Assassin's Equilibrium ignored by patch.

in Thief

Posted by: morbidillusion.2759

morbidillusion.2759

I know we’re all breathing a sigh of relief that blinks didn’t get hosed but I find it to be essentially a slap in the face that after ANet said that all of the stability abilities and traits were being retuned to fit their role in the new stability changes, Assassin’s Equilibrium was, most likely, ignored but in the worst case… intentionally nerfed into the ground?

Assassin’s Equilibrium gives 1 stack of stability for 1.5 seconds. Other traits, such as Indomitable Courage (Guardian), actually received a duration boost in response to the stack changes even though it was also changed to grant multiple stacks of stability (3 in this case).

The fact that they didn’t even bother giving AE more stacks of stability is honestly insulting and I don’t think ANet spent a second of their time thinking about AE this patch.

The trait is still terribly misplaced but I believe there was an opportunity to mend the issue of 2 seconds of stability being very short and rarely useful in a build that dodges so often by keeping it at a single stack but boosting the duration so that when a 30 Acro thief does actually attack from stealth they carry around a little CC insurance for a brief time. The trait is bogus either way but kitten it should at least be 3 stacks for 1.5 seconds.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I assumed no one used that trait before patch and wouldn’t use it after the patch. ;o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: apocom.3172

apocom.3172

It’s like last refuge. Move along, here is nothing to see.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Considering the way Stability works now, I think it might be fair to adjust it to gaining 1 short stack on dodge instead.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Considering the way Stability works now, I think it might be fair to adjust it to gaining 1 short stack on dodge instead.

This is actually a nice idea.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

in Thief

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Idea already taken by “revenant” class… sorry…

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Both Thieves and Rangers have traits that grant Vigor on the use of heal skills? /shrug Professions don’t “own” these kinds of things.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It would be nice but unfortunatly they rather give that to Revenant to help allow them to replace us. They also get retaliation on dodge to go with it. ._.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

It’s like last refuge. Move along, here is nothing to see.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

See my sig.

123456789banana

Anet balance team doesn’t have an effin clue.

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Assassin’s Equilibrium gives 1 stack of stability for 1.5 seconds. Other traits, such as Indomitable Courage (Guardian), actually received a duration boost in response to the stack changes even though it was also changed to grant multiple stacks of stability (3 in this case).

The fact that they didn’t even bother giving AE more stacks of stability is honestly insulting and I don’t think ANet spent a second of their time thinking about AE this patch.

I disagree. Think about it for a minute and look at the patch as a whole. Most, if not all, stability buffs has 3s duration then it falls off. Now ask youself, how often can you strike from stealth? That’s right, every 3s (4s in PvP but who in PvP uses AE?).

Now take a look at how often each skill can apply stability? Some of them has a cooldown that is longer than 30s. I mean sure Dolyak Sig gets 10 stacks, but that signet has a base CD of 60s. A Thief can theoretically cancel a CC approx. every kitten

now after considering all these, do you still believe that AE needs a buff?

EDIT: By the way, Indomitable Courage has a base of 90s CD.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

(edited by Sir Vincent III.1286)

in Thief

Sagat.3285

I disagree. Think about it for a minute and look at the patch as a whole. Most, if not all, stability buffs has 3s duration then it falls off. Now ask youself, how often can you strike from stealth? That’s right, every 3s (4s in PvP but who in PvP uses AE?).

Now take a look at how often each skill can apply stability? Some of them has a cooldown that is longer than 30s. I mean sure Dolyak Sig gets 10 stacks, but that signet has a base CD of 60s. A Thief can theoretically cancel a CC approx. every kitten now after considering all these, do you still believe that AE needs a buff?

A stab stealth trait in a evade line as a GM too… It matters on why should we go that deep in it,how does it helps us,how is it a fair trade off,the thief will die if hit too much even if the cc is not activate. He will not bother getting hit period,support thief exists but tank nah.

Something like gain 3 stacks of stab when you run out of endurance 15 sec ICD, traps grant stab+protection on use since they can’t be thrown and are melee would make moe sense, this trait doesn’t make sense to me. Just the on stealth part bugs me jus wut… most don’t know where you are it’s really feels like an extra unnecessary cushion,foes will AA when you stealth what AA has CC??

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Now take a look at how often each skill can apply stability? Some of them has a cooldown that is longer than 30s. I mean sure Dolyak Sig gets 10 stacks, but that signet has a base CD of 60s. A Thief can theoretically cancel a CC approx. every kitten now after considering all these, do you still believe that AE needs a buff?

