Can't WvW

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: LumoPhoton.4517

LumoPhoton.4517

I got into this game for wvw, but find myself getting brootally rekt by everything I’ve ever fought. Especially other thieves. I currently use this build with deadly arts instead of shadow arts. I have full berserker yet I feel as if I have no damage. Any advice?

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Use: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/

First, don’t run zerker. Especially because if you are dead or trying to avoid becoming dead you have less time/focus on doing damage. You can do plenty of damage without running a so-called “glass build.”

With your link: Don’t take Shadow Refuge, it generally won’t give you an in combat advantage. Also, don’t take improv. — take executioner.

That build has a lot of deception skills so taking SA and using concealed defeat is better. The main problem with that build is the lack of synergy (it uses neither the reduced recharge trait for deception skills OR for tricks and then uses mostly deception/trick utilities. You need a build that compliments. Like taking BT in DD line and then using physical skills like Bandit’s Defense and Channelled Vigor. Unhindered Com. and Escapist’s Absol. are enough condition clear imo.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Anomaly.7612

Anomaly.7612

Instead of marauder, would Valk+Zerk/Valk work too? My stats are basically the same.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: CutesySylveon.8290

CutesySylveon.8290

I run with zerk gear with bandits defense, shadowstep and roll for ini; all stun breaks with very good utility. Having those 3 let’s me be a bit more aggressive because I know I have something ready to either get me out of trouble if I’m a bit over my head, or help with mind games and offense. I use SA, Trickery and DD with Escape A and unhindered with hide in shadows for heal. Gives me plenty of condi cleanse and good access to stealth with d/p. It works for me.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

A metabattle “build” isn’t really meaningful – they don’t really know what they’re advertising as well.
Since there’s little information about your build I’m guessing: If you run DA, use Rune of the Pack, otherwise you’ll have a hard time getting that extra crit. If you chose to go more defensive (= valk or marauder etc) run CS instead of DA. Pulling thief of as a beginner without SA is pretty tough – thief as a beginner is tough anyway.

ETA: But my ranger buddy who’s pretty old is a beginner D/P thief and he somehow sticks to it which is weird as at least half of the “NERF THIEF” threads on this forum could’ve been written by him.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Taobella.6597

Instead of marauder, would Valk+Zerk/Valk work too? My stats are basically the same.

Basically goal for 15k – 18k hp // 2k – 2.5k // 40 – 60 crit rate(with out fury) armor everything else is your choice.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

I got into this game for wvw, but find myself getting brootally rekt by everything I’ve ever fought. Especially other thieves. I currently use this build with deadly arts instead of shadow arts. I have full berserker yet I feel as if I have no damage. Any advice?

Are you solo roaming or running with a small group? Or running with the zerg?

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: LumoPhoton.4517

LumoPhoton.4517

Currently I am solo roaming, I changed my build and the trait’s are now similar to those of Sindrenerr’s spvp build. Also, my trinkets were awful, which I had not realized, and have since fixed that.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

Currently I am solo roaming, I changed my build and the trait’s are now similar to those of Sindrenerr’s spvp build. Also, my trinkets were awful, which I had not realized, and have since fixed that.

Ok, once you have the right build it is up to gear, experience (skill) and consumables. By “gear” I mean if you’re running exotic, your opponent might have ascended. And remember some builds (Dragon hunter, etc) are a pretty hard counter to thieves. Good luck!

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

Ok, once you have the right build it is up to gear, experience (skill) and consumables. By “gear” I mean if you’re running exotic, your opponent might have ascended. And remember some builds (Dragon hunter, etc) are a pretty hard counter to thieves. Good luck!

Yeah, once I have the money I’m going to drop close to $700 on this game to deck out my Thief in ascended and legendary gear. Doing WvW in exo’s and ascended trinks is just torture.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Jana.6831

Yeah, once I have the money I’m going to drop close to $700 on this game to deck out my Thief in ascended and legendary gear. Doing WvW in exo’s and ascended trinks is just torture.

