[Build] The REAL maximum DPS thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

This is after the next patch that switches the reveal back to 3 seconds. More DPS and an easier rotation then the warrior, but more difficult to survive.

Traits

Gear:
Berzerkers
Ruby Orbs
Sigil of Force
Sigil of Accuracy (Can be higher with 25 stacks of sigil of perception)
Butternut Squash Soup
Superior Sharpening Stone

Max DPS Rotation
CLoak And Dagger
Backstab
Auto Chain
Repeat

Total DPS while behind boss: 8669
With 25 Stacks: 9060

Stop saying warriors out-DPS thieves, it’s not true.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/Build-The-REAL-maximum-DPS-warrior/first#post1886080
guys, you have to DOWNLOAD the spreadsheet in the link, the default builds on that thing are NOT what I used, the default builds on the spreadsheets use omnomberry bars and the wrong traits with bad rotations and are missing sigils.
Also, if you want to add a dodge into the rotation, you can do it yourself, a dodge takes .75 seconds and you can dodge every 10 seconds SO
CnD
Backstab
Auto
CnD
Backstab
Auto
Dodge
THAT BEING SAID, why. This is what’s called theoretical DPS. It is not an accurate in game measurement, rather it is a tool for understanding how different classes compare. For example, the theoretical DPS of ranged weapons are usually around 3-4k DPS, 10-50% less damage then melee. AN did this on purpose for the exact reason that sometimes melee people have to back out and BLAH BLAH BLAH
Applied DPS is the in game accurate one, but to do that, you need a DPS counter and ALOT of trials. And I mean ALOT of trials, and it’s going to change per player. So from a scientific perspective applied DPS isn’t as useful when looking at things like class balance, or best builds.
DEEP BREATH
ok im done

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

(edited by Scootabuser.4915)

in Thief

Posted by: iNaddict.8021

iNaddict.8021

the bosses sneeze.. oops you are dead.

in Thief

Scootabuser.4915

the bosses sneeze.. oops I are dead.

In most content, the greatest defense comes from, your heal, projectile blocks, blind, protection, and most importantly dodges. Not from vitality or toughness.

That being said, you do actually have to be a GOOD player, but that can be said for the warriors ridiculous attack rotation too.

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

I would have to disagree with you there though. I maintain that no matter how big of numbers you see.. a thief backing off to recuperate is a thief doing 0 dps.. i would at least go with cond removal and shadow protection in the SA tree to be able to stay in the fight..

The problem is that no matter how good you are.. without toughness or vit.. when you get hit.. (and you will.. even if its just once) you go SPLAT.. and now a liability for your team because you need to rez or help get rezzed..

in Thief

Scootabuser.4915

I would have to disagree with you there though. I maintain that no matter how big of numbers you see.. a thief backing off to recuperate is a thief doing 0 dps.. i would at least go with cond removal and shadow protection in the SA tree to be able to stay in the fight..

The problem is that no matter how good you are.. without toughness or vit.. when you get hit.. (and you will.. even if its just once) you go SPLAT.. and now a liability for your team because you need to rez or help get rezzed..

I shudder to think how much toughness and vitality you have on your thief to make any sort of difference in your survivability

Without the initiative on stealth, your dps drops DRAMATICALLY as you run out of initiative, lose 10% from first strikes, and have to chain together several auto attacks before you can CnD again. Infusion of shadow is actually one of the MOST important traits in the build.

Full damage builds are possible, but have high skill caps. Source: I rock

in Thief

iNaddict.8021

I don’t have much only what I got from traits. But there are some traits I would consider essential and allow yourself some room for mistakes.. so you can worry less about surviving and more focus on dpsing

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Who told you that reveal is going to be reverted lol ? That fake screen of dev speaking in game chat doesnt count.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

in Thief

Scootabuser.4915

Who told you that reveal is going to be reverted lol ? That fake screen of dev speaking in game chat doesnt count.

Patch previews all say they are reverting it back to 3 seconds in PvE.

Don’t know where you heard that the picture was fake…

in Thief

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

More DPS and an easier rotation then the warrior, but more difficult to survive.

It’s single target and much easier to fail. The boss often turns away in the very last milisecond before your backstab, I mean frontstab now, lands. Also, pulling the boss into a corner or to a wall, favored by most, actually only makes it harder for the thief.

PS. The spreadsheet shows warrior setup.

in Thief

Scootabuser.4915

More DPS and an easier rotation then the warrior, but more difficult to survive.

It’s single target and much easier to fail. The boss often turns away in the very last milisecond before your backstab, I mean frontstab now, lands. Also, pulling the boss into a corner or to a wall, favored by most, actually only makes it harder for the thief.