A stab stealth trait in a evade line as a GM too… It matters on why should we go that deep in it,how does it helps us,how is it a fair trade off,the thief will die if hit too much even if the cc is not activate. He will not bother getting hit period,support thief exists but tank nah.

I’m not talking about whether it is viable to take AE or not. I’m simply responding to the OP that the decision made about AE is justified when you look at the over all picture.

Something like gain 3 stacks of stab when you run out of endurance 15 sec ICD, traps grant stab+protection on use since they can’t be thrown and are melee, this trait doesn’t make sense to me.

I agree, it doesn’t make sense. However we are talking about AE within the context of the patch — its other issues are better discussed in other thread.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

morbidillusion.2759

EDIT: By the way, Indomitable Courage has a base of 90s CD.

This is a really bad case of apples to oranges and a fair amount of straight up wrong. The only sources of stability that last 3 seconds or less are: rock solid, foot in the grave, and mesmer mantra. The mesmer mantra can be activated twice with no traits, breaks stun, gives 3 stacks TO ALL ALLIES NEARBY. Rock solid also effects nearby allies.

The only comparable source of stability is foot in the grave and even that lasts a full second longer and is, at the very, least placed in the proper tree for using death shroud.

Go ahead and look through the abilities for stability. They all grant stability to multiple people or break stuns some do both. AE gives 2 seconds of stability on stealth hit to a class that is pretty much dead without a stun breaker if they ever get CCed after they invest 6 points in a tree focused on surviving without relying on stealth.

Also, if you are able to CnD instantly after every revealed ends, you already win because you’re fighting the target dummies in the lobby. Your on paper example is ludicrous.

So to answer your question, yes, I believe one of the worst and least used grandmaster traits in the game (even though 30 in its tree is meta right now) needs to be buffed (but really changed all together).

Edit: And Indominable courage has a base CD of 72 seconds for the same reason AE lasts 2 seconds.

Edit 2: I’m just realizing that your post is perhaps only talking about PvE? If this is the case I have been trolololo-ed and I have no interest in anything you say. Go zerker and smash buttons and dodge. PvE. Yay.

(edited by morbidillusion.2759)

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Assassin’s Equilibrium —-→ Assassin’s Invigoration: Vigor on Attack out of Stealth?

Assassin’s Equilibrium —-→ Assassin’s Protection: Protection on Attack out of Stealth?

or even better

Assassin’s Equilibrium —-→ Assassin’s Cleansing: Clear a condition or two when Attacking out of stealth (icd?)

My point is this trait is pretty much useless, I’ve tried experimenting with it and found practically negative use for it. Best thing for anet to do is just replace the stability with a more useful boon.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

This is a really bad case of apples to oranges and a fair amount of straight up wrong. The only sources of stability that last 3 seconds or less are: rock solid, foot in the grave, and mesmer mantra. The mesmer mantra can be activated twice with no traits, breaks stun, gives 3 stacks TO ALL ALLIES NEARBY. Rock solid also effects nearby allies.

The only comparable source of stability is foot in the grave and even that lasts a full second longer and is, at the very, least placed in the proper tree for using death shroud.

Go ahead and look through the abilities for stability. They all grant stability to multiple people or break stuns some do both. AE gives 2 seconds of stability on stealth hit to a class that is pretty much dead without a stun breaker if they ever get CCed after they invest 6 points in a tree focused on surviving without relying on stealth.

Did you bother looking at those skills’ cooldown at all? Once those stability falls off, they have nothing left for the duration of the CD.

Also, if you are able to CnD instantly after every revealed ends, you already win because you’re fighting the target dummies in the lobby. Your on paper example is ludicrous.

Who says that you need CnD to go in stealth? Most, if not all, Thieves knows that there are many ways to go in stealth when we need to. However, that’s besides the point.

So to answer your question, yes, I believe one of the worst and least used grandmaster traits in the game (even though 30 in its tree is meta right now) needs to be buffed (but really changed all together).

You want it buffed or changed, yet you failed to justify why.

Now picture this, a P/D Dire set with 00266 build and Trapper Runes using AE.

Do you really want to buff that build?

Edit: And Indominable courage has a base CD of 72 seconds for the same reason AE lasts 2 seconds.

Ok, fine, let’s assume for a minte you’re right. Even if the stability granted by IC lasts for 10s, there’s still a long period of time between use while Thief can gain stability every time the Revealed falls off, which is every 3s.

