As a P/D (wvw'er)...

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

I am only level 71 on my thief and play really just WvW on my toons.

going P/D so far with mostly carrion. Will get dire or rabid later no.

The off-set I was running was D/D for awhile so basically dagger 3 gets a big benefit from the plus condition damage.

However, I really like d/p instead for the gap closer on d 3 and the blind field. Feel like it makes fighting in melee easier.

You think I am really gimping myself by going d/p for my melee set for d/d?

That one person.

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: yski.7642

yski.7642

Nope, d/p is the superior weapon set. The only thing d/d does better (and not by much either) is burst damage, but for everything else d/p is simply better.

Lucky for me I like burst. For some reason I’ve never liked d/p :P

EDIT: In case you didn’t know, using heartseeker in black powder gives you stealth.

Learn the ways of the mighty Deathleaf: http://www.youtube.com/user/YskiTheBanshee

(edited by yski.7642)

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Nope, d/p is the superior weapon set. The only thing d/d does better (and not by much either) is burst damage, but for everything else d/p is simply better.

Because d/p is for kittens.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Spyder.9713

Spyder.9713

Because d/p is for kittens.

^^

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

@OP:

A lot of the responses to your thread, do not really answer your question correctly. They are just focusing on the best weaponset in general. In your case, you are a condi P/D build. In that case, you really only have 2 options for your other weaponset, D/P or shortbow. D/P if you want access to on demand stealth/ HS “sprints”. shortbow if you want access to more mobility or are fighting groups.

Great and thanks for the info. I really like d/p as a compliment. dagger 3 is a great gap closer. while I am condition build, Dagger is nice to finish off someone and/or there are times where you are forced into melee (or at least I am).. Was worried I was giving up too much by not going d/d and spamming dagger 3 to benefit from the condition build

That one person.

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

D/p #3 is just all around great. #3 is increible, #4 for interupting heals and channels, and #5 for kitties who stand still. Spamming #5+#2 is just lame unless you need to enter stealth for shadow protector or condi clearing. D/d is has 1 useful skill, d/p has 3 useful skills for power builds that is( not including aa or hs or stealth attack because they’re both d/x which seems pointless to compare the same mh weapon). If you wana spam DB best of luck to ya.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

As a P/D thief you should be running condition gear and have 30 in SA. That being said any other weapons set but p/d wont work well for you. Nevertheless u need a melee weapon set to search for those pesky thieves who get downed in shadow refuge. D/D or D/P will do the job. D/D while having Death blossom, which is condition damage skill wont work as an actual combat weapon with typical p/d build exept for downed stealthed players search. D/p however will do the same, providing you with close to perma stealth access via Black powder + hs for those momens when u wish to regenerate some hp or safely gtfo. But as i said d/p is for kittens. I dare you not to use d/p. Ever.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

I’ve seen people use d/p as the offhand for p/d but it was usually to stack stealth when in trouble. I’m sure you can make it work but shortbow is f’ing awesome and i’d never give it up on any build.

Heads up though, use carrion or dire…. rabid isn’t good for condi thieves like it is for engineers or necros. Good Luck!

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Use d/p in your offhand with perplexity runes for quick access to stealth on demand as well as confusion on interrupt!

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: yski.7642

yski.7642

Oh, my bad. Missed the condition build part despite reading the whole post like twice. I shouldn’t post when tired

Learn the ways of the mighty Deathleaf: http://www.youtube.com/user/YskiTheBanshee

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I run P/D + Short bow. Full dire with the condition consumables (condition damage from toughness and vitality and +40% condition duration). Runes is all about personal preference. Sigils are corruption and agony. Build is 0/0/30/20/20. Condition removal, heal and blind on stealth, ricochet, caltrops on evade and pain response.

You survive for an infinity use to the high health pool and the toughness and all the AoE blind on stealth. You also deal a good amount of damage by applying poison, bleeds and torment. You can run venom share if in a group and therefore add some team utility.

Melee isn’t really a problem because of p/d #3 and AoE blind on stealth. You should have blinding powder for some extra stealth after you’ve used #3 to stack even more conditions and keep dropping caltrops.

Melder – Thief

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

What if an opponent just kites you? With 30 in Trickery, you can have Steal on a 21 seconds cooldown. But that’s about the only gap-closer you have with P/D.

As a P/D (wvw'er)...

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

What if an opponent just kites you? With 30 in Trickery, you can have Steal on a 21 seconds cooldown. But that’s about the only gap-closer you have with P/D.

That’s the downside of not having a 1200 ranged weapon… But this build is about kiting the enemy, blinding them and evade while giving more bleeds. You could use shadow step or infiltrators arrow to close the gap. Other than that you can use your heal to stealth or blinding powder – you’re also a ranged condition stacker you know

Take a look at this build. The bleeds doesn’t last that long, but they tick for 150 each per second, which is pretty good. You need to constantly enter stealth and evade to stack the bleeds, but it works wonders! You have insane survivability and very, very good dps.

30 points in trickery doesn’t really help much since you’re not dealing any physical damage. Steal is something I only use to get the stolen ability (looking for thieves, necros, rangers or engineers).

Melder – Thief

(edited by Geiir.7603)