PS. The spreadsheet shows warrior setup.

Download it, its a manipulative spreadsheet that you can use to plug in gear stats traits and most importantly, rotations.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Is this meant to be applicable everywhere in the game? I’ve played Thief in to the quadruple digits in terms of hours and consider myself extremely proficient with the class in PvE, but I can’t see myself landing maximum DPS in this way 100% of the time in, say, Urban Battleground Fractal at 40+ without getting splattered all over the pavement within nanoseconds by the armies of Warriors and Mages. I could definitely run this build in any of the regular dungeons with little worry, but I have my doubts that it would work in every nook and cranny of end-game content, like the example I gave. But then, I pug a lot, so depending on group setup, I guess…

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

in Thief

Scootabuser.4915

Is this meant to be applicable everywhere in the game? I’ve played Thief in to the quadruple digits in terms of hours and consider myself extremely proficient with the class in PvE, but I can’t see myself landing maximum DPS in this way 100% of the time in, say, Urban Battleground Fractal at 40+ without getting splattered all over the pavement within nanoseconds by the armies of Warriors and Mages. I could definitely run this build in any of the regular dungeons with little worry, but I have my doubts that it would work in every nook and cranny of end-game content, like the example I gave. But then, I pug a lot, so depending on group setup, I guess…

Why would you be using daggers for that? Guardian wall of you shall not pass + shortbow or Sword/Pistol if your feeling lucky.

You don’t use d/d for trash. That’s why you carry a 25 stack sigil on your other weaponset which is designed for AoE trashpulls.

in Thief

Auesis.7301

Why would you be using daggers for that? Guardian wall of you shall not pass + shortbow or Sword/Pistol if your feeling lucky.

You don’t use d/d for trash. That’s why you carry a 25 stack sigil on your other weaponset which is designed for AoE trashpulls.

That’s exactly what I meant. I got the impression that you were literally just using D/D everywhere and for everything, and I almost wanted to punch a wall. Thank god you don’t.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Scootabuser.4915

That’s exactly what I meant. I got the impression that you were literally just using D/D everywhere and for everything, and I almost wanted to punch a wall. Thank god you don’t.

That’s what I like about the thief, 30/30 will give you 100% or 95% DPS potential on every weapon-set.

in Thief

Auesis.7301

Indeed.

/15char

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

Using the numbers in that spread sheet for the thief (assuming same gear as warrior)

The rotation of CnD → Backstab → One full Autoattack chain → repeat comes out as 5245.6 dps

Compared to a warrior rotation of Axe autoattack chain which comes out as 6018.9 dps…

So curious to how you worked out your numbers.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

I agree with this.

@OP
Rotations only apply if you can actually stay in melee range to rinse and repeat.

You should incorporate “your heal, projectile blocks, blind, protection, and most importantly dodges” into your rotation and see the REAL DPS numbers out of your rotation.

I bet it won’t be as stellar.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

true true so we need a defensive buff they owe us right?

in Thief

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

I shudder to think how much toughness and vitality you have on your thief to make any sort of difference in your survivability

Without the initiative on stealth, your dps drops DRAMATICALLY as you run out of initiative, lose 10% from first strikes, and have to chain together several auto attacks before you can CnD again. Infusion of shadow is actually one of the MOST important traits in the build.

I like you speak the truth and are confident without acting like a jerk. I also agree that at least 10 points into sa gives a massive dps boost sue to infusion. I go 20 but that’s just cause it fits really well with my play style. I haven’t read enough into the previews to know what’s going on but I hope you’re right.

Also reading that chart on an iPod is impossible (at least it was for me), mind lettin me know the short of what it said about war dps

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

(edited by randomfightfan.4091)

in Thief

Scootabuser.4915

I like you speak the truth and are confident without acting like a jerk. I also agree that at least 10 points into sa gives a massive dps boost sue to infusion. I go 20 but that’s just cause it fits really well with my play style. I haven’t read enough into the previews to know what’s going on but I hope you’re right.

Also reading that chart on an iPod is impossible (at least it was for me), mind lettin me know the short of what it said about war dps

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/Build-The-REAL-maximum-DPS-warrior/first#post1886080

guys, you have to DOWNLOAD the spreadsheet in the link, the default builds on that thing are NOT what I used, the default builds on the spreadsheets use omnomberry bars and the wrong traits with bad rotations and are missing sigils.

