Bodyshot and Dancing Dagger?

in Thief

Posted by: Resouled.5614

Resouled.5614

Q:

Are these ever going to get changed? Because as it stands now they are almost never worth spending.. Let me explain for each weapon set.

Dancing Dagger:

D/D:
Why using a poor ranged cripple when you have a high damage gap closer? When people run they usually are already hurt too so heartseeker would make sense. It could slightly help out if the range was increased by a lot to catch opponents that are too far but let’s be honest don’t we have enough and better ways to catch them without using this skill?

S/D:
Again, infiltrator strike is way better at catching your opponent and even flanking strike is somewhat a gapcloser, so why would you use it? It still has use to slow someone again but then again only as last resort if you have infiltrator’s return up, and it’s too far for some flanking strikes and have no steal/other teleports. But again let’s be honest how often does that happen?

P/D:
A ranged weapon set build for conditions, well since it’s direct damage and most builds revolve around low initiative usage there’s no room for this skill really. But if your enemy is really too far and you haelve no options you might be able to slow him down with this, but then again.. There are so many cleanses/leaps and such people use it’s barely effective.

Bodyshot:

P/D:
As said before P/D is a condition set and will have no use for vulnerability and again has low initiative so can’t waste it.

P/P:
Waste of initiative, another unload will provide more damage. The only reason you would ever use it is when your party consist of burst players and they can’t stack it themselves.

This is by no means a qq or buff/nerf this thread, all I reallly want is to have an effective use for all my skills and not have to use certain skills as leftover filler because they are almost worthless. If you want us to spam less skills then give us the option to use more viable skills! Besides that if you compare these to infiltrator strike, flanking strike and blackpowder both of them are just plain boring and lack flexibility and an interesting mechanic.

So are these going to be changed or should we only spam the usual stuff?

I’m saying this mostly out a PvP/WvW POV btw.

[vE] Visceral Effect – Blue

in Thief

Posted by: Marduh.4603

Marduh.4603

Dancing Dagger over flamewall = Fireball.

Bodyshot always useless.

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Infiltrator strike can not be spammed…dancing daggers can be. Infil strike + dancing daggers together is a lot more effective at catching someone.

All is vain.

(edited by Excalibur.9748)

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I never use Dancing Dagger because it’s so unreliable, many times they are obstructed when there’s no obstacles and many other times they miss when the target is right infront of me.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

whos going to spend 4 init on DD that misses alot at ranged distance. :p id rather use nothing and give up than let myself be low on init and him know that.

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

whos going to spend 4 init on DD that misses alot at ranged distance. :p id rather use nothing and give up than let myself be low on init and him know that.

it’s 3 ini now. tho yea obviously you don’t want to put yourself in a position to get counterattacked.

All is vain.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

i would only use it if it were 2 init….personally. crap dmg. slow on distance. misses too much…..only really useable to tag mobs before you go down for rally

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

it would be nice if it was 2init, but i feel it is pretty useful right now. i’d rather the damage be upped or have it hit more reliably. it misses a lot on fleeing targets.

All is vain.

in Thief

Travlane.5948

u would rather use that then spend the extra init on headshot for the stun to stop them from using the heal/swiftness gainer as they flee? :P

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

u would rather use that then spend the extra init on headshot for the stun to stop them from using the heal/swiftness gainer as they flee? :P

you don’t have headshot on S/D set lol. does headshot really have a stun? I thought it’s an interrupt + daze.

edit: apparently it immobilizes NPCs as well.

All is vain.

(edited by Excalibur.9748)

in Thief

Travlane.5948

i was thinkin s/p :P sfrry was playign it a lil today! when i say stun i mean anything that rupts a skill . just my old school mmorpg jargon coming thru.

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

Dancing Dagger has its uses – the drop to 3 init was a good start, but in addition the ability should be instant cast OR the projectile speed increased (not both). The damage is laughable, it’s clearly a gap closing utility that has its place…it should just be more effective as such.

Body shot is in the realm of “permastupid” – the community has pointed out a dozen times at least, mathematically using the game designers rules, how worthless the skill is, and in patch after patch it remains unchanged.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I’d like to see the bounce removed from dancing dagger and the damage returned to its original value and now marks the target. To prevent spamming it can be given a rollover skill for 2 initiative, lets say “augury of death” (yeah I like linking thieves back to assassins) on a 15 second timer that’s an instant cast shadow step to the marked target which removes 1 condition. Sort of a reverse of infiltrators strike that can help D/D be played with a little more sustain. P/D also gets a gap closer as a set-up for its recently improved dual skill.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

dancing dagger is good for tracking mesmer in cloak =P just throw it a clone it bounce to him in cloak

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I still use Dancing Dagger sometimes, little more often after the ini reduction. It’s a fun skill although I think the 50% dmg decrease was still too excessive. They should boost it a bit or add… torment to it or something? :P Would make P/D more interesting.

