How high is the skill cap on a thief?

in Thief

Posted by: EnderzShadow.2506

EnderzShadow.2506

Q:

Since there is a bit of a misconception regarding my post, let me rephrase my questions.

If I wanted to grow in skill, what would a starter build look like and once I felt competent what would you try after that?

My goal in playing the thief is roaming in WvW. Small fights. 1v1 1v2, picking off stragglers.

Namely I just want to bullkitten aruond and have a good time doing it. Getting a group together in my opinion is a pain in the @ss and I don’t always have the time.

Shadowbane DarkAges Of Camelot WoW AION WarHammer GuildWars2

(edited by EnderzShadow.2506)

in Thief

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

I am not a great keybinder. I do not have the fastest reactions. Realizing those weaknesses, If I don’t have fast reactions and know my keybinds in a blink, am I going to completely suck on this class in WvW?

I know everyone likes to spout how pro they are. I don’t care really. I want to get honest opinions before I invest a lot of time into a new class—namely the thief.

2nd question, are there more forgiving and easier to play builds? I ask because I see posts like Jumpers, and how he has a build he reccomends, but people comment how high the skill cap is.

I’m thinking, maybe I can start easy and learn the simpler builds and go from there.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I’m pretty average. Thief requires faster reaction times than a lot of other classes. If you are talking about WvW roaming, then thief can wreck people whose builds are not meant for fighting alone or in small fights. However you will have to spend a lot of time practicing to fight against other roamers efficiently.

If you want to try out thief, I’d recommend starting out with Bemeric1’s stealth based Dagger/Pistol build for WvW roaming.

Ranger//Necro

in Thief

Posted by: Black Cat.1024

Black Cat.1024

I am not a great keybinder. I do not have the fastest reactions. Realizing those weaknesses, If I don’t have fast reactions and know my keybinds in a blink, am I going to completely suck on this class in WvW?

I know everyone likes to spout how pro they are. I don’t care really. I want to get honest opinions before I invest a lot of time into a new class—namely the thief.

2nd question, are there more forgiving and easier to play builds? I ask because I see posts like Jumpers, and how he has a build he reccomends, but people comment how high the skill cap is.

I’m thinking, maybe I can start easy and learn the simpler builds and go from there.

What do you guys think?

I’m pretty average. Thief requires faster reaction times than a lot of other classes. If you are talking about WvW roaming, then thief can wreck people whose builds are not meant for fighting alone or in small fights. However you will have to spend a lot of time practicing to fight against other roamers efficiently.

If you want to try out thief, I’d recommend starting out with Bemeric1’s stealth based Dagger/Pistol build for WvW roaming.

+1
His build definitely is a good way to start, lots of survivability with stealth, AOE blind and daze. It’s also pretty tanky with 30 toughness and 20 vit.
It also gives you a second to think what to do, or run away.
Here’s his vid – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRcTKt47ixk

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

Also note that his D/D build still works with D/P. Quite frankly, I think that dropping the 10 from CS for 20 in Acro is a complete waste of trait points and damage, but that’s a discussion for another topic.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

Posted by: Nilgoow.1037

Nilgoow.1037

If you’re 80, in Exotics, and running a PvP build you’ll outclass 99.9% of the people in WvW.

in Thief

Posted by: Sunshine.3415

Sunshine.3415

This is an average player saying this, but with builds like the S/D I wouldn’t say I’ve got better at it because of my reaction speed, I’d say it was down to experience with it and knowing what skills your enemy is using for when to dodge. Also trying to be as tricky to read as possible.

With D/D (the one Yishi uses) it’s about knowing when to land the CnD so you don’t waste it! Timing rather than reactive…

Again this is just an average joe here!

in Thief

Posted by: Llyren.3904

Llyren.3904

I think any player that has researched their class a bit can be usefull in a zerg or small group roam. I think the skill cap is higher the smaller the group you play in.

I do not think every player can be usefull as a solo roamer on every class.

I like to find the anchor points in a zerg, steal all their boons, and watch them explode. This free’s up my zerg’s damage to hit more squishies. I could go after squishies instead, but they take more time to explode then a buff filled bunker cause they run =D

in Thief

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP: Let me give you the easy answer. I’d say not to pick thief. Here is why.

Roaming: You need fast reaction times here. The reason is that a lot of times you will be fighting outnumbered. I would not pick the thief if your reaction times are slow

Zerging: This is much less about reaction time and more about knowing when you dodge and where to stand within the zerg. While you can definitely play this way, zerging is a weak point for the thief class overall. I’d recommend guard, warrior, or necro instead.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

Yea, I agree. Don’t choose a thief. To play this class to its max potential it requires fast reactions or you die.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

No

/thread

I dont wan’t to be a total prick so here google these, I cannot imagine playing without something like this.

Logitec g600
Razer Naga
Logitec G-Series keyboards (Specifically for their macros – Realize if you have more than 1 keystroke per macro you are breaking the game rules)

in Thief

Posted by: Bovinity.8610

Bovinity.8610

He said “without pro fast reactions” not “without mouse with extra buttons”.

Any sufficiently advanced skill is indistinguishable from luck.

(edited by Bovinity.8610)

in Thief

Posted by: Sizzle Hint.1820

Sizzle Hint.1820

He said “without pro fact reactions” not “without mouse with extra buttons”.

this haha

on topic: if you get focused by 3+ players and ure stunned and dont pop ur stunbreak quickly you will die rather quickly on any class (of course if the 3 players know what they are doing). Unless you spec yourself rather tanky / sustainable which every class can do to some extent (some better than others), i can tell you that the thief definetly has builds which can work if you do not have uber fast reactions. I would start with P/D → 0 / 0 / 30 / 20 / 20 full carrion.

in Thief

EnderzShadow.2506

What do you guys think?

+1
His build definitely is a good way to start, lots of survivability with stealth, AOE blind and daze. It’s also pretty tanky with 30 toughness and 20 vit.

Gotta love yishis. Wish he would explain just a little more. That’s video five and in six he goes back to a previous build. I’m new so understanding why he bounces between builds….well confuses the f *&%^ out of me.

I guess Ill just try both and see what plays smoother.

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

What do you guys think?

+1

Gotta love yishis. Wish he would explain just a little more. That’s video five and in six he goes back to a previous build. I’m new so understanding why he bounces between builds….well confuses the f *&%^ out of me.

I guess Ill just try both and see what plays smoother.

Basically, he swapped to D/P when revealed was nerfed to 4 seconds in WvW and then went back to D/D when it was reversed. He then shelved his Thief until Anet fixes various issues with the class. He now plays his Engineer primarily.

He said “without pro fast reactions” not “without mouse with extra buttons”.

Are you guys dumb? More mouse buttons = easier / faster reaction times. Use your dang brain.

This thread is dumb anyway “can I be a marathon runner with cerebral palsy?”

That is entirely subjective, with the limited amount of keys required in this game, rebinding the number keys to letters on your keyboard is just as effective depending on the player/key binds.

Also, your comment is distasteful as kitten, who are you to say that with someone with cerebral palsy can’t complete a marathon? kitten you.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

(edited by Incurafy.6329)

in Thief

EnderzShadow.2506

Zepi I didn’t $hi* on your idea, you tw@t. I don’t have anything against using a better mouse with more buttons.

I DO Not have a 80 thief. I was curious how the high the skill cap is.
I wan’t to be realistic. The mmo’s I have played as a stealth class have had perma stealth. I want to roam in WvW.

Taking into consideration ^^all that, I was considering between a Thief and a Ranger.

Thanks for the replies.

(edited by EnderzShadow.2506)

in Thief

Posted by: Miiro.3124

Miiro.3124

The orignal post here is strictly hilarious.

Who plays ANY video game with the attitude of “i suck and will continue to suck so what do i need to do to remain bad but still win fights”??? who?! Even 8 year old kids playing the most basic games want to get better at them over time. Thats what makes a game, improving and growing. But the amount of laziness here is something i cannot understand. You dont have to be pro but you can try, at least try.

You want to ask people for advice but you dont want to put forth any effort so whats the point? Why post? Why play?

Those are my thoughts, good luck to you sir.

[SAV] Miiro 80 Ranger
Jade Quarry Champion Hunter
Solo/Small man WvW

in Thief

EnderzShadow.2506

Never said I didn’t want to get better, reading comprehension for the win.

Let’s be honest, this is a video game. We sit on our kitten and stare at a screen.
Playing this game is lazy.

I want to play a spec that will help me become acquainted with the thief while being semi successful. In time I would like to switch to a more demanding spec.