Also, if you want to add a dodge into the rotation, you can do it yourself, a dodge takes .75 seconds and you can dodge every 10 seconds SO

CnD
Backstab
Auto
CnD
Backstab
Auto
Dodge

THAT BEING SAID, why. This is what’s called theoretical DPS. It is not an accurate in game measurement, rather it is a tool for understanding how different classes compare. For example, the theoretical DPS of ranged weapons are usually around 3-4k DPS, 10-50% less damage then melee. AN did this on purpose for the exact reason that sometimes melee people have to back out and BLAH BLAH BLAH

Applied DPS is the in game accurate one, but to do that, you need a DPS counter and ALOT of trials. And I mean ALOT of trials, and it’s going to change per player. So from a scientific perspective applied DPS isn’t as useful when looking at things like class balance, or best builds.

DEEP BREATH

ok im done

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Using the numbers in that spread sheet for the thief (assuming same gear as warrior)

The rotation of CnD -> Backstab -> One full Autoattack chain -> repeat comes out as 5245.6 dps

Compared to a warrior rotation of Axe autoattack chain which comes out as 6018.9 dps…

The sheet has a lot of good information in it (particularly accurate attack timings, which I haven’t seen elsewhere), but the base numbers and builds it is using are off. All else being equal, dagger rotation deals more damage than Axe autoattacks.

Warriors deal more damage because they have much better access to vulnerability, might, and fury. Banners and FGJ push their damage ahead of everyone else, when you give them credit for the boons.

If you already have enough Warriors and friends to give everyone permanent Fury and 25 might stacks, Thieves are better in the remaining slots, as they scale better with buffs (though have less access to them).

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

the bosses sneeze.. oops you are dead.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

you are forgetting the vulnerability and other buffs that warriors bring to the table that are really their source of individual and party dps (and stack). Also, thieves are simply much less tanky and sustained dps requires tankiness to a point, even if at a near minimum level (zerk war)

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling

(edited by Raptured.9307)

in Thief

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

The rotation of CnD -> Backstab -> One full Autoattack chain -> repeat comes out as 5245.6 dps

The sheet has a lot of good information in it (particularly accurate attack timings, which I haven’t seen elsewhere), but the base numbers and builds it is using are off. All else being equal, dagger rotation deals more damage than Axe autoattacks.

Warriors deal more damage because they have much better access to vulnerability, might, and fury. Banners and FGJ push their damage ahead of everyone else, when you give them credit for the boons.

If you already have enough Warriors and friends to give everyone permanent Fury and 25 might stacks, Thieves are better in the remaining slots, as they scale better with buffs (though have less access to them).

Pretty much this. A warrior can keep perma fury and 15 stacks + of might on himself and ~10 on party members very easily.

Without access to similar boons from party members, a Thief is not going to out-DPS a Warrior.

in Thief

Scootabuser.4915

you are forgetting the vulnerability and other buffs that warriors bring to the table that are really their source of individual and party dps (and stack). Also, thieves are simply much less tanky and sustained dps requires tankiness to a point, even if at a near minimum level (zerk war)

And this is why I think the current meta is a bit stagnet. From my perspective, you’d want an engineer for vulnerability and conditions, a warrior for offensive party buffs, and then some thieves to take advantage of that!

But conditions are worthless, you only need 2 warriors for 25 vuln, and every single warrior can self buff themselves better then they can group buff.

So you end up with a party comp of 1 guardian 1 mesmer and 3 warriors.
Yawn

What I found interesting about the numbers is that, even though some classes have better DPS then others.

If you have 1 warrior in the group built for banners and AoE might stacking (only a small reduction in personal DPS), you can bring pretty much whatever class you want to the party (assuming berzerker gear and non-suckage) and still down bosses pretty quick. Not record time, but fast enough that it’s easy.

in Thief

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

^This would be ideal, if the thief can survive

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling

in Thief

randomfightfan.4091

CnD
Backstab
Auto
CnD
Backstab
Auto
Dodge

DEEP BREATH

ok im done

I suggest putting this in as an asside with the main post as most people seem to be ignoring it due to it not being in the 1st post

in Thief

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in Thief

Scootabuser.4915

Nope, without infusion of shadow you run out of initative and have to use worse chain of using CnD less often.

in Thief

Posted by: Puandro.3245

Puandro.3245

Creator of the Spreadsheet here.
Could you go more into which base numbers are wrong as im always hoping to improve it buy i havent found anything wrong.

GW2 Videos WvW Ele/Thief/Mesmer/Ranger/Warrior PvP Videos
Jade Quarry – Team Savvy – #1 NA WvW Solo Guild

in Thief

Posted by: Strayhand.8216

Strayhand.8216

I’m wondering why did you need a spreadsheet to tell that the most theoretical dps comes from the maxing of the power and precision traitlines. That’s quite a surprise there!

in Thief

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Could you go more into which base numbers are wrong as im always hoping to improve it buy i havent found anything wrong.