Bodyshot on the other hand is a sad, pathetic skill.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

I recall running into a white mantle champion in a lower zone once. Nobody would help so I had to solo it. Had it not been for my ability to permanently cripple and kite with dancing dagger, I wouldn’t have been able to do it. Outside of that one weird instance, however, I agree dancing dagger is untouched. One of the reasons I prefer D/P. Everything on that bar has its time and its uses.

Body shot…eh…Probably would be better replaced with an empty skill slot so we don’t accidentally waste initiative on it lol.

in Thief

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Dancing dagger is an excellent PvE kiting skill. It’s a just a question of how patient you are waiting for the pistol auto-attacks to kill all the mobs you are kiting.

in Thief

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

S/D:
Again, infiltrator strike is way better at catching your opponent and even flanking strike is somewhat a gapcloser, so why would you use it? It still has use to slow someone again but then again only as last resort if you have infiltrator’s return up, and it’s too far for some flanking strikes and have no steal/other teleports. But again let’s be honest how often does that happen?

It happens all the time, and sometimes DD even kills my enmy off. The only rant I have about that skill is that is way too unreliable, they should make it’s pathing to work like
sb #1, then it would be fine I guess … if they increase it’s dmg a little.

Also it’s nice to slow down those annoying classes who are jumping around all the time (eles,thieves,engies) and it helps to connect LS more reliable.

in Thief

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Because most of the time thief has a better gap closer than DD, I suppose it’s more of an escape skill. Especially since it can / will cripple multiple enemies.

Edit: Body Shot is a projectile finisher and spike vulnerability. Whether either of those are useful is for you to decide.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

in Thief

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

Thought: What if one of the thieves new utilities is an etheral field? Dancing dagger would suddenly find use in applying confusion in fights other than against engineers.

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

I really didn’t like the initiative reduction on Dancing Dagger. The skill needs a somewhat faster projectile and more damage for general usage; without it the skill simply cannot compete with using gap closers.

Cheaper initiative costs just strengthen the perma-cripple abuse case in WvW, which is not where the skill needs power.

in Thief

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

Cheaper initiative costs just strengthen the perma-cripple abuse case in WvW, which is not where the skill needs power.

Well you allready can do that with DD Caltrops & Caltrops on dodge.

in Thief

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

I really didn’t like the initiative reduction on Dancing Dagger. The skill needs a somewhat faster projectile and more damage for general usage; without it the skill simply cannot compete with using gap closers.

Dancing daggers tracking is truly awful – there are time’s I’ll toss it at a guardian to eat his aegis while I’m moving to engage, and if they strafe for half a second the skill flies wide by 200-300r. It really does need a projectile speed increase, or to be instant cast.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

I’d probably use dancing daggers if it wasn’t slower than my grandma. Multiple times you try to use it for actually catching someone, and it can’t even catch them, so how are you supposed to with the cripple that never lands.

Body shot I like now, the duration is just too short to let me get full use out of it. 3s vulnerability? Can barely do anything in that window.

The great forum duppy.

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

cripple spam is the only thing that can catch a roaming warrior, don’t hate.

All is vain.

in Thief

Excalibur.9748

I’d probably use dancing daggers if it wasn’t slower than my grandma. Multiple times you try to use it for actually catching someone, and it can’t even catch them, so how are you supposed to with the cripple that never lands.

Body shot I like now, the duration is just too short to let me get full use out of it. 3s vulnerability? Can barely do anything in that window.

you use the gap closers to close the gap…then you spam DD and never let him out of its effective range which is indeed a lot shorter than 900 since you need to take into account projectile speed.

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: hamsteak.1368

hamsteak.1368

if the duration of the vuln on body shot was increased then it’d be better… but it could potentially be op since it gives 10 stacks… maybe the stacks could be reduced to 5 and the duration increased to 8-10? idk

Auger Claw (PvE/Spvp) – Thief
Notalkingplz (PvE/Spvp) – Guardian
Rough Trade (PvE)/Urok Ashpaw (Spvp) – Engineer