Best Rune of Strength Alternative

in Thief

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Pretty simple, which is the best alternative for D/D or D/P in WvW for these runes? (100g for 6 runes, lol wish me luck)
Also are Traveler still a viable option or the damage loss is to much for the 25% speed?

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in Thief

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Pack runes are solid tho theyre better with sword builds. You could try taking executioner and pack runes with you dagger build instead of HK. Hoelbrak is ok as well. But there definitely is a reason strength runes are so expensive

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

(edited by Carpboy.7145)

in Thief

Posted by: foste.3098

foste.3098

Runes of the scholar for pve are always better.

For wvw runes of the pack are quite good in the sense that they give raw power.
The +30% swiftness is really good if you have the adept minor trait in acrobatics, not to mention they give a better uptime of fury than furious retaliation (the 4th rune bonus is comparable to thrill of the crime).

The thing with strenght runes is they are not really worth it unless you have 5 in shadow arts and a quick access to stealth (so off hand dagger is the name of the game).
Just cose they are the ‘be all end all’ dps runes at the moment doesn’t mean you absolutely have to take them, especially if your build does not naturally have might stacking (again 5 in shadow arts).

see no evil ,until i stab you

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Depends on how much might you build, as they multiply that by 1.5. For Wvw Hoelbrak might be an alternative, -20% condition duration could be a good trade.

Every stack of might adds 1.5% damage. Scholar add 10% when health > 90%, Strength adds 7%. The Ferocity on Scholar would add another 3% damage, so if Strength runes add 4 stacks, which they will when you generate 8 without them, they’d match.

in Thief

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Yeah if i was to build somehing it would be problably a SA build. Never tryed Sword build though, any example of a good S/D build (I prefer S/D to S/P in most situations, since I’m used to it from sPvP)?

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

I think that a Full Zerk (with MAYBE some Valkyrie pieces) with Traveler Runes can be okish for a 2 6 6 0 0 build. Take Mug to compensate the loss of damage (instead than Fleet Shadow). If you reach 50% Crit Chance without foods you can also opt for taking Executioner instead than Hidden Killer.

For Sword builds, runes of the Pack are a very solid alternative to Strength.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

I think Hidden Killer is no longer that good at all due to the Ferocity nerf. As enemies start to panic around their 50% the Heartseeker spam damage increase is probably more important than Hidden Killer.

Plus, a full zerk with 6 in Critical Strikes + Fury has like what, 70-80% crit rate?

I myself have Strength Runes, but it does seem like Hoelbrak runes to be a good alternative.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

in Thief

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

Strength isn’t as good for thieves as it is for some other classes that generate might more easily than us. But they’re still pretty amazing.
Hoelbrak were mentioned. The poor man’s Strength, and like strength there are probably better alternatives for thief.
Pack runes were mentioned, as were Scholar.
After those, there are a bunch of alternatives you can try out if you don’t want to be quite so cookie cutter. Eagle, Citadel, Ogre, Rage, probably others. None are as bleeding-edge as Strength or Scholar, but they won’t break your bank and are still effective.

in Thief

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

Strength isn’t as good for thieves as it is for some other classes that generate might more easily than us. But they’re still pretty amazing.
Hoelbrak were mentioned. The poor man’s Strength, and like strength there are probably better alternatives for thief.
After those, there are a bunch of alternatives you can try out if you don’t want to be quite so cookie cutter. Eagle, Citadel, Ogre, Rage, probably others. None are as bleeding-edge as Strength or Scholar, but they won’t break your bank and are still effective.

Stop being so narrow-minded. If your build doesn’t generate might, then sure.
But a lot of thieves actually do run at least 15 points in acrobatics for power of intertia. With it alone it is worthwhile to run strength.
Well that’s talking wvw and pvp of course, in pve you probably don’t need acrobatics.

in Thief

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

But a lot of thieves actually do run at least 15 points in acrobatics for power of intertia. With it alone it is worthwhile to run strength.
Well that’s talking wvw and pvp of course, in pve you probably don’t need acrobatics.

And you can also use Thrill of the Crime. And you can also use Orrian Truffle Stew. And you can shortbow blast someone else’s friendly fire field. Yes, there are plenty of ways Thieves can generate Might. What I said was that it’s not as consistant as say a warrior using forceful greatsword, or an ele who can blast their own fire fields, or so on, and as a result there are other options that might serve you better if you’re using one of the dozens of viable thief builds that don’t use acrobatics. And you’ll notice that I said that even considering all this strength runes are still pretty amazing. So if that’s being narrow minded, so be it.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

And you can also use Thrill of the Crime. And you can also use Orrian Truffle Stew. And you can shortbow blast someone else’s friendly fire field. Yes, there are plenty of ways Thieves can generate Might. What I said was that it’s not as consistant as say a warrior using forceful greatsword, or an ele who can blast their own fire fields, or so on, and as a result there are other options that might serve you better if you’re using one of the dozens of viable thief builds that don’t use acrobatics. And you’ll notice that I said that even considering all this strength runes are still pretty amazing. So if that’s being narrow minded, so be it.

Well Power of Inertia is a first teir trait with one application of might for a pretty lengthy time actually. Combine that by going far enough into SA for might on stealth for 2 applications of might for quite a lengthy time as well, I believe around 15 seconds, coupled with the fact that a thief won’t go 15 seconds without evading or stealthing and finally the fact that strength runes proc might and thieves actually have a constant supply. In fact, I find it hard to not have might. But I reiterate, this is assuming a thief has at least PoI of the might on stealth trait, or both

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Uhm, you need more then just one stack of might to make it worthwhile, but Hidden Assassin, Power of Inertia, Sigil of Strength, Runes of Strength and you are looking at 12-18 stacks in combat. And there are yet other options, Thrill of the Crime, Bountiful Theft (steal from target), Signets of Power and Venomous Strength, Sigil of Battle. We are not without options to generate might, but if you do not generate a decent amount of might stacks already, Runes of Strength are not the best choice, especially given their price.