The skill numbers are really good. I’m really impressed by that, especially seeing all the activations lined up properly.

There is an issue of all the classes pulling off the same ‘classes’ sheet, so you can’t flip directly back and forth between, say, the Warrior and Thief pages – when I have the classes page set to Warrior, I see the Warrior numbers on the Thief pages as well.

This is pretty minor though since the only real differences there are the base armor and health.

What I was getting at was that the traits were not set, and it’s not like gear has been optimized – it’s also assuming maxed boons and vulnerability stacks by default. So you cannot compare classes with the sheet ‘as is’; you have to plug your build in first.

That said, this is a really solid workbook, with most everything I’d want to know in one place. Great job on it.

in Thief

Puandro.3245

The skill numbers are really good. I’m really impressed by that, especially seeing all the activations lined up properly.

There is an issue of all the classes pulling off the same ‘classes’ sheet, so you can’t flip directly back and forth between, say, the Warrior and Thief pages – when I have the classes page set to Warrior, I see the Warrior numbers on the Thief pages as well.

This is pretty minor though since the only real differences there are the base armor and health.

What I was getting at was that the traits were not set, and it’s not like gear has been optimized – it’s also assuming maxed boons and vulnerability stacks by default. So you cannot compare classes with the sheet ‘as is’; you have to plug your build in first.

That said, this is a really solid workbook, with most everything I’d want to know in one place. Great job on it.

Yes all tabs pull info from the single “classes” tab, this was due to me not wanting to have a class tab for each one. A simple workaround i do is open 2 sheets.

You can change the traits (if im understanding this well) and it doesnt affect the other classes damage.

You can edit the gear/class/buffs ect to your liking. ATM i just have it default to max Zerk gear and max buffs/debuffs. I recently added banners also which should be available to use in a few minutes once i upload it to the same download link.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Just as I thought, by adding just one dodge to the rotation, the DPS dropped by about 2k DPS.

@Puandro.3245
Great spreadsheet and kudos to the effort on putting this together.

One tiny problem though, when I was adding one of the Delays in the DPS calculator, the numbers were not showing properly.

The formula is correct but the position of the cells were not. The location of “Damage per Second” and “Skill Information” under Delays is one column off. After making this adjustment, the values under the DPS calculator were corrected.

Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen

in Thief

randomfightfan.4091

I have to ask about your warrior spreadsheet, does it account for the free bleed stacks you get on crit?

in Thief

Puandro.3245

Just as I thought, by adding just one dodge to the rotation, the DPS dropped by about 2k DPS.

@Puandro.3245

One tiny problem though, when I was adding one of the Delays in the DPS calculator, the numbers were not showing properly.

The formula is correct but the position of the cells were not. The location of “Damage per Second” and “Skill Information” under Delays is one column off. After making this adjustment, the values under the DPS calculator were corrected.

You are right the delays where not actually delaying the dps, this is due to the fact that i built the thief calculator differently since its initiative and not CD based. I fixed it though.

I have to ask about your warrior spreadsheet, does it account for the free bleed stacks you get on crit?

If you build a rotation it will take into account your potential bleed damage based on your Crit %, and how fast you attack. It will be on the top right corner under precise strikes. It has to be turned “on” though under traits to show up.

For the people messing with the spreadsheet, 1 thing i forgot to mention is that it will calculate conditions past 100% duration but the game has them capped at 100% so careful with bleed builds.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

@Puandro.3245

You are right the delays where not actually delaying the dps, this is due to the fact that i built the thief calculator differently since its initiative and not CD based. I fixed it though.

Thanks for the quick fix. I was using the delay in place for dodging which is a drop in DPS every time a dodge is performed.

in Thief

Puandro.3245

@Puandro.3245

Thanks for the quick fix. I was using the delay in place for dodging which is a drop in DPS every time a dodge is performed.

Ill prob add a “dodge” Skill to the calculator eventually. Finishing Mesmer info atm and calculating phantasms has been a pain but i think i got it. I also managed to break down the weapon damage # for ele conjures so i could figure out the lightning hammer DPS. The #‘s are there but you can’t use the conjures yet in the dps calculator.

