Broken Stealth. Common issue.

in Thief

Posted by: Aeranima.2853

Aeranima.2853

Thief stealth skill is broken in so many ways. I’m trying to be flexible, using different builds instead of running hardcore meta builds as thief but seriously; thieves and mesmers, engineers and even rangers (?) must have the same problem I am speaking of. People still locking target on you while you go stealth. Still there’s no way to have an honest battle with a necro for example which drains your hp while in stealth just because he kept your target locked before entering stealth. This saddens me so much. Why is this occuring anet? Is this intended? If so, then this thread is legit and deserves to stay and raise attention to this topic.

Xifix | Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Sounds like a reversal of before now. Before you guys were perma stealth now there is a way to hit u you stealth :o Btw, do you still take damage in aoes while stealth?

in Thief

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

Yes. An AoE skill doesn’t even need a target to do its thing (there may be exceptions, of course). Stealth just makes you invisible; you don’t cease to be there.

The OP appears to be describing a cycled or channeled spell effect that will continue to cycle through its routine whether the target remains visible or not.

On the face of it, IMO, stealth should break targeting, and any effect that would logically need an active target to continue its effect. Then again, I haven’t plotted out how overpowered that might be—and it very well might be.

in Thief

Posted by: Callynn.1684

Callynn.1684

Young Karka can see through my invisibility as a Mesmer, but I have never heard of this in pvp.

Force is violence, the supreme authority from which all other authorities derive.

in Thief

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Some skills, if activated before you stealth, will continue to fire even when you stealth. This is because these skills are not a chain of single attacks but it is a channeling attack type that isn’t interrupted when the enemy stealthes.

Karka’s missile barrage is an example, the bird attack rangers (or Norn?) use is an example, the wind riders can hit you with their homing beam when they fired before you stealthed, etc.

Breaking target isn’t the issue here because the skill needs a target only when activated – as soon as it starts it just continues.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

in Thief

Aeranima.2853

On the face of it, IMO, stealth should break targeting, and any effect that would logically need an active target to continue its effect. Then again, I haven’t plotted out how overpowered that might be—and it very well might be.

Well it’s not fair for people using stealth that the skill cycle continues. Going stealth should interrupt targeting/skills in use. Now I can see the reason for this being intended if it is — because IRL I wouldn’t stop shooting at a target if it goes invisible because I’d still locate it for 1-3 seconds after stealth. But GW2 doesn’t have this “IRL Realistic Human Reaction” thinking. Targeting an invisible target for 5-10 seconds (Shadow Refuge) isn’t cool for thieves or some other profession with stealthiness abilities. (Or being stealth’d by others)

Xifix | Thief

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

When a necro is life draining you in stealth hit him with tactical strike using sword main hand.

This will end his life drain and daze him.

I suggest 30SA to regen hp in stealth. Improves survivability a lot.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Shojen.2764

Shojen.2764

This is what I like:

When a necro is life draining you in stealth hit him with tactical strike using sword main hand.

Instead of calling “OP” or “This isn’t fair…” respond with a way to defeat said annoyance.

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Yea alot of people know that when your in stealth channel skills still follow the thief while in stealth. I see mesmers with scepters do it alot or rangers.

Should it stop the cancel if you go in stealth realistically yes, I don’t feel its game breaking that it doesn’t.

If I was running glass and no pts in SA with no regen in stealth it would maybe bother me a bit more.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Thief

Aeranima.2853

This thread is for discussing the fact that the game is programmed to follow-target into stealth. Not discussing ways to avoid it like we’re noobs who are getting killed while in stealth.
AoE’s are suppose to hit everything within the cirkle while single target attacks are supposed to be interrupted by going in stealth. It’s not game-breaking. It’s an exploit just like the previously fixed elementalist lightning-target exploit.

Xifix | Thief

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

This thread is for discussing the fact that the game is programmed to follow-target into stealth. Not discussing ways to avoid it like we’re noobs who are getting killed while in stealth.
AoE’s are suppose to hit everything within the cirkle while single target attacks are supposed to be interrupted by going in stealth. It’s not game-breaking. It’s an exploit just like the previously fixed elementalist lightning-target exploit.