Edit 2: I’m just realizing that your post is perhaps only talking about PvE? If this is the case I have been trolololo-ed and I have no interest in anything you say. Go zerker and smash buttons and dodge. PvE. Yay.

I’m talking about WvW, not PvE, where AE can be and have been used. Nobody I know uses AE in PvP — perhaps only you. :/

in Thief

Posted by: Rusc.4978

Rusc.4978

AE wouldn’t be the problematic element of that build, even if it were buffed.

Prosper

Brought to you by ArenaNet. Soon™.

in Thief

Sagat.3285

^The build you mention will be an another variation of condi thief with brand new weaknesses as a trade-off. This could create new a zerker thief with SoH, hey two builds created but wait if you go both SA and Acro with improvements bunker thief with loss of damage and not as oppressive as celes 3 builds!!!

The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Thief

morbidillusion.2759

Did you bother looking at those skills’ cooldown at all? Once those stability falls off, they have nothing left for the duration of the CD.

It was addressed. Those classes have far more options for surviving short of a single stun breaker. You’re a joke dude – they have nothing while their stab is on cooldown? Are you kidding me? What about the rest of the class?

You want it buffed or changed, yet you failed to justify why.

Except I did, it’s undeniably awful and the stealth attack mechanic is 6 points deep in the polar opposite tree.

If that build is broken its not because of AE, bro. Condi builds in general are extremely good because of the bunker meta and condis are good against the most popular point humper, cele rifle engi.

Ok, fine, let’s assume for a minte you’re right.

Assume that 80% of 90 is 72? Do you even care if you make sense?

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Care to elaborate?

in Thief

Posted by: pepper.6179

pepper.6179

lol 1.5 seconds gg

[SA]

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

I am going to think of this as an oversight. Too little information pointing towards straight up ignoring.

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Duration isn’t the problem of this trait but what you need to do to gain that boon vs what it should help you with.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in Thief

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

This is actually a nice idea.

nice ideas won’t be taken seriously by Devs

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

in Thief

Rusc.4978

Care to elaborate?

Sure!

P/D condi is—as far as I’ve experienced—problematic to fight because of their ability to camp stealth in between applications of conditions, allowing them to engage you and deal extensive attrition damage in a risk-free way.

However, your suggested trait spread of 0/0/2/6/6 limits their ability to benefit from stealth, and provides them only with stability upon exiting stealth and one condi cleanse every 3 seconds, Hide in Shadows excepted. While they would still have plentiful access to stealth from Trapper runes, they would have to engage in a generally riskier playstyle for P/D by relying on laying/triggering traps while getting no health regen from stealthing.

In my opinion, the balance problem with the build you proposed would be the synergy with the Condition Damage/Toughness/Vitality (Dire) stat spread and Trapper Runes, which would provide them with an extensive amount of condition damage with absolutely no points placed into a condition damage traitline.

Prosper

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Care to elaborate?

Sure!

P/D condi is—as far as I’ve experienced—problematic to fight because of their ability to camp stealth in between applications of conditions, allowing them to engage you and deal extensive attrition damage in a risk-free way.

I disagree with the “risk-free way”. Going for CnD is a risk.

However, your suggested trait spread of 0/0/2/6/6 limits their ability to benefit from stealth, and provides them only with stability upon exiting stealth and one condi cleanse every 3 seconds, Hide in Shadows excepted. While they would still have plentiful access to stealth from Trapper runes, they would have to engage in a generally riskier playstyle for P/D by relying on laying/triggering traps while getting no health regen from stealthing.

Again I disagree about “riskier playstyle” because Acrobat line gives the Thief buff duration, more health and extra dodge.

In my opinion, the balance problem with the build you proposed would be the synergy with the Condition Damage/Toughness/Vitality (Dire) stat spread and Trapper Runes, which would provide them with an extensive amount of condition damage with absolutely no points placed into a condition damage traitline.

Um, 00266 has 6pts into condition damage trait line. I’m confused.

Currently this build is not problematic since they can be countered by CC. However if AE were to be buffed for longer duration, then we’ll have a big problem with this build. How do counter it now?

in Thief

Sagat.3285

Care to elaborate?

Sure!

I disagree with the “risk-free way”. Going for CnD is a risk.

Again I disagree about “riskier playstyle” because Acrobat line gives the Thief buff duration, more health and extra dodge.

Currently this build is not problematic since they can be countered by CC. However if AE were to be buffed for longer duration, then we’ll have a big problem with this build. How do counter it now?

