Building a better D/D thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Walker.3056

Walker.3056

You are using ascended weapon + Power signet thats why you EP broke 5k
Its more of a tanky build… not saying its bad but i prefer a higher burst thats why i stick to wish’s stats options

in Thief

Posted by: Catchlove.2189

Catchlove.2189

Does this gear setup translate to other trait options? I run D/P 10/30/0/0/30 in WvW and was wondering if there is a more optimal setup I should be using?

Currently I run:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-c;4Rw-_07-R-Fd0;9;49T;0T2;025A;446BLNF0;9-o-FT-A-6;2VWVf0p1qY04o_-3WJ-2c;9;9;9;9;3kkkkkkW

in Thief

Posted by: Sartori.6758

Sartori.6758

Bad.

If you want to compare gear then don’t add in traits that boost power/precision in the comparison. Also do the math yourself, it’s already been explained in this thread why “effective power” is essentially a useless stat.

So, to compare your gear selection we’ll set it up like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYEQRAoY8YlUmiO3ey5E/5Ey2jdqCJKuHGVS1UaFoJA-j0yAorBRTWCNRAiKAk9UWTfCiF3ioxqrxUxER127hoZzTtUARsMC-w

Power: 2362, Crit Chance: 20%, Crit Dmg: 102%, Armor: 2994, HP: 15055

EHP: (15055 * 2994) / 1836 = 24550.47
DMG: 2362 * ((1 * 0.8) * ((1.5 + 1.02) * 0.2) = 3080.04

With your gear set you’ll do about 22% less damage and only gain 12% more EHP (+2681). Totally not worth it.

in Thief

Posted by: Sartori.6758

Sartori.6758

Does this gear setup translate to other trait options? I run D/P 10/30/0/0/30 in WvW and was wondering if there is a more optimal setup I should be using?

Currently I run:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-c;4Rw-_07-R-Fd0;9;49T;0T2;025A;446BLNF0;9-o-FT-A-6;2VWVf0p1qY04o_-3WJ-2c;9;9;9;9;3kkkkkkW

The rule of thumb is to start with a full berserker set then swap out for soldiers in the slots that give you the most stats per 1% crit damage lost, so you start by replacing helm and leggings which are worth 16 points then chest which is worth 14.4 points, etc.

Your build (I added food and infusions): http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYEQNAoaVlUmiO3eS5E/5Ey2jdqC5JvHk1YZWaFoJA-jEzAYrIivASeKrZvImABaDFRjVXjpcFi0up2ePEZDOqNHTKgyFGB-w

Power: 2203, Crit Chance: 56%, Crit Dmg: 102%, Armor: 2145, HP: 13995

EHP: (13995 * 2145) / 1836 = 16350.36
DMG: 2203 * ((1 * 0.44) + ((1.5 + 1.02) * 0.56) = 4078.19

Since what you have already follows that rule pretty closely, the changes are pretty minor: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYEQNAoaVlUmiO3eS5E/5Ey2jdqC5JvHk1YZWaFoJA-j0yA4LBRySEpCAJPl1sngYboIas6aMlLRUt9WQzgjYzTtUAlLMC-w

Power: 2216, Crit Chance: 53%, Crit Dmg: 102%, Armor: 2132, HP: 14615

EHP: (14615 * 2132) / 1836 = 16972.23
DMG: 2216 * ((1 * 0.47) + ((1.5 + 1.02) * 0.53) = 4001.2

In this case you can gain 3.8% EHP while giving up only 1.9% dmg. Alternately, if you use soldier’s weapons then you’ll gain 10% EHP (17990) and give up 5% dmg (3884) which would give you a more noticeable boost in survivability (and you probably won’t notice the damage loss).

in Thief

Posted by: Catchlove.2189

Catchlove.2189

Thanks a lot Sartori, I’ll definitely look into getting some new gear.

in Thief

Posted by: wish.1027

wish.1027

Does this gear setup translate to other trait options?

Yes, it also translates to other classes, unless youre doing something specific, like stacking toughness or healing power to increase the effectiveness of your regen… or something else random.

The math will be slightly different, but the end result will be the same, just do this>

The rule of thumb is to start with a full berserker set then swap out for soldiers in the slots that give you the most stats per 1% crit damage lost

Also
<3 Satori, lets trade some pokemon sometime, I’ll give you a 6×31 IV Eevee for being cool.

Jade Quarry Warrior Strike Force [SF]
w/ an alt Thief and Guardian.
Math is your friend.

in Thief

Posted by: lenniklarsson.5284

lenniklarsson.5284

hey wish, ive got a few questions…
so, my thief is finally 80 now, and im prefering http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fYEQRAoY8YlUmiO3ey5E/5Ey2jdqCJKuHGVS1UaFoJA-jEzAorBRTWCNRAiKAk8UWzeCiVtioxqrxUuDRW7iavJiWt5wCBUeBA-w (“Wish’s Mug”), is it still up-to-date and playable? and what about the patch comming on 10th december? any important changes for that build?

in Thief

wish.1027

hey wish, ive got a few questions…
so, my thief is finally 80 now, and im prefering http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fYEQRAoY8YlUmiO3ey5E/5Ey2jdqCJKuHGVS1UaFoJA-jEzAorBRTWCNRAiKAk8UWzeCiVtioxqrxUuDRW7iavJiWt5wCBUeBA-w (“Wish’s Mug”), is it still up-to-date and playable? and what about the patch comming on 10th december? any important changes for that build?

My advice is to hold all laurels and not to change any infusions until ascended armor comes out. Otherwise you’ll probably end up wasting resources on items you end up not needing.

But, ya, copy the gear setup/foods, just dont get silly things like infusions or divinity runes (Go for Travelers runes and blinding powder instead of signet of shadows) When Ascended armor is out (which should be really soon) everything will change, so theres no point rushing to get stuff right now.

Math is your friend.

in Thief

Posted by: lenniklarsson.5284

lenniklarsson.5284

When Ascended armor is out (which should be really soon) everything will change, so theres no point rushing to get stuff right now.

So buying ascended trinkets like rings, amulets, accessorys and ascended weapons isnt a good idea yet?

in Thief

wish.1027

When Ascended armor is out (which should be really soon) everything will change, so theres no point rushing to get stuff right now.

So buying ascended trinkets like rings, amulets, accessorys and ascended weapons isnt a good idea yet?

If youre missing some, get the ones youre least likely to replace (Offensive Berserker/Berserker Back, Neck, Ear, Ring) Other than that, I would save laurels. They did say Ascended armor would be out by January 1st, but it could have been pushed back, I dont really follow GW2 news.

Math is your friend.

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Hey,

i cannot afford Travelers atm and want to ask for your opinion on Superior Runes of Speed. What would be the optimal choice for a gear setup build arround this rune set or are Traveler the ones to go for?

Traveler’s are really best. If you want a cheap option for the interim, you can get runes of the centaur.

in Thief

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

Hey,

i cannot afford Travelers atm and want to ask for your opinion on Superior Runes of Speed. What would be the optimal choice for a gear setup build arround this rune set or are Traveler the ones to go for?

Might as well go with Ruby Orbs + Signet of Shadow.

You can go with Runes of Speed, but you will need to compensate somewhere else (more offensive food or going full berserk).

in Thief

Posted by: Butch.4957

Butch.4957

Alright guys, I am still playing around with this build but my intent when making it was to go for a D/D hybrid build with both high damage output and decent staying power. There will not be much spike damage in this (yes, it is a PvE build. I lag too much in WvW and PvP is not an option) but i tried to offset it with a higher damage output overall. Please let me know what you think about it and this does not take into effect the new ascended armor types or the fact that you can upgrade weapons with both infusions and regular upgrades.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYUQNAoYVlUmiPXeS6E+5Ey2jdqC5J/DglODcqlA-jACBYfCik3QEBBM7pIaslhFRjVZDT9iIq2erIa1SBEjwI-e

in Thief

SoulSin.5682

Alright guys, I am still playing around with this build but my intent when making it was to go for a D/D hybrid build with both high damage output and decent staying power. There will not be much spike damage in this (yes, it is a PvE build. I lag too much in WvW and PvP is not an option) but i tried to offset it with a higher damage output overall. Please let me know what you think about it and this does not take into effect the new ascended armor types or the fact that you can upgrade weapons with both infusions and regular upgrades.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fYUQNAoYVlUmiPXeS6E+5Ey2jdqC5J/DglODcqlA-jACBYfCik3QEBBM7pIaslhFRjVZDT9iIq2erIa1SBEjwI-e

Trait wise its fine.

Sigils are terrible. Double accuracy doesnt stack and Torment is pointless on PvE since mobs don’t move that much.
You might as well use Force or Night (some dungeons are permanent Night).
Fire Runes are great for a bit of AoE damage. You can also use “Might on Crit” sigils.

There is no point on using Scaltrops when you don’t have ConD to make it effective. You are potentially reducing your party DPS by taking Bleed Stacks from any partner Necro/Mesmer in the group.
Same goes for Dagger Storm. That Elite “fails too much” to be effective on PvE. You may as well use Thieves Guild.

Traveler Runes are not that usefull for Dungeons unless you enjoy the 25% speed for traveling around. I believe Ruby Orbs, Runes of Schoolar or Divinity play a better role in PvE.

Lastly, you may keep a few Soldier pieces for your safety, but Berserkers are still better. You can always learn to dodge or stealth away instead of absorving damage. And if you need more protection, go with Valkyrie/Soldier.

Oh, you also can’t use Might Infusion on all Slots. You can’t have two of the same ring equiped (wich means that or you use different Rings/earrings, or you use a “Offensive Slot Version” and a “Defensive Slot Version” of the same Stat Ring)

in Thief

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

Sorry to bump an old thread but I am using traveller runes with inf signet and cloaked in shadow post the initiative bump. I dont notice a difference losing infusion of shadow.

I also would like thoughts on orrian truffle and meat stew?

in Thief

Dahkeus.8243

Sorry to bump an old thread but I am using traveller runes with inf signet and cloaked in shadow post the initiative bump. I dont notice a difference losing infusion of shadow.

I also would like thoughts on orrian truffle and meat stew?

Yea, I think Yishis switched Infusion of Shadow for Shadow’s Embrace. Personally, I still use Infusion since I just put the extra initiative to use with Death Blossom as an evade with damage against some classes (evade shatter/kill clones against mesmer, evade through Necro marks, etc.).

As for Orrian Truffle, it’s a good choice, but it can be a bit pricey. If I was going to spend that much on food, I’d probably go with Bowl of Butternut Squash Soup (80 precision and 8 critical damage). If you are already light on defense stats with your gear, you may like the orrian truffle more.

in Thief

Posted by: Farcus.6953

Farcus.6953

To continue with this post, what two ascended dagger? I’m currently on one zerker, should i continue on with another or go with a soldier or knight?

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Oh, you also can’t use Might Infusion on all Slots. You can’t have two of the same ring equiped (wich means that or you use different Rings/earrings, or you use a “Offensive Slot Version” and a “Defensive Slot Version” of the same Stat Ring)

What are you saying, you cannot have two identical ascended rings, or two identical earrings?

in Thief

Posted by: Thorp.7982

Thorp.7982

You can have +5 power in every infusion slot with Versatile Mighty Infusions.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Versatile_Mighty_Infusion

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

But not otherwise? Mystic forge is way too much trouble and expense. How does that all work and where do I find the ? This is new to me I don’t feel like finding out too late that I’ve dumped months of laurels into the wrong trinkets.

in Thief

Posted by: Thorp.7982

Thorp.7982

You can have offensive slot infusions in everything besides one ascended accessory if you don’t want to use the Mystic Forge. To have two offensive ascended rings, you just have to infuse one offensive infusion slot ascended ring of the same name so that one says “(Infused)” at the end of its title and the other does not.

You would also find it more efficient to obtain ascended rings from Fractals of the Mists rather than from a Laurel Merchant.

(edited by Thorp.7982)

in Thief

Dahkeus.8243

To continue with this post, what two ascended dagger? I’m currently on one zerker, should i continue on with another or go with a soldier or knight?

Go both berserker.

in Thief

animalmom.1062

hmm, i thought optimal was 2x soldier daggers, soldier coat, helm, boots and zerker gloves, shoulders and shoes with zerker trinks.

Is this not the case anymore because im about to finish my ascended dagger (got incinerator) and was getting to work on my ascended armor in the above way

did something change?

in Thief

Posted by: Farcus.6953

Farcus.6953

hmm, i thought optimal was 2x soldier daggers, soldier coat, helm, boots and zerker gloves, shoulders and shoes with zerker trinks.

Is this not the case anymore because im about to finish my ascended dagger (got incinerator) and was getting to work on my ascended armor in the above way

did something change?

Where is your data to support this, i’m not doubting you I just need to see it for myself.

in Thief

animalmom.1062

It is in this thread, it was sort of the purpose of the whole thread. There was a long discussion on the guardian forums to support it as well.

Essentially to optimize your effective power and health you take take the armor pieces with the biggest stats and change to soldiers, and the remove valkyrie pieces and change them to zerker (with zerker trinkets)

The goal was put in the first post I think by Wish. The goal was to have >21k EH and get as much EP you can while staying >50 Crit change IIRC)

Of course it was the goal in this thread – essentially it was take Yishis build and make it more optimized.

I was running all valk with zerk weapons and zerk trinkets. If you run Soldiers weps, coat, hat, legs and zerk gloves, boots, shoulders and triks you get more EP at about the same EH.

Here is another thread discussing it : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Valkyrie-vs-Berserker/first#post3414502

OF course you can go full glass, but the premise of this long thread is that it doesn’t work well in WvW ymmv.

in Thief

SoulSin.5682

There is a issue about soldiers called Critical Damage.

I play both guardian and thief and i can tell that Crit Damage is important to thief as much Toughness is important to Guardian.

Going with Soldiers will greatly affect your CritD, making burst builds not viable. For ConD we already have Dire.

Confess though, I am going full glass at the moment. After a few months testing Valkyrie, I simply reached the conclusion that killing faster adds more to my survivality than 3k extra HP that don’t help that much.

in Thief

Posted by: Arkitech.9158

Arkitech.9158

meh, That theoretical stuff is all well and good, I this.
http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/thief/?7.0|8.5p.h15.8.5p.h19.d13.0.d13|c.5p.h1m.0.0.0.d13.0.0|5p.7i.5p.7i.5p.7i.5p.7i.5p.7i.5p.7i.0.0.0.0.0.0|2v.d13.2v.d13.3v.d19.2v.d13.3v.d17.2v.d13|a3.u28c.u46b.0.0|54.1|57.5f.5h.5b.5u|e

It preforms plenty well and has much lower theoretical values. Although with might uptime and the lack of calculation on Hidden Killer on both your build and mine and anyone else kinda makes those numbers inaccurate.

in Thief

Posted by: Emi.4152

Emi.4152

Hello,

i cannot find any updates? Whats the best balanced DD/DP build at the moment?

Thanks

d/d ‘balanced’ build completely depends on your skill level ^^ just keep in mind when reading this 8 month thread that this is before the ferocity nerf! you can no longer min max like ^ > <.

If you really cannot decide~ try using 1/3 power vit toughness and the rest zerker (for wvw) and slowly get rid of the pvt stuff until you notice a big big drop in survivablity, then that pretty much your ‘balance’

Yak’s Bend – Hello Kitty and Friends (aFK)
Lv 80 Thief – Emi Smacks / Lv 80 Ele – Emi Casts / Lv 80 Necro – Emi Nox