Or its a bug perhaps

Also maybe should change the thread title to get good responses instead of you “Having a Bad day” which wont draw in people to have a good conversation.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Thief

Posted by: Drist.9807

Drist.9807

Good to know that I’m not the only one with this problem. Disappointed to know that it is a problem. I was fighting against a guildy in sPvP and he kept attacking me through stealth (mesmer). I thought it was just him but rangers, necromancers, and eles were doing the same thing after i was already in stealth. And it wasn’t just CD stealth it was in refuge duration as well :/

Master Serephix [PRO] – Lv. 80 Thief
Dragonbrand [Formerly Devona’s Rest]

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

This is what I like:

Instead of calling “OP” or “This isn’t fair…” respond with a way to defeat said annoyance.

That works well in theory, but in practice trying to land a tactical strike on someone who is in a channel almost always hits the front since he turns to follow exactly where you are.

To add to the topic at hand, I think channeled skills should break after the Thief has moved past a certain distance threshold.

If the thief is an idiot and stays in the same spot after going into stealth, then by all means he deserves to be hit some more. And if the opponent is prudent enough to use an immobilize or CC to keep the Thief in place beforehand, then similarly he deserves to keep getting hits on the Thief.

(edited by Kaon.7192)

in Thief

Posted by: Fizzlepip.5218

Fizzlepip.5218

Well it’s not fair for people using stealth that the skill cycle continues. Going stealth should interrupt targeting/skills in use.

As much as I would like this to happen, it would be way OPed. Every Stealth becoming essentially a Blind or Interrupt?

Amazing. Therefore don’t expect it.

The thing that always gets me is pets following you around while you’re stealth. That’s way way way different.

Also, I’ve Stealthed, dodged while in Stealth, and still been hit by a channel. THAT needs to change.

Ink The Stained, Fizzlepip, Playground Bullies [SNFU]
Darkhaven
…beware the unicorns.

in Thief

Posted by: Fazt Az Centaurs.4025

Fazt Az Centaurs.4025

Wow… this is beyond. Sigh. All i can say is that people need to sit down and read how mechanics work in this game, boons, stealth, aoe, all classes skills etc. Do your homework. Another useless thread.

Fezt, Fazt, Sqi ~ Kaineng

in Thief

Posted by: Keltset.4738

Keltset.4738

I think we should be invulnerable to all damage (AoE’s, channels, random swings) when stealthed. Because if they can’t see us, they shouldn’t be able to hit us.

/sarcasm

in Thief

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

As a sometimes-thief I can understand the problem. If stealth woudl break channeling skills, though, this would be overpowered and render a LOT of skills useless vs thieves. If this was ever to be implemented they’d have to change channeled skills as well to rebalance.

To some people who say that people keep attacking them after they stealthed … I have killed many thieves who continued in a straight line after stealthing … so it’s not always a bug if you get hit while in stealth

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Well it’s not fair for people using stealth that the skill cycle continues. Going stealth should interrupt targeting/skills in use.

As much as I would like this to happen, it would be way OPed. Every Stealth becoming essentially a Blind or Interrupt?

Amazing. Therefore don’t expect it.

The thing that always gets me is pets following you around while you’re stealth. That’s way way way different.

Also, I’ve Stealthed, dodged while in Stealth, and still been hit by a channel. THAT needs to change.

Well dodging does not interupt chanelled attacks, you just dodge portion of it. Why should it interupt it while stealthed ?

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: TNoD.8143

TNoD.8143

The problem is that they “lock-on”. Stealth shouldn’t interrupt but they should keep shotting/chanelling where you were last seen.

I don’t see why using STEALTH, allows a ranger to keep shooting in my direction x10. Defeats the purpose of stealth.

Lord Vrael [ÆÆÆÆ] – Borlis Pass

in Thief

Posted by: Kydar Schattendolch.6879

Kydar Schattendolch.6879

People still locking target on you while you go stealth. Still there’s no way to have an honest battle with a necro for example which drains your hp while in stealth just because he kept your target locked before entering stealth.

Thats really a problem. I noticed this also. Another situation are channel-skills (when u are targeted and go in stealth, u are still in target and take damage up to the end of the charge) or the Ranger-Hawks. When a ranger spell hawks on me, and i going in stealth, the hawk-attacks are not stopped at all, so i get more damage while in stealth and enemys see where am i. But when i’m in PvE with my ranger and i attack a skelk with these hawks and the skelk is going in stealth, the attacks of the hawks are stopped immediately. This is, how it should be in PvP too!

(edited by Kydar Schattendolch.6879)

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

The problem is that they “lock-on”. Stealth shouldn’t interrupt but they should keep shotting/chanelling where you were last seen.