If the balance weren’t that kitten it wouldn’t be too bad.
I started out as a valk/zerker D/D thief with a 200 ping, exo gear and ruby orbs and it still kind of worked because my spec wasn’t nerfed into oblivion back then.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

If the balance weren’t that kitten it wouldn’t be too bad.
I started out as a valk/zerker D/D thief with a 200 ping, exo gear and ruby orbs and it still kind of worked because my spec wasn’t nerfed into oblivion back then.

Yeah I use valk armor, valk/zerk trinks, zerk back and zerk weps and it just has no sustain. -.-

Can't WvW

in Thief

Jana.6831

Yeah I use valk armor, valk/zerk trinks, zerk back and zerk weps and it just has no sustain. -.-

Yeah – mostly the fault of the balance, ascended plays a very small role in that – I’m the same gear in ascended and have no sustain either.
If you’re happy with playing other classes just try an other class in exotic gear and see if it’s the same for them.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Zodryn.4216

Zodryn.4216

Holy cow. If you can’t win when at a 2-5% disadvantage, you really shouldn’t waste that much money for such a small gain. I run exotics with asc trinkets for 5 out of my 6 builds, I usually forget food and utilities, and I do just fine.

For $700 you could get some great PC upgrades, or other games/consoles, or any number of other things you may really like. Why use it to get a tiny % advantage in one mode of a game? You can get asc just playing the game anyway.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Taobella.6597

if you are still losing you probably engage wrong or you do not know how to fight.

i use my build as how to engage with that style because i have not seen you post one of your own.

first you need to understand what is important on traits
daredevil big thing is 50% endurance on steal + weakness on crit +dodge is – dmg mod and con removal.

deadly is weakness on posion. + dmg mod + CC

Trick is bonus initiative bar + cc + boons
——
so for fighting you want to try to avoid using steal to engage because by doing so your giving up 1.5 dodges + not likely to land intrup

so typically you go black powder > 4 heart seeker> running up to them to backstab auto attack

if you need to do it faster you go black powder > heart seeker > (over 300 range) shadow shot > backstab

set up intrup most people react at 1/4 of a second so just hit head shot after first auto attack of your backstab.

i hope that help abit with what you could be doing wrong.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

if you are still losing you probably engage wrong or you do not know how to fight.

i use my build as how to engage with that style because i have not seen you post one of your own.

first you need to understand what is important on traits
daredevil big thing is 50% endurance on steal + weakness on crit +dodge is – dmg mod and con removal.

deadly is weakness on posion. + dmg mod + CC

Trick is bonus initiative bar + cc + boons
——
so for fighting you want to try to avoid using steal to engage because by doing so your giving up 1.5 dodges + not likely to land intrup

so typically you go black powder > 4 heart seeker> running up to them to backstab auto attack

if you need to do it faster you go black powder > heart seeker > (over 300 range) shadow shot > backstab

set up intrup most people react at 1/4 of a second so just hit head shot after first auto attack of your backstab.

i hope that help abit with what you could be doing wrong.

Hmm, well I was definitely using steal wrong then, and here’s my build. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoaVl0MhSnY5Tw7Jw/ELwEmXa4M0Gm7gnwWoWCIAkBA-TVCEwAEeAAbVCi4EAkb/hHHCgO6bAcEAaq8zl6PBAQA4oBCBwaBA-w

Let me know what you think, what I can change, etc. The only dif I make sometimes is I’ll swap out Blinding Powder or Refuge for Roll For Initiative and take tricks clear condi and have less CD.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Taobella.6597

i would drop shadow refuge an pick up bandit defense it probably top utility on thief in game(think of it like 1.5 second endure pain that come with a free CC ) also flows better with impact disruption. and i would also run impact strike over basilisk vemons same reason expect impact strike second and final hit almost same amount of dmg as a backstab think of it casting 2 backstab with out stealthing.

