Awesome Thief Changes

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Troublesome.5670

Troublesome.5670

So in the live stream, the devs promised “good thief changes” then when they release the pre-patch notes for discussion they completely forget to even include thief in the mix! haha That pretty much sums up Anets attitude towards thieves…just a litte memo lost in the break room. Then when they later “edited” us in, this is what we get:

Thief:
Much like the engineer, we wanted to take this opportunity to tone-down excessive poison stacking through poison fields.
•Choking Gas: Reduced the poison per pulse from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.

Awesome changes indeed! <3

I really hope you guys are just holding something spectacular back for later!

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Yeah. Anet please… First of all you’re not giving us anythinggggg????? All you’re doing is making a practically useless poison even more useless. The only reason I use it is for the weakness, and even THAT is pretty bad.
Give us good stuff now! Im done with all the frivolous nerfs!

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Thief: 60% Nerfs, 35% Bugfixes, 5% Buffs.

Btw: I cant remind me that, multiple Choking Gas fields work together. Only one after another.

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: BryBry.8409

BryBry.8409

Yeah. Anet please… First of all you’re not giving us anythinggggg????? All you’re doing is making a practically useless poison even more useless. The only reason I use it is for the weakness, and even THAT is pretty bad.
Give us good stuff now! Im done with all the frivolous nerfs!

“poison is useless” HAHAHAHA

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

It really is a complete random guess what ANet pulls out of their hat next. I trust them to literally do anything.

Their actions make no sense, have no connection to actual game-play and generally aren’t based on player feedback or suggestions.

You could role a pair of dice and perform a rain-dance and make an equally accurate prediction as someone who writes a detailed, in-depth analysis of the class.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Anet at least gives players the oppertunity to show off their skills trough a class that is being harnessed by nerfs and player negativity. But the only game. That gives the real negative side of being the criminal thief. You must be brave to play the dishonored thief.

But seriously. If you are playing thief, as you are posting in this forum, you already got attached to the profession. And won’t quit playing no matter how hard the nerfs strike.

As some players are afraid to admit, they somtimes feel safer near an experienced thief in pvp or Spvp than any other profession. Thiefs pose a real threat if played by the right hands. So if we really got nerfed, our skills couldn’t give up with our foes. And thats when thief will lose its players.

Untill then I trust Anet to give us variation and diversity to compete with other classes and to keep GW2 fun!

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Pretty sure you all are blind.
It is in fact good changes!

Instead of nerfing multiple skills in one patch, only one is being nerfed.
Instead of a giant nerf, it’s a small nerf.
Instead of nerfing crucial skills/traits, it’s a random skill that’s not really going to have much of an impact… (o.O did anyone see it coming? are we really going to QQ about a little poison duration reduction… compared to other nerfs we had…)

I don’t know guys, but I think it some good changes… Lol, it’s almost like you guys are expecting buffs to be handed out to us…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

Maybe it’ll be a new medium armor skin that isn’t some kind of trenchcoat and/or stripper uniform.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

Thief: 60% Nerfs, 35% Bugfixes, 5% Buffs.

Btw: I cant remind me that, multiple Choking Gas fields work together. Only one after another.

yeah but 3 fields. 100% of full init. for a large stack of poison? not OP at all.

@ TEAGAN. good point about %s. quite accurate.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Instead of nerfing crucial skills/traits, it’s a random skill that’s not really going to have much of an impact… (o.O did anyone see it coming? are we really going to QQ about a little poison duration reduction… compared to other nerfs we had…)

I don’t know guys, but I think it some good changes… Lol, it’s almost like you guys are expecting buffs to be handed out to us…

It’s funny in a sad way, but I have to agree with this. How long have we been asking for no changes (positive or negative). At least we know we’re getting close to not being nerfable anymore when it’s choking gas that’s getting nerfed.

Tldr: agreed it could be way worse than this.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

It’s funny in a sad way, but I have to agree with this. How long have we been asking for no changes (positive or negative). At least we know we’re getting close to not being nerfable anymore when it’s choking gas that’s getting nerfed.