I don’t see why using STEALTH, allows a ranger to keep shooting in my direction x10. Defeats the purpose of stealth.

I’ll ask you this. Do you have any problems fighting Longbow ranger BECOUSE of this “omgthisisbrokengamemechanics” ? Well I dont. Stealth is OK even if chanelled abilities follow you.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Posted by: Zimbriski.7458

Zimbriski.7458

I don’t want to call the fact that damage persists through stealth a broken mechanic, but the fact that a caster turns to face you as they channel certainly seems to break the benefits of stealth. It’s one thing for arcane magics to continually torment me, whether or not I try to hide. It’s another for an old geezer to get an auto-follow when I am no longer visible. I guess it really hinges on their ability to locate you. Damage is fair, pointing at me is not.

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

Yes. An AoE skill doesn’t even need a target to do its thing (there may be exceptions, of course). Stealth just makes you invisible; you don’t cease to be there.

The OP appears to be describing a cycled or channeled spell effect that will continue to cycle through its routine whether the target remains visible or not.

Neither do single target abilities….. just spamming your #1 attack while constanly turning facing will often either kill or force a stealthed thief to bail.

And shadow refuge is like a huge beacon for “ATTACK HERE”. At least 3 out of every 4 thieves I kill I do it while they are in shadow refuge as they are forced to stay in it for full duration and take your punishment, or they will have to suffer the revealed debuff.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Rob.1039

Rob.1039

Neither do single target abilities….. just spamming your #1 attack while constanly turning facing will often either kill or force a stealthed thief to bail.

And shadow refuge is like a huge beacon for “ATTACK HERE”. At least 3 out of every 4 thieves I kill I do it while they are in shadow refuge as they are forced to stay in it for full duration and take your punishment, or they will have to suffer the revealed debuff.

^This is why I keep saying to my guildmates that SF is most of the time useless in pvp environment. However sometimes I use that huge bacon “ATTACK HERE” to my advantage, for example if I’m being chased by enemy zerg in WvW, I usually pop Shadow Refuge and run in the opposite direction. Can’t even count how many times that saved my kitten, as lot of players on first sight of SF starts aoe’ing and swinging their weapons through it, while I’m running away:P

in Thief

Posted by: Lofat.2406

Lofat.2406

Question… Are you specd to “blind on stealth”? Just curious if that would stop the channel or not when you go stealth.

P Sutton – 80 Warrior
Ferg Crossing

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

Question… Are you specd to “blind on stealth”? Just curious if that would stop the channel or not when you go stealth.

Blind doesn’t appear stop a channeled attack, just makes one tick of it miss.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Rashagal.5867

Rashagal.5867

Good to know that I’m not the only one with this problem. Disappointed to know that it is a problem. I was fighting against a guildy in sPvP and he kept attacking me through stealth (mesmer). I thought it was just him but rangers, necromancers, and eles were doing the same thing after i was already in stealth. And it wasn’t just CD stealth it was in refuge duration as well :/

Don’t sPvP against people you are partied with. They can see your stealth as if you were an ally, and attack you. Always unparty first then join the same game.

That being said, there is also the issue of channeled spells hitting stealthed players. As long as they start the spell before you go stealth it will continue to its duration. This is definitely a pain seeing as how they can see where you’re going defeating the purpose of the stealth, and almost assuredly not intended, but as was mentioned before, might have been left unadressed due to balancing issues. There isn’t really a way to tell without a Dev or Mod commenting on this thread. Like the culling issues, its more of a grin and bear it type of issue. The only advice one could give is that when you notice a channeling spell going off on you wait for the spell to finish then blow an extra stealth spell to extend the duration and quickly change direction from where they were tracking you.

Anvil Rock Ambassador of [Sane];
[ARM] Anvil Rock Militia Commander;
The Loryak: I speak for these beasts.

in Thief

Posted by: lorndarken.3702

lorndarken.3702

really ? people are complaining about getting hit while in stealth ? seriously ? i bet any of you people who complain about getting hit in stealth would be saying it’s a learn to play issue like you all have done in the past to people that would come here and complain about the whole perma stealth that thief’s do 99% of the time in pvp /wvw . if the necro was using dagger which most likely he was and using the 2nd skill there is a solution to that if you are in stealth , just simply move a few steps back so that same necro can not life steal from you anymore .

in Thief

Adaneshade.2409

really ? people are complaining about getting hit while in stealth ? seriously ? i bet any of you people who complain about getting hit in stealth would be saying it’s a learn to play issue like you all have done in the past to people that would come here and complain about the whole perma stealth that thief’s do 99% of the time in pvp /wvw . if the necro was using dagger which most likely he was and using the 2nd skill there is a solution to that if you are in stealth , just simply move a few steps back so that same necro can not life steal from you anymore .