Boon hate,ranged specs,the usual conditions(cc and dots), condition transfer,cleansing. It doesn’t need duration increase it needs a rework,what’s the point of having it while you get off stealth firing Sneak Attack ? Are you in a zerg,in a ranged cc fest??

The Dhuumfire thread

in Thief

Rusc.4978

My mistake. My tired brain thought that Deadly Arts was condition damage, not duration, and that does undermine my point. However, I still think that if one build is the entire reason for not buffing an otherwise lackluster trait, than the problem is with the build, not the trait.

I’m going to try to rephrase my opinion, and hopefully clarify it:

1. That build is, in my opinion, a riskier playstyle for P/D because of the nature of its stealth. The Thief must enter melee range and try to proc CnD—which has an obvious animation—or an enemy must trigger a trap. Because most players will have access to a ranged weapon, they may not do that, making stealth denial a much stronger possibility in small-scale engagements.
  2. Even if AE is buffed or changed, that build can still susceptible to CC. The Stability from that trait only lasts 1.5 seconds currently, and Revealed lasts a minimum of 3. Also, as previously mentioned, they may not be able to restealth as easily.
  3. Because that build does not have the health regen that gives the 2/0/6/0/6 variant its sustain and reset ability, it is more susceptible to burst or possibly being “out-condi’d” if the Thief is denied stealth.

Does that make more sense?

Prosper

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

My mistake. My tired brain thought that Deadly Arts was condition damage, not duration, and that does undermine my point. However, I still think that if one build is the entire reason for not buffing an otherwise lackluster trait, than the problem is with the build, not the trait.

I’m going to try to rephrase my opinion, and hopefully clarify it:

1. That build is, in my opinion, a riskier playstyle for P/D because of the nature of its stealth. The Thief must enter melee range and try to proc CnD—which has an obvious animation—or an enemy must trigger a trap. Because most players will have access to a ranged weapon, they may not do that, making stealth denial a much stronger possibility in small-scale engagements.
  2. Even if AE is buffed or changed, that build can still susceptible to CC. The Stability from that trait only lasts 1.5 seconds currently, and Revealed lasts a minimum of 3. Also, as previously mentioned, they may not be able to restealth as easily.
  3. Because that build does not have the health regen that gives the 2/0/6/0/6 variant its sustain and reset ability, it is more susceptible to burst or possibly being “out-condi’d” if the Thief is denied stealth.

Does that make more sense?

I am not sure you understand how trapper runes work.

One gets stealth from setting the trap. It does not have to be triggered, In other words I can set a trap 1000 Units away from the enemy and this will give stealth. You immediately attack and load on 5 stacks bleed from sneak attack. That stability will ensure your sneak attack not countered by a daze/knockback and the like.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Rusc.4978

One gets stealth from setting the trap. It does not have to be triggered, In other words I can set a trap 1000 Units away from the enemy and this will give stealth. You immediately attack and load on 5 stacks bleed from sneak attack. That stability will ensure your sneak attack not countered by a daze/knockback and the like.

Nope, apparently I did not. I looked them up on the wiki before I started posting about them, but I missed the note saying it was on setting the trap, and not triggering.

I’m doing great on this thread, but let’s try again.

I think my misunderstanding of Trapper runes actually proves my original point that the build is problematic with or without AE. This is mostly due to the nature of Trapper runes and their synergy with Dire stats. I stated this before, but my foundation for that conclusion has changed: Trapper runes limit counterplay, while Dire gear helps provide excellent condition damage.

And again, if we’re using one build as the reasoning for not buffing an underused trait, the problem is with the other aspects of that build, not the trait.

That being said, the 1.5 second window for CC needs to/should remain for Thieves in general, and the build still doesn’t possess the in-combat sustain from going fully into Shadow Arts, so it can’t recover as easily from burst. The build doesn’t completely lack counterplay with or without an AE buff, it’s just not abundant.

Prosper

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Nope, apparently I did not. I looked them up on the wiki before I started posting about them, but I missed the note saying it was on setting the trap, and not triggering.

I’m doing great on this thread, but let’s try again.

I think my misunderstanding of Trapper runes actually proves my original point that the build is problematic with or without AE. This is mostly due to the nature of Trapper runes and their synergy with Dire stats. I stated this before, but my foundation for that conclusion has changed: Trapper runes limit counterplay, while Dire gear helps provide excellent condition damage.

I agree that Trapper Dire with 00266 build is already problematic and giving the build access to a buffed AE will even make it even more of an issue.