Tldr: agreed it could be way worse than this.

Regardless if we are unnerfable, people will continue to complain about thieves and arenanet will continue to nerf them BCUZ STELFF!!!

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Venomge.7142

Venomge.7142

this is just plain tragic.

Desolation [EU] – Thief

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Rassase.7943

Rassase.7943

thief is bottom tier, i remember when i enjoy playing thief, now all i have is 2 viable builds. it’s boring.
please anet do something.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

No, don’t ask for more changes. Those changes will just be more nerfs. Make do with what we have now.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

No, don’t ask for more changes. Those changes will just be more nerfs. Make do with what we have now.

I agree with Auesis here. Stay on the down low guys, the fact that we aren’t being mentioned is a good thing for the most part.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: TundraQualle.8204

TundraQualle.8204

Thief

Weapon Skills

Detonate Cluster: This skill now deals 18% less damage to keep it less effective than Cluster Bomb against a single target while still being more effective against groups of enemies. This skill now applies 2 stacks of bleeding instead of 1 stack.

Disabling Shot: This skill now has an initiative cost of 5, up from 4. Damage has been increased by 7% to compensate.

Choking Gas: This skill now applies 3 seconds of poison per pulse, down from 5 seconds.

Heartseeker: This skill now deals 9% less damage to foes over 50% health, 4% less damage to foes with 50%—25% health and 8% more damage to foes below 25% health.

Shadow Strike: This skill now applies 1 stack of torment for 8 seconds, down from 2 stacks of torment for 5 seconds.

Unload: This skill now has an initiative cost of 4, down from 5.

Healing Skills

Skelk Venom: This skill now has a cast time of 1/2 second, down from 1 second. This skill now affects the next 5 attacks, up from 4 attacks.

Utility Skills

Signet of Agility: Updated the tooltip to better represent its effect.

Ambush: This skill now summons the thief ally at the trap location if the user is not in combat and summons the thief ally at the user’s location if the user is already in combat.

Needle Trap: This skill now more reliably hits foes. This skill now has a recharge time of 25 seconds, down from 30 seconds.

Tripwire: This skill now has a recharge time of 25 seconds, down from 30 seconds.

Traits

Deadly Arts VII—Improvisation: This trait will now only attempt to recharge skill types that have a skill currently recharging. This trait now also increases damage from stolen skills by 10%.

Acrobatics XI—Assassin’s Reward: This trait now gains 8% benefit from healing power, up from 5%.

dubious source: http://pastebin.com/dmACCzwx

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Well… I was too hopeful and spoke too soon…
Lol at traps and venom changes… buffs OP…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Tremain.4623

Tremain.4623

Improvisation is huge.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

I like the Improvisation trait buff, but for the rest I say there aren’t many good changes there.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Improvisation change is the best change by far.

I predict post-patch, for PvP at least, 10/30/0/0/30 (current meta)

and perhaps 25/30/0/0/15, or 20/30/0/0/20, both with Improvisation, and probably Shadow Refuge/Shadow Step/Blinding Powder, vying for competition for D/P traits.

Other alternative would be the 4-sig might stack thief with Improv.

In general, I think these changes are pretty good. Perhaps not direct buffs to Thief, but good for the health of the game. Less spam, more skillful play required.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

Improvisation buff could be massive, it will at least make my troll trap build even more annoying.

From the shark necro elite i guess the elite trap is sadly real though, and of course the thief guild can still not carry underwater weapon for no reason whatsoever.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

If that improvisation one is true it’s going to become (or at least percieved as) OP pretty quickly and nerfed again. Imagine all of the deception utilities suddenly on a 35 (or less) second CD (well, at least shadowstep and SR). I can already hear the QQ. 20/20/0/0/30 steal builds perhaps.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Improvisation and Heartseeker buff/nerf is great.

HS nerf/buff will make it better for those who use it tactically other than those who just spam it mindlessly.

