions at a time. I don’t find tPvP any more challenging than some hot join servers. People will sit there and attempt to kill you the entire match at their home point even if they have it while your team keeps the other two points. Call it a troll build, but it’s the way I play in tPvP, and it’s highly effective.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

oh sorry i was strictly thinking wvw for some reason. now it makes a lil more sense. tpvp/spvp build lol .

in Thief

swinsk.6410

I beg to differ. I have my playstyle and do quite well in tPvP as a condition thief running in Shadow Arts. You may not believe me, or will ask for a video, but my job with my build isn’t to roam. I know fully well what it means to bunker a point and I do a kitten good job at it when all odds are stacked against me (5v1, anyone?). When you learn to play the way I do, you’re just as effective in stealth as you are out of it, and sometimes you have to adapt to maintain control of a point using only the initial stealth to remove 2 conditions at a time. I don’t find tPvP any more challenging than some hot join servers. People will sit there and attempt to kill you the entire match at their home point even if they have it while your team keeps the other two points. Call it a troll build, but it’s the way I play in tPvP, and it’s highly effective.

The second you stealth your enemy starts gaining control over the point. All he had to do is outlast you through a few stealth and he takes the point from you. If he knocks you off a few times, even easier. You obviously don’t know what bunkering a point means. It means holding the point as yours while enemies are assaulting it and not letting it go neutral or over to enemy control. Any thief who fights in stealth will let the point go neutral and eventually they will cap. Thus, losing points for your team. While guardian, ranger, ele, engi can do the same thing you do but much better without having to let it get decaped. Most teams have a bunker for two points. They don’t care if your troll build spends the whole match not decaping but keeping thier bunker on point. You are the one getting trolled not them. Because that means your team only has 4 other people to hold 2 points while thier team continuously holds the point you are assaulting. They have 4 people and they only need to hold 1 point. I would accept this argument if at any point you ever gained control over the point, but you don’t.

Obviously, you don’t understand tpvp. Maybe you play with 20% group or something. Condi thief had absolutely no place in tpvp, especially not trying to solo a point. If anything they would be useful in a team fight, but not as useful as s/d or burst.

Do you see any condi thieves in the setup on any of the high ranked teams? Nope. There is a reason for that. You see burst and s/d and occasionally the 0/30/30/10/0 d/p far point pusher build. Which is as burst as you can get with survivability. The only way that build works though is with a teammate to help you, because like I said earlier. You can’t contest a point in stealth. So you need a teammate to do that whole you’re making use of your shadow arts.

I’m not the best thief, but not the worst. Highest I’ve been ranked is like 656. Normally I’m in the 95% to low 900’s. I have played against complete noobs and über amazing premades. I’ve played every build in tpvp on thief and hot joins. I’m not telling you because I’m guessing. It’s from experience.

Just another noob thief…

(edited by swinsk.6410)

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

The second you stealth your enemy starts gaining control over the point. All he had to do is outlast you through a few stealth and he takes the point from you. If he knocks you off a few times, even easier. You obviously don’t know what bunkering a point means. It means holding the point as yours while enemies are assaulting it and not letting it go neutral or over to enemy control. Any thief who fights in stealth will let the point go neutral and eventually they will cap. Thus, losing points for your team. While guardian, ranger, ele, engi can do the same thing you do but much better without having to let it get decaped. Most teams have a bunker for two points. They don’t care if your troll build spends the whole match not decaping but keeping thier bunker on point. You are the one getting trolled not them. Because that means your team only has 4 other people to hold 2 points while thier team continuously holds the point you are assaulting. They have 4 people and they only need to hold 1 point. I would accept this argument if at any point you ever gained control over the point, but you don’t.

Obviously, you don’t understand tpvp. Maybe you play with 20% group or something. Condi thief had absolutely no place in tpvp, especially not trying to solo a point. If anything they would be useful in a team fight, but not as useful as s/d or burst.

Do you see any condi thieves in the setup on any of the high ranked teams? Nope. There is a reason for that. You see burst and s/d and occasionally the 0/30/30/10/0 d/p far point pusher build. Which is as burst as you can get with survivability. The only way that build works though is with a teammate to help you, because like I said earlier. You can’t contest a point in stealth. So you need a teammate to do that whole you’re making use of your shadow arts.

I’m not the best thief, but not the worst. Highest I’ve been ranked is like 656. Normally I’m in the 95% to low 900’s. I have played against complete noobs and über amazing premades. I’ve played every build in tpvp on thief and hot joins. I’m not telling you because I’m guessing. It’s from experience.

Yet I used this build in Team Legacy when we were neck in neck with Team Paradigm. I know that I lost the point in stealth. It takes 5 ticks to lose a point, which means I can stealth four times if I’m playing my cards right. It’s purely situational, but you don’t know everything about tPvP. Sorry. Maybe the times have changed with the condition meta, but back in the day when I had my team, we did well, considering the name we made for ourselves. :P

My build isn’t centered around stealth. I have other forms of condition removal, and stealth is a “breather” mechanic for when things get too heated. If I gain initial control over their home point, they don’t get it back. That’s why this build is a tournament build.

(edited by Viking Jorun.5413)