And again, if we’re using one build as the reasoning for not buffing an underused trait, the problem is with the other aspects of that build, not the trait.

But the way to curve the power level of the build includes tweaking the traits. And the obvious choice is not to give this build a trait with a potential to cancel any counter play.

That being said, the 1.5 second window for CC needs to/should remain for Thieves in general, and the build still doesn’t possess the in-combat sustain from going fully into Shadow Arts, so it can’t recover as easily from burst. The build doesn’t completely lack counterplay with or without an AE buff, it’s just not abundant.

The most effective counter to this build is immobilization and with AE buffed to last longer than 1.5s(actually 2s due to having 6pts into Acro) will remove this window of opportunity because the Thief can go back in stealth approx. every 4 seconds. The current duration for AE is the correct choice IMO.

in Thief

Posted by: Rehero.7821

Rehero.7821

While I personally never used the trait I do believe that it merits more stacks. The allure of the trait was after expending a resource of some kind, whether that is initiative or a cooldown, you then didn’t have to worry about the following cc. Currently however, if you choose to use a stealth to gain benefit from the trait you are still at risk due to multiple instances of incoming cc. I wouldn’t find it too outlandish for it to have 3-5 stacks for the duration seeing as how it only lasts for 1.5 seconds base (2 with 30% from acro line). This just brings the trait back in line with what it was intended for pre-stability changes, if there is a build that causes balance issues with the trait taken it more than likely isn’t the traits fault.

I don’t particularly like that the trait even exists but it is our only reliable/consistent stability and it is a shame to see it neglected.

Edit: I should also mention that I dislike the idea of an increased duration just due to how it is already in the duration line. I just feel that for that short duration we need to have more assurance that we won’t get cced hence more stacks.

(edited by Rehero.7821)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

if there is a build that causes balance issues with the trait taken it more than likely isn’t the traits fault.

If the trait caused the imbalance, then it is the trait’s fault.

Edit: I should also mention that I dislike the idea of an increased duration just due to how it is already in the duration line. I just feel that for that short duration we need to have more assurance that we won’t get cced hence more stacks.

If you insist. I really doubt that they will ever change it though.

in Thief

Posted by: Rehero.7821

Rehero.7821

If the trait caused the imbalance, then it is the trait’s fault.

If the trait caused it then yes it is the trait’s fault. However in the cases listed above the first thing I would look at is the ease of maintaining stealth while also upkeeping damage on the target. The trait is a grandmaster for a defensive line. A short duration stability isn’t the root of the problem if they are able to out damage your self sustain with conditions while also maintaining invisibility while devoting themselves that heavily to something defensive.

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Why don’t we just make it give 25 stacks of stability for 1 second

For fun, let’s see how many of you can guess if I’m joking or not.

in Thief

yolo swaggins.2570

1 second doesn’t make any difference so what does it matter? lol

Liaison for [Teef]

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

lol, that’s no different than what it was before.

in Thief

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

I kind of wish that they’d given this style of trait the Mantra of Stability treatment. Since the stability is such a short duration, it seems sensible to boost it up to three stacks.

Or was this found to be an abusive trait in PvP scenarios? I don’t think I’d ever heard any serious discussion of it before now.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

I kind of wish that they’d given this style of trait the Mantra of Stability treatment. Since the stability is such a short duration, it seems sensible to boost it up to three stacks.

Or was this found to be an abusive trait in PvP scenarios? I don’t think I’d ever heard any serious discussion of it before now.

There was a discussion about AE when ArenaNet first swapped it with Hard to Catch (another stupid trait).

AE used to last 1.5 seconds with 6 pts in Acro. They’ve buffed it since to last 2s with 6pts in Acro, which I believe is pretty balance.

Now that they’ve changed how stability works, the balance from the last update is now broken. AE is now crap again.

However the problem lies on how ArenaNet perceives stability and it seems that they find it to be a real problem thus they made it as it is now.

The problem with increasing the stacks, it will defeat the whole purpose of making it a one-time use, it will function as it was like before — which I believe it’s not what ArenaNet intends to accomplish; and increasing the duration will also pose the same problem since Thief can reapply stability roughly every 4s.

Thus, it is my opinion that how it is now is what balances it. Is it good enough to spec to? Of course not. In fact, nothing in the Acro GM that really stands out.

However, if AE is buffed, whether increase in stack or duration, I am positive that many P/D Dire set will take it into consideration because I know I would be one of them.