Melder – Thief

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Interceptor.2653

No way those notes can be real. Five-venom builds are going to far too powerful with a free reset on Steal.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Travlane.5948

auesis….. this is pathetic and sad. but true.

anet has driven us to perspectives/comments like this. so very very sad and oppressed but so very true. :/

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Travlane.5948

Disabling Shot: This skill now has an initiative cost of 5, up from 4. Damage has been increased by 7% to compensate.

7%?

try 75% to compensate. anet isnt very good at math.

im seriously done with stupidity like this.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Travlane.5948

No way those notes can be real. Five-venom builds are going to far too powerful with a free reset on Steal.

right. 10 0 30 0 30 full condi/heal and mug heal. wow. thats awesome if true. lets cross our fingers

this wouldhelp with the disabling shot bs.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

7%?

You don’t use disabling shot for the damage. 7% seems arbitrary, true, but the skill is INCREDIBLY strong, especially given the init buff from a couple patches ago.

Also, Improvisation change will be OP as all hell. So many ways to just break it.

I’m sad with this power-creep. All buffs…few real nerfs (which is what is needed for most professions). The arms race continues.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Fade.7658

Fade.7658

I remember a little while ago when a dev posted that they wanted input again under the balance section. I almost spit my soda out from laughter when I read that. The last time they asked for that, it was a joke.

I seriously can’t wait for Anet to get competition, so they might actually seriously balance things, and not this mickey mouse crap we get every time.

edit: Sadly, the leaked notes are 90% likely to be real. I have no hope for real, intrinsic changes that are needed.

(edited by Fade.7658)

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Travlane.5948

7%?

You don’t use disabling shot for the damage. 7% seems arbitrary, true, but the skill is INCREDIBLY strong, especially given the init buff from a couple patches ago.

Also, Improvisation change will be OP as all hell. So many ways to just break it.

I’m sad with this power-creep. All buffs…few real nerfs (which is what is needed for most professions). The arms race continues.

so tell me this…is it stronger than 4 secs of invulnerability? (no it only lasts 3 secs if spammed)

is it stronger than 5 secs of block (no it only has 3 secs)

does it allow you to get away? (no each only pushes you back abuot 200-250 range)

does it do much dmg (barely any… even in full zerk its only a couple/few hundred)

does it give long cripple? (no only like 1.5 seconds)

do other classes have both weapsets on cooldown for 3 secs of dodgign? (NOlol that would be so bad…..eventho we sacrifice all attacks if we spam it)

so there is nothing OP about the skill no matter HOW you look at it. there is no argument. to say this is op you would have to nerf dozens of block/invuln skills and other long evade skills like blur. they dont even have a drawback. b ut thieves lose all initiative if we go for a full 3 sec dodge. get real.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Reikou.7068

so tell me this…is it stronger than 4 secs of invulnerability? (no it only lasts 3 secs if spammed)

does it allow you to get away? (no each only pushes you back abuot 200-250 range)

does it do much dmg (barely any… even in full zerk its only a couple/few hundred)

do other classes have both weapsets on cooldown for 3 secs of dodgign? (NOlol that would be so bad…..eventho we sacrifice all attacks if we spam it)

so there is nothing OP about the skill no matter HOW you look at it. there is no argument. to say this is op you would have to nerf dozens of block/invuln skills and other long evade skills like blur. they dont even have a drawback. b ut thieves lose all initiative if we go for a full 3 sec dodge. get real.

Yet another PvE thief yammering about things he has no clue about. This is literally why we can’t have nice things in GW2.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

If that improvisation change goes through, I will actually give a venom/condi build a decent shot. With 5 venoms and 30 in trickery, you could use the venom heal and elite every 20 seconds. I’m not sure of runes/sigils yet, but this is probably what I would go for:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAqYVnkE1aaoJmmwfaChrgT59gsGLzS7xN1gxEA-TkAgyCrIaS1krJTTymsNNXA

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Auesis.7301

These leaks occur far too often and turn out to be accurate for the most part. I think this is probably the real deal.

