Best wpn set for thief PVE

in Thief

Posted by: Sleeperlzx.7805

Sleeperlzx.7805

New to gw2 here May I know which’s the best wpn set for thief atm? S/p or d/d? Will be helpful if someone can link me to a guide over here! Thanks!

in Thief

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Sometimes before posting it is always nice to take a look at the first page in the forum section that is relevant. For instance this thief guide is a few posts below yours, when you posted this thread I apologize for my snarkyness though!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Guide-Book-of-Shadows-The-Thief-Handbook/first

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Thief

Sleeperlzx.7805

I did read that! But it is updated as of 9th Aug, I’m wondering after the sept update, which is the better one as of now..

in Thief

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Dagger cleaving twice doesn’t outdo sword cleaving thrice… not to mention Black Powder’s active defense on non-boss stacks and Pistol Whip’s evade and synergy with Signet of Malice.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in Thief

Sleeperlzx.7805

Well cause I see the recent threads are leaning towards D/D thief, and the backstab as well as heartseeker have awesome damage as compared to the S/P skillset

in Thief

Posted by: mompen.7952

mompen.7952

You are new, stick to Sword Pistol with Signet of Malice (SoM).

Nice blinds, evades and cleave paired with heal (SoM).

As someone has mentioned, D/D cleave is weaker then Sword cleave.

Shortbow offhand.

Kenny Shayde/Ken Shadowpaw-Theef|Spiteful Sithis-Necro|Kennyneer-Engi|Mr Hex Appeal-Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Shortbow offhand.

Wooo, my input means something. Information is here.

Dagger DPS is high because of Backstab and Heartseeker. The auto chain is pretty weak if you have to go through the entire chain.

If you could have a skill that you can cast, AoE, in between the auto 1-2 you could improve the 2target dps, but #2345 are all single target, bar Death Blossom and Bouncing Blades, both of which aren’t going to be good for power DPS.

Sword, on the other hand, cleaves to 3 targets as opposed to 2 and also has AoE on Pistol Whip. All other skills are going to be single target, bar Bouncing Blades.

Also, just to note: I have been camping double daggers recently because I’m too lazy to maintain my inventory swapping between 3 and 4 weapons being used (it’s really annoying).

Sword/Pistol is a great set for learning because you have access to evades, blinds, and cleaves.

The only downside is you can end up playing too defensive and just spam pistol 5 for permanent blind.

I used to do dagger/pistol when I was leveling up, but that was slow. You can also use Dagger/Dagger + Caltrops and spam Death Blossom after aggroing a lot of mobs. But only for leveling up.

in Thief

Sleeperlzx.7805

Shortbow offhand.

Wooo, my input means something. Information is here.

Dagger DPS is high because of Backstab and Heartseeker. The auto chain is pretty weak if you have to go through the entire chain.

If you could have a skill that you can cast, AoE, in between the auto 1-2 you could improve the 2target dps, but #2345 are all single target, bar Death Blossom and Bouncing Blades, both of which aren’t going to be good for power DPS.

Sword, on the other hand, cleaves to 3 targets as opposed to 2 and also has AoE on Pistol Whip. All other skills are going to be single target, bar Bouncing Blades.

Also, just to note: I have been camping double daggers recently because I’m too lazy to maintain my inventory swapping between 3 and 4 weapons being used (it’s really annoying).

Sword/Pistol is a great set for learning because you have access to evades, blinds, and cleaves.

The only downside is you can end up playing too defensive and just spam pistol 5 for permanent blind.

I used to do dagger/pistol when I was leveling up, but that was slow. You can also use Dagger/Dagger + Caltrops and spam Death Blossom after aggroing a lot of mobs. But only for leveling up.

Hmmm.. I’m already 80, so I run more of dungeons.. Guess I will try S/P then! Thanks for all the comments guys!

in Thief

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Here is a guide for Thieves running dungeons:

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/10/gw2-thief-pve-class-guide/

For open world PvE, S/P and shotbow are all you need

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

That is the speed runners guide. Correct for what it is, but PvE is not just speed running.

in Thief

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

Why can’t you use S/P and D/D and swap in a SB for blasts when needed? D/D for Bosses, S/P when you need the cleave. I fail to see how recommending a single set will help the OP.

in Thief

Posted by: sirrealist.1360

sirrealist.1360

Why can’t you use S/P and D/D and swap in a SB for blasts when needed? D/D for Bosses, S/P when you need the cleave. I fail to see how recommending a single set will help the OP.

Exactly this

in Thief

Posted by: sirrealist.1360

sirrealist.1360

Some cheap and effective builds, if you’re not rolling in gold and a master player:
More steal & init, my pref
More dodge & vit

You’ll want to keep SB on hand for utility. Replace sigil of night with something fun like sigil of frailty if you’re not running a night dungeon, and use the “powerful potion of X slaying” if you’re running the same dungeon repeatedly.

(edited by sirrealist.1360)