This!! 1000x this. We thieves have easy access to one of the most awesome mechanics in game atm. Learn to use things like running through the person channeling the skill or doing a dodge roll right after stealth to mitigate most of the channeled ability.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

I too have noticed in pvp but rarely in pve too when in vent with some guildies that I notice they are still hitting me in stealth and they ask “You were in stealth? I could still see you…”

in Thief

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Channeled skills are programmed to continue until the end.
I.E. even if you go 2000 range away that ranger will be still channeling his pew pew pew.

I doubt this is fixable without removing the ability to still shoot or channel while the enemy isn’t in range, which is a core feature of GW2 and I seriously doubt Anet is removing it just because one class suffers for it.

The solution is dealing with it. Stealth and then roll, or stealth and then LoS, whatever.

in Thief

Posted by: Jericho.4521

Jericho.4521

Stealth != invincibility nor should it be. There are many ways to deal with it, just daze them, dodge roll, shadowstep away into LoS, etc. etc.

If channeled attacks instantly dropped when stealthing, then all the thief qq really would be a lot more justified.

in Thief

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

If Anet ever did change this there would be another wave of LA riots 10x worse than ones after Rodney King attacker’s trial.

in Thief

Posted by: MatyrGustav.6210

MatyrGustav.6210

Thief stealth skill is broken in so many ways. I’m trying to be flexible, using different builds instead of running hardcore meta builds as thief but seriously; thieves and mesmers, engineers and even rangers (?) must have the same problem I am speaking of. People still locking target on you while you go stealth. Still there’s no way to have an honest battle with a necro for example which drains your hp while in stealth just because he kept your target locked before entering stealth. This saddens me so much. Why is this occuring anet? Is this intended? If so, then this thread is legit and deserves to stay and raise attention to this topic.

I have this same issue, i turn stealth and side step and im still getting hit by ranged fire for a bit. i hope this gets fixed

in Thief

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Is this intended?

Yes.
Just don’t stealth when that ranger is throwing arrows at you. Ugh, without this rangers, warriors, etc. would be even more screwed when playing against a stealther (mesmer or thief).

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in Thief

Posted by: Wanderer.5471

Wanderer.5471

Some skills, if activated before you stealth, will continue to fire even when you stealth. This is because these skills are not a chain of single attacks but it is a channeling attack type that isn’t interrupted when the enemy stealthes.

Karka’s missile barrage is an example, the bird attack rangers (or Norn?) use is an example, the wind riders can hit you with their homing beam when they fired before you stealthed, etc.

Breaking target isn’t the issue here because the skill needs a target only when activated – as soon as it starts it just continues.

this is ridiculous, i made a thread the other day complaining that ranger horn attack 4 (birds) don’t work if the target breaks line of sight by running behind a wall etc – the birds attached to his face should still be able to scratch him despite the fact you can’t see him, yet somehow when he’s stealthed so neither you or the birds can see him it still works??? this skill really needs to be looked at…

in Thief

Posted by: Deviija.7869

Deviija.7869

Oh, it’s a VERY VERY VERY common issue. I run across this problem much more frequently on my Mesmer, however. Still, getting targeted and hit while in stealth happens all too frequently.

An AOE skill hitting a target area? Getting hit by an area effect is fine. That is logical and normal. Stealth doesn’t mean invulnerability to area skills.

A target-specific skill, however, should not hit someone in stealth. Going stealth means losing target and a target-specific skill shouldn’t be able to track and thus damage someone in stealth. Yet, I’ve been hit many times by single target and target-specific skills (even basic ranged #1’s) while stealthed. I also do not think that if someone is doing a multi-hit skill or a channeled/duration skill and you stealth (and presumably are moving) that you should continue to be targeted and hit by that skill. Losing target means you lose target, you don’t know where someone is. If you stealth and just stand there in the same spot the person first fires at, then yes, you should be hit. But if karka rapid spit or arrow rapid shot is coming at you and you stealth after a hit or two, then the rest should miss you as you are no longer a visible target. Just my thoughts on that.

(edited by Deviija.7869)

in Thief

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

There is already a thread to discuss about the thief here : The thief and its gameplay – Your feedback.

Therefore this one is now closed.