Remember the “big things” we were promised? This is probably it or at least one of them (something else not mentioned here). It is intensely strong. So many possibilities when considering all the utility types we have.

Generally, this all looks solid. Baby steps to solving some problems eg. P/P. Full thoughts here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1yjdsw/leaked_balance_patch_notes/cfl1hxo?context=3

Also Reikou, ignore Travlane. He whines in pretty much every thread ever, gets shut down and then persists with the same points that were already disproven in other threads. There is nothing you can do to change his views. I gave up hope a while back.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: cyyrix.6105

cyyrix.6105

The improv trait change looks awesome. We don’t have to worry about cooldowns on weapon skills, so it never really made sense to have cds on the utility skills. Much more consistent now.

Cyyrix | Marypoppins Deathsquad [mds] | Team Riot [RIOT] | Blackgate

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Interceptor.2653

These leaks occur far too often and turn out to be accurate for the most part. I think this is probably the real deal.

Remember the “big things” we were promised? This is probably it or at least one of them (something else not mentioned here). It is intensely strong. So many possibilities when considering all the utility types we have.

If so, they are out of their kittened minds. The possibilities with a five-venoms build are strong enough that I probably wouldn’t even miss having a stunbreaker.

My goodness, the others are pretty strong too, even though we don’t have Elites/Heals to match everything. Signets would be quite powerful, to the point where you could build around activating Signet of Malice for the heal/effect and then getting it off cooldown immediately thereafter.

If they aren’t fake notes, I’ll hope that they just contain a “gotcha” somewhere that’s not immediately obvious.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Travlane.5948

Yet another PvE thief yammering about things he has no clue about. This is literally why we can’t have nice things in GW2.

im a very good and experienced thief…actually.

in the sense of what disabling shot does. evades and gives cripple. thats it. nothing OP about it. people just want us to be easy bags…bunch of QQ babies.

so rather than deny my points…u just call nub. doing that is actually…nub. basically your only point is “nananana boo boo” ? c mon …come correct brah

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Travlane.5948

The improv trait change looks awesome. We don’t have to worry about cooldowns on weapon skills, so it never really made sense to have cds on the utility skills. Much more consistent now.

would be a nice boost to power line. right now its only taken for the +250 power or +300 if ur desperate enough.

having som enice traits to choose is gr8 too.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Fade.7658

Fade.7658

They’ll probably put a CD on Improvisation (or a % chance to recharge said utilities) if it goes in as-is. Run Sleight of hand for 21 second steal CDs, and that puts Shadow Refuge/Shadowstep/Blinding Powder on a 21 CD.

I doubt they’ll let those be abused as much as will be possible with the new Improvisation. It’s essentially tying your utilities to your steal for CDs. That would essentially explain why they are nerfing shadowshot. You could stack torment even faster (2 shadowshots back to back using a steal + Skale Venom = 10 stacks of torment, not even adding Residual venoms into it.)

Edit: I generally run Shadow Refuge and Shadowstep, and having 2 of each back to back if you use your steal judiciously would be enough to start the whines within a day of patching.

(edited by Fade.7658)

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Auesis.7301

Or, they’ll bump Steal back up to 45. I don’t think attaching a secondary cooldown to a skill that already uses a cooldown would be very intuitive. They were emphasising the new Rune/Sigil cooldown changes to feel much smoother (much less internal processes to mentally keep track of).

If they don’t do that, I can see them moving it to GM in a following patch and bringing down Residual Venoms (possibly combining it with Quick Venoms).

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Reikou.7068

in the sense of what disabling shot does. evades and gives cripple. thats it. nothing OP about it. people just want us to be easy bags…bunch of QQ babies.

so rather than deny my points…u just call nub. doing that is actually…nub. basically your only point is “nananana boo boo” ? c mon …come correct brah

Experienced? Probably. Good? Not by what you’ve tried to say in your comments.

Normally I’d do a writeup about why you’re wrong, but this time I think I’ll just listen to Auesis’ advice and not waste my time.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Dee Jay.2460

I don’t really care for the minor buffs and nerfs here and there.Disabling Shot is probably going to be most noticeable.