main reason i take trickster over bountiful theft is it uses very bad boon ripping. where it first to last. unlike say new intrup sigil that rip boons it has set order in witch it steal them.

and even if con clear is not overly being used just withdraw the 14 second on heal is pretty good.

i would take weakening strike over havoc mastery just because your trying to goal for a high dmg build does not mean you can not become tanky. think of this way you have posion on your dagger + steal cause weakness + weakness on crit is effective up time of 9 seconds very 20 seconds lower your dmg taken by almost 50%. + you put dash ontop of it your dmg reduction get pretty insane.

for food you should run bountful maintenance because you really do not have stat to make use of it an only a loss of 1% crit rate over gaining 1s on all your boons.

for sigil i would drop sigil of blood and pick up sigil of draining because it does 2x more dmg then blood on same cd just need to intrup to get value from it. with the amount of CC you have on your build with that changes it pretty easy to do.

i hope all this info is helpful

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

i would drop shadow refuge an pick up bandit defense it probably top utility on thief in game(think of it like 1.5 second endure pain that come with a free CC ) also flows better with impact disruption. and i would also run impact strike over basilisk vemons same reason expect impact strike second and final hit almost same amount of dmg as a backstab think of it casting 2 backstab with out stealthing.

main reason i take trickster over bountiful theft is it uses very bad boon ripping. where it first to last. unlike say new intrup sigil that rip boons it has set order in witch it steal them.

and even if con clear is not overly being used just withdraw the 14 second on heal is pretty good.

i would take weakening strike over havoc mastery just because your trying to goal for a high dmg build does not mean you can not become tanky. think of this way you have posion on your dagger + steal cause weakness + weakness on crit is effective up time of 9 seconds very 20 seconds lower your dmg taken by almost 50%. + you put dash ontop of it your dmg reduction get pretty insane.

for food you should run bountful maintenance because you really do not have stat to make use of it an only a loss of 1% crit rate over gaining 1s on all your boons.

for sigil i would drop sigil of blood and pick up sigil of draining because it does 2x more dmg then blood on same cd just need to intrup to get value from it. with the amount of CC you have on your build with that changes it pretty easy to do.

Yes, thank you! Are pack runes still good? I’ve heard good things of daredevil runes as well. Also, I’m still skeptical on bountiful oil as it seems that extra 1% crit might be better than a little more might uptime (when I do have it) as crit rate is constant, but not might. Sigil of draining would definitely be great. Is it better than fire now?

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

It’s your build. Don’t run full glass. Also, if you’re running in a zerg you are backline, you dodge in, you dodge out. Take out the weak. If you’re roaming, you need to be comfortable flipping a camp on your own, and know when you’re outmatched. Shortbow 5 is your friend.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

It’s your build. Don’t run full glass. Also, if you’re running in a zerg you are backline, you dodge in, you dodge out. Take out the weak. If you’re roaming, you need to be comfortable flipping a camp on your own, and know when you’re outmatched. Shortbow 5 is your friend.

What’s the fastest way to flip a camp with a Thief? Do you swap out D/P for S/P?

Can't WvW

in Thief

Jana.6831

What’s the fastest way to flip a camp with a Thief? Do you swap out D/P for S/P?

Shortbow and daggerstorm – the rest is up to you.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Taobella.6597

Yes, thank you! Are pack runes still good? I’ve heard good things of daredevil runes as well. Also, I’m still skeptical on bountiful oil as it seems that extra 1% crit might be better than a little more might uptime (when I do have it) as crit rate is constant, but not might. Sigil of draining would definitely be great. Is it better than fire now?

because your crit rate so low pack probably best option for you daredevil would be good but it combo better with bounding dodger. with dash you probably always be in a bad spot where that crit going to get value. also with pack you get 100% up time on fury.

sigil of draining to see number is roughly 2k dmg on intrup on 5 second CD
sigil of fire is roughly 1k can hit 5 target on 5 second CD

so unless you are always hitting 2 target it dmg loss.