It seems pretty complete but still a lot of stuff i could add.

in Thief

Posted by: Ekemeister.8905

Ekemeister.8905

I’d love to see you try to dps the Mossman, Legendary Imbued Shaman, or the Legendary Archdiviner with this. I suggest you take full valkyrie gear, practiced tolerance, and hidden killer. Constant crit from stealth on 109% crit damage will win out compared to your 30% crit chance. I also suggest 6 superior runes of the thief for another 10% damage boost when behind or flanking.
Not to mention, anybody who’s been playing mmo’s since everquest or earlier already knows this rotation. Thief is crippled by developers only seeing them as cloak junkies. Can one development team at least read the DnD Martial Might Class Book? It has amazing templates for class design. Rogue can be so many other things than a poisoner or assassin! Anyway, I don’t see how this will work in wvw (zerg v zerg!) when people can anticipate you. Thus, unless you plan to dodge zergs and hunt noobs all day. This build needs tweaking for application.

in Thief

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

Hum… there’s a problem there. Warriors have more HP and defense, so in theory, thieves can deal more damage, but in a real fight, warriors will survive longer/stop less to heal, which means more DPS

in Thief

Puandro.3245

Hum… there’s a problem there. Warriors have more HP and defense, so in theory, thieves can deal more damage, but in a real fight, warriors will survive longer/stop less to heal, which means more DPS

You must not do high level fractals since you think the armor/health will save you from damage when both classes are glasss cannons.

in Thief

Posted by: MiloSaysRelax.1597

MiloSaysRelax.1597

Replace “more difficult to survive” with “made out of yoghurt and paper” and then this build won’t surprise people when you are pounded into the ground by a trash mob.

Not that it matters, you said this was a full DPS build, and that’s exactly what it is. But it’s like fitting too big an engine to a car – sure, it’s a lot of power, but if it’s too much then the wheels will just spin and smoke and you won’t go anywhere.

Power is useless if you can’t put it down, and I very much doubt you’ll be able to put this power down, because you’ll be too dead.

in Thief

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

You must not do high level fractals since you think the armor/health will save you from damage when both classes are glasss cannons.

But what’s the situation being considered here? My example is perfect if you are not going to move and just use your skills.
On the other hand, if you add dodges, kiting and the other mechanics GW2 offers, I’m totally wrong

Even though you can’t think of other situations, I won’t judge that ability. I just hope you become a better thorycrafter if you want to

(edited by HELLruler.4820)

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

But what’s the situation being considered here? My example is perfect if you are not going to move and just use your skills.
On the other hand, if you add dodges, kiting and the other mechanics GW2 offers, I’m totally wrong

Even though you can’t think of other situations, I won’t judge that ability. I just hope you become a better thorycrafter if you want to

The theory assumes a tank and spank situation, thus it’s a theory. But if you want to add reality into the calculation, you can still use the spreadsheet like I did — I added dodge delay into the calculation to see how much it will drop my DPS.

The spreadsheet is a great tool for theory-crafting and base on your post, its seems that not everyone knows how to use it.

in Thief

Dasorine.1964

after downloading it and working on the numbers it seems a lot more accurate in general, but it still works on the assumption of 25 stacks of might, perma fury and 25 stacks of vuln which for a thief isn’t exactly a common situation.

That said I don’t take the spreadsheets DPS calcs I use the combined damage and work the dps out manually as im not sure exactly how they calculated reuse times and such as some skills work differently from others.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

after downloading it and working on the numbers it seems a lot more accurate in general, but it still works on the assumption of 25 stacks of might, perma fury and 25 stacks of vuln which for a thief isn’t exactly a common situation.

That said I don’t take the spreadsheets DPS calcs I use the combined damage and work the dps out manually as im not sure exactly how they calculated reuse times and such as some skills work differently from others.

All color coded with yellow are numbers you can play with. If you don’t want the stacks, you can remove them from the Classes tab by putting the value 0.

You can even add your custom buffs if you want.

in Thief

Dasorine.1964

wouldn’t work for me, everything BUT the might, fury and vuln stack yellow boxes where adjustable

Oh and the Custom gear boxes

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

wouldn’t work for me, everything BUT the might, fury and vuln stack yellow boxes where adjustable

Oh and the Custom gear boxes

If you downloaded it, you should be able to turn-off any security features so that you can edit it.

in Thief

Puandro.3245

Sir Vicent apparently figured it out :P. Yes its a great theorycraft dps tool. With no In-Game DPS tracker this is the closest thing you will get to knowing how much DPS you can do. Just build the rotations to be similar to In-Game scenario don’t make rotations that will probably never happen in game and you will get accurate results.

Edit: If you can’t edit everything in the yellow boxes i don’t know what to tell you. I know someone had an isssue with some boxes when they had it open in openoffice (sp?) instead of Excel.

in Thief

Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vicent apparently figured it out :P.

lol, I used to help design one in my previous life in Azeroth before my reincarnation in Tyria.