Improvisation will be nice, no doubt, possibly even OP. We’ll have to wait and see.

But what really annoys me is that REAL Thief problems like:

• Last Refuge
  • lack of condition removal outside of Shadow’s Embrace.
  • little/no sustain outside of Shadow Arts and evade-spam.
  • huge amounts of utility piled into stealth.
  • etc.

Are still ignored. Like not even acknowledged…..just completely ignored as if ANet had NO IDEA they are even a problem.

You know why nobody could predict these changes? Because they make no sense. They are completely random and don’t follow any logic or feedback.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Reikou.7068

I don’t really care for the minor buffs and nerfs here and there.Disabling Shot is probably going to be most noticeable.

Improvisation will be nice, no doubt, possibly even OP. We’ll have to wait and see.

• Last Refuge
  • etc.

Are still ignored. Like not even acknowledged…..just completely ignored as if ANet had NO IDEA they are even a problem.

You know why nobody could predict these changes? Because they make no sense. They are completely random and don’t follow any logic or feedback.

You could try running a non-SA build and you’ll see that almost all your issues are resolved…

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Nah, patch notes always have a random thief nerf thown in that was not only never discussed by Anet anywhere prior, but was never asked for by even Thief haters.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

I mostly see cheesy exploitations of the improv change, I’m really not a fan of a change like this. Bad players will try to stack more burst together for an all or nothing approach, and top players might have to stop taking basilisk venom to keep the odds of regenerating utilities at 100% so they can time steal to suit situational needs. BUT…. lyssa is thief meta (need BV to use it) so who knows at this point.

Nothing to bring s/d back here =/

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Travlane.5948

Experienced? Probably. Good? Not by what you’ve tried to say in your comments.

Normally I’d do a writeup about why you’re wrong, but this time I think I’ll just listen to Auesis’ advice and not waste my time.

only one way to find out im in gamenow lets set it up!

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Travlane.5948

I mostly see cheesy exploitations of the improv change, I’m really not a fan of a change like this. Bad players will try to stack more burst together for an all or nothing approach, and top players might have to stop taking basilisk venom to keep the odds of regenerating utilities at 100% so they can time steal to suit situational needs. BUT…. lyssa is thief meta (need BV to use it) so who knows at this point.

Nothing to bring s/d back here =/

i see more variety being used like ambush trap. i really like this change. ith ink its a good one to bring more buidls into competitive play

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: Anirri.4156

Anirri.4156

Its funny i play my thief more then any other class and love EVERY MOMENT of it. and honestly the “nerfs” dont effect me much i find ways around them. And before you call me a noob or any thing like that. i am lvl 80 and have been for a while. i have managed to solo troll when no one was running train …lots of dodging and some close calls but managed.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Dee Jay.2460

• Last Refuge
  • etc.

You could try running a non-SA build and you’ll see that almost all your issues are resolved…

So wait, I have the ability to remove all types of conditions outside of stealth?

I have access to frequent Blinds as a trait, outside of stealth?

I have a massively increased run-speed outside of stealth?

I have substantial passive healing outside of stealth (lol @ Assassin’s Reward)?

Because if I do, do tell because I’ve clearly been missing out.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Travlane.5948

• Last Refuge
  • etc.

So wait, I have the ability to remove all types of conditions outside of stealth?

I have access to frequent Blinds as a trait, outside of stealth?

I have a massively increased run-speed outside of stealth?

I have substantial passive healing outside of stealth (lol @ Assassin’s Reward)?

Because if I do, do tell because I’ve clearly been missing out.

right on. we need other things like

dodge roll = -1 condi
6 init spent = -1 condi
each signet removes 2 condis
each trap triggered removes 3 condis
steal removes 2 conditions

basically things that dont revolve aroudn stealth.

Awesome Thief Changes

in Thief

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

It is pretty hilarious that they forgot the thief.. then later when they remembered they threw up a quick nerf. Because we are JUST like the engineer right?

Pathetic.