to answer your question on how to take a camp what you do is run in to camp try to pull them so all stack up against a wall then pop dagger storm spam cluster shot it should clear everything in about 2 minutes.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

I actually run staff now… Dagger/Dagger or Dagger/pistol is good. I haven’t seen a sword on a thief in WvW in a long time really… I mean it’s ok if you’re able to go around alone and stack yourself in a corner for a camp, but if you run into another player… you’re likely meat.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

because your crit rate so low pack probably best option for you daredevil would be good but it combo better with bounding dodger. with dash you probably always be in a bad spot where that crit going to get value. also with pack you get 100% up time on fury.

sigil of draining to see number is roughly 2k dmg on intrup on 5 second CD
sigil of fire is roughly 1k can hit 5 target on 5 second CD

so unless you are always hitting 2 target it dmg loss.

to answer your question on how to take a camp what you do is run in to camp try to pull them so all stack up against a wall then pop dagger storm spam cluster shot it should clear everything in about 2 minutes.

Do I need more crit chance then as well?

Can't WvW

in Thief

Taobella.6597

at 44 % it on low end with fury 64% is fine you do not really need it higher then that just if you drop pack you lose 10 second of fury means you only have fury on steal you do not want to waste it just to have stat buff.

if you wanted to run another rune set you have to think about raising your crit rate to 50% base line

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

at 44 % it on low end with fury 64% is fine you do not really need it higher then that just if you drop pack you lose 10 second of fury means you only have fury on steal you do not want to waste it just to have stat buff.

if you wanted to run another rune set you have to think about raising your crit rate to 50% base line

What would I have to do if I wanted to run Scholar Runes? I’ve heard more praise for them than Pack.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Taobella.6597

when i ran power thief in WvW i prefer strength but if you wanted to go with scholar i would recommend trying to hit 60 – 70% crit rate with fury because your goaling to end a fight in 3 seconds after you get hit that set basically dead weight.

if you want to run that rune set i would suggest picking up signet of agility to boost your crit rate up with out having to really change your gear around.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

when i ran power thief in WvW i prefer strength but if you wanted to go with scholar i would recommend trying to hit 60 – 70% crit rate with fury because your goaling to end a fight in 3 seconds after you get hit that set basically dead weight.

if you want to run that rune set i would suggest picking up signet of agility to boost your crit rate up with out having to really change your gear around.

What would be most optimal for my gear right now, then? In terms of food and runes.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Taobella.6597

i think it fine what you are running you should honestly have no problem killing 80% of people in WvW

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

i think it fine what you are running you should honestly have no problem killing 80% of people in WvW

Awesome! There’s this mantra-ish mesmer build that I’ve seen lately that’s been ripping me to shreds in seconds though. I’d actually love to play a Mez in WvW. xD So much utility.

Can't WvW

in Thief

Fat Disgrace.4275

I run base 50% crit chance with 2754 power 16k health 205 crit dmg and 2300 armour and scrapper runes. It’kitten and miss for s/d thief but playing dp or staff I crit for 9k back stabs or 8-9k vaults.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

Can't WvW

in Thief

Anomaly.7612

I run base 50% crit chance with 2754 power 16k health 205 crit dmg and 2300 armour and scrapper runes. It’kitten and miss for s/d thief but playing dp or staff I crit for 9k back stabs or 8-9k vaults.

That sounds awesome. Build link?

Can't WvW

in Thief

Fat Disgrace.4275

Ok so the stats I said we’re slightly out. But you can reach them with world bonus through out the week.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQJAWVn0MBlOhdPBGmC8PhFYCbuDWCbhephzQbQLBEA2NA-TFDEABMp8JiDBw+7P4v6FAqE8hjIg76aM4CIQwDIAgDEQiqoIlSoNDDAnhIIiImZmZ6ERmpUACK0C-w