Best Runes for Thieves?

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: TearsFromtheMoon.7190

TearsFromtheMoon.7190

This is my first thief that I’ll be getting up to 80 and I tell you trying to figure out the best build for me is only second to me trying to figure out what runes to slot her with. She’s getting up to 80 here very quickly and I was thinking of going with a different rune set than what I was using before – which was Major Rune of the Thief (which might be upgraded to Superior if I don’t find something else I feel is better).

So the burning question that I have is – what do you guys think are some of the best Runes and possibly sigils for a Thief. I know it also depends on how we possibly play our thieves but I’m curious about it as a whole.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

PvE, PvP, WvW? A good all around choice I believe would be Scholar Runes since they are best for PvE, as well as good for PvP and WvW if you play a zerk build.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: nerovergil.5408

nerovergil.5408

Runes of Eagles

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: TearsFromtheMoon.7190

TearsFromtheMoon.7190

PvE, PvP, WvW? A good all around choice I believe would be Scholar Runes since they are best for PvE, as well as good for PvP and WvW if you play a zerk build.

I typically try to build my toons for both scenarios of PvE or PvP. This is the first time WvW has been encountered for me in a game exactly.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Humble Crow.3207

Humble Crow.3207

Scholars are a very solid choice, in almost any situation. Personally, I got too used to travelers to ever give them up.

For sigils, there are quite a few choices. If you’re using a power-based build, anything that buffs your damage if a good choice. I think the Sigils of Fire and Air are slightly more effective than Force, but Force is reliable. If you can, you should have a sigil of bloodlust/perception on a weapon that you can swap out for one with force or night when you hit 25 stacks. On-swap sigils are not ideal unless you run the same weapon set twice for quick pockets and an on-swap sigil. That said, I do sometimes use a bow with a sigil of energy, since if I swap to a bow mid-battle, chances are I’m running away. If not, an extra dodge is never a bad thing.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Aristho.3481

Aristho.3481

Traveler runes if you’re power based imo.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Interceptor.2653

Interceptor.2653

Putting in a vote for Ruby Orbs if you are power-based, and Rune of the Undead if you are going condition damage. Those are both really cheap options that will hold you over while you experiment. I don’t recommend locking in a set of expensive runes going into something that you are not really familiar with.

Scholar, Travelers, Lyssa, etc might be in your long-term future.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

Scholars are a very solid choice, in almost any situation. Personally, I got too used to travelers to ever give them up.

For sigils, there are quite a few choices. If you’re using a power-based build, anything that buffs your damage if a good choice. I think the Sigils of Fire and Air are slightly more effective than Force, but Force is reliable. If you can, you should have a sigil of bloodlust/perception on a weapon that you can swap out for one with force or night when you hit 25 stacks. On-swap sigils are not ideal unless you run the same weapon set twice for quick pockets and an on-swap sigil. That said, I do sometimes use a bow with a sigil of energy, since if I swap to a bow mid-battle, chances are I’m running away. If not, an extra dodge is never a bad thing.

sigil of air is a 3.1% damage increase and sigil of fire is a 1.8% damage increase assuming they activate immediately after cooldowns, force is always a superior option, and to OP, if you try and use the same build/armor for WvW and pve then youve already failed

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

Whenever I’m not sure, Ogre’s runes tend to be a very safe and very logical choice.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

IMO

PvE = Scholar
PvP = Scholar, Ogre, Lyssa
WvW = Scholar, Ogre, Lyssa, Divinity, Traveler

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

It really depends on what type of spec you are playing, condi or power.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

Traveler are the best.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Arkitech.9158

Arkitech.9158

Lyssa. Always Lyssa. Traveler or perplexity if Condi thief. But Lyssa is always a solid choice.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

For me: Lyssa Runes w/ Withdraw (Heal) and Basilisk (Elite).

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

Assuming offensive runes, I’d go power and crit damage, which presents two clear choices: Scholars and Ogre.

I’d say Scholars for PVE since it offers the highest DPS while above 90% health which you’ll eventually be able to maintain most of the time in PVE.

For PVP, it depends. If you’re a glass instant kill build, then obviously Scholars. Otherwise Ogre, since you’d then be fighting with less than 90% health most of the time, and that 4% boost will always be active. The rock dog can also come in handy sometimes.

EDIT: If you’re unsure how you want to play your thief, you can always just go with orbs until you’ve decided!

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Ludus Rex.1562

Ludus Rex.1562

Must be nice to have a choice, you goobers. The answer for Guardians is almost always Speed in sPvP and Traveler outside of sPvP.

Why won’t anybody give us 25% run speed? Why can’t we all just be friends?! =*(

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

Guardian can still out-run someone if they have swiftness? ;P

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

In terms of wvw:

Lyssa for the Precision, Boons and Condition cleanse
Divinity for the the Crit and Stats
Eagle for the Crit, Precision and extra Damage.
Scholar for the Crit, Power and extra Damage.
Traveler for the Crit, Stats and Movement speed. (a good All-rounder)

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Kande.1930

Kande.1930

Travelers. Frees up a utility slot for me so i don’t have to run that blasted signet of shadows.

Best Runes for Thieves?

in Thief

Posted by: Arkitech.9158

Arkitech.9158

Travelers. Frees up a utility slot for me so i don’t have to run that blasted signet of shadows.

signet of shadows active will save